Overstock.com Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Overstock.com CEO Patrick M. Byrne
Patrick M. Byrne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work life balance and good benefits" (in 74 reviews)

• "Great environment with great people" (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • "Nepotism from the upper management in every department" (in 65 reviews)

• "Little to no work life balance up to 70 hour weeks in Q4" (in 18 reviews)

"International Logistics Specialist"

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

A great opportunity to learn and grow among several different teams with a specialzied focus. Great location with amazing amenities as well.

Cons

It is tough to be noticed if you do not take the initiative to make yourself known to others.

2. "Flexible work schedule and good benefits."

Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great leadership members and co-workers. Many different advancement opportunities.

Cons

High turnover rate and the job responsibilities change very frequently, but other than that there are not too many Cons in my opinion.

3. "Fun Company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm a Boomerang (someone who has left Overstock and come back), just like many of the best people I have worked with in Utah. I left because the tech culture was stifling, but came back because a former colleague convinced me that had changed.

I have to say I love my new job. I am able to use cutting-edge technologies that allow me to be super-productive. I always loved the fun and diverse culture at Overstock and I'm glad to see those aspects of the company still thriving. While the companies in California pride themselves in their diversity, I'd say Overstock is even more diverse that what I experienced in California in that Overstock embraces even intellectual diversity.

I've always loved that Patrick (the CEO) is one of the few outspoken people that is willing to put his money where his mouth is, not because of hopes of some kind of political or other gain, but because he believes it is right.

Cons

We had some recent layoffs and they are a bummer. A few of my friends were affected. It's tough, but it seems that many of the people let go had grown apart from Overstock and it may have been the best thing for all involved. Others were laid off because a huge ramp in hiring and marketing spend did not work out as expected, so the company, unfortunately, had to reset it's bearings.

Beyond that, some employees are bothered by the frequent changes in direction, which is a totally valid concern, but it's been the same at any other company I've worked and it honestly stopped bothering me before I even started at Overstock the first time. I am super-optimistic, however, about the new management as they are moving in the direction of customer and data-driven decision making, which I have come to believe is the best way to build and run a business.

Advice to Management

Keep moving toward customer and data-driven decision making.

"The higher up you get, the more of a joke this place is"

Current Employee - Marketing in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Marketing in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-The building is new
    -The building is unique
    -People ask, "Overstock... is that that round building in Midvale? "
    -Standing and sitting desks
    -Collaborative environment
    -Comfy furniture in the office
    -There are nice people to work with
    -The view can be great depending on where you are in the building
    -Subsidized daycare (starting at $860/month for a 6 week old, full time only)
    -on site gym for free
    -Subsidized on sight bon appetite cafe food

Cons

Favoritism is big here at Overstock. At first you think its all about performance and how well you do your job, but as you get to know people, become familiar with senior leadership, you start to understand that a lot of people are where they are, because who they are friends with (they hand out VP and Director titles like candy). There is a very tight knit group of senior leadership, they all started at Overstock about the same time and are all high up in the company even though you see them wandering around not doing anything (CMO is a very hardworking guy, the rest are "cool guys"). Senior leadership is a joke here. It's hard to get them all on the same page. No one wants to be the guy to have the final say as to what to do for sure. It's a lot of... well I can see both options, so and so what do you think? Senior leadership doesn't have a backbone. Also, they are terrible at planning. They have a "hire now because we need projects done and lay them off later" mentality. Overstock is trying to get acquired so they decide that because of the CEOs poor ability to plan and blow a whole bunch of spend and how that will affect the company, they decide that layoffs need to happen to make it look like they are a smooth, trimmed, operating machine, then try to cover up the layoff reasoning with problems with SEO and Google. I look around the office and see and hear people that got laid off because of "performance issues" but yet I see people still there, higher management, that all they do is wander around the office and chat to people. Good luck challenging the status quo too. You start to even question and challenge upper management, they will either burn you or make your life very difficult. If you want to work for a company that promotes based on your friends, go for it. Overstock SAYS they promote work life balance, value the employee and the little guys, and care and cherish your hard work, but at the end of the day, there is a forever growing gap of upper management and the average worker. As long as Overstock makes money, senior management will continue to treat themselves well with great pay, but will make sure that the little guys and everyone else that made it possible to get where they are, stay well below them in responsibilities, compensation, and the friend circle. Also senior leadership is grossly overpaid. As I have developed friendships, people share what their compensation is (I personally know people in most of these roles, other roles the people I know have told me)

Manager $75- $90k
    Senior Manger $85-130k
    Director $120-$170k
    Senior Director $160-200k
    VP $180-$250k
    SVP $230-300k
    CO $300+k

Advice to Management

- Get on the same page as your peers
    - Keep actual good talent and don't push away your employees who actually bring value
    - When you say trim the fat, trim the fat of people who don't do anything and nevermind that they are buddies with certain people
    - Actually do what you say that you value the little people and encourage work life balance
    - Get better management

5. "Good but not the most stable"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Midvale, UT
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Midvale, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mostly enjoyed my day to day experience. Great building and location. Can have a good amount of flexibility depending on what team you are on. Opportunity for growth if you mingle with the right people. Good deployment workflow for software developers.

Cons

Aside from always having to worry about profitability (which is the biggest con), there can be quite a bit of "bus throwing" amongst various teams and certain managers. There are dev teams that feel as if some work is beneath them so they try to pawn it off on other teams with laughable justification. Retail portion of the business was pretty neglected at the point I left.

Advice to Management

It's hard for me to say, the management will have changed by now...

"They regularly sack people as part of their financial planning. Come join the team if you want PTSD!"

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people you get to work with are amazing - until they get fired.

Cons

STOP THROWING THE BUILDING IN OUR FACES!

This place is a horrible combination of The Hunger Games and Survivor. Recently, another 100+ people were voted off the island. People that had been there 11, 15 and 16 years - so believe me when I say, loyalty means nothing. We were told it was happening this time instead of letting us figure it out as people around us disappeared (novel change) and we were told that, once again, it's to make finances meet. What they don't do, is fire the executives that make the poor financial choices, just those forced to execute them.

We were reminded, again, that a few years back, when we were asked to vote on this beautiful building and we all raised our hands in favor. Let me make one thing perfectly clear - when we all raised our hands, we were all under the impression we'd be in it TOGETHER for years to come. Those that were next to me that raised their hands ARE GONE and we are once again told "the building needs to mean something". Well it does, it means broken lives and people being interviewed for new positions at the same time that you were sacking 100+ people. You read that right.

Speaking of interviews. They will definitely woo you. Packages of swag, tours of the campus, free lunch, they really roll out the red carpet. Enjoy that day, because I promise that's the last time you'll feel that important. Anything after that day is "May the odds be ever in your favor"

Advice to Management

Does it really matter? All you want to do is sell retail off so you can focus on your new passion (T0). I'm hedging bets right now that once that happens and you can shed this part of the business like an old girlfriend, we'll all be ejected from the building "that matters" so the business that matters (T0) can reside and grow in it.

Overstock.com Response

Jan 21, 2019 – CEO

I would like to respond to several points this writer made.

a) We reviewed our strategy, selected and arranged our projects to support it, and backed into our workforce needs: as a result, we... More

"Once was a ok company"

I worked at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

Benefits(Day care, Jym, 401K, Building facilities), Work life Balance

Cons

They are in a mood to sell the company, so nobody cares about customer, long term vision, keeping the talent or making sane decisions. A good amount of the recent layoffs were all about favoritism and not about performance. There are so many non talented employees got to keep their job just because they were either not drawing higher salary or stayed under the radar. Good luck to whoever trying to buy this company.

Advice to Management

And yeah, good luck running t-zero with the infamous brothers who managed this company and employees so poorly. One day they are going to chase away the talent the same way they did here and run it to the ground. In contrast, I really want t-zero to succeed out of respect for Patrick and his vision.

"Ok place to work"

Current Employee - Front End Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Front End Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com (More than a year)

Pros

I love the people I work with. Theres a lot of mentoring, so you feel like you can grow.

Cons

Management is always changing. For me it has been every 4 months I get a new PM. It is hard to see a pathway of where you want to be.

9. "Unhappy Employee"

I worked at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

Overstock worked hard to take care of their employees with incentives and funny activities

Cons

Customers were aloud to be abusive on the phone and you just had to deal with it.

"Customer service sucks"

Pros

It was hard pressed to find a reason to stay.

Cons

The customer service department in treated horribly. Customers are the reason there’s a business and it the customer service department that has to deal with all the crap yet the employees in that department are treated the worst. There are no added benefits for cs, no greenhouse, no onsite gym or day care. Other departments look down in cs and even go as far to say that cs has benefits above their pay grade. The managers are horrible, also pushing for the sups to be positive and build rapport with the cs rep but they never practice what the preach all screaming about the wrong doings never praising the positive. The right hand never knows what the left hand is doing. One manager tells you one thing and then you get in trouble for not doing the other way. I was even told I would get fired for helping a customer because I wasn’t on that team that does that specific job. The building is in a warehouse in an industrial with no natural light and unless you are a smoker there is nothing to do on your breaks. The smoking area is a cesspool for gossip and can be very detrimental.

Advice to Management

Start treating cs better and get a solid plan that everyone can follow. Find a decent building and fire all the managers.