Overstock.com Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Overstock.com CEO Patrick M. Byrne
Patrick M. Byrne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • In my department I have excellent work/life balance (in 68 reviews)

• Great environment with great people (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management all has different ideas of what they want (in 62 reviews)

• Institute a better work life balance policy (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Caring, Passionate, Exciting place to work!"

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Coworkers and management are very personable, and easy to get ahold of. They are eager to answer questions and to collaborate with you
    - Competitive pay with great growth opportunities
    - People are everything with this company, whether they are customers or internal. Everyone here ultimately helps the customer, so there is no job considered job
    - Work/life balance
    - Amazing perks! Fitness center, great cafe, greenhouse, and so many great classes that you are encouraged to take for free
    - You create your own experience - the company has a lot to offer, but you have to participate, collaborate, and help make the changes that you want to see

Cons

Nothing so far, but if you are not comfortable seeking out the things you want to learn or who you want to learn from then it could be a problem

Jul 11, 2017 – Vice President

Thank you for this feedback. We like seeing 5-star reviews. We’re so happy to see that you’re enjoying your work at Overstock.

"Passionate, Driven, and Challenging Company !"

Current Employee - Current Employee in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overstock is a great company. Many would say it's the culture and passion of the employees. They offer a challenging work environment, fabulous tuition reimbursement (our CEO really values education... so if you do too, you are in the right company), and flexible work space environment.

Have you seen the building? It is amazing. Sometimes I want to work overtime just to stay and hangout in the building! The company is very passionate, driven, and caring.

They seek great talent and they offer competitive benefits packages. By joining Overstock you will meet some amazing people who are very intelligent.

Overall, Overstock is an AWESOME company and I hope you get the chance to experience it.

Cons

I always like to make sure I have a few cons because no company or person is perfect. Some leadership could use more training in the following areas: professionalism and tactfulness.

There is a lot of changes in different departments, but this is ongoing with any company that is trying to grow. It is not necessarily a con, you just have to be able to handle change and do it with a positive attitude. With that being said... there is a lot of opportunities to rock it in your current role. When you do a good job.... Overstock will recognize it.

Advice to Management

Focus on developing strong leaders and try to minimize nepotism.

On a positive note, keep up the awesome work. Overstock is going places.

"Love it"

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get recognized if you do well. Good compensation and benefits package.

Cons

Management gets excited about new projects and they throw millions at it only to find out later that it wasn't a great idea. This happens way to frequently.

"Overstock Life"

Current Employee - Senior Talent Acquisition Partner in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Talent Acquisition Partner in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing Culture Onsite Gym, Onsite Daycare. Overstock has such a strong team culture, Overstock involves everyone! We have Internal growth and strong Entrepreneur leadership.

Cons

Never had a company before where I don't have any cons!

"Work Environment"

Current Employee - Email Marketing Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Email Marketing Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, and a really cool building. There are benefits to working here.

Cons

Expectations to know how to do your job are high. Training could use some work here.

"Not for the weak minded..."

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's called 'work' for a reason... I'm tired of all the whiners, bellyachers, fusspots, gripers, snivelers, cryers and whiners on here waiting for the CEO, the President, the executive team and all of leadership to pat our heads and tell us how great we all are. At some point, we're all grown-ups and life isn't about getting a gold star. We get paid to do our jobs, period. Our job is not to worry if EVERYONE likes us or if the CEO knows everyone's name, or if the President says hi in the hallway... at some point, it's our responsibility to do our job. If we all complained a little less, we would be a much stronger company.

Cons

Of course there are cons, just like anywhere, some days are better than others, but at the end of the day, we are in control of our own destiny. To all of you who feel that complaining is going to make you feel better, do your job or leave. We have a strong business and strong leaders and great employees. There are a lot of good things happening.

Advice to Management

Use your common sense and listen to the meaningful criticism but ignore the 'soft' squakling weaklings. Don't let the whiners get you down.

Jul 25, 2017 – CEO

I hear you, and thanks for the kind words, "Not-for-Weak-minded".

I do sometimes come and read comments hoping to find something useful. When I find certain things buried in a review that I know... More

"AMAZING Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely forward-thinking
    Great work-life balanced
    Poised to grow even more
    Great onsite amenities:
    - Onsite Massages
    - Gym
    - Great cafeteria
    - Healthcare center
    - Greenhouse

Overstock is one of the few companies in the world that empower their employees to make mistakes for the sake of learning, growing and innovating.

The current (and new) leadership team understands that their reputation hasn't historically been the best, and they care deeply about this. They are doing everything in their power to turn this company around and it shows.

Cons

I can't think of many. I was sad to leave, but it was due to a personal reason.

Advice to Management

Please continue to keep doing what you're doing.

Jul 11, 2017 – Vice President

Thank you for taking the time to submit this thoughtful review. We’re sad that you had to leave too, and hope you’re doing well wherever you’ve landed.

"Ignore bad reviews, this place rocks!"

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

Where to start. The new building we are in is pretty outstanding. It requires people to walk and get exercise. None of which is a bad thing. There are a multitude of healthy choices food wise in the cafe. There is a doctors office onsite, a day care, a gym, and a greenhouse. Classes are offered to teach employees how to do new hinge, to grow food, to build skills in excel. It's amazing..

Cons

Bad managers exist, but when some are called out for being bad. Nothing happens to them, but a slap on the wrist. Some teams are completely ignored that are vital to the companies growth. However, they get little to no attention, and they could be so much more productive in helping the bottom line. There are no resources given to recognize these teams or realize the full potential. New initiatives are great and good, but.. so many older initiatives need to continue to be acknowledged as well.

Advice to Management

VP's and Directors, look at who is managing your teams. Look at the teams they're managing. Do some of them look really unhappy? If so, it's time to look at the managers responsible. Employees will complain about a bad manager, morale is important. Bad managers should not be more important than the wellness of the team.

Jul 11, 2017 – Vice President

Thank you so much for sharing your positive experience and your valuable feedback. We really appreciate that even though you recognize we're not perfect, you still believe we're worth 5 stars. We... More

"Great Employer that Promotes Work / Life Balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

On site fitness center. On site child care. On site greenhouse. Remote work options. Excellent 401K matching. Modern and open office with a variety of work areas. Accessible and communicative executive leadership. Regular company events and activities. Multiple health care plan options. Tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Convoluted compensation bands. Non-competitive pay in some positions.

"Great culture!"

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic culture, decent compensation, flexible schedule

Cons

Monotonous work, difficult to advance at times