Overstock.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Overstock.com Reviews

Pros
  • There are some reviews here that claim work/life balance is poor (in 65 reviews)

• Great environment with great people (in 40 reviews)

Cons

"I love working at Overstock.com!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

I think overstock.com has a great working environment. The culture allows us to be comfortable, but productive and I think that is incredibly important.

Cons

I think Utah in general is low paying, and Overstock.com definitely fits that description.

Advice to Management

In my last position (within Overstock) I had a lot of interaction with upper management and I was very impressed with how approachable everyone was. I have now moved to a different department and I hardly ever have words with any of them. I wish that more people knew what a great executive team we have, and I wish they were more available for people who do not interact with them on a daily basis.

"Overstock is a great place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

I've never worked for a company where a 'can do' attitude flows through the company. Compensation is good, and there's a good balance of work/personal time.

Cons

The hiriing process can be a bit slow, we are in need of more resources but it takes a while to go through the process.

Advice to Management

None at this time. Just keep listening!

"I am proud to work at Overstock.com"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

1. Overstock.com leaders do what they think is right regardless of what others might say.
    2. Overstock.com corporate values match my own: do the right thing; be respectful to customers, associates and others; take care of those who need it to the extent you are able; take care of the environment.
    3. You get measured based on what you contribute.

Cons

2. You get measured based on what you contribute.

Advice to Management

Define career paths better within each department. It isn't enough to tell us to use our online campus (O University rocks!). Tell us what skills we need to advance, advise us on how we can acquire those skills, and build more programs to support. There are some, I am just saying we need more and they should be specific to each department.

"Overstock.com"

Current Employee - CS for Jewelry and Watches in South Salt Lake, UT
    Current Employee - CS for Jewelry and Watches in South Salt Lake, UT

Pros

It is a great environment to work in very laid back, but people understand their job and do it well. Great people to work with.

Cons

We do not get raises unless we want to be promoted, but I have been doing a good job on the same team for almost 2 and a half years but no raises except from tier tests.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites

"Glad to be here."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Overall, a healthy corporate culture.
    Good technology--no career stagnation here.
    Life-work balance.
    OSTK is a good corporate citizen.
    OSTK is not a sinking ship; there is hope for my future here.
    Good teamwork.
    Approachable management.
    Problems get solved quickly; roadblocks get removed.
    No entrenched institutional incompetence; bumbling bureaucrats are not a protected class.
    Agile development environment means we DELIVER; we get stuff done.
    OSTK treats its customers well--I'm proud to be a part of that.

Cons

Though agile works well here, and I actively support it, there are disadvantages. The environment can get loud. Distractions and interruptions must be managed.

Advice to Management

Actively distinguish between the hard-working vs. those just skating by. If you don't, it's a complete sham. And it undercuts your own ability to lead in the future. If you have a hard working committed team mate beside one who's just punching the clock so to speak, and you treat them as equals, that is shameful (and it's really demotivating).

"For the most part I do love my job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

I love what I do and I like the people I work with. Its good pay in comparison to other jobs out there.

Cons

I think upper management could be alot more supportive of customer service. Their snide remarks don't help when we are busting our ass and working over time to get stuff done is not appreciated. We're the best team there is and we get no praise.

Advice to Management

Drop the attitudes. Don't be hypocrites.

"One opinion of Overstock as a place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

With few exceptions, everyone I work with genuinely loves working here. They are all hard workers and knowledgeable concerning their job functions. Most of the people here have worked their way up and are familiar with the business processes to complete their assigned tasks. They are fair in all aspects of work.

Cons

At times it is difficult to determine just how much my contribution is valued. I don't need a consistent pat on the back but a monthly pow wow would be very helpful to assess just where I and my team mates are with management.

Advice to Management

enforce monthly team meetings. I know some don't like them, but it's better to have all team members know where they stand in the company than to have them go about their daily duties wondering if their contribution is meaningful.

"Overstock.com company loyalty"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Stable, growing company. Very loyal teams and low turnover. The feel of the corporate office is that everyone is very devoted to their job, to the company, and very busy.

Cons

I never considered myself a workaholic before working at overstock, but I find myself working through lunches, staying late... etc. Sometimes this is a high-stress job.

Advice to Management

The leadership would be wise to listen to feedback and specific advice from the little people in the trenches. Overstock hires thinkers, and encourages them to be proactive - they could take better advantage of the creative intelligence of the underlings.

10. "At work with The O"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Most of the managers i have encountered have encouraged growth within the company by sharing their knowlegde and helping their employees succeed in the tasks they have given. Overall there are very positive people in management positions who are open and helpful to the associates they are in charge of.

Cons

In my departmental transfers i have had difficult transitional periods adjusting to a head-strong individual who possesses an aggressive micro-management style but lacks the overarching grasp of his possition to assign tasks that have clear conditions in which the goals were to be achieved. Luckily, my flexibility allows a sort of middle ground where i get my job done without affecting anything adversely.

Advice to Management

Most of the managers here show a willingness to get "into the trenches" and work alongside their associates shouldering the load when days get hectic, it's very comendable to see that motivation of "do as i do", rather than managing from a chair relying solely on delegation of leg work to leads to pass information up and down the chain. And it's not just middle management, the upper echelon of leadership is not afraid to get out on the floor and work up a sweat.

"Pay more"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

It's a laid back company that listens to it's employees ideas.

Cons

Their pay compensation isn't anywhere near other companies. Recognition is few and far between.

Advice to Management

People only do what they are paid to do. Are you getting the work you need to keep this company in the high numbers for customer care?