Overstock.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 7, 2017

Overstock.com CEO Patrick M. Byrne
Patrick M. Byrne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • In my department I have excellent work/life balance (in 68 reviews)

• Great environment with great people (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management all has different ideas of what they want (in 63 reviews)

• Institute a better work life balance policy (in 16 reviews)

"Fun, entrepreneurial company. Lacks clear strategy/direction"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midvale, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun & entrepreneurial company culture. Run more like a startup than a big corp. You have a lot of freedom in how you do your job and the ability to take on more responsibilities, if desired. Amazing work space at Peace Coliseum. Good 401K matching. Fun company-sponsored events.

Cons

There can be a lack of clear strategy/direction from leadership, and a lack of consistency across the different areas of the company. Lots of stress/pressure related to Q4 busy season. PTO is limited compared to many other tech companies.

Advice to Management

More (consistent) direction from leadership. More competitive amount of PTO.

"A little dull for technical folks"

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

I actually have been pleased with the salary, benefits, etc.. For those in SLC, the daycare is a pretty sweet deal if you have kids. 401k match at 6% is pretty rare to find. The people I have worked with have been great (although most of them were let go).

Cons

Are you tired of all the Web 2.0 technologies? Do you long for the days of JSP, XHTML, AJAX? Maybe some Adobe sprinkled in? You'll find plenty at Overstock so come on board! How about sequential cron jobs that process millions of records and complete in only 14 hours? There is a lot of junk written by offshore groups and the technical staff is not sufficient to rewrite in newer technologies so lots of great talent are leaving for more exciting roles.

Advice to Management

Amazon and Wayfair think like tech companies, not like retail companies. Be innovative and embrace new technology, even if costs money, and maybe you can retain strong technical talent.

"Okay"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, poor management and even worse floor supervisors. Would give 3 stars if it wasn't for immature atmosphere.

Cons

Actual job is okay, if People there don't like you they make it horrible for you to be there.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the immature floor supervisors and step up with hiring some good people worth their salt for those positions.

"Lost what used to set them apart"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midvale, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing people to work with, for the most part. I met some of my best friends here.

CEO does try to consider the best interests for his employees, even if it is misinterpreted.

Decent benefits.

Family mentality (in the beginning).

Cons

Family mentality was lost somewhere down the line. Employees (especially CS) became just a number. From my perspective, there was a very poor work/life balance ratio. CS employees are expected to work mandatory OT at a moments notice, sometimes 10-15 hours per week. And good luck trying to even use your earned PTO. Perks/events that used to keep CS agent morale somewhat level slowly dwindled down. For a lot of people, it went from "I love my job" to "Eh. Its just another call center."

Their "open door" policy to complaints is absolute BS. Yeah, you can voice a complaint, but don't expect anything to happen or change. At one point, I remember being told CS was warned to NOT voice any concerns- upper management was too busy to hear it. However, I did hear the person responsible for that "rule" was fired after I left, so it may be better.

More cliquey than High School. If you didn't fit in with the right group, you were overlooked. Plain and simple.

Pay wasn't that great or "competitive." I got an entry level CS job after I left making only 75 cents lower than my PROMOTED position at Overstock.

Advice to Management

Remember what used to make the company great. There used to be a standard of "happy employees make happy customers." We used to hold pride in our jobs. We loved going to work every day. You can move forward without removing all the things that made employee morale the highest of any call center. Overstock used to be unique. Now, they're no different than Discover or Teleperformance.

Overstock.com Response

Jul 29, 2017 – CEO

As I wrote above to another person in Customer Care: I apologize for what sounds like a slipshod experience. A new VP of Customer Care has been selected. If you have not heard yet, you will Monday. I... More

"Weird company"

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

Friendly employees but not always the brightest.

Cons

Management is all over the place.

"Intern"

Pros

The people were great! The amenities were nice! I was treated very fairly as an intern.

Cons

I felt like things were very unorganized! A go with the flow type attitude instead of having things structured.

"Getting Better"

I worked at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

Things semm to be getting better

Cons

Still needed in areas for improvement

Advice to Management

None

"Okay Company"

I worked at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

Management is not skilled and reward people based on like not skill or loyalty. No opportunity for advancement

Cons

Micro management, workload is excessive for number of agents.

Advice to Management

Train your people and give them the help they need/want. Stop playing favorites and take responsibility for your actions or lack of action.

"Great Opportunities and Exposure"

I worked at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

Working at Overstock.com was a great oppotunity to get hands on experience in the E-Commerce enviroment.

Cons

Company initiatives are always evolving rapidly and not staying on course long enough to evaluate.

Advice to Management

Stick to your main core competency.

"Changes"

Current Employee - Customer Care in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Care in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Right now I am hard pressed to find anything positive about working here. Where I once loved my job, it has now become the biggest chore and I am always heavy hearted and resentful when having to log in at work.

Cons

This has always been an incredible place to work until recently. There have been numerous changes in hours of operation, in processes, in policies and focus which have served to create a hostile work environment. Understanding that changes are necessary for growth, and appreciating the vision that is often touted, the changes have been constant, and not in line with the vision they express to have. People are now literally afraid for their jobs and these are the solid, dedicated ones. There was a time when you felt like your work mattered, that you were valued and that you were seen as an integral part of the whole. Now, you are less than a number, less than a statistic, you are only a body to respond to customers needs and your empowerment is gone.

Advice to Management

Recognize that your greatest assets are the employees. So many loyal, dedicated employees are leaving because they are literally being edged out, for example, your chat teams. Patrick, your employees need you to step in!