Overstock.com Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Overstock.com CEO Patrick M. Byrne
Patrick M. Byrne

Pros
  • There are some reviews here that claim work/life balance is poor (in 63 reviews)

• It's a really fun job and you work with really great people (in 37 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place To Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment, the people are great. New Management and the new executive team is the best is has been.

Cons

Benefits /Pay could be more competitive

Advice to Management

Keep going on the right direction.

2. "Financial Manager"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The new facility is terrific: onsite day care, fitness center, physician, and cafeteria. Additionally, there are a lot of opportunities for upward and sideward mobility. If you get in, but it's not a good fit, there's a good chance you can change positions without changing companies. Another perk is a CEO who listens to and responds to employees. We get to vote on what benefits we want to receive and make anonymous suggestions that are actually heard and acted on.

Cons

It's a big company so there are a lot of inefficiencies that can make work more difficult. Workstations are small and lack privacy. The parking lot is a half mile from the front door.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employee voices and empower the people on the front line. The building Nucleus needs to be improved: it's difficult to access and honestly not a great destination.

"Resurgence of talent is a huge win!"

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Analytics, structure and organization is making a comeback and it's been a great thing to be a part of. The new campus is fantastic, but even more important is the leadership is actually seeing things in a much more strategic fashion.

Cons

While it's hard to see good co-workers leave from time to time, those decisions are really for the best for Overstock and for those people. The leadership has to make tough decisions from time to time and it's not easy, but it's hard to debate too many of them once you peel back all the layers.

Advice to Management

Continue to look at the critical comments here as well as internally and find ways to improve on those areas of realistic concern.

5. "Overstock Saved my Life"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Cheap cafeteria with great food, excellent benefits, on site daycare, flexible management and hours, some of the smartest people in eCommerce all under the same roof.

Overstock pays well relative to the industry. Overstock pays INCREDIBLY well relative to the rest of the Wasatch front. The CEO, President, SVPs have all been at Overstock (with few exceptions) 5+ years. The people who built the business are running it.

Cons

There are people with bad attitudes who think the CEO is poor at his job. Mind you he's been CEO 15+ years and has, I'm sure, done a lot of smart tap dancing to keep that job.

There are layoffs but only for poor performers who have been warned multiple times.

Don't get caught up with the negative people crowd, they will drag you down. They hated the last president, she's gone, now they're nit picking new leadership.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been with Overstock for 5 years. I have to say that we do change often and this can be hard to accept at times for people. I know that we have heard a lot about the recent changes. I have been reading the reviews and feel that this is from people who did not want to be accountable for their own actions and have attacked the ones who hold them responsible.
    Watching how Customer Service has changed over the last year for Overstock has been exciting and a new adventure. Linda came in and has stopped the “favoritism”. What is fair for one is fair for all. Linda cares about every employee on the floor. She will make time to speak with anyone who requests. She watches to see who cares and who has the potential to move up and will assist everyone in meeting the goals for their dream position.
    Having a VP who takes the time to know each person on the call floor is a breath of fresh air. She makes decisions on what is fair and consistent for everyone and takes the time for brown bag sessions and round tables to explain the decisions that are made and why. Linda takes the time to listen to complaints and concerns from everyone before moving forward. I do not know anywhere else that has a VP like Linda who takes concerns and complaints into the decision. Linda will push people for growth and knows the steps that need to be taken to ensure this happens. I could not imagine Overstock without her! She has made Customer Service better in every way.
    We have moved forward with a new Management Team who has the experience and the training to assist us with our goals. This does not mean that they are friends and that is why they are here. They have all worked for Customer Service and Call Centers and earned their position. How can judgement be made without the facts?
    We are lucky to have the opportunity to work with our management team! This team is dedicated to our success and not failure.
    Thank you Linda, Michelle, and Management for the new path and the tools to succeed!

Cons

I do not have any

Overstock.com Response

Feb 17, 2017 – CEO

You are welcome. And thank you.

"Good and bad - but mostly good"

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you get one of the good managers, there is no better place to work. It is exciting and cutting edge, you have great, talented colleagues, and you are encouraged to learn, experiment, and try new things.

Cons

If you get one of the bad managers, you are watched like a hawk, told what to do, and given no freedom to experience the good things about the company.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees, they are better than you think.

8. "Customer Care"

Pros

Amazing benefits
    Family culture
    Great technology
    Abundance of opportunity for advancement

I've worked in a lot of call centers and none have gone so above and beyond to make their employees happy

Cons

Attitude from people who can't get on board with the direction the company is moving. I understand the company is going through a lot of change and change unsettles people (and is sometimes hard to keep up with), but too much energy is put forth to appease the people who don't want to help take the company to the next level. People need to start listening to the messages being communicated instead of the lies and rumors started by people who don't want to do the job they were hired to do

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward to make Overstock the best it can be for the customers and employees. Don't cater to the "participation trophy" groups who want to just keep shirking their responsibilities and riding the coat tails of others who bust their tails. We're headed in the right direction and we need to keep going that way

"Work that is rewarding with opportunities"

Current Employee - Merchandising Manager
    Current Employee - Merchandising Manager

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Richest benefit program I have ever been a part of
    A company that takes actions when needed
    Analytics drive decisions
    Employees have a voice (should they chose to use it wisely)
    The people make the difference!
    Great work life balance with onsite amenities that improve the work environment and quality of life.

Cons

Change of directions with recent change to management can be hard to follow and know your direction.
    The other reviews that people get let go is not inaccurate, though from my view and observation is that these people were on their way out anyways with their work ethic and attitude..Just because we have ping pong tables doesn't mean you should spend 25% of your PAID time there. I am glad to see the company action these behaviors appropriately. Though, as a side effect some people do fear for their job. (Answer is to just do yours and don't worry about others)

Advice to Management

Dig a little more into the details to expose opportunities for growth at all levels. As opposed to just doing something because it goes with the standard or seems to be sensible

"Management is questionable"

Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance. If you are on a good team it is a great place.

Cons

Too much nepotism.If you re related to someone in management you will have a great job waiting for you. Good people will be fired to make room for you. If you are a woman or white, forget it.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to employees. There will be no bonuses. You know it. Every year you come up with some new bonus structure to get employees to think they have a chance at a bonus. It never happens.
    DO NOT have relatives working together as you do. If a person in top management has a relative working at the same company its wrong. just wrong.
    Stop the layoffs disguised as firings. when they get severance it is a layoff and the employees are not fooled.
    Hire the right people in the first place.
    Oh, and get rid of the employees that do nothing. it is discouraging when you see people who work get let go and others that have no clue about anything kept and even praised.

"Company with no head"

I worked at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

Hey I at least have a job....

Cons

Not a good place to make a career. Stay long enough and you'll be cut like the rest of us. Leave before this happens to you!

Advice to Management

Is this company going to be around in 5 years? How is are market presence trend? Are we growing as fast as the market is,or falling behind? Do we need to innovate our brand and change to adapt to the market. How long can you ride the furniture sales train? Why do we only sell to middle aged house wives? How do we get more customers? Just a few key identity questions that need to be asked at the highest levels.