Overstock.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Overstock.com Reviews

Updated March 14, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • There are some reviews here that claim work/life balance is poor (in 64 reviews)

• Great environment with great people (in 40 reviews)

Cons

"Work atmosphere is going downhill"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has built a new, iconic campus with nice amenities. The stated goal is to make Overstock a great place to work, and there are several in management who take that to heart and strive to do right by the employees. At one time this company was a great place.

Cons

While the departure of the former president held promise, the departure of the acting CEO was a huge loss. The new, top-level leadership of the company is in general unskilled for the task, but rather represents a cadre of weekend buddies. Their demonstrated contempt for the concept of servant leadership has quickly destroyed morale in many departments. Those underlings who take their cues from these leaders have learned to be self-serving and disrespectful to the employee base at large.

Advice to Management

Patrick, pick your leaders based on their competencies rather than their ability to demonstrate friendship to you. Many of the leaders in the company need to be replaced. They are a cancer to the future of the organization.

"Customer Service, Chat"

Former Employee - Customer Service Chat Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Chat Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

I loved having the power to make decisions for my customers. There were guidelines, but not many hard and fast rules. Annual company picnic was great fun. Working from home was amazing.

Cons

I didn't make enough to be able to afford to live as a single parent. Better and more flexibility would have been nice. Changing a schedule was like moving a mountain. Stress, Stress, Stress.

Advice to Management

Don't just say that you love your employees, actually do it. There was more talking about how great you treat your employees than there was action. Walk the Walk.

"Cs"

Pros

Good benefits that is family oriented

Cons

Growth is too slow to stay.

Advice to Management

Help your team grow faster

"Much improved"

Pros

I have worked at overstock for years and love the company. The new leadership team is data driven and tech centric. All the good employees we lost in the last two years are coming back because it is doing so well.

Cons

It's big black eye was our former President. A lot of the criticism here was legit and the company lost some great employees because of it.
    The new management team is very data driven. If you don't like having a number that says how well you do your job it will be hard on you.

Advice to Management

Don't let another leader choke off the flow of information to the top.

"Identity Crisis"

Pros

Decent to their people; high employee longevity; playful atmosphere in many departments; good work/life balance.

Cons

Upper management seems to have had trouble growing up from their carefree years as a plucky Internet startup when simply being a web retailer guaranteed success to the mature and disciplined retailer that they'll need to become to thrive in the new landscape. Middle management often moves by intuition rather than by strategic edict. Tough to recommend to a friend in its current situation.

Advice to Management

- Read "23 Immutable Laws of Marketing" and take the lesson - STOP BRAND EXTENDING the concept of "leftover stock" into brainspaces where it doesn't fit (ie, luxury, local, millennial, etc.). If you want to move into those spaces CREATE NEW BRANDS TO DO SO!

- Decide on a brand identity and be true to it. One brand cannot - SHOULD NOT - be all things to all people. Other than Amazon of course, but that fight is over.

- Stop changing corporate priorities every 2 quarters.

"Dysfunctional"

Current Employee - Operations
    Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun and exciting industry
    Great new building with a fantastic cafeteria
    New building has better access to public transportation.
    Individual teams work hard but good talent doesn't stay long

Cons

This organization is male dominated and females are not welcome or valued. The females at the director level and above are not allowed to contribute. The President and his followers are self-serving, incompetent, and often dishonest.

Another failure point, no communication. This company runs from the top down and there is rarely any meaningful communication or thought leadership.

The organization is fast paced, accomplishing little. Vague strategies and inconsistencies among executives.

All are afraid to tell the CEO the truth. With the new President we expected less management by fear. That did not happen, it is fear derived by dishonesty and irrational decisions. Kissing up is a core skill. Everyone spends time faking loyalty to Patrick, instead of paying attention to driving the business. A hard environment.

Advice to Management

The President needs to surround himself with competent leaders. Some executive leadership training or an executive coach for the President.

"Cleaning House"

Former Employee - Undisclosed in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Undisclosed in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary, 401K, and vacation plan
    Casual, family atmosphere
    Patrick Byrnes

Cons

Mid-managers need to lead their teams.
    Business teams should not dictate the technology behind the machine. As Patrick says, he hires smart, skilled people for a reason.
    Deciding to trash your CRM to build an in house solution before 4th quarter is a mistake that will cost Overstock loyal customers.

Advice to Management

Good to see that Patrick is back and 100%. He had to make some hard calls with his management team. Overstock still needs to take a look at the SOFS management team who, like Stormy, led by fear and intimidation for years. The irony is that the project was a huge failure, largely to the inept management team. From the VP nepotism and team trips abroad to micromanagement where team member’s documents were 'graded' to managers who show up when it suits them, leaving teams unable to move forward while they wait. It’s a good time to clean house.

"As fun as work can be!"

Pros

Good benefits, good environment, work life balance

Cons

Disorganized at the moment, impulsive

Advice to Management

You got this, guys.

"Great company to learn new technologies"

Pros

I worked as a software developer for 4 years. Definitively this is a good place to learn new technologies and to improve the skills that developers need in our industry.

Cons

In some projects you feel an unhealthy pressure from management, and if the project is not doing good for any business reason, you can start feeling like you are not happy anymore.

Advice to Management

Employees need to feel like the company really cares about them.

"I have a lot of fun here!"

Current Employee - Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

I'm a developer. I've worked for 3 companies in the past 3 years. Overstock is most certainly my favorite place so far. It's a fast paced environment with a lot of energy. I feel like the owner really does care about us as individuals. As a developer, there's ALWAYS something to do. There's always a project going on, and that's what interests me. The culture is a "laid back get your work done" culture. At least for my team anyway. That leads me to my next point. Your team is what determines your happiness here. That being said, my advice to those that read this would be: If you don't like your situation. Speak up. A little communication can go a long way.
    Benefits! Benefits are GREAT! I can't believe the people complaining about our benefits. If you don't think these are great, go take a look at a few other companies out there. You really don't know how good you have it here until you go somewhere else. Believe me, I've been with 3 different companies and these are the best. Could they be better? Of course. But they could definitely be worse. A lot worse. 6% 401k matching is unheard of. Thank you for the generous benefits even though people are still complaining about them.

Cons

Sometimes too fast paced. People will drop hits that "We're losing a bunch of money every day we don't have this feature." and that can put a lo of pressure on you as a developer. If you give a completion date, you'd better have that completed! So just be careful to pad plenty of time for your projects. Being a retail site... Overstock isn't a tech company. So using the latest and greatest is not going to be an option in a lot of cases.

Advice to Management

Build something new. Become a tech company and not JUST a retail company that follows the "trend". Stop asking "Well what does [insert online competitor here] do?" and start saying, "Okay you have 2 hours a day to make this better, or solve this problem, go!"
    Shake up the industry with some new ideas. Don't throw a hackathon that forces people to suppress their good ideas until they have a chance at winning some money. Do what a lot of the big tech companies do and allow time for innovation. Ford Engineers build concept cars as a way to test new theories and ideas. Some of those ideas are laughable, but some are game changers. The developers at Overstock need to have a playground to innovate, and build these "Concept Cars" so to speak. Then we need to show them off and turn some heads.