Overstock.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Overstock.com Reviews

Updated April 14, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • There are some reviews here that claim work/life balance is poor (in 65 reviews)

• Great environment with great people (in 40 reviews)

"Email Marketing Specialist"

Former Employee - Email Marketing Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Email Marketing Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people! You will learn so much here. Plenty of room for growth, and you can move amongst different departments to learn all aspects of marketing.

Cons

Upper management all has different ideas of what they want. Constant changes. Long hours during the holidays.

Advice to Management

Communicate with each other more. Decide what 'success' for the company means before each person relaying a different message to employees.

2. "PeopleCare Group"

Current Employee - Anyonymous in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anyonymous in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture is very chill * Extreme Fitness Culture * Very Cool Work Environment * Massage Therapist onsite - Medical Center onsite - Fresh Food Restaurant onsite - Flex Work Enviro- Great Benefits (401K 6% match - no vest) Crowd Sourcing is one way Leadership encourages voices to be heard and ideas implemented * Keeps it Real *

Cons

Extremely fast paced (not necessarily a con) but if you aren't nimble or used to the environment, you can be left behind quickly. Managers are home grown and need to be given proper people manager training (they are rolling a program out in 2017).

Advice to Management

Thank you for giving your workforce a voice to be heard. Please acknowledge the middle tier of the workforce - they are truly the employees who deserve recognition and kudos.

3. "Financial Manager"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The new facility is terrific: onsite day care, fitness center, physician, and cafeteria. Additionally, there are a lot of opportunities for upward and sideward mobility. If you get in, but it's not a good fit, there's a good chance you can change positions without changing companies. Another perk is a CEO who listens to and responds to employees. We get to vote on what benefits we want to receive and make anonymous suggestions that are actually heard and acted on.

Cons

It's a big company so there are a lot of inefficiencies that can make work more difficult. Workstations are small and lack privacy. The parking lot is a half mile from the front door.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employee voices and empower the people on the front line. The building Nucleus needs to be improved: it's difficult to access and honestly not a great destination.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been with Overstock for 5 years. I have to say that we do change often and this can be hard to accept at times for people. I know that we have heard a lot about the recent changes. I have been reading the reviews and feel that this is from people who did not want to be accountable for their own actions and have attacked the ones who hold them responsible.
    Watching how Customer Service has changed over the last year for Overstock has been exciting and a new adventure. Linda came in and has stopped the “favoritism”. What is fair for one is fair for all. Linda cares about every employee on the floor. She will make time to speak with anyone who requests. She watches to see who cares and who has the potential to move up and will assist everyone in meeting the goals for their dream position.
    Having a VP who takes the time to know each person on the call floor is a breath of fresh air. She makes decisions on what is fair and consistent for everyone and takes the time for brown bag sessions and round tables to explain the decisions that are made and why. Linda takes the time to listen to complaints and concerns from everyone before moving forward. I do not know anywhere else that has a VP like Linda who takes concerns and complaints into the decision. Linda will push people for growth and knows the steps that need to be taken to ensure this happens. I could not imagine Overstock without her! She has made Customer Service better in every way.
    We have moved forward with a new Management Team who has the experience and the training to assist us with our goals. This does not mean that they are friends and that is why they are here. They have all worked for Customer Service and Call Centers and earned their position. How can judgement be made without the facts?
    We are lucky to have the opportunity to work with our management team! This team is dedicated to our success and not failure.
    Thank you Linda, Michelle, and Management for the new path and the tools to succeed!

Cons

I do not have any

Overstock.com Response

Feb 17, 2017 – CEO

You are welcome. And thank you.

6. "Proper Work Life Balance"

Current Employee - Director in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Director in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

Overstock has a data driven Leadership team, a change from the past that was more trial and error based on a gut feeling. I like that fact we are encouraged to take calculated risks and that we run our own teams within the business. G&A is a guideline, and if you need more to deliver more, that is your decision to make. There is inherent risk / reward with the philosophy, but it makes the work place exciting.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like we are a mile wide and an inch deep. We are e-tailer; and the money and focus should follow accordingly.

Advice to Management

Fewer, Bigger, Better when focusing on opportunities for growth.

"Worst Company to work for"

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

401k
    Relaxed environment
    New facility
    Gym
    Day care

Cons

First of all, if you only know how to work hard and get job done, your job is still not safe. Layoff happens every year and regardless of your performance, they will let you go.

Company has no vision. In the past, they considered Amazon as their competitor. But now they consider wayfair is their competitor. Most of the projects are completely visionless and not helping company to be in profit.

Hackathon - They do this to motivate their best talent. However they give price to selected team every year. Same people are in same team. Managers/directors are also participating and of course they just give out price money [which is almost $1k - $3k] to their relatives.

If you have relatives is in management, you will be promoted every 3 to 6 months regardless of your seniority/experience/knowledge. CEO may know about this but he might be helpless about this.

Advice to Management

Retain your best talent
    You need to change your upper management with more versatile skilled employees rather than your relatives and people who can speak proper english.

Focus on Company rather than playing ping pong.

Overstock.com Response

Apr 7, 2017 – Vice President

Thank you for your review. Like most businesses, we cull poor performers continuously from our workforce. If you are feeling unsure of the stability of your position, we encourage you to speak ... More

8. "Great culture"

Current Employee - Current Employee in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Midvale, UT

Pros

Great work environment, wonderful place to work for self-starters who enjoy working on cross functional teams.

Cons

Institute a better work life balance policy.

Advice to Management

Keep growing the company and treating people fairly.

"Fast-paced atmosphere with amazing growth opportunities"

Current Employee - Senior Operations Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Operations Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love the new president. He's making great changes that are focusing the company and creating ROI. New campus is awesome and really increased morale.

Cons

Work and pressure are imbalanced between departments. Some teams work 65+ weeks while others work 35. Minds change quickly when performance is weak, while making long-term strategies harder to implement

Advice to Management

Good changes, just need a great long-term strategy.

"Company In Turmoil"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool new building, although not quite what we expected. It has a cafeteria and the work areas are definitely open floorplan but cramped work areas and lack of personal space makes it hard to concentrate. Also, the “child care” is really more of an expensive pre-school for the upper level people who can already afford child-care, not the majority of us entry level people working paycheck to paycheck…. Who the heck came up with this menu of employee “perks” anyway?

Bottom line: Cool new building but open floorplan and childcare are a swing and a miss.

Cons

Not a great place to get promoted unless you are part of the inner circle. I know this common in small mom-n-pop shops like Overstock, but it’s definitely more prevalent here than I’ve ever seen before and it is hampering company growth and confidence in senior management.

There is also something odd going on with the executive team. Anyone close to the past president has either left or is on the verge of leaving and been replaced by people from the CEO’s inner circle. I know these type of management cleansings are common in business, but 10 executives in less than a year from a company of 1,500 employees is pretty severe in my experience. I can’t say if things are better or worse with these changes but this kind of movement is concerning.

My biggest issue is that Overstock has returned to the annual “rank-and-yank” policy that the CEO is such a fan of. No one is safe. I think the thing that bothers me most about Patrick’s disconnected “rich boy” attitude is that he waits until after Christmas to make the cuts, because he needs his worker-bees putting in long, hard stressful hours to get him through the shopping season. Once the holiday is over and he’s counted his money, he immediately demands cuts from his managers… He's a real piece of work!

Bottom line: Not a good place to build a career. Too many politics, low job security, and out of touch CEO.

Advice to Management

The people strategy needs a makeover. The new building and cafeteria are nice but you can't buy loyal with a few bobbles, you need to earn it with actions. Hope this helps.

"LOOSER!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working for the company is a good resume builder IF you can last before you get let go on a whim of the CEO.

Cons

Schizophrenic Senior management.with no strategy. Heavy male domination at top level. Only two females at executive level (1 VP of Facilities, 1 SVP of Talent Management) out of 1800 employees! This company would rather spend million of dollars developing off Brand initiatives rather than dedicating resources to make money on the retail side of Overstock.com

Advice to Management

You haven't listened to advice before....there is no hope for this company.The more you keep letting go of your senior people and bringing in newbies you'll never rise above your current status.