Overstock.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Overstock.com CEO Patrick M. Byrne
Patrick M. Byrne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • In my department I have excellent work/life balance (in 69 reviews)

• Great environment with great people (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management all has different ideas of what they want (in 64 reviews)

• Institute a better work life balance policy (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Caring, Passionate, Exciting place to work!"

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Coworkers and management are very personable, and easy to get ahold of. They are eager to answer questions and to collaborate with you
    - Competitive pay with great growth opportunities
    - People are everything with this company, whether they are customers or internal. Everyone here ultimately helps the customer, so there is no job considered job
    - Work/life balance
    - Amazing perks! Fitness center, great cafe, greenhouse, and so many great classes that you are encouraged to take for free
    - You create your own experience - the company has a lot to offer, but you have to participate, collaborate, and help make the changes that you want to see

Cons

Nothing so far, but if you are not comfortable seeking out the things you want to learn or who you want to learn from then it could be a problem

Overstock.com Response

Jul 11, 2017 – Vice President

Thank you for this feedback. We like seeing 5-star reviews. We’re so happy to see that you’re enjoying your work at Overstock.

"Great place to innovate"

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

The management at Overstock allows people to own their projects and drive them towards success.

Cons

No cons as of yet.

"Marketing"

Current Employee - Marketing in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Marketing in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, beautiful building, onsite amenities, love the people I work with. They really try to provide choice for Benefits and onsite activities to make life’s easier and convenient.

Cons

Too many fires, pet projects, no task organization, one day this project and the next day change in plans, people in positions That have no clue (this is bad and frustrating) across all departments. People that have been there a long time are arrogant and do not offer fresh new ideas because they have never experienced anything else.

Advice to Management

Don’t just think comments here are disgruntled employees. I love it at Overstock, but agree with most cons. Most people looking up see things different than people looking down from the top.

"Great Place for Entrepreneurs"

Current Employee - Product Management in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Product Management in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like to think of working at Overstock as a being in a startup with the backstop of a large and stable company. The opportunities are nearly endless, and the projects we work on, while clearly moving toward a multi-year vision, are iterative and inform what follows; so while the multi-year is clear, the 3-6 month isn't always due to the nature of working on greenfield projects at the bleeding edge of technology. The great thing about that is that each person gets to help define how we get to our end game, while having clarity around what that end game is.

Cons

Overstock isn't a great place for people who are uncomfortable operating in the unknown. Unfortunately, the fact is that when you're building things that haven't been built before, that's exactly where you have to operate.

Advice to Management

The last year has seen the most rapid and exciting growth that I've ever been a part of. Keep it up.

"Company to work for"

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Test Engineer

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best people, Knowledgeable co-workers, Latest technology to learn

Cons

Not came across so far

"love my programming job here!"

Current Employee - Senior Front End Developer
    Current Employee - Senior Front End Developer

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at the o resembles a crazy ride. It's loaded with fun, fervor and prizes. In my tenure here, my group received a totally new technology opportunity, implemented node + react without any history within the organisation. The executives were extremely supportive about it, and let us work through the kinks. I am glad for what we have assembled, it's a high performing application and slick piece of code. I feel my bosses are extremely open to changes and consider our ideas important. My group is quite aggressive and there's a whole lot to learn from my companions constantly. Everybody knows that we need to be more effective and do well for the organisation. I see around that individuals are endeavouring to work out of the monolith, yet not at a speed we would all like. In any case, I comprehend that we have to work inside specific constraints.

Cons

As everybody says, beyond any doubt, a portion of the executives could improve the situation. However, the vast majority of the other contrary surveys are composed by individuals who don't want to adjust to the changes. In any case, they don't realise that this industry is so dynamic and evolving so fast, and we cannot survive on the off chance that we don't act accordingly.
    I wish we were even more aggressive in trying out new technologies/tools.

Advice to Management

Having more long term strategy would be great. Also, you can still improve communication. We really need more devs in order to achieve everything we want to.

"Purpose Driven Company"

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

Overstock strives to do the right things for the right reasons. I've worked for many companies, and this is one that tries to act on values before $'s. Patrick (CEO/Founder) genuinely tries to put the interest of employees as a priority. I think some on these postings don't realize that tough choices need to be made between maintaining a business while trying to maximize the needs of employees. Patrick and the executive team try to strike that balance. I'm appreciative of the awesome facility and amenities.

Cons

eCommerce is a tough competitive environment. That environment can feed the company's whipsaw shifts in tactics. I hope we can create greater stability to win our niche of this fast growing market.

Advice to Management

Need to invest in the long-term versus short-term gains only.

"Rampage in Demand Fulfillment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

co-workers make the days bearable, gaining experience for the next adventure. Lagoon day and Overstocktober

Cons

Unreasonable leadership in merchandising, supply chain and customer care. People are berated and belittled on these teams from entry level to executive with no consequence. He has a go to saying of "give me one throat to choke" and has leveled threats multiple times in multiple meetings toward executives, directors and managers. We are still waiting to see who the casualty/casualties will be from a meeting in October/November when he specifically said to a meeting of "leaders" to "just tell me who I am going to fire in January". While we all understand that in business some people are not nice, we were told after the last regime left that the days of brow beating were over. Apparently the leader did not get the memo. The most unfortunate part about this is he is being enabled by his boss since this has been brought up many times (in his 360 review which was ignored, by other executives which has been ignored and to HR which has been ignored, granted I do not know about this latest "anonymous" peer review). He is now at a point he actually is taking credit for the hard work of his people. He also has decided that just taking credit for their work isn't going far enough he has taken to discrediting his "subordinates" airing his frustrations to executives, contractors, and subordinates. BE CAREFUL if you apply for a job in his areas chances are you will be on the receiving end of his ire, berating, condescending remarks and or passive aggressive tactics.

Advice to Management

I know this was your big hire, a big win to steal him from the biggest of big box stores, but at what cost to the organization. Please rein him in. This goes well beyond driving a team

"shiny on the outside, scary on the inside"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Murray, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Murray, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- very laid back, almost too laid back
    - good benefits
    - nice building

Cons

- management
    Let me elaborate. You entire lifespan at Overstock will depend on which team you end up on, and which cliques you brown-nose yourself into. If you are lucky, you will have a manager who will shield you from most of senior management's odd ways of operating which include but are not limited to: rapid fire projects that have no consistency (not to mention developer requirements), projects with impossible deadlines that come paired with immediate blockers, or just no sense of direction at all. Mixing these inevitable scenarios, you are left with a system riddled with tech-debt, an analytics platform that no one trusts, and never ending quick-win assignments that only pile on more garbage to the obvious crumbling infrastructure that our drunk leaders call a "tech-company".

- false promises
    If the lies about salary being above market value weren't enough, leadership also likes to tease their developers with bonuses and bounties that historically have not been delivered on. Miss the bounty deadline by a day? Dang, no bonus, but we still need that project out there, and yesterday. This carrot-on-a-string strategy has further distanced teams that used to work well together as everyone is now after their own profits.

Advice to Management

It seems as if people have been trying to give you advice, maybe it's time to step back and start listening.

"Things are looking up"

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

Great building with beer Friday’s, company events like Overstocktober and Lagoon Day
    Recent departure of some very poor leadership

Cons

Passive aggressive hostility runs rampant (not uncommon to hear “who’s my one throat to choke” from people who call themselves Sr Leaders
    Crappy leaders get to stay around making people miserable for way too long
    Sr. Leadership is filled with a bunch of misogynistic pigs
    Too many pet projects taking precedence over running the business
    Pay is way under market value for most positions
    PTO accruals are way too small
    Training is a joke (how about you train people instead of sending an email)
    All talk and promises with little to no results or follow through

Advice to Management

Stop wasting time and energy on leaders who don’t lead. You have a lot of talent busting their butts trying to prove themselves daily. Open your eyes and take notice of those people.