Overstock.com "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Overstock.com Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Apr 26, 2019

2.8
Overstock.com Interim CEO Jonathan Johnson
Jonathan Johnson
Pros
  • "Benefits, home/work life balance, competitive compensation, leverages technology(in 80 reviews)

• "Such great people and I made so many lifelong friends there(in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management is the dumbest I have ever seen(in 68 reviews)

• "Some senior management is afraid to call any shots because they don't want to be held accountable for the outcome or fired(in 26 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Overall satisfied"

in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

They are very understanding of family issues for example, I have worked at the Big O for year now and have had a couple of Family Emergencies and my supervisors were always very supportive.

Cons

REQUIRED WEEKENDS FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE- You know Customer Service agents have a family too, and its nice that we can leave early on the day before the holiday, but if it falls before the weekend it would be nice to be given those days off, so we can have the long weekend like the supervisors do or UPPER MANAGEMENT to take a holiday vacation. If we have to come in to work the weekend to work and the holiday was a Friday or Thursday, it kind of ruins our Holiday Plans.

Advice to Management

Most supervisors are so awesome! no complaints except for one but at least I only see her once every blue moon.

Overstock.com2009-12-22

"Like being in high school all over again"

Former Employee - Videographer in Sandy, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

They had fun parties every now and then.

Cons

Hiring from within isn't always the best. Especially when they hire unqualified people to upper management which happened a lot. This lead to many inefficiencies in the workflow of projects. Also many times it felt like you have to be family or best friends with the VPs in order to get recognized or move up. They have had several times where they lay off a ton of people because they over-hire when they do well then when things start to look bad they fire a bunch of people.

Advice to Management

Hire management that is qualified. Don't hire random positions just to show you are hiring.

Overstock.com2019-04-27

"Depends on team"

Current Contractor - Software Development Engineer-II

I have been working at Overstock.com for less than a year

Pros

New technology and work is fast paced

Cons

Upper management is the dumbest I have ever seen

Overstock.com2019-02-01

"The higher up you get, the more of a joke this place is"

Current Employee - Marketing in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-The building is new -The building is unique -People ask, "Overstock... is that that round building in Midvale? " -Standing and sitting desks -Collaborative environment -Comfy furniture in the office -There are nice people to work with -The view can be great depending on where you are in the building -Subsidized daycare (starting at $860/month for a 6 week old, full time only) -on site gym for free -Subsidized on sight bon appetite cafe food

Cons

Favoritism is big here at Overstock. At first you think its all about performance and how well you do your job, but as you get to know people, become familiar with senior leadership, you start to understand that a lot of people are where they are, because who they are friends with (they hand out VP and Director titles like candy). There is a very tight knit group of senior leadership, they all started at Overstock about the same time and are all high up in the company even though you see them wandering around not doing anything (CMO is a very hardworking guy, the rest are "cool guys"). Senior leadership is a joke here. It's hard to get them all on the same page. No one wants to be the guy to have the final say as to what to do for sure. It's a lot of... well I can see both options, so and so what do you think? Senior leadership doesn't have a backbone. Also, they are terrible at planning. They have a "hire now because we need projects done and lay them off later" mentality. Overstock is trying to get acquired so they decide that because of the CEOs poor ability to plan and blow a whole bunch of spend and how that will affect the company, they decide that layoffs need to happen to make it look like they are a smooth, trimmed, operating machine, then try to cover up the layoff reasoning with problems with SEO and Google. I look around the office and see and hear people that got laid off because of "performance issues" but yet I see people still there, higher management, that all they do is wander around the office and chat to people. Good luck challenging the status quo too. You start to even question and challenge upper management, they will either burn you or make your life very difficult. If you want to work for a company that promotes based on your friends, go for it. Overstock SAYS they promote work life balance, value the employee and the little guys, and care and cherish your hard work, but at the end of the day, there is a forever growing gap of upper management and the average worker. As long as Overstock makes money, senior management will continue to treat themselves well with great pay, but will make sure that the little guys and everyone else that made it possible to get where they are, stay well below them in responsibilities, compensation, and the friend circle. Also senior leadership is grossly overpaid. As I have developed friendships, people share what their compensation is (I personally know people in most of these roles, other roles the people I know have told me) Manager $75- $90k Senior Manger $85-130k Director $120-$170k Senior Director $160-200k VP $180-$250k SVP $230-300k CO $300+k

Advice to Management

- Get on the same page as your peers - Keep actual good talent and don't push away your employees who actually bring value - When you say trim the fat, trim the fat of people who don't do anything and nevermind that they are buddies with certain people - Actually do what you say that you value the little people and encourage work life balance - Get better management

Overstock.com2019-01-22

"Designer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midvale, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice Campus good benefits and perks

Cons

Nepotism from the upper management in every department

Overstock.com2018-09-26

"Not a happy place to work."

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Your coworkers at the same level as you tend to be very friendly and helpful.

Cons

Upper management is a joke, no communication and they tend to make open ended promises.

Advice to Management

Quit picking favorites, and give people who deserve the promotion a chance.

Overstock.com2018-08-06

"Incompetent Management/ Nepotism: Product Manager/ Software Engineer Avoid at All Cost"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are good but you can get similar benefits elsewhere. Building is good but what's the use if you are not happy inside.

Cons

Management has no strategy to grow business and this company is poorly run. They have been loosing money for last 4 quarters. Latest is that they are trying to be bought out by another company, which is better managed. Product Manager are reporting to engineering management, who have no idea about the product. They are there because management is just like a group of junkies, who get together over alcohol to discuss what should be the venue of their next drinking party. Specially IT executive goel brothers are there because they brown nose the CEO and president. They disrespect the employees in the meetings and use four letter words since they know they are safe as they are part of unofficial union. Little brother grew because big brother was an executive and favorite to CEO. Executives treat you just like resources. They will not help you switch careers/ grow, rather put hindrances if you want to do something you want to do to grow your career. They are not interested in helping you develop. If you somehow convince other team's manager for a different type of work, and manage to get what you want to do, then the executive, who initially opposed your move will take it on his ego, and will make life tough for you since most of the executives are drink buddies. They are least concerned about employees growth and coaching., specially the brothers. There were very good employees earlier in IT but many of then left because of brothers incompetence. Executives, specially on the IT side are busy playing ping pong because they have nothing better to do. In the first place they were promoted because they either have a blood brother in upper management/ or played ping pong/ drank with other executives. If you just keep your eyes and ears shut and pretend to not see all the nepotism around you, then you will have a job. Also, those in management who were promoted based on nepotism, prefers new employees over longer working employees, since the long working employees are aware of how those people were promoted. Those who raise their voices against the nepotism face hostile conditions, and either resign/ forced to resign/ quit. Management prefers new employees since they would not be aware of existing managements incompetence/ nepotism and would work happily for few years before they realize how incompetent management is, and find out how those who got in management actually got there. IT management prefers to hire employees on visa since they are indentured servant and join since they don't have many option now because of immigration policy. Mostly people end up joining because they have no other option.. If you have option to choose between different job then choose elsewhere. As a product manager and engineer, you will more likely to work on maintenance.

Advice to Management

Nothing. They are not listening. They will get their lessons one their is massive loss and they are forced to become better. Until that happens they are good with status quo. Only Patrick listens but due to Halo effect he is blind to incompetence of certain people in the management team.

Overstock.com2018-01-08

"This is a good employer!"

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Fun environment. New building. Tons of amenities. 401k plan is more generous than most. Cool events.

Cons

Frequent broken promises. e.g. Don't ever rely on getting a bonus. Upper management is always looking at the next big thing and leave other ideas partially implemented and broken.

Advice to Management

Live with the current technology, and instead of integrating everything with old software, redo the backbone systems completely separately. Then once its ready throw the switch and move over to it and leave all those outdated systems behind.

Overstock.com2017-10-06

"Confused"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com part-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing corporate culture and coworkers

Cons

Lack of strategy from upper management Too much them/you between departments Depending on your role, there is no real investment in employees looking to further career/education goals

Advice to Management

Invest in the talent you already have, even the entry-level employees Define what a good leader is, hire good leaders, and keep good leaders Continue to build your internship program

Overstock.com2017-09-28

"Lost what used to set them apart"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midvale, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazing people to work with, for the most part. I met some of my best friends here. CEO does try to consider the best interests for his employees, even if it is misinterpreted. Decent benefits. Family mentality (in the beginning).

Cons

Family mentality was lost somewhere down the line. Employees (especially CS) became just a number. From my perspective, there was a very poor work/life balance ratio. CS employees are expected to work mandatory OT at a moments notice, sometimes 10-15 hours per week. And good luck trying to even use your earned PTO. Perks/events that used to keep CS agent morale somewhat level slowly dwindled down. For a lot of people, it went from "I love my job" to "Eh. Its just another call center." Their "open door" policy to complaints is absolute BS. Yeah, you can voice a complaint, but don't expect anything to happen or change. At one point, I remember being told CS was warned to NOT voice any concerns- upper management was too busy to hear it. However, I did hear the person responsible for that "rule" was fired after I left, so it may be better. More cliquey than High School. If you didn't fit in with the right group, you were overlooked. Plain and simple. Pay wasn't that great or "competitive." I got an entry level CS job after I left making only 75 cents lower than my PROMOTED position at Overstock.

Advice to Management

Remember what used to make the company great. There used to be a standard of "happy employees make happy customers." We used to hold pride in our jobs. We loved going to work every day. You can move forward without removing all the things that made employee morale the highest of any call center. Overstock used to be unique. Now, they're no different than Discover or Teleperformance.

Overstock.com2017-07-14