Overstock.com Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Overstock.com CEO Patrick M. Byrne
Patrick M. Byrne

Pros
  • There are some reviews here that claim work/life balance is poor (in 63 reviews)

• It's a really fun job and you work with really great people (in 37 reviews)

1. "Financial Manager"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The new facility is terrific: onsite day care, fitness center, physician, and cafeteria. Additionally, there are a lot of opportunities for upward and sideward mobility. If you get in, but it's not a good fit, there's a good chance you can change positions without changing companies. Another perk is a CEO who listens to and responds to employees. We get to vote on what benefits we want to receive and make anonymous suggestions that are actually heard and acted on.

Cons

It's a big company so there are a lot of inefficiencies that can make work more difficult. Workstations are small and lack privacy. The parking lot is a half mile from the front door.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employee voices and empower the people on the front line. The building Nucleus needs to be improved: it's difficult to access and honestly not a great destination.

"Resurgence of talent is a huge win!"

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Analytics, structure and organization is making a comeback and it's been a great thing to be a part of. The new campus is fantastic, but even more important is the leadership is actually seeing things in a much more strategic fashion.

Cons

While it's hard to see good co-workers leave from time to time, those decisions are really for the best for Overstock and for those people. The leadership has to make tough decisions from time to time and it's not easy, but it's hard to debate too many of them once you peel back all the layers.

Advice to Management

Continue to look at the critical comments here as well as internally and find ways to improve on those areas of realistic concern.

3. "Overstock Saved my Life"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Cheap cafeteria with great food, excellent benefits, on site daycare, flexible management and hours, some of the smartest people in eCommerce all under the same roof.

Overstock pays well relative to the industry. Overstock pays INCREDIBLY well relative to the rest of the Wasatch front. The CEO, President, SVPs have all been at Overstock (with few exceptions) 5+ years. The people who built the business are running it.

Cons

There are people with bad attitudes who think the CEO is poor at his job. Mind you he's been CEO 15+ years and has, I'm sure, done a lot of smart tap dancing to keep that job.

There are layoffs but only for poor performers who have been warned multiple times.

Don't get caught up with the negative people crowd, they will drag you down. They hated the last president, she's gone, now they're nit picking new leadership.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been with Overstock for 5 years. I have to say that we do change often and this can be hard to accept at times for people. I know that we have heard a lot about the recent changes. I have been reading the reviews and feel that this is from people who did not want to be accountable for their own actions and have attacked the ones who hold them responsible.
    Watching how Customer Service has changed over the last year for Overstock has been exciting and a new adventure. Linda came in and has stopped the “favoritism”. What is fair for one is fair for all. Linda cares about every employee on the floor. She will make time to speak with anyone who requests. She watches to see who cares and who has the potential to move up and will assist everyone in meeting the goals for their dream position.
    Having a VP who takes the time to know each person on the call floor is a breath of fresh air. She makes decisions on what is fair and consistent for everyone and takes the time for brown bag sessions and round tables to explain the decisions that are made and why. Linda takes the time to listen to complaints and concerns from everyone before moving forward. I do not know anywhere else that has a VP like Linda who takes concerns and complaints into the decision. Linda will push people for growth and knows the steps that need to be taken to ensure this happens. I could not imagine Overstock without her! She has made Customer Service better in every way.
    We have moved forward with a new Management Team who has the experience and the training to assist us with our goals. This does not mean that they are friends and that is why they are here. They have all worked for Customer Service and Call Centers and earned their position. How can judgement be made without the facts?
    We are lucky to have the opportunity to work with our management team! This team is dedicated to our success and not failure.
    Thank you Linda, Michelle, and Management for the new path and the tools to succeed!

Cons

I do not have any

Overstock.com Response

Feb 17, 2017 – CEO

You are welcome. And thank you.

6. "Looks and Feels like a High Tech E-Commerce Company"

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

The facility is beautiful. Glass windows all over, brand new building, full cafeteria, the latest conference room technologies, on site health clinic, on site day care, and on site gym. Having these amenities, and others I didn't mention, helps make you feel like a valued member of the company, as they at least seem to be trying to make you feel appreciated. It's not all about how much you make in a job (a lot of it is), but it's also is about not hating the job and company you have every day you go in.

Cons

This might be due to being an online retailer, but things move fast. The projects and tasks occasionally shift focus and direction while being completed due to priorities which can happen over night. There are many teams each controlling a different parts of the website, and very often if becomes hard to not step on each other toes when working on a project.

Advice to Management

Keep treating employees well and making them feel valued. This way, if there is ever an off day or hard week, they won't go looking around at other companies because they will remember that Overstock.com will treat them better than most other places around.

7. "Great culture"

Current Employee - Current Employee in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Midvale, UT

Pros

Great work environment, wonderful place to work for self-starters who enjoy working on cross functional teams.

Cons

Institute a better work life balance policy.

Advice to Management

Keep growing the company and treating people fairly.

8. "My dream job"

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

Opportunities for advancement and career growth, open door policy, access to leaders, fast pace exciting environment, work environment, events, amenities, benefits, great people to work with and for.

Cons

Turnover, some politics, sometimes not all the right people get credit for the work

Advice to Management

Overstock is a special place to work, please help preserve what makes this place great.

"Best Place to work in SLC"

Current Employee - Senior Supply Chain Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Supply Chain Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance. 401K, Subsidized cafeteria food. Modern open work-space. Competent people. Culture. Trust. Value.

Cons

Almost no bonus structure.

"Awsome place to work"

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

The team is fantastic. Very positive attitude towards work and no politics. Your growth is cheered and appreciated. You get paid well and the new building we work in, perks, benefits we are getting now is very impressive.

Cons

Nothing much on the negative side of the company for now.

"Much improved"

Pros

I have worked at overstock for years and love the company. The new leadership team is data driven and tech centric. All the good employees we lost in the last two years are coming back because it is doing so well.

Cons

It's big black eye was our former President. A lot of the criticism here was legit and the company lost some great employees because of it.
    The new management team is very data driven. If you don't like having a number that says how well you do your job it will be hard on you.

Advice to Management

Don't let another leader choke off the flow of information to the top.