Overstock.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 25, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Overstock.com CEO Patrick M. Byrne
Patrick M. Byrne

Pros
  • There are some reviews here that claim work/life balance is poor (in 63 reviews)

• It's a really fun job and you work with really great people (in 37 reviews)

"Okay Company"

I worked at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

Management is not skilled and reward people based on like not skill or loyalty. No opportunity for advancement

Cons

Micro management, workload is excessive for number of agents.

Advice to Management

Train your people and give them the help they need/want. Stop playing favorites and take responsibility for your actions or lack of action.

"Great Opportunities and Exposure"

I worked at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

Working at Overstock.com was a great oppotunity to get hands on experience in the E-Commerce enviroment.

Cons

Company initiatives are always evolving rapidly and not staying on course long enough to evaluate.

Advice to Management

Stick to your main core competency.

"Changes"

Current Employee - Customer Care in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Care in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Right now I am hard pressed to find anything positive about working here. Where I once loved my job, it has now become the biggest chore and I am always heavy hearted and resentful when having to log in at work.

Cons

This has always been an incredible place to work until recently. There have been numerous changes in hours of operation, in processes, in policies and focus which have served to create a hostile work environment. Understanding that changes are necessary for growth, and appreciating the vision that is often touted, the changes have been constant, and not in line with the vision they express to have. People are now literally afraid for their jobs and these are the solid, dedicated ones. There was a time when you felt like your work mattered, that you were valued and that you were seen as an integral part of the whole. Now, you are less than a number, less than a statistic, you are only a body to respond to customers needs and your empowerment is gone.

Advice to Management

Recognize that your greatest assets are the employees. So many loyal, dedicated employees are leaving because they are literally being edged out, for example, your chat teams. Patrick, your employees need you to step in!

"Identity Crisis"

Pros

Decent to their people; high employee longevity; playful atmosphere in many departments; good work/life balance.

Cons

Upper management seems to have had trouble growing up from their carefree years as a plucky Internet startup when simply being a web retailer guaranteed success to the mature and disciplined retailer that they'll need to become to thrive in the new landscape. Middle management often moves by intuition rather than by strategic edict. Tough to recommend to a friend in its current situation.

Advice to Management

- Read "23 Immutable Laws of Marketing" and take the lesson - STOP BRAND EXTENDING the concept of "leftover stock" into brainspaces where it doesn't fit (ie, luxury, local, millennial, etc.). If you want to move into those spaces CREATE NEW BRANDS TO DO SO!

- Decide on a brand identity and be true to it. One brand cannot - SHOULD NOT - be all things to all people. Other than Amazon of course, but that fight is over.

- Stop changing corporate priorities every 2 quarters.

"Great company to learn new technologies"

Pros

I worked as a software developer for 4 years. Definitively this is a good place to learn new technologies and to improve the skills that developers need in our industry.

Cons

In some projects you feel an unhealthy pressure from management, and if the project is not doing good for any business reason, you can start feeling like you are not happy anymore.

Advice to Management

Employees need to feel like the company really cares about them.

"Things just got much better"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

Stormy Simon, the president of the company and probably at the root of most of the negative reviews on this site, just resigned. I cannot overstate what good news this is for the organization. Huge. Like an enormous black cloud lifting. Now we can get back to business in earnest.

Cons

Unfortunately, many of the truly outstanding people she ran off or fired will never return. This is a true tragedy.

Advice to Management

Learn from Stormy's reign of fear. Never give a single executive so much unchecked power again. And Patrick, please always be open to the possibility that you're being massively hoodwinked, as you were for about five years.

"Stormy Simon Reign of terror is Over."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

I was weeks away from quitting and then finally Stormy Simon the president left the company. Right off the bat things are getting better, I see morale going up and people starting to smile again.
    Sad about all the great people that left because of her, but happy for new people coming in because they will experience a whole new company.

Cons

As I said thing are and will get better and so happy I stood my ground and didn't let Stormy run me off. Looking forward to next year and being in our new building.

Advice to Management

Be in touch with your people and keep your leaders in check so this type of dictatorship management does not happen again. This one person has set the company back years, now lets get started on a new future.

"Getting better"

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance, great benefits, good people to work with, new building to work in

Cons

Can't make a decision, always keep changing leadership

"Very volatile company"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Overstock.com as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Unhealthy turnover rate of people.

11. "review"

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

being able to help our customer

Cons

management understanding of how things really work in the call center with customer

Advice to Management

at .east match the rates shown