Overstock.com Reviews in Salt Lake City, UT | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Overstock.com CEO Patrick M. Byrne
Patrick M. Byrne

Pros
  • In my department I have excellent work/life balance (in 66 reviews)

• Great environment with great people (in 41 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place To Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment, the people are great. New Management and the new executive team is the best is has been.

Cons

Benefits /Pay could be more competitive

Advice to Management

Keep going on the right direction.

2. "Great Employer that Promotes Work / Life Balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

On site fitness center. On site child care. On site greenhouse. Remote work options. Excellent 401K matching. Modern and open office with a variety of work areas. Accessible and communicative executive leadership. Regular company events and activities. Multiple health care plan options. Tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Convoluted compensation bands. Non-competitive pay in some positions.

"Beware the Transparency and Random Layoffs"

Former Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Midvale, UT
    Former Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Midvale, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Facility, Pay is Fair, Benefits are Fair

Cons

There appeared to be these sort of secretive random layoffs every couple of years as some sort of unpublished management policy. If appeared if you were not in the right clique your odds of being laid off increased significantly. I saw a lot of good Directors on down get laid off for what appeared to be no specific reason other than not in with the right crowd. No real explanation was ever given to their subordinates other than they were not the right fit. It made you nervous once you started seeing random people were being laid off when it started happening.

Advice to Management

It appeared the way Bonuses were given was always changing. There was a perception that the company would be doing well but the bonuses didn't reflect that for most. The continued changing of the process didn't seem transparent. Cliques in IT have developed and to most people it appeared you needed to be in that Clique to get promoted or feel protected from what appeared to be random layoffs.

Overstock.com Response

May 5, 2017 – CEO

When we choose to part ways with a colleague we are not in the habit of telling other people, including subordinates, what drove our decision. In addition, I can assure you that the layoffs are ... More

"Hard Work Gets Rewarded"

Current Employee - People Care Organization in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - People Care Organization in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- In my department if you work hard you are acknowledged, rewarded, and feel valued
    - Amazing building with great amenities
    - Onsite Daycare (its great that your kids are so close and they have apps for you to keep tabs on your kids while you work)
    - Onsite Health Care, with a fantastic doctor and support staff
    - In my department I have excellent work/life balance
    - Great interactions with executives, they'll talk with you, shoot the breeze with you, and help facilitate and implement your ideas
    - Love the convenience of having a cafe onsite with plenty of options
    - You get to work with awesome people. Diversity is welcome and appreciated.
    - The president of the company has taken time to have a conversation with me - non business related
    - Our leaders in our department genuinely care and go out of their way to make things better
    - With the exception of the first two years that I have worked here I have received pay increases directly tied to my work and merits, even though we have strayed from a formal annual review process
    - Our department takes care of the employees in the department sometimes making herculean efforts to do so
    - We have so many "boomerangs" which tells me the grass isn't greener someplace else. People always come back.
    - My department has a great Director, VP, and SVP
    - Whenever I need a change in my job, my boss does his very best to find things to keep me engaged, growing, and progressing
    - I am given challenging tasks that have great rewards
    - There are opportunities for formal and informal mentoring

Cons

- It took way too long to get rid of people who were not the right fit
    - You kept a VP (too long) who was hell bent on changing the Overstock culture, stopped measuring key performance indicators, and minimized the value of our CEO and Founder
    - Because of this you lost a lot of trust in the Customer Care Organization
    - You scaled back in the executive management team yet you are currently overstaffed in Customer Care management
    - You've lost the wonderful culture that used to exist in Customer Care
    - The same VP you left in her position to long, pushed great tenured management into superfluous positions that doesn't add value to the company so she could move in her people. And because they were worried about losing their job some of them managed to alienate people who were only trying to help them out
    - Some senior management is afraid to call any shots because they don't want to be held accountable for the outcome or fired
    - This is uber petty - but I really hate the walk from the parking structure into the building.
    - This is also uber petty - I wish there was fruit punch in the fountain drinks and not the gaterade fruit punch, but like real HI-C Fruitpunch

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward... In the last 5 years I have seen so many great changes and promises fulfilled like building the new building, and bringing compensation above market (I feel like I am finally getting paid at the low end or my range)

Add fruit punch to the soda machine :)

Make decisions and do not be afraid of the outcome

Its great that we crowd source, but sometimes you need to make decisions with out involving everyone... It becomes too tedious and progress stops because you are waiting for a consensus.

Oh and it would be great to have the CEO respond to this post.

"Great culture!"

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic culture, decent compensation, flexible schedule

Cons

Monotonous work, difficult to advance at times

"Team Lead"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company culture and good communication within the company. Great direct report

Cons

More employee recognition within departments

Advice to Management

Keep going in the same direction.

"They're not sure what they want, and unwilling to listen."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- 401K match
    - Private Corporate Lagoon Day
    - Private Concert every year

Cons

They are "restructuring" the company and focusing only on Sr. Level, really experienced hires instead of promoting skilled employees from within the company. That's what a recruited told me after applying for an internal promotion, even though I was told that my skills were right in line with what they were looking for.

Nepotism is all over with creating new positions for family and friends at director level positions in the company. They don't seem to value the opinions of anyone who reports to them, but have a "my way or the highway" approach to things. Collaboration doesn't exist here, it's just do what management says and never question it or give an alternate opinion.

Advice to Management

- Listen to your employees, they have good ideas too.
    - Be more open in your communication. Really listen to suggestions, and then talk through options even if it results in nothing changing. Visibility into the "why" is better than a flat out "no."
    - Management should be about bettering those that you lead, not making yourself look good. Too many times the blame was shifted to me instead of the manager owning up to their fault.

Final note to all management: Decide if you want to act like a startup or if you want to be a mature, stable company. We flip-flopped between the two multiple times in my short tenure with the company.

Overstock.com Response

Apr 7, 2017 – Vice President

Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry that you weren't happy with your employment experience here. We're disappointed to hear that you feel you were wrongfully blamed for things, and that ... More

"Too many chiefs....,"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pros are becoming less and less each passing day.

Cons

There are too many chiefs in customer care and every single one if them seems to be going in a different direction. One day it's this way and the next day it's that way. It gets a little confusing. Work life balance is non existent. It's work and then when the company decides you can have a life you get one. In the meantime you lose out on time with friends and family. Your schedule can change at a moments notice. At one time there was the support of quality and training but that's now left up to the leads. The qa department sits in some back room, scores calls and then the leads coach. Same with training. They train the leads leads and then it's up to the leads to train us. I know in my team there are 19 people so the lead is hardly ever around. Of course we have wolves walking the floor and daily inspirational quotes *gag* the only way to get anywhere in customer care is by knowing someone. The CEO gets on here and claims plenty of people get promoted through customer care but only if they know some one or do some one

Advice to Management

Get a clear direction, stop hiring managers. Get rid if Washington, they are not the golden children. Figure out a better schedule for worklife balance. Close on the weekends. Plenty if call centers do just fine as M-F

"Anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good place to build a diverse skill set before you go to a real business.
    I keep hearing that the building itself is something that I should be giving gratitude to my selected deity on a nightly basis but like most things Overstock, they are basing the strength of amenities on two year old data and the silicon slopes have lapped us. Well, I'm comparing Overstock to real tech companies which isn't fair.

Cons

1. They don't write history books about second-rate internet retailers. What does that have to do with the price of tea in China you ask? Our humble servant realized that he was loosing the war to Amazon and needed to pivot...so enter the lawsuit. 10 years of mob bosses and Sith Lords and execs wearing wires yada yada yada. The company only existed as a vehicle for the lawsuit. So what now that the lawsuit ends and he still isn't the subject of a biography? Bitcoin! Block chain! Look here! I have a legacy beyond an outlet mall on the internet! So now Overstock only exists to further fund the vain glory of the CEO. It's tough to build long-term visions and strategies as Overstock will always be his redhead stepchild while he desperately tries to distance himself from the most accurate description of him; that of the bottom-feeder getting fat on the remains of expiring e-tailers. Dude, just publish your autobiography on Amazon like every other independent hack writer does nowadays.
    2. The "do as I say not as I do" mentally among much of Sr management. This is again driven from the CEO who laments the fact that his offices are empty at 6 or 7 at night as he sends the entire staff videos of his ski vacations taken during customer care's PTO blackout period. What was that line about sitting in the cart again? Or was it save paper clips or cutting the end of the ham? So many self-serving played out mantras so little time.

Advice to Management

I always find it funny when users direct their efforts in this section to trying to make the CEO see their side, as if the Chief Executive of a $2 billion company has the time or thin enough skin to battle each honest review....¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I guess he has more in common with the Trump than he lets on. But on the real, only use employment at Overstock as a spring board to a legit company and never say no to a request from the exec team, no matter how demeaning or outlandish.

"Management is questionable"

Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance. If you are on a good team it is a great place.

Cons

Too much nepotism.If you re related to someone in management you will have a great job waiting for you. Good people will be fired to make room for you. If you are a woman or white, forget it.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to employees. There will be no bonuses. You know it. Every year you come up with some new bonus structure to get employees to think they have a chance at a bonus. It never happens.
    DO NOT have relatives working together as you do. If a person in top management has a relative working at the same company its wrong. just wrong.
    Stop the layoffs disguised as firings. when they get severance it is a layoff and the employees are not fooled.
    Hire the right people in the first place.
    Oh, and get rid of the employees that do nothing. it is discouraging when you see people who work get let go and others that have no clue about anything kept and even praised.