Overstock.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Overstock.com Reviews

Updated August 15, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • In my department I have excellent work/life balance (in 68 reviews)

• Great environment with great people (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management all has different ideas of what they want (in 62 reviews)

• Institute a better work life balance policy (in 17 reviews)

"Lots of empty promises"

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Elma, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Elma, WA

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Full benefits, decent pay, training was okay.

Cons

We were told in training overstock is not like any other call center. We were told that they would be interviewing people for floor support and team leader positions that would be posted on workday. We got to the floor skipped tier 1 nesting and tossed in to production. Management was annoyed that a new class was asking so many questions. Did not have computers for the first 4 weeks of training, Got in the new building 2 months later no evacuation plans. Management pulled people off the phones they liked and were friends with to promote up to team leaders and floor support no interviews involved. lots of nepotism and disorganization. Overstock is not like any other call center I have worked at because every call center I worked at job performance is what got you promoted not how well Management liked you.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting people you like and do it off job performance. Get more organized. Stop lying to people

"Going South ..."

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good 401K match
    Massage chairs
    Ping pong
    Yoga , meditation , GYM
    Digital faucets in the restrooms - that indicate temperature
    Good for building your technical resume (if you are in technology) and moving on

Cons

Food is ok but overpriced ....(when they decide to call it subsidized). Now you have to pay taxes on things you buy from the Cafeteria

Firing is random and does not stop, approx 1 director gets fired every 3 months.

The company is confused on what to project itself as.

They are still focused on selling carpets , home and kitchen where as the other eCommerce companies are selling the world

Now they are trying to do something about the stock market but the leadership is not good enough to drive things to competition

No defined processes for promotion , growth .Its a little random and depends on your manager (You may not grow if your manager is a slacker)

Advice to Management

Focus either on stock markets or overstock ... you cannot have both stocks :P

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

First, the brand new building is awesome. Everything is so clean, organized, up to date, modern, and so many other good things. Second, the people that work here are great. My team cares in making sure everyone excels and performs well. But they also know how to have a good time. Everyone is very friendly and willing to help. Also the CEO is everywhere. You will catch him eating with everyone in the cafeteria, popping in on meetings just see how things are going and the direction of decisions teams make. Very much a guy that is among his employees. Nice new equipment depending on your role and responsibilities. There are a lot of pros.

Cons

Challenges so far is some of the software choices to be used aren't 100% the best option, but that really just comes down to a matter of preference. The walk from the building to where the parking garage is during cold, windy, wet weather, isn't the best. Just bundle up and bring an umbrella.

Overstock.com Response

Apr 7, 2017 – Vice President

Thank you for your review. We work hard to create an engaging, innovative, and balanced workplace. And just wait... once the weather warms, we bet you'll enjoy starting and ending your work day... More

"Anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good place to build a diverse skill set before you go to a real business.
    I keep hearing that the building itself is something that I should be giving gratitude to my selected deity on a nightly basis but like most things Overstock, they are basing the strength of amenities on two year old data and the silicon slopes have lapped us. Well, I'm comparing Overstock to real tech companies which isn't fair.

Cons

1. They don't write history books about second-rate internet retailers. What does that have to do with the price of tea in China you ask? Our humble servant realized that he was loosing the war to Amazon and needed to pivot...so enter the lawsuit. 10 years of mob bosses and Sith Lords and execs wearing wires yada yada yada. The company only existed as a vehicle for the lawsuit. So what now that the lawsuit ends and he still isn't the subject of a biography? Bitcoin! Block chain! Look here! I have a legacy beyond an outlet mall on the internet! So now Overstock only exists to further fund the vain glory of the CEO. It's tough to build long-term visions and strategies as Overstock will always be his redhead stepchild while he desperately tries to distance himself from the most accurate description of him; that of the bottom-feeder getting fat on the remains of expiring e-tailers. Dude, just publish your autobiography on Amazon like every other independent hack writer does nowadays.
    2. The "do as I say not as I do" mentally among much of Sr management. This is again driven from the CEO who laments the fact that his offices are empty at 6 or 7 at night as he sends the entire staff videos of his ski vacations taken during customer care's PTO blackout period. What was that line about sitting in the cart again? Or was it save paper clips or cutting the end of the ham? So many self-serving played out mantras so little time.

Advice to Management

I always find it funny when users direct their efforts in this section to trying to make the CEO see their side, as if the Chief Executive of a $2 billion company has the time or thin enough skin to battle each honest review....¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I guess he has more in common with the Trump than he lets on. But on the real, only use employment at Overstock as a spring board to a legit company and never say no to a request from the exec team, no matter how demeaning or outlandish.

"Listen Linda"

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities to work from home.

Cons

Overstock is going through a lot of changes. However, that is not the problem. In these changes, employees were lied to for almost a year and now that everything is rolling out and see what is really happening we get silenced when we try and talk about it or get the answers. Overstock USED to be a great place to work, and I USED to feel valued as an employee. Not any more. Oh, but now we do get daily inspirational emails! Barf.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to the "face of the company".

"Management is questionable"

Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance. If you are on a good team it is a great place.

Cons

Too much nepotism.If you re related to someone in management you will have a great job waiting for you. Good people will be fired to make room for you. If you are a woman or white, forget it.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to employees. There will be no bonuses. You know it. Every year you come up with some new bonus structure to get employees to think they have a chance at a bonus. It never happens.
    DO NOT have relatives working together as you do. If a person in top management has a relative working at the same company its wrong. just wrong.
    Stop the layoffs disguised as firings. when they get severance it is a layoff and the employees are not fooled.
    Hire the right people in the first place.
    Oh, and get rid of the employees that do nothing. it is discouraging when you see people who work get let go and others that have no clue about anything kept and even praised.

"Admin"

I worked at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Great Company, no cons to speak of.

"Intern"

Pros

The people were great! The amenities were nice! I was treated very fairly as an intern.

Cons

I felt like things were very unorganized! A go with the flow type attitude instead of having things structured.

"Great people, unreliable company"

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People are like family, benefits were mid level.

Cons

Multiple mass layoffs each year, pay is uncompletitive, favoritism rules, no one is held accountable for workplace accidents- like 20 people have slipped on the floors, cult like mentality, parking lot is far away from building&cafeteria onsite encouraging people not to leave work, absolutely no work/life balance, they give people less than $.50 raises, forget taking time off or even just going home to relax because you'll be on email on your phone at home that you can't clock in for, no opportunity to move up after certain points.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring more people than you know you need, put some rugs down, respect the people that work for you.

Overstock.com Response

Apr 6, 2017 – CEO

I will respond to each of your points in turn:
    Cons

"Multiple mass layoffs each year" - We filter. We weed our non-performers. Sometimes we do it continuously, but other times we let some build... More

"Things I learnt at Overstock"

Current Employee - Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

I made some good friends here.

Good work life balance.

If you are in marketing, things change so quickly, that you may need to complete 1 in every 5 projects. The rest get scrapped.

As long as you are not ambitious, and do what you are told, you have great job security.

Reorg is the norm. If you have a bad project, don't worry, someone else will get it in a few months. Or you may change teams in a few months.

In case you want to get into Sr Management, but have zero experience and training in managing people, you have a chance to succeed at Overstock.

Cons

Nepotism.

People are set up to fail (mostly... not all the time).

Advice to Management

Please read some of the other bad reviews.