Overstock.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Overstock.com Reviews

Updated September 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • In my department I have excellent work/life balance (in 68 reviews)

• Great environment with great people (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management all has different ideas of what they want (in 62 reviews)

• Institute a better work life balance policy (in 17 reviews)

"OMGWTF is this place for real?"

I have been working at Overstock.com (More than a year)

Pros

I had a great boss for a while until he was one of the many that has been let go for dumb reasons.

Cons

Mr Byrne is trolling us. There is no way a real CEO would put the president's posse in charge unless he wanted to watch his company burn from the inside.

Advice to Management

Remember that episode of Seinfeld where George does the opposite of his instincts? That probably applies to you.

"Carter"

Pros

If you work in HR you apparently love it! IT used to be an awesome place when he was in charge too.

Cons

Its all a crap show. They can't really think this is a business model that will work, do they? I mean, come on.

Advice to Management

Someone said it earlier, Carter and (I guess Popelka) are the only ones worth keeping. Never worked for the latter so I can't say, but I can say Carter is the best. More leaders like him might get you somewhere. If you really look at the good ratings, you can see they come from the people care....aka Carter's team. They're the only reason you almost have a 3 star.

"Coordinator"

I worked at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

The social aspect of the company is great. You will easily make friends with their open environments and all of their company celebrations. You will play hard and work hard.

Cons

Leadership has a chip on their shoulder. Management doesn't last long and it feels very cutthroat at times.

"Great people.. terrible executive leadership"

Former Employee - Analytics Intern in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Analytics Intern in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart people to learn from (until they leave)
    Good Equipment to use
    Good leaders or mentors

Cons

Pay isn't amazing
    No vision or leadership
    Too many "yes men"

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves and let someone who actually wants to run a business take over.

"This is a place that mongers fear"

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can't really think of any. Some of the people are super nice, knowledgeable and friendly - until they get laid off.

Cons

Management is utterly terrible. My supervisor in particular has a "my way or the highway" approach, and if you suggest different ways of doing things (or even tell her that you're confused!) she'll schedule a meeting with just you, and it feels like the only real purpose of these are to intimidate you and feel like you're about to be fired. Also, they fire people for no apparent reason - one lady I worked with was fired even though she was generating the highest viewing activity in merchandising. This workplace seems like it's trying to make people afraid.

Advice to Management

The CEO needs to learn that no one cares about his stupid card memory trick. Being a decent human is a little more important.

"Executive Trash"

Pros

The 10 minute walk from the parking structure to my desk allows me to enjoy the nice summer weather 4 times a day.

Cons

The executive that is supposed to be over software development (and his brother) have completely destroyed what once was a strong technology culture. Now it's all about them applying pressure through threats of being fired to deliver in unreasonable time frames, which of course leads to corners being cut and poor software quality. Leadership doesn't even realize that we have become 5 years behind the technology trends because they make no effort to be informed. Overstock's reputation is so bad in our area that we can't hire any local talent.

Advice to Management

Since you're so big on surveys, you should really take a survey on how the techies feel about that waste of an executive that is supposed to be responsible for software development.

Overstock.com Response

Jul 11, 2017 – Vice President

We’re sorry to hear that your experience here is not more positive.

We hope you participated in the recent Leadership Feedback survey so that your leader has the opportunity to receive your... More

"Beware the Transparency and Random Layoffs"

Former Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Midvale, UT
    Former Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Midvale, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Facility, Pay is Fair, Benefits are Fair

Cons

There appeared to be these sort of secretive random layoffs every couple of years as some sort of unpublished management policy. If appeared if you were not in the right clique your odds of being laid off increased significantly. I saw a lot of good Directors on down get laid off for what appeared to be no specific reason other than not in with the right crowd. No real explanation was ever given to their subordinates other than they were not the right fit. It made you nervous once you started seeing random people were being laid off when it started happening.

Advice to Management

It appeared the way Bonuses were given was always changing. There was a perception that the company would be doing well but the bonuses didn't reflect that for most. The continued changing of the process didn't seem transparent. Cliques in IT have developed and to most people it appeared you needed to be in that Clique to get promoted or feel protected from what appeared to be random layoffs.

Overstock.com Response

May 5, 2017 – CEO

When we choose to part ways with a colleague we are not in the habit of telling other people, including subordinates, what drove our decision. In addition, I can assure you that the layoffs are... More

"Hard Work Gets Rewarded"

Current Employee - People Care Organization in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - People Care Organization in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- In my department if you work hard you are acknowledged, rewarded, and feel valued
    - Amazing building with great amenities
    - Onsite Daycare (its great that your kids are so close and they have apps for you to keep tabs on your kids while you work)
    - Onsite Health Care, with a fantastic doctor and support staff
    - In my department I have excellent work/life balance
    - Great interactions with executives, they'll talk with you, shoot the breeze with you, and help facilitate and implement your ideas
    - Love the convenience of having a cafe onsite with plenty of options
    - You get to work with awesome people. Diversity is welcome and appreciated.
    - The president of the company has taken time to have a conversation with me - non business related
    - Our leaders in our department genuinely care and go out of their way to make things better
    - With the exception of the first two years that I have worked here I have received pay increases directly tied to my work and merits, even though we have strayed from a formal annual review process
    - Our department takes care of the employees in the department sometimes making herculean efforts to do so
    - We have so many "boomerangs" which tells me the grass isn't greener someplace else. People always come back.
    - My department has a great Director, VP, and SVP
    - Whenever I need a change in my job, my boss does his very best to find things to keep me engaged, growing, and progressing
    - I am given challenging tasks that have great rewards
    - There are opportunities for formal and informal mentoring

Cons

- It took way too long to get rid of people who were not the right fit
    - You kept a VP (too long) who was hell bent on changing the Overstock culture, stopped measuring key performance indicators, and minimized the value of our CEO and Founder
    - Because of this you lost a lot of trust in the Customer Care Organization
    - You scaled back in the executive management team yet you are currently overstaffed in Customer Care management
    - You've lost the wonderful culture that used to exist in Customer Care
    - The same VP you left in her position to long, pushed great tenured management into superfluous positions that doesn't add value to the company so she could move in her people. And because they were worried about losing their job some of them managed to alienate people who were only trying to help them out
    - Some senior management is afraid to call any shots because they don't want to be held accountable for the outcome or fired
    - This is uber petty - but I really hate the walk from the parking structure into the building.
    - This is also uber petty - I wish there was fruit punch in the fountain drinks and not the gaterade fruit punch, but like real HI-C Fruitpunch

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward... In the last 5 years I have seen so many great changes and promises fulfilled like building the new building, and bringing compensation above market (I feel like I am finally getting paid at the low end or my range)

Add fruit punch to the soda machine :)

Make decisions and do not be afraid of the outcome

Its great that we crowd source, but sometimes you need to make decisions with out involving everyone... It becomes too tedious and progress stops because you are waiting for a consensus.

Oh and it would be great to have the CEO respond to this post.

"Great first start"

Former Employee - Web Developer
    Former Employee - Web Developer

I worked at Overstock.com (Less than a year)

Pros

The coffee machine was quality. They gave me my first shot out of code camp when I probably didn't deserve it so I am thankful for that. They will allow you to learn as much as you want.

Cons

From what I understand, the "con" at Overstock has been removed.

"Great Employer that Promotes Work / Life Balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

On site fitness center. On site child care. On site greenhouse. Remote work options. Excellent 401K matching. Modern and open office with a variety of work areas. Accessible and communicative executive leadership. Regular company events and activities. Multiple health care plan options. Tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Convoluted compensation bands. Non-competitive pay in some positions.