Overstock.com Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Overstock.com CEO Patrick M. Byrne
Patrick M. Byrne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • In my department I have excellent work/life balance (in 68 reviews)

• Great environment with great people (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management all has different ideas of what they want (in 62 reviews)

• Institute a better work life balance policy (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Caring, Passionate, Exciting place to work!"

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Coworkers and management are very personable, and easy to get ahold of. They are eager to answer questions and to collaborate with you
    - Competitive pay with great growth opportunities
    - People are everything with this company, whether they are customers or internal. Everyone here ultimately helps the customer, so there is no job considered job
    - Work/life balance
    - Amazing perks! Fitness center, great cafe, greenhouse, and so many great classes that you are encouraged to take for free
    - You create your own experience - the company has a lot to offer, but you have to participate, collaborate, and help make the changes that you want to see

Cons

Nothing so far, but if you are not comfortable seeking out the things you want to learn or who you want to learn from then it could be a problem

Overstock.com Response

Jul 11, 2017 – Vice President

Thank you for this feedback. We like seeing 5-star reviews. We’re so happy to see that you’re enjoying your work at Overstock.

"If you have to work at a call center, work here"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Valley City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Thorough paid training
    Excellent employee incentives
    Really good entry level pay

Cons

Hours (either super early or super late)
    It's a call center, so...

"Overstock Life"

Current Employee - Senior Talent Acquisition Partner in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Talent Acquisition Partner in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing Culture Onsite Gym, Onsite Daycare. Overstock has such a strong team culture, Overstock involves everyone! We have Internal growth and strong Entrepreneur leadership.

Cons

Never had a company before where I don't have any cons!

"A little dull for technical folks"

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

I actually have been pleased with the salary, benefits, etc.. For those in SLC, the daycare is a pretty sweet deal if you have kids. 401k match at 6% is pretty rare to find. The people I have worked with have been great (although most of them were let go).

Cons

Are you tired of all the Web 2.0 technologies? Do you long for the days of JSP, XHTML, AJAX? Maybe some Adobe sprinkled in? You'll find plenty at Overstock so come on board! How about sequential cron jobs that process millions of records and complete in only 14 hours? There is a lot of junk written by offshore groups and the technical staff is not sufficient to rewrite in newer technologies so lots of great talent are leaving for more exciting roles.

Advice to Management

Amazon and Wayfair think like tech companies, not like retail companies. Be innovative and embrace new technology, even if costs money, and maybe you can retain strong technical talent.

"A company that cares?"

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Things that Overstock cares for ...
    Bitcoin, annual layoffs, executive's family members, lawsuits, bitcoin.

Cons

Things that Overstock doesn't care for ...
    Stock price, share holders, business strategy, bonuses, employee morale, women in senior positions, convenient parking.

Advice to Management

Can a company really claim to be a company that "cares" when it believes in the practice of laying off a large number of people each year as a midguided way of raising the bar? When approximately 20% of your employees have been let go within 2 years for "performance" reasons, it might be time to start asking yourself if there just might be a larger fundamental problem that might be causing so many to fail. It might also be time to ask yourself how that practice is affecting your reputation as an employer and how it is affecting your ability to recruit talented people. Amenities don't make up for callousness.

"Work Environment"

Current Employee - Email Marketing Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Email Marketing Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, and a really cool building. There are benefits to working here.

Cons

Expectations to know how to do your job are high. Training could use some work here.

"Okay"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, poor management and even worse floor supervisors. Would give 3 stars if it wasn't for immature atmosphere.

Cons

Actual job is okay, if People there don't like you they make it horrible for you to be there.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the immature floor supervisors and step up with hiring some good people worth their salt for those positions.

"You've lost that loving feeling......"

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At one time there was a whole list of pros and unless you are in customer care there probably still are. Sure there is Lagoon day, we use to have a summer fun day and then care week but who know if they will have that this year

Cons

Management that doesn't invest in their employees. There are no trainings, nothing to prepare you to advance outside of customer care. They use to offer excel trainings and the like, but customer care stopped being allowed to go because calls were always holding so there is no chance to move with in the company without the skills. Then they decided to train the tier threes in backline work such as LTL, Jewelry etc and gave them no support. Common theme is they like to set people up to fail. Pretty sad if you ask me. Then comes this shift bid they have been talking about for two years and cramming the stats down the agents throats that would be used to determine your rank then when they decided to do it those are not even the stats that they are going by and it's too late to change those stats because it was whatever happened 90 days ago (what 90 days isn't clear) Remember early when I stated they trained tier 3 in backline with no support, one of the stats that is part of the ranking is adherence. Because the tier 3's had no training or support often they had to be in project work to work through a call as some of the calls required several steps again by unsupported agents. . It use to be a great call center to work in, the environment was a lot different like they wanted you to succeed, now its like you are being set up to fail. It's hard to walk away from a job you have been at for a while but even harder to see a good place to work being run into the ground. I won't even go into the horrible work life balance as it seems there isn't one, all management care about is the working side. The turnover rate is horrendous, there is still a lot of favoritism and certain pet people getting far more chances then other. I mean one supervisor quit and came back two weeks later with the same job and benefits as if they had never quit and others are not allowed back all simply because they don't have that relationship with the managers and directors. This place is for the birds

Advice to Management

Get rid of The director Talk to the veterans and ask them how to make it better. If you are going to do a shift bid let the agent know in advance what metrics they need to work on to give them a fighting chance to get the shift that is going to work for them. Don't preach for months that it's one metric and surprise them that it's another one, you are dealing with their lives here. Stop setting them up to fail by not giving them the support they need. Nobody likes to fail

"Caring Company with Focus on Betterment of Employees"

Current Employee - Accountant in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Accountant in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/Life balance is excellent. Company support for families is great. On site day care, medical facility and gym (and classes) is available to employees and their families. There are events outside of work to bring employees and their families together. As the health of employees is a focus of the company, they have built a green house onsite to grow food for the employee cafe. Benefits are pretty good: 50% health benefits paid by company, Education is covered based on grade (A's = 80%, B's = 60%, C's = 50% paid by company after completion) which is a great incentive to reach educational goals. I've never worked for a company like this before and it has been wonderful. Through their support, life has been able to become less stressful and steady, allowing for the ability to focus better on job performances and motivation. They do so much for their employees and I'm so grateful!

Cons

Nothing at the moment.

Advice to Management

Thank you for everything. The formats and practices our supervisors and managers use in team building really helps with learning and keeping communication clear.

"It started out great. But things have changed, and not in a good way"

Current Employee - Customer Care
    Current Employee - Customer Care

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good, loyal people work here and everyone is generally laid back and gets along.

Cons

Customer service management cannot get their acts together or deliver on promises. WE are not getting promotions as frequently as promised when hired, or even when the system changes. People are promised raises that they never get. Customer service is promised rewards they never get. Supervisors are not trained well, and are promoted without receiving help or direction. Any direction that is given changes literally the NEXT DAY. Deadlines always fall through, and management doesn't listen even though they wear silly t-shirts that promote how well they do listen.

Lack of accountability from upper management is driving away talent.

Advice to Management

Follow. Through. If you expect us to meet deadlines, and specific KPI's, you could at least give us promotions on time, or training (still no tier 2 training from MARCH), or shift bids, OR RAISES THAT WERE PROMISED BUT NEVER DELIVERED.

Overstock.com Response

Jul 29, 2017 – CEO

I apologize for what sounds like a slipshod experience. A new VP of Customer Care has been selected. If you have not heard yet, you will Monday. I think you are going to be quite happy with the... More