Overstock.com Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Overstock.com CEO Patrick M. Byrne
Patrick M. Byrne

Pros
  • There are some reviews here that claim work/life balance is poor (in 64 reviews)

• Great environment with great people (in 40 reviews)

Cons

"Overstock Saved my Life"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Cheap cafeteria with great food, excellent benefits, on site daycare, flexible management and hours, some of the smartest people in eCommerce all under the same roof.

Overstock pays well relative to the industry. Overstock pays INCREDIBLY well relative to the rest of the Wasatch front. The CEO, President, SVPs have all been at Overstock (with few exceptions) 5+ years. The people who built the business are running it.

Cons

There are people with bad attitudes who think the CEO is poor at his job. Mind you he's been CEO 15+ years and has, I'm sure, done a lot of smart tap dancing to keep that job.

There are layoffs but only for poor performers who have been warned multiple times.

Don't get caught up with the negative people crowd, they will drag you down. They hated the last president, she's gone, now they're nit picking new leadership.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Real Talk"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Midvale, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Midvale, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They give a wide range of experience and autonomy as a product manager. I keep on coming back since I get to do everything! Executives much rather play chess than define strategy so both the strategy and execution falls to you.

Cons

Nepotism runs rampant. The best and pretty much only way to get promoted is to be related to or drinking buddies with the President. Not being in their inner circle, I fought for years to get promoted despite better numbers than others who were in the know. I can’t feel too bad though, there are only 2 females at or above the VP level anyway in a company of 1800. Not to mention they turned away top 10 MBA candidates for Product Manager roles stating they were under-qualified. At Amazon they would have been Senior Product Managers.

Advice to Management

Focus on millennials, there is no strategy to reach them.
    Focus on professional development. A flat org is good, until you only see your manager for a combined 30 minutes every quarter.
    Don't sell child care as a perk when it costs half of a PM salary to send your child there.
    And finally, don't tell certain employees to write reviews. Most of these "positive" reviews were prompted.

3. "Financial Manager"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The new facility is terrific: onsite day care, fitness center, physician, and cafeteria. Additionally, there are a lot of opportunities for upward and sideward mobility. If you get in, but it's not a good fit, there's a good chance you can change positions without changing companies. Another perk is a CEO who listens to and responds to employees. We get to vote on what benefits we want to receive and make anonymous suggestions that are actually heard and acted on.

Cons

It's a big company so there are a lot of inefficiencies that can make work more difficult. Workstations are small and lack privacy. The parking lot is a half mile from the front door.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employee voices and empower the people on the front line. The building Nucleus needs to be improved: it's difficult to access and honestly not a great destination.

"Work that is rewarding with opportunities"

Current Employee - Merchandising Manager
    Current Employee - Merchandising Manager

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Richest benefit program I have ever been a part of
    A company that takes actions when needed
    Analytics drive decisions
    Employees have a voice (should they chose to use it wisely)
    The people make the difference!
    Great work life balance with onsite amenities that improve the work environment and quality of life.

Cons

Change of directions with recent change to management can be hard to follow and know your direction.
    The other reviews that people get let go is not inaccurate, though from my view and observation is that these people were on their way out anyways with their work ethic and attitude..Just because we have ping pong tables doesn't mean you should spend 25% of your PAID time there. I am glad to see the company action these behaviors appropriately. Though, as a side effect some people do fear for their job. (Answer is to just do yours and don't worry about others)

Advice to Management

Dig a little more into the details to expose opportunities for growth at all levels. As opposed to just doing something because it goes with the standard or seems to be sensible

"Fast-paced atmosphere with amazing growth opportunities"

Current Employee - Senior Operations Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Operations Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love the new president. He's making great changes that are focusing the company and creating ROI. New campus is awesome and really increased morale.

Cons

Work and pressure are imbalanced between departments. Some teams work 65+ weeks while others work 35. Minds change quickly when performance is weak, while making long-term strategies harder to implement

Advice to Management

Good changes, just need a great long-term strategy.

"Things just got much better"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

Stormy Simon, the president of the company and probably at the root of most of the negative reviews on this site, just resigned. I cannot overstate what good news this is for the organization. Huge. Like an enormous black cloud lifting. Now we can get back to business in earnest.

Cons

Unfortunately, many of the truly outstanding people she ran off or fired will never return. This is a true tragedy.

Advice to Management

Learn from Stormy's reign of fear. Never give a single executive so much unchecked power again. And Patrick, please always be open to the possibility that you're being massively hoodwinked, as you were for about five years.

"Great please"

Current Employee - Manager in Stansbury park, Tooele, UT
    Current Employee - Manager in Stansbury park, Tooele, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com (More than a year)

Pros

Overstock is a great place to work. They take care of all of their agents

Cons

Noithing. I love everything about my job

Overstock.com Response

May 23, 2016

Great to hear that you love it here!

"Too much politics and bad work enviornment"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

U learn quickly because it's fast paced. The new building is good. If you survive 10 yrs...you get to go to the party for 10 yr olds.

Cons

The stock prices have plunged from $20 to close to $12 in just last 6-8 months. Company is on downfall. Upper management is a nightmare, it's more of a political battlefield than a work place. Employes are talked to in a bad tone and get publicly humiliated.
    There is no documentation for work done in past. Every new manager for the same role starts from scrach and knows no history.
    The sword of termination is always hanging on your neck.

Advice to Management

As if they have ears? Stop humiliating people, they can work wonders for you if you give them the right envoirnment.

"Good company with great work/life balance"

Current Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance. Flexible scheduling. Great company culture. Cares about employees, customers and the environment.

Cons

For me, the location is not ideal. That will change with the new office though. Salary is not terribly competitive.

Advice to Management

Trust your directors and managers more. They know their disciplines well and can be a great resource.

"Awesome"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work environment, company ethic, employees are treated very well.

Cons

I can't think of any. I honestly love working here.