Overstock.com Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Overstock.com CEO Patrick M. Byrne
Patrick M. Byrne

Pros
  • In my department I have excellent work/life balance (in 67 reviews)

• Great environment with great people (in 40 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place To Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment, the people are great. New Management and the new executive team is the best is has been.

Cons

Benefits /Pay could be more competitive

Advice to Management

Keep going on the right direction.

"Hard Work Gets Rewarded"

Current Employee - People Care Organization in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - People Care Organization in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- In my department if you work hard you are acknowledged, rewarded, and feel valued
    - Amazing building with great amenities
    - Onsite Daycare (its great that your kids are so close and they have apps for you to keep tabs on your kids while you work)
    - Onsite Health Care, with a fantastic doctor and support staff
    - In my department I have excellent work/life balance
    - Great interactions with executives, they'll talk with you, shoot the breeze with you, and help facilitate and implement your ideas
    - Love the convenience of having a cafe onsite with plenty of options
    - You get to work with awesome people. Diversity is welcome and appreciated.
    - The president of the company has taken time to have a conversation with me - non business related
    - Our leaders in our department genuinely care and go out of their way to make things better
    - With the exception of the first two years that I have worked here I have received pay increases directly tied to my work and merits, even though we have strayed from a formal annual review process
    - Our department takes care of the employees in the department sometimes making herculean efforts to do so
    - We have so many "boomerangs" which tells me the grass isn't greener someplace else. People always come back.
    - My department has a great Director, VP, and SVP
    - Whenever I need a change in my job, my boss does his very best to find things to keep me engaged, growing, and progressing
    - I am given challenging tasks that have great rewards
    - There are opportunities for formal and informal mentoring

Cons

- It took way too long to get rid of people who were not the right fit
    - You kept a VP (too long) who was hell bent on changing the Overstock culture, stopped measuring key performance indicators, and minimized the value of our CEO and Founder
    - Because of this you lost a lot of trust in the Customer Care Organization
    - You scaled back in the executive management team yet you are currently overstaffed in Customer Care management
    - You've lost the wonderful culture that used to exist in Customer Care
    - The same VP you left in her position to long, pushed great tenured management into superfluous positions that doesn't add value to the company so she could move in her people. And because they were worried about losing their job some of them managed to alienate people who were only trying to help them out
    - Some senior management is afraid to call any shots because they don't want to be held accountable for the outcome or fired
    - This is uber petty - but I really hate the walk from the parking structure into the building.
    - This is also uber petty - I wish there was fruit punch in the fountain drinks and not the gaterade fruit punch, but like real HI-C Fruitpunch

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward... In the last 5 years I have seen so many great changes and promises fulfilled like building the new building, and bringing compensation above market (I feel like I am finally getting paid at the low end or my range)

Add fruit punch to the soda machine :)

Make decisions and do not be afraid of the outcome

Its great that we crowd source, but sometimes you need to make decisions with out involving everyone... It becomes too tedious and progress stops because you are waiting for a consensus.

Oh and it would be great to have the CEO respond to this post.

"Email Marketing Specialist"

Former Employee - Email Marketing Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Email Marketing Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people! You will learn so much here. Plenty of room for growth, and you can move amongst different departments to learn all aspects of marketing.

Cons

Upper management all has different ideas of what they want. Constant changes. Long hours during the holidays.

Advice to Management

Communicate with each other more. Decide what 'success' for the company means before each person relaying a different message to employees.

4. "Customer Care Specialist"

Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Elma, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Elma, WA

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Full Benefits, 401k Match, up beat, fast paced, room for advancement, great training

Cons

The Headquarters is in Utah

"PeopleCare Group"

Current Employee - Anyonymous in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anyonymous in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture is very chill * Extreme Fitness Culture * Very Cool Work Environment * Massage Therapist onsite - Medical Center onsite - Fresh Food Restaurant onsite - Flex Work Enviro- Great Benefits (401K 6% match - no vest) Crowd Sourcing is one way Leadership encourages voices to be heard and ideas implemented * Keeps it Real *

Cons

Extremely fast paced (not necessarily a con) but if you aren't nimble or used to the environment, you can be left behind quickly. Managers are home grown and need to be given proper people manager training (they are rolling a program out in 2017).

Advice to Management

Thank you for giving your workforce a voice to be heard. Please acknowledge the middle tier of the workforce - they are truly the employees who deserve recognition and kudos.

6. "Proper Work Life Balance"

Current Employee - Director in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Director in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

Overstock has a data driven Leadership team, a change from the past that was more trial and error based on a gut feeling. I like that fact we are encouraged to take calculated risks and that we run our own teams within the business. G&A is a guideline, and if you need more to deliver more, that is your decision to make. There is inherent risk / reward with the philosophy, but it makes the work place exciting.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like we are a mile wide and an inch deep. We are e-tailer; and the money and focus should follow accordingly.

Advice to Management

Fewer, Bigger, Better when focusing on opportunities for growth.

"Fast-paced atmosphere with amazing growth opportunities"

Current Employee - Senior Operations Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Operations Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love the new president. He's making great changes that are focusing the company and creating ROI. New campus is awesome and really increased morale.

Cons

Work and pressure are imbalanced between departments. Some teams work 65+ weeks while others work 35. Minds change quickly when performance is weak, while making long-term strategies harder to implement

Advice to Management

Good changes, just need a great long-term strategy.

"Nice Company to work for"

Current Employee - Software Developer-1 in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Software Developer-1 in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learning experience.
    401K plan.
    Work life balance

Cons

Frequently firing employees because of this many employees are leaving company.

Advice to Management

Senior management not handling situation effectively else would not have lost valuable employees.

"Customer Service, Chat"

Former Employee - Customer Service Chat Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Chat Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

I loved having the power to make decisions for my customers. There were guidelines, but not many hard and fast rules. Annual company picnic was great fun. Working from home was amazing.

Cons

I didn't make enough to be able to afford to live as a single parent. Better and more flexibility would have been nice. Changing a schedule was like moving a mountain. Stress, Stress, Stress.

Advice to Management

Don't just say that you love your employees, actually do it. There was more talking about how great you treat your employees than there was action. Walk the Walk.

"I have a lot of fun here!"

Current Employee - Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

I'm a developer. I've worked for 3 companies in the past 3 years. Overstock is most certainly my favorite place so far. It's a fast paced environment with a lot of energy. I feel like the owner really does care about us as individuals. As a developer, there's ALWAYS something to do. There's always a project going on, and that's what interests me. The culture is a "laid back get your work done" culture. At least for my team anyway. That leads me to my next point. Your team is what determines your happiness here. That being said, my advice to those that read this would be: If you don't like your situation. Speak up. A little communication can go a long way.
    Benefits! Benefits are GREAT! I can't believe the people complaining about our benefits. If you don't think these are great, go take a look at a few other companies out there. You really don't know how good you have it here until you go somewhere else. Believe me, I've been with 3 different companies and these are the best. Could they be better? Of course. But they could definitely be worse. A lot worse. 6% 401k matching is unheard of. Thank you for the generous benefits even though people are still complaining about them.

Cons

Sometimes too fast paced. People will drop hits that "We're losing a bunch of money every day we don't have this feature." and that can put a lo of pressure on you as a developer. If you give a completion date, you'd better have that completed! So just be careful to pad plenty of time for your projects. Being a retail site... Overstock isn't a tech company. So using the latest and greatest is not going to be an option in a lot of cases.

Advice to Management

Build something new. Become a tech company and not JUST a retail company that follows the "trend". Stop asking "Well what does [insert online competitor here] do?" and start saying, "Okay you have 2 hours a day to make this better, or solve this problem, go!"
    Shake up the industry with some new ideas. Don't throw a hackathon that forces people to suppress their good ideas until they have a chance at winning some money. Do what a lot of the big tech companies do and allow time for innovation. Ford Engineers build concept cars as a way to test new theories and ideas. Some of those ideas are laughable, but some are game changers. The developers at Overstock need to have a playground to innovate, and build these "Concept Cars" so to speak. Then we need to show them off and turn some heads.