Overstock.com Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Overstock.com CEO Patrick M. Byrne
Patrick M. Byrne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • In my department I have excellent work/life balance (in 68 reviews)

• Great environment with great people (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management all has different ideas of what they want (in 62 reviews)

• Institute a better work life balance policy (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Caring, Passionate, Exciting place to work!"

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Coworkers and management are very personable, and easy to get ahold of. They are eager to answer questions and to collaborate with you
    - Competitive pay with great growth opportunities
    - People are everything with this company, whether they are customers or internal. Everyone here ultimately helps the customer, so there is no job considered job
    - Work/life balance
    - Amazing perks! Fitness center, great cafe, greenhouse, and so many great classes that you are encouraged to take for free
    - You create your own experience - the company has a lot to offer, but you have to participate, collaborate, and help make the changes that you want to see

Cons

Nothing so far, but if you are not comfortable seeking out the things you want to learn or who you want to learn from then it could be a problem

Overstock.com Response

Jul 11, 2017 – Vice President

Thank you for this feedback. We like seeing 5-star reviews. We’re so happy to see that you’re enjoying your work at Overstock.

"I love Overstock."

Current Employee - Director in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Director in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Great career opportuntities to move and grow. I've been at overstock for six years and have enjoyed working with smart people who push me to move and grow in my career.

Cons

I love working at Overstock. No big downsides. Just the normal stresses of a company.

Advice to Management

Keep giving employees chances to move and grow in the organization.

"Overstock.com from an employee's point of view."

Current Employee - Fraud Investigator in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Fraud Investigator in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Overstock.com cares about it's employees and really takes the employee's life and situation into consideration. They don't treat their employees like they are disposable and they are constantly reminding you how much value you are to the company.

Cons

Sometimes I feel like my management plays favorites and isn't as understanding as they should be with some statistics. In my case, sometimes it feels like they are looking for quantity over quality.

Advice to Management

I would like to see more consideration and understanding from leads on stats, just because some numbers aren't as high as other peoples doesn't mean that we are not doing more for the company that is not shown in those numbers.

"Overstock.com is a great place to work."

Current Employee - Cutomer Care Agent in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Cutomer Care Agent in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Open, very even handed communication between staff and management. Personal issues are considered in every aspect: no rules are unbendable, but the fact that an employee is a person with a real life is always factored in.

Cons

There is a certain amount of high schoolish popularity contest that seems to go along with the youth of this company. Advancements and opportunities seem to be reliant as much on how fun and personable someone is as much as how much actual effort they put into doing a job well. Also, decisions are made about perks--activities and recreational items, by a small select group rather than a majority agreement.

Advice to Management

Management would do well to pay attention to the little guy--the people who do the dirty work of the actual customer contact. It seems that all of the perks and praise are alloted in the trickle down method, and we just get to hear about rewards and advancement. The employee of the month should be someone who answers the phone, not one of the people who monitors and assesses that work.

"I love working at Overstock.com!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

I think overstock.com has a great working environment. The culture allows us to be comfortable, but productive and I think that is incredibly important.

Cons

I think Utah in general is low paying, and Overstock.com definitely fits that description.

Advice to Management

In my last position (within Overstock) I had a lot of interaction with upper management and I was very impressed with how approachable everyone was. I have now moved to a different department and I hardly ever have words with any of them. I wish that more people knew what a great executive team we have, and I wish they were more available for people who do not interact with them on a daily basis.

"Overstock is a great place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

I've never worked for a company where a 'can do' attitude flows through the company. Compensation is good, and there's a good balance of work/personal time.

Cons

The hiriing process can be a bit slow, we are in need of more resources but it takes a while to go through the process.

Advice to Management

None at this time. Just keep listening!

"I am proud to work at Overstock.com"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

1. Overstock.com leaders do what they think is right regardless of what others might say.
    2. Overstock.com corporate values match my own: do the right thing; be respectful to customers, associates and others; take care of those who need it to the extent you are able; take care of the environment.
    3. You get measured based on what you contribute.

Cons

2. You get measured based on what you contribute.

Advice to Management

Define career paths better within each department. It isn't enough to tell us to use our online campus (O University rocks!). Tell us what skills we need to advance, advise us on how we can acquire those skills, and build more programs to support. There are some, I am just saying we need more and they should be specific to each department.

"Great place to work, overall"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Cottonwood Heights, UT

Pros

You can expect an honest working environment at Overstock.com. The first thing that they tell you when you're hired is "If you're caught in a lie, there goes your job." I've had a few difference managers, all of which have good support for family values, work ethic, and schedule flexibility. The pay is great, and the hiring process is rigorous enough that few (if any) slackers get hired.

Cons

Although there are opportunities for advancement within the company, most of them are management positions. There are few opportunities to advance purely on a technology level, even though the IT department (software dev, operations, etc) is quite large. Unless you are in management, don't expect anyone in management to really listen to your ideas. Even if you've been with the company for years, the lack of advance in job title says a lot.

Advice to Management

To the VPs and Directors, have more one-on-ones with those on the bottom of your food chain. There are things your direct reports would never tell you.

"Overstock.com"

Current Employee - CS for Jewelry and Watches in South Salt Lake, UT
    Current Employee - CS for Jewelry and Watches in South Salt Lake, UT

Pros

It is a great environment to work in very laid back, but people understand their job and do it well. Great people to work with.

Cons

We do not get raises unless we want to be promoted, but I have been doing a good job on the same team for almost 2 and a half years but no raises except from tier tests.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites

"Glad to be here."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Overall, a healthy corporate culture.
    Good technology--no career stagnation here.
    Life-work balance.
    OSTK is a good corporate citizen.
    OSTK is not a sinking ship; there is hope for my future here.
    Good teamwork.
    Approachable management.
    Problems get solved quickly; roadblocks get removed.
    No entrenched institutional incompetence; bumbling bureaucrats are not a protected class.
    Agile development environment means we DELIVER; we get stuff done.
    OSTK treats its customers well--I'm proud to be a part of that.

Cons

Though agile works well here, and I actively support it, there are disadvantages. The environment can get loud. Distractions and interruptions must be managed.

Advice to Management

Actively distinguish between the hard-working vs. those just skating by. If you don't, it's a complete sham. And it undercuts your own ability to lead in the future. If you have a hard working committed team mate beside one who's just punching the clock so to speak, and you treat them as equals, that is shameful (and it's really demotivating).