Overstock.com Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Overstock.com CEO Patrick M. Byrne
Patrick M. Byrne

Pros
  • There are some reviews here that claim work/life balance is poor (in 64 reviews)

• Great environment with great people (in 40 reviews)

"Real Talk"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Midvale, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Midvale, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They give a wide range of experience and autonomy as a product manager. I keep on coming back since I get to do everything! Executives much rather play chess than define strategy so both the strategy and execution falls to you.

Cons

Nepotism runs rampant. The best and pretty much only way to get promoted is to be related to or drinking buddies with the President. Not being in their inner circle, I fought for years to get promoted despite better numbers than others who were in the know. I can’t feel too bad though, there are only 2 females at or above the VP level anyway in a company of 1800. Not to mention they turned away top 10 MBA candidates for Product Manager roles stating they were under-qualified. At Amazon they would have been Senior Product Managers.

Advice to Management

Focus on millennials, there is no strategy to reach them.
    Focus on professional development. A flat org is good, until you only see your manager for a combined 30 minutes every quarter.
    Don't sell child care as a perk when it costs half of a PM salary to send your child there.
    And finally, don't tell certain employees to write reviews. Most of these "positive" reviews were prompted.

"Management is questionable"

Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance. If you are on a good team it is a great place.

Cons

Too much nepotism.If you re related to someone in management you will have a great job waiting for you. Good people will be fired to make room for you. If you are a woman or white, forget it.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to employees. There will be no bonuses. You know it. Every year you come up with some new bonus structure to get employees to think they have a chance at a bonus. It never happens.
    DO NOT have relatives working together as you do. If a person in top management has a relative working at the same company its wrong. just wrong.
    Stop the layoffs disguised as firings. when they get severance it is a layoff and the employees are not fooled.
    Hire the right people in the first place.
    Oh, and get rid of the employees that do nothing. it is discouraging when you see people who work get let go and others that have no clue about anything kept and even praised.

"Things I learnt at Overstock"

Current Employee - Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

I made some good friends here.

Good work life balance.

If you are in marketing, things change so quickly, that you may need to complete 1 in every 5 projects. The rest get scrapped.

As long as you are not ambitious, and do what you are told, you have great job security.

Reorg is the norm. If you have a bad project, don't worry, someone else will get it in a few months. Or you may change teams in a few months.

In case you want to get into Sr Management, but have zero experience and training in managing people, you have a chance to succeed at Overstock.

Cons

Nepotism.

People are set up to fail (mostly... not all the time).

Advice to Management

Please read some of the other bad reviews.

"Company with no head"

I worked at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

Hey I at least have a job....

Cons

Not a good place to make a career. Stay long enough and you'll be cut like the rest of us. Leave before this happens to you!

Advice to Management

Is this company going to be around in 5 years? How is are market presence trend? Are we growing as fast as the market is,or falling behind? Do we need to innovate our brand and change to adapt to the market. How long can you ride the furniture sales train? Why do we only sell to middle aged house wives? How do we get more customers? Just a few key identity questions that need to be asked at the highest levels.

"Overstock is an amazing place to me fantastic people!"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great. The opportunity to learn and move within the organization is great depending on your skill set.
    The new building is really fantastic (shine does kind of wear off after awhile).
    The CEO is brilliant, and is striving to make himself a better leader hiring people to help him achieve those goals.

Cons

There are few trustworthy people in the organization. A lot of people are encouraged to give ideas yet shot down and punished if they aren't what management wants.
    CEO has a posse he trusts and tends to hire and promote from within that tight knit group.
    What is supposed to be the most trustworthy department (HR) is in fact the least trustworthy. Anything you tell leadership (director, VP, SVP) will bite you in the butt. Conversations are not confidential and neither are exit interviews. The SVP doesn't know what's legal and what isn't. HR is not black and white, but very Grey. So as long as you put your head down and do what you're asked, you'll do great!

Advice to Management

Hire people that have the skill set needed to succeed and grow the departments! Putting someone who was in charge of TechOps and placing him in a role over Your HR doesn't make the most sense, considering he has no experience.
    Listen to your employees over everything else, after all they are the ones who keep the company growing.

And above everything else, remember, communication is key!

"Not what I was expecting"

Former Employee - Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome culture, great benefits. A very friendly atmosphere and a "family" type work environment.

Cons

Limited/no training, constant change of direction, unstable.

When key executives are walking away from this company, you have to wonder what sort of footing they are really on. Long term outlook seems leek, based on the fact that they don't really know where they fit on the online marketplace.

Advice to Management

I highly doubt anyone is listening, but the constant changes of direction will drive the company into the ground. You desperately need to focus on where the company is going on what they are trying to be.

"Work atmosphere is going downhill"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has built a new, iconic campus with nice amenities. The stated goal is to make Overstock a great place to work, and there are several in management who take that to heart and strive to do right by the employees. At one time this company was a great place.

Cons

While the departure of the former president held promise, the departure of the acting CEO was a huge loss. The new, top-level leadership of the company is in general unskilled for the task, but rather represents a cadre of weekend buddies. Their demonstrated contempt for the concept of servant leadership has quickly destroyed morale in many departments. Those underlings who take their cues from these leaders have learned to be self-serving and disrespectful to the employee base at large.

Advice to Management

Patrick, pick your leaders based on their competencies rather than their ability to demonstrate friendship to you. Many of the leaders in the company need to be replaced. They are a cancer to the future of the organization.

"Cleaning House"

Former Employee - Undisclosed in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Undisclosed in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary, 401K, and vacation plan
    Casual, family atmosphere
    Patrick Byrnes

Cons

Mid-managers need to lead their teams.
    Business teams should not dictate the technology behind the machine. As Patrick says, he hires smart, skilled people for a reason.
    Deciding to trash your CRM to build an in house solution before 4th quarter is a mistake that will cost Overstock loyal customers.

Advice to Management

Good to see that Patrick is back and 100%. He had to make some hard calls with his management team. Overstock still needs to take a look at the SOFS management team who, like Stormy, led by fear and intimidation for years. The irony is that the project was a huge failure, largely to the inept management team. From the VP nepotism and team trips abroad to micromanagement where team member’s documents were 'graded' to managers who show up when it suits them, leaving teams unable to move forward while they wait. It’s a good time to clean house.

"Coworkers are great but management is a problem"

I worked at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

Great coworkers and a lot of smart people to learn from.

Cons

During Q4 employees are treated like animals. Midnight and later days are normal. Upper management is incompetent.

Advice to Management

Hire more a more professional executive team and better managers.

"Use it as a stepping stone"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

401K, lagoon day, private concert every October, car pool incentive. My co workers in the call center were all really nice people and I am very glad I met them.

Cons

Mandatory Overtime!! It doesn't matter if you have a baby sitter issue or whatever they will let you know about an hour before your shift ends that you have to stay for a few hours and that if you don't you can look for a job elsewhere.
    Unless you are a relative of upper management you will not go anywhere with this company. It is a good stepping stone and you really just have to use it as such. Get in, get some experience and move on.

Advice to Management

Start treating the people on the phones like people and not just someone to answer the phone. We have families and feelings. When they tell us that there is a certain customer that we can not offer any more compensation too we have to sit and get yelled at and name called and just take it. But as soon as the customer asks to speak with a manager that manager that just told you not to give them anything else will now get whatever they wanted because the manager doesn't want to get treated the way that they just allowed their employee to be treated.