Overstock.com Customer Service Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

1.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Overstock.com CEO Patrick M. Byrne
Patrick M. Byrne

Pros
  • In my department I have excellent work/life balance (in 66 reviews)

• Great environment with great people (in 41 reviews)

"Customer Service, Chat"

Former Employee - Customer Service Chat Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Chat Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

I loved having the power to make decisions for my customers. There were guidelines, but not many hard and fast rules. Annual company picnic was great fun. Working from home was amazing.

Cons

I didn't make enough to be able to afford to live as a single parent. Better and more flexibility would have been nice. Changing a schedule was like moving a mountain. Stress, Stress, Stress.

Advice to Management

Don't just say that you love your employees, actually do it. There was more talking about how great you treat your employees than there was action. Walk the Walk.

"Too many chiefs....,"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pros are becoming less and less each passing day.

Cons

There are too many chiefs in customer care and every single one if them seems to be going in a different direction. One day it's this way and the next day it's that way. It gets a little confusing. Work life balance is non existent. It's work and then when the company decides you can have a life you get one. In the meantime you lose out on time with friends and family. Your schedule can change at a moments notice. At one time there was the support of quality and training but that's now left up to the leads. The qa department sits in some back room, scores calls and then the leads coach. Same with training. They train the leads leads and then it's up to the leads to train us. I know in my team there are 19 people so the lead is hardly ever around. Of course we have wolves walking the floor and daily inspirational quotes *gag* the only way to get anywhere in customer care is by knowing someone. The CEO gets on here and claims plenty of people get promoted through customer care but only if they know some one or do some one

Advice to Management

Get a clear direction, stop hiring managers. Get rid if Washington, they are not the golden children. Figure out a better schedule for worklife balance. Close on the weekends. Plenty if call centers do just fine as M-F

"Customer service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Got to learn a lot about life and how it's the big people that win

Cons

Pay is the worst. Depressing work place and people. Patrick Byrne the CEO is the the worst.

5. "Pretty good place to work"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

They have company events like lagoon day, and in Octoboer they have a free concert for employees with free food and drinks (even alcoholic). They're a fun company and the calls you take aren't so bad.

Cons

Basic call centers cons, rude customers. My biggest issue was that they were not willing to work with my schedule, even after a year of working there.

"CS-5years working there"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Valley City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The 'extras'. Lagoon Day, benefits, counseling (get this it's on-site..that should tell you something), Overstocktober celebrations.

Cons

Have PTO? Too bad, you can't use it. Work/Home life balance is awful! Don't speak up or speak out about things that may be wrong, you will get fired. It's the new tyrant CS VP leader, don't let her fool you, she's the devil in disguise. The Overstock they once were and boasted about is dead. There's too many cons I could go on for days so I'll end it here.

Advice to Management

Boot the new girl out! She's No Good For You! Treat CS like people!

"Welcome to the communist block"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not many. Having Stormy gone is a bonus. There is PTO but you can't use it.

Cons

So so many. Don't let them tell you there is work/life balance. There is not. Having the tyrant "not wonder woman" who is over CS is taking its toll on everyone.

Advice to Management

Quit treating people like numbers. Let the mature adults be mature adults and quit catering to the millenials with a poor work ethic. Quit punishing the masses when the few are the issue.

8. "Customer Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, Excellent People, Simple tasks, Young Environment, Progressive and Innovative, No drug test

Cons

High Call Volume, Unprofessional Atmosphere, Favoritism, Inexperienced Quality Coaches and management, No drug test

Advice to Management

Wage adjustments based on experience in customer service and a call center environment, multiple years of in-house experience or QA in prior call center environments.

"Customer service"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I have become friends with well working here.

Cons

Overstock.com doesn't give a crap about it's employees or laws governing Fmla leave. I took off two days in a role Fmla leave with doctors notes and everything to help out a sick family member. I come back to work as a customer service representative and the first thing they do is write me up for missing two days Fmla approved and tell me if I miss one more day even Fmla approved I'm fired. This company is very very shady unless you're friends with the right people. Beware they don't mind breaking laws to get rid of you. Most corrupt customer service department I've ever worked in.

Advice to Management

Stop protecting your BFF and hiring idiots.

Overstock.com Response

May 26, 2016

We take FMLA seriously and comply fully with the standards set by the Department of Labor. Sounds like you have some concerns and we definitely want to address them. Please contact People Care to ... More

"7 Years and nothing to show"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I used to love working here and the possibilities they provided.

Cons

I have watched this place go through some changes both big and small, over the last year I feel like no one cares and you are just a number. They talk about a work life balance it never happens. I have had some of the worst leadership here. I left because of it and made the mistake of returning because I was told it was better. If your part of the "favored people" its great you can do what you want to and nothing matters. If your just a call center employee then your just that a number that can and will be replaced once your manager has enough on you. They will not work with you or provide coaching to advance even while telling you to your face they are. Your wrong for feeling that way.

Advice to Management

Pay as much attention to your low level employees they will make or break the company. Your pushing out the long time customer service employee's to other companies because of the toxic atmosphere.

"Will LHM turn the new stadium into a car lot?"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Liberal minded people, Close to the freeway

Cons

The CEO needs to take the wheel of this company before it runs into the ditch. You have a call center with brand new people on the phone, (in training), taking your Christmas rush calls, giving away the farm, creating more tasks, and losing your most valued customers. You need to pay a living wage to your call center employees, don't try to be a Teleperformance or a Convergys, but try to be an online retailer with qualified employees. The entry level wage that the company is paying doesn't buy a good trainee, the trainee quits right out of their training class.
    The typical cost of turnover for positions earning less than $30,000 annually is 16 percent of an employee’s annual salary. Overstock had an opportunity to keep valued employees but let people walk. Now we have brand new employees creating issues on the phone, losing our valued customers (the big spenders you didn’t want to lose). I’m not sure when the big announcement of the loss is coming (first quarter of 2016), but the big O walked over dollars to save a few nickels. Our compensation would be fine if we would compensate the workers who work, and not the top 7 executives who are tubing the company.
    Overstock had over 150 employees apply to Jet.com because the wage at Overstock.com was not competitive. Jet.com was not the only company that pilfered our employees because our executives failed to address wages. Our company treats our employees like Overstock items and we put dedicated employees on the street right before Christmas. We had good people who had job offers at other companies leave because Overstock was not willing to pay a living wage. We have security cameras on the fridge instead of paying a living wage. We have executives writing phony 5 star reviews instead of addressing the problems inside the company.
    The company hires a person to oversee the call center floor who wants to turn the place into an authoritarian concentration camp. The lady hired sends out mean emails threatening termination of employees for not taking enough calls. The big solution to our call center woes was sending in a person who has an online degree from a “diploma mill” to use antiquated management styles. What O.co doesn’t understand is all of these people you hired for your training classes have four other offers on the table, you treat them like crap they walk…just like that.

Advice to Management

Compensate employees. Get rid of your president (she's childish, bomb the pearls), CEO needs to get involved or the silver spoon will turn into nickle.