Overstock.com Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Overstock.com CEO Patrick M. Byrne
Patrick M. Byrne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • In my department I have excellent work/life balance (in 68 reviews)

• Great environment with great people (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management all has different ideas of what they want (in 62 reviews)

• Institute a better work life balance policy (in 17 reviews)

"Toxic Environment"

I worked at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

Decent new building to work in?

Cons

Toxic Environment, fear, stress, political mess

Advice to Management

People who feel appreciated and valued put more into their work than people who are constantly living in fear. The happiness of your employees should be a priority - it is not.

"Customer care has just become a revolving door"

I worked at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

If you are not in customer care I am sure there are many pro's to this company (I mean look at all the positive reviews)

Cons

You are set up to fail especially if you are a supervisor. They want to act like they hold agents accountable for certain stats however upper management never lets you know what those stats are or give them to you so you can let the specialists know. Case in point they just went through a shift bid and nobody was ever told what stats the specialist were held accountable to until after they had ranked the specialists. Every supervisor was ranked on how their team performed which would be okay if the supervisor was make privy to that information prior so that they could develop their team to be successful. Speaking of the shift bid this is going to be an every 6 months process so no more being able to plan out things like going to school because you just might end up with a shift not compatible with your school schedule so then you are forced to either quit the job or quit school. They claim they hire from with in, and customer care is the place to start, which isn't true because every week about they have new hire training class that is fresh off the street and new faces show up all the time while the specialist in customer care are left to rot. This job is also about who you know, or who you do not what you know and what you do because if you don't have the 1st two in your pocket you are not going anywhere. There is no communication either with the supervisors. Recently a group just leveled up and no one knows why nor do they know why the ones who didn't didn't, Nobody is talking as now they can't give stats cause they are not right but they were right when they leveled people up? NO that probably favoritism as well

Advice to Management

Get rid of the director he is worthless and never around. He also likes to badger people about going to school and by telling them they are just going to fail if the don't. Stop listing to the management and talk to the people who really do the work

"Lots of promises - little delivered"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

401k with 6% match, vesting from day one
    Nice campus with gym, medical clinic, coffee bar
    Benefits are OK
    Work/Life balance can be good depending on what group you work for

Cons

Where to begin. There are lots of great people and talent but senior leadership is not where you'd find it. There are some great directors and some vice presidents, but most senior leadership are best friends of the president and CEO. Some have no functional or operational experience in the areas they're over. Lately they have been hiring people just because they have a certain .com on their resume but again no experience whatsoever in the areas they will be over. Leadership changes directions and whims as fast as people change underwear. We bandaid fix things instead of proper upgrades, enhancements, or plain common sense when doing deployments and rollouts. We're told to rush out projects before they are done, just to get something out. Tripping over dollars to pick up dimes is a common theme.

The culture is so toxic and getting worse. Many of the people that are causes for this toxic culture seem to get promoted while those who work hard, produce results (backed up by numbers and stats), and add to the bottom line of the company are passed up because they aren't drinking buddies or related to someone in senior management.

If Obi-Wan kenobi were asked about working here he'd say, "Move along. This isn't the company you're looking for."

Advice to Management

No one is listening so why bother.

"It started out great. But things have changed, and not in a good way"

Current Employee - Customer Care
    Current Employee - Customer Care

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good, loyal people work here and everyone is generally laid back and gets along.

Cons

Customer service management cannot get their acts together or deliver on promises. WE are not getting promotions as frequently as promised when hired, or even when the system changes. People are promised raises that they never get. Customer service is promised rewards they never get. Supervisors are not trained well, and are promoted without receiving help or direction. Any direction that is given changes literally the NEXT DAY. Deadlines always fall through, and management doesn't listen even though they wear silly t-shirts that promote how well they do listen.

Lack of accountability from upper management is driving away talent.

Advice to Management

Follow. Through. If you expect us to meet deadlines, and specific KPI's, you could at least give us promotions on time, or training (still no tier 2 training from MARCH), or shift bids, OR RAISES THAT WERE PROMISED BUT NEVER DELIVERED.

Jul 29, 2017 – CEO

I apologize for what sounds like a slipshod experience. A new VP of Customer Care has been selected. If you have not heard yet, you will Monday. I think you are going to be quite happy with the... More

"OMGWTF is this place for real?"

I have been working at Overstock.com (More than a year)

Pros

I had a great boss for a while until he was one of the many that has been let go for dumb reasons.

Cons

Mr Byrne is trolling us. There is no way a real CEO would put the president's posse in charge unless he wanted to watch his company burn from the inside.

Advice to Management

Remember that episode of Seinfeld where George does the opposite of his instincts? That probably applies to you.

"Carter"

Pros

If you work in HR you apparently love it! IT used to be an awesome place when he was in charge too.

Cons

Its all a crap show. They can't really think this is a business model that will work, do they? I mean, come on.

Advice to Management

Someone said it earlier, Carter and (I guess Popelka) are the only ones worth keeping. Never worked for the latter so I can't say, but I can say Carter is the best. More leaders like him might get you somewhere. If you really look at the good ratings, you can see they come from the people care....aka Carter's team. They're the only reason you almost have a 3 star.

"This is a place that mongers fear"

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can't really think of any. Some of the people are super nice, knowledgeable and friendly - until they get laid off.

Cons

Management is utterly terrible. My supervisor in particular has a "my way or the highway" approach, and if you suggest different ways of doing things (or even tell her that you're confused!) she'll schedule a meeting with just you, and it feels like the only real purpose of these are to intimidate you and feel like you're about to be fired. Also, they fire people for no apparent reason - one lady I worked with was fired even though she was generating the highest viewing activity in merchandising. This workplace seems like it's trying to make people afraid.

Advice to Management

The CEO needs to learn that no one cares about his stupid card memory trick. Being a decent human is a little more important.

"Executive Trash"

Pros

The 10 minute walk from the parking structure to my desk allows me to enjoy the nice summer weather 4 times a day.

Cons

The executive that is supposed to be over software development (and his brother) have completely destroyed what once was a strong technology culture. Now it's all about them applying pressure through threats of being fired to deliver in unreasonable time frames, which of course leads to corners being cut and poor software quality. Leadership doesn't even realize that we have become 5 years behind the technology trends because they make no effort to be informed. Overstock's reputation is so bad in our area that we can't hire any local talent.

Advice to Management

Since you're so big on surveys, you should really take a survey on how the techies feel about that waste of an executive that is supposed to be responsible for software development.

Jul 11, 2017 – Vice President

We’re sorry to hear that your experience here is not more positive.

We hope you participated in the recent Leadership Feedback survey so that your leader has the opportunity to receive your... More

"Lack of communication - terrible, unorganized company"

Former Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in Midvale, UT
    Former Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in Midvale, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice building with a lot of great features.

Cons

Terrible communication. I was hired on and worked there for 6 DAYS when they randomly decided I was no longer a "good fit" because I didn't know an Excel formula (EVEN THOUGH I TOLD THEM I DIDN'T KNOW ANY EXCEL FORMULAS IN MY INTERVIEW) - told them I was a fast learner & very tech savvy and would have no issues picking up on it. I learned the formula in just a few days. I was the one that took the initiative to receive feedback and was reassured that I was doing great. I had every reason to believe everything was going well, when one day I was pulled into an office by the manager and let go because I wasn't "doing well enough." After being let go, I found out that they hired someone for that position internally. I wish if I wasn't doing well enough they would have reached out to me and set a goal or at least make me aware that there was something I needed to improve on. It makes no sense that I was let go without any communication. I guess Overstock is notorious for being very disorganization, making random layoffs (just read some of the other reviews) and lacking in communication, so be cautious.

Advice to Management

LEARN TO COMMUNICATE! If I would have known that I needed to work on something, I would have done everything in my power to make sure I met that goal and prove myself. I was never given the opportunity to succeed. Maybe try taking an education course and learn proper management techniques.

Jul 11, 2017 – Vice President

Thank you for your review. We were able to investigate this incident and it appears that some basic skills required for the job were either misrepresented or misunderstood during the interview... More

"What's up with removing reviews?"

Pros

If you are in the Boys Club, it's a great place to be. If you are a female, just act like your in the Boys Club and keep your mouth shut.

Cons

For some reason, reviews get removed from and If you say something negative ..it seems to get removed. See how long this one stays here.

Advice to Management

You act as if the past leadership was so bad that you can now "fix" it. But the real cultural issue is the CEO. It doesn't matter who he appoints in executive positions, as long as he is ruling the roost..nothing will ever be his fault. He'll blame companies failures on everyone else, but act as it the successes are all him. The hardest day he ever worked in his life was while sitting on a beach with young women and calling in to yell about why sales aren't up. Yet he does nothing to strategically plan it. Let's give the "new" leadership another year. Pretty sure he's planning to fire a couple of those data and spock experts. Looks like some one will need to take the sword for not keeping up with the market. My advice is, if given the opportunity, join the President and his buddies to smoke weed in the Speakeasy or go have drinks at lunch, both you can do to stay in the Presidents good graces. Hot tub time with The CEO really paid off for the Pres, hot tub time with Pres may pay off for you!!