Overstock.com Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Overstock.com CEO Patrick M. Byrne
Patrick M. Byrne

Pros
  • There are some reviews here that claim work/life balance is poor (in 65 reviews)

• Great environment with great people (in 40 reviews)

1. "Financial Manager"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The new facility is terrific: onsite day care, fitness center, physician, and cafeteria. Additionally, there are a lot of opportunities for upward and sideward mobility. If you get in, but it's not a good fit, there's a good chance you can change positions without changing companies. Another perk is a CEO who listens to and responds to employees. We get to vote on what benefits we want to receive and make anonymous suggestions that are actually heard and acted on.

Cons

It's a big company so there are a lot of inefficiencies that can make work more difficult. Workstations are small and lack privacy. The parking lot is a half mile from the front door.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employee voices and empower the people on the front line. The building Nucleus needs to be improved: it's difficult to access and honestly not a great destination.

"Real Talk"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Midvale, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Midvale, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They give a wide range of experience and autonomy as a product manager. I keep on coming back since I get to do everything! Executives much rather play chess than define strategy so both the strategy and execution falls to you.

Cons

Nepotism runs rampant. The best and pretty much only way to get promoted is to be related to or drinking buddies with the President. Not being in their inner circle, I fought for years to get promoted despite better numbers than others who were in the know. I can’t feel too bad though, there are only 2 females at or above the VP level anyway in a company of 1800. Not to mention they turned away top 10 MBA candidates for Product Manager roles stating they were under-qualified. At Amazon they would have been Senior Product Managers.

Advice to Management

Focus on millennials, there is no strategy to reach them.
    Focus on professional development. A flat org is good, until you only see your manager for a combined 30 minutes every quarter.
    Don't sell child care as a perk when it costs half of a PM salary to send your child there.
    And finally, don't tell certain employees to write reviews. Most of these "positive" reviews were prompted.

"Fast-paced atmosphere with amazing growth opportunities"

Current Employee - Senior Operations Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Operations Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love the new president. He's making great changes that are focusing the company and creating ROI. New campus is awesome and really increased morale.

Cons

Work and pressure are imbalanced between departments. Some teams work 65+ weeks while others work 35. Minds change quickly when performance is weak, while making long-term strategies harder to implement

Advice to Management

Good changes, just need a great long-term strategy.

"Things just got much better"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

Stormy Simon, the president of the company and probably at the root of most of the negative reviews on this site, just resigned. I cannot overstate what good news this is for the organization. Huge. Like an enormous black cloud lifting. Now we can get back to business in earnest.

Cons

Unfortunately, many of the truly outstanding people she ran off or fired will never return. This is a true tragedy.

Advice to Management

Learn from Stormy's reign of fear. Never give a single executive so much unchecked power again. And Patrick, please always be open to the possibility that you're being massively hoodwinked, as you were for about five years.

"Great please"

Current Employee - Manager in Stansbury park, Tooele, UT
    Current Employee - Manager in Stansbury park, Tooele, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com (More than a year)

Pros

Overstock is a great place to work. They take care of all of their agents

Cons

Noithing. I love everything about my job

Overstock.com Response

May 23, 2016

Great to hear that you love it here!

"Too much politics and bad work enviornment"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

U learn quickly because it's fast paced. The new building is good. If you survive 10 yrs...you get to go to the party for 10 yr olds.

Cons

The stock prices have plunged from $20 to close to $12 in just last 6-8 months. Company is on downfall. Upper management is a nightmare, it's more of a political battlefield than a work place. Employes are talked to in a bad tone and get publicly humiliated.
    There is no documentation for work done in past. Every new manager for the same role starts from scrach and knows no history.
    The sword of termination is always hanging on your neck.

Advice to Management

As if they have ears? Stop humiliating people, they can work wonders for you if you give them the right envoirnment.

"Good company with great work/life balance"

Current Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance. Flexible scheduling. Great company culture. Cares about employees, customers and the environment.

Cons

For me, the location is not ideal. That will change with the new office though. Salary is not terribly competitive.

Advice to Management

Trust your directors and managers more. They know their disciplines well and can be a great resource.

"Awesome"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work environment, company ethic, employees are treated very well.

Cons

I can't think of any. I honestly love working here.

"Lots of opportunity despite the crazy"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great technology stack and good focus on sending tech people to conferences and training
    Lots of interesting projects
    401K match is one of the best I've seen
    Benefits are mediocre but not the worst out there...still put them in the pros
    Lots of fun collaborative opportunities and events
    A lot of movement and ability to advance in roles if you have the drive

Cons

Lots of key leaders have left the company recently, particularly those that understood the technology
    A ton of tech debt that never gets priority even though it's promised it will be slotted into the next phase

Advice to Management

Focus and complete what you started before moving on to the next sexy project.

11. "Don't know what you've got 'til it's gone"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

After having experienced two other corporate environments in the brief period of time since I left Overstock, I wish this review could be all pros. Wonderful culture, promotion from within, engaged and intelligent colleagues, great resources and investment in forward-looking projects, competitive compensation and great benefits; I could easily go on. To sum it all up I'll just say that Overstock is the one business I've worked at that truly allows it's employees to achieve whatever professional goals they have, providing assistance and the tools to do so along the way.

Cons

Since it can't be all pros I will note that while I felt well-compensated during my time there, with regular raises and good bonuses, I did have colleagues who felt somewhat underpaid relative to other people with similar titles at different companies. I personally chalk this up to the absurdly low cost of living in Salt Lake City, especially when compared to working in the Northeast or Pacific Northwest. I should also note that when some of those colleagues sought better pay (and were deserving of it) they were able to get it.

Advice to Management

Continue on the path you've trod so well recently; you've guided this company towards great success, and in doing so you've earned the full faith and trust of your employees.