Overstock.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Overstock.com Reviews

Updated July 16, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • In my department I have excellent work/life balance (in 67 reviews)

• Great environment with great people (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management all has different ideas of what they want (in 61 reviews)

• Institute a better work life balance policy (in 17 reviews)

"Company In Turmoil"

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool new building, although not quite what we expected. It has a cafeteria and the work areas are definitely open floorplan but cramped work areas and lack of personal space makes it hard to concentrate. Also, the “child care” is really more of an expensive pre-school for the upper level people who can already afford child-care, not the majority of us entry level people working paycheck to paycheck…. Who the heck came up with this menu of employee “perks” anyway?

Bottom line: Cool new building but open floorplan and childcare are a swing and a miss.

Cons

Not a great place to get promoted unless you are part of the inner circle. I know this common in small mom-n-pop shops like Overstock, but it’s definitely more prevalent here than I’ve ever seen before and it is hampering company growth and confidence in senior management.

There is also something odd going on with the executive team. Anyone close to the past president has either left or is on the verge of leaving and been replaced by people from the CEO’s inner circle. I know these type of management cleansings are common in business, but 10 executives in less than a year from a company of 1,500 employees is pretty severe in my experience. I can’t say if things are better or worse with these changes but this kind of movement is concerning.

My biggest issue is that Overstock has returned to the annual “rank-and-yank” policy that the CEO is such a fan of. No one is safe. I think the thing that bothers me most about Patrick’s disconnected “rich boy” attitude is that he waits until after Christmas to make the cuts, because he needs his worker-bees putting in long, hard stressful hours to get him through the shopping season. Once the holiday is over and he’s counted his money, he immediately demands cuts from his managers… He's a real piece of work!

Bottom line: Not a good place to build a career. Too many politics, low job security, and out of touch CEO.

Advice to Management

The people strategy needs a makeover. The new building and cafeteria are nice but you can't buy loyal with a few bobbles, you need to earn it with actions. Hope this helps.

"LOOSER!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working for the company is a good resume builder IF you can last before you get let go on a whim of the CEO.

Cons

Schizophrenic Senior management.with no strategy. Heavy male domination at top level. Only two females at executive level (1 VP of Facilities, 1 SVP of Talent Management) out of 1800 employees! This company would rather spend million of dollars developing off Brand initiatives rather than dedicating resources to make money on the retail side of Overstock.com

Advice to Management

You haven't listened to advice before....there is no hope for this company.The more you keep letting go of your senior people and bringing in newbies you'll never rise above your current status.

"Layoffs...not a surprise"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Anything that might look like a pro....thorough orientation, on site counselors, fancy cafe...is superficial. It's all for ahow.

Cons

Immature and shortsighted management, hence the routine hiring then firing as an accepted business practice. These are people's lives! Management is allowed to be vindictive and run out talented people because of personal grudges, even when they can give no complaints about the quality, quantity, or timeliness of your work. So working hard is no guarantee of success here. It's all about who you know.

Advice to Management

The Board should demand that the President and CEO be replaced with competent, proven business leaders. Or Overstock will be out of business.

"Customer service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Got to learn a lot about life and how it's the big people that win

Cons

Pay is the worst. Depressing work place and people. Patrick Byrne the CEO is the the worst.

"Nice Company to work for"

Current Employee - Software Developer-1 in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Software Developer-1 in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learning experience.
    401K plan.
    Work life balance

Cons

Frequently firing employees because of this many employees are leaving company.

Advice to Management

Senior management not handling situation effectively else would not have lost valuable employees.

"Best Place to work in SLC"

Current Employee - Senior Supply Chain Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Supply Chain Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance. 401K, Subsidized cafeteria food. Modern open work-space. Competent people. Culture. Trust. Value.

Cons

Almost no bonus structure.

"Great Place To Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment, the people are great. New Management and the new executive team is the best is has been.

Cons

Benefits /Pay could be more competitive

Advice to Management

Keep going on the right direction.

"Changes"

Current Employee - Customer Care in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Care in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Right now I am hard pressed to find anything positive about working here. Where I once loved my job, it has now become the biggest chore and I am always heavy hearted and resentful when having to log in at work.

Cons

This has always been an incredible place to work until recently. There have been numerous changes in hours of operation, in processes, in policies and focus which have served to create a hostile work environment. Understanding that changes are necessary for growth, and appreciating the vision that is often touted, the changes have been constant, and not in line with the vision they express to have. People are now literally afraid for their jobs and these are the solid, dedicated ones. There was a time when you felt like your work mattered, that you were valued and that you were seen as an integral part of the whole. Now, you are less than a number, less than a statistic, you are only a body to respond to customers needs and your empowerment is gone.

Advice to Management

Recognize that your greatest assets are the employees. So many loyal, dedicated employees are leaving because they are literally being edged out, for example, your chat teams. Patrick, your employees need you to step in!

"A mess if bloated upper management and poor middle management."

Current Employee - Marketing in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Marketing in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I suppose the new building is a pro, but if the company can't function and communicate properly, who cares about an in-house cafe?

Cons

Bloated, bad, and incompetent upper and mid-management has lead to bad communication and distrust between departments. It's like pulling teeth to coordinate or work in tandem with other departments.

Advice to Management

Stop working on pet projects and focus on the greater good of the company. De-bloat upper management and better train middle management to value employees. Managers should be working just as hard for employees as employees are working for the company. Stop promoting people based on years with the company instead of promoting actual talent who can do the job.

"Not what I was expecting"

Former Employee - Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome culture, great benefits. A very friendly atmosphere and a "family" type work environment.

Cons

Limited/no training, constant change of direction, unstable.

When key executives are walking away from this company, you have to wonder what sort of footing they are really on. Long term outlook seems leek, based on the fact that they don't really know where they fit on the online marketplace.

Advice to Management

I highly doubt anyone is listening, but the constant changes of direction will drive the company into the ground. You desperately need to focus on where the company is going on what they are trying to be.