Owens Corning Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Owens Corning Chairman and CEO Mike Thaman
Mike Thaman

Pros
  • Focus on work life balance is a huge plus (in 19 reviews)

• Great people in the organization from top to bottom and many of its employees have been with the company 10 (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance a challenge at times (in 15 reviews)

• The pay is below market value, and health care benefits can be a near joke (in 8 reviews)

1. "Great if you're in the 'in crowd'"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Toledo, OH

I worked at Owens Corning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice clean facility with lots of amenities (gym, cafeteria, convenience store, dry cleaning, credit union, and clinic).

Cons

This company is very political/cliquey. If you are in the clique, you will do well. Unfortunately, I was not in the "in crowd." Subsequently, I was given poor treatment by my managers and co-workers. Any good work that I did was overlooked/ignored while I was constantly reminded of every mistake that I ever made. My experience felt like high school all over again. I put up with the treatment because I was hoping to get moved out of customer service and into a better position in the near future.
    I was eventually terminated a couple of months later for "performance" issues. My termination took place conveniently around the time that the person that I replaced (a gentleman who was a part of the clique) called my manager asking for his old job back (I doubt that the timing of my termination was a coincidence).

Advice to Management

The company preaches diversity, but doesn't practice it.
    Don't judge a book by its cover (i.e., just because an employee doesn't have a conventional attractive appearance and doesn't suck up to management doesn't mean that he/she is automatically a poor performer).

"machine operator"

Former Employee - Production Machine Operator in Brentwood, NH
    Former Employee - Production Machine Operator in Brentwood, NH

I worked at Owens Corning (More than 8 years)

Pros

cant think of any since it was bought out

Cons

very unfair management alot of favorites and they take care who they choose no matter how hard you work

Advice to Management

very poor just stay away and dont waist your time

"Nepotism Owens Corning (OEM Business) Louisville"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at Owens Corning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing to note - worst professional experience ever.

Cons

Present and blame culture; poor executive leadership; nepotism at GM level - OEM Louisville- protective and coercive; BEWARE especially in Louisville.

Advice to Management

Clean it up; objectively review your nepotism policy - it may be impacting your business and retention.

5. "Being a Dry End Operator"

Former Employee - Dry End Operator in Aiken, SC
    Former Employee - Dry End Operator in Aiken, SC

I worked at Owens Corning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay. Benefits. Overtime. Fifteen minute breaks every two hours.

Cons

Everything else is horrid. Coworkers. Supervisors. Working conditions are the worst. Say hello to cancer after a few years of breathing in glass.

Advice to Management

Look over and redo HR. HR does not represent the people on the floor whatsoever and has no idea what he is doing when it comes to handling floor situations with employees. Give more time to enjoy employees on the floor are comfortable and implement some better airflow/ac throughout the factory especially for the employees working close to the ovens.

"Stay Away"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Decent wages, in town, large enterprise.

Cons

First and foremost - do not apply, run away as fast as you can. Working environment - hot asphalt and other materials with very high temperatures, dirt, fiberglass dust, sand, hot oil, antiquated production equipment, narrow minded people with bad attitudes.. Plant has no air conditioning so you will be sweating a lot They tell you to stay hydrated but are too cheap to provide bottled water Training for new employees does not exist, good luck becoming friends with many backstabbing employees who will rant to the bosses how bad you are regardless how hard you try.

Advice to Management

Get your act together, sad to hear you were @ the bottom of the barrel when it came to ranking of all of the OC plants performance

"Manufacturing Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, NC

Pros

Benefits equal to median. No loss of duties, new ones added every day.
    You never have to get comfortable with the job.

Cons

No place for home life. Treat employees as readily expendable and replaceable.
    Encourage employees to fight amongst themselves in order to stay in the management's favor.
    Have a flavor of the week, sometimes of the day.

Advice to Management

Overturn the management. Can't improve with big talkers. Management needs to work from a premise of substance.

"Stay away"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Owens Corning full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of great talent but underutilized

Cons

Not an employee oriented company. Hire you for your talent and experiences but need a consultant from outside company to tell them what to do. Big on employee wellness programs but cutting other benefits.

Advice to Management

Empower your workforce.

"Mid managers reneged on training"

Former Employee - Electrical Controls Tech in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Electrical Controls Tech in Memphis, TN

I worked at Owens Corning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers were good to work with, no problems. Pay & benefits are good for area. Good product.

Cons

Reneged on training OC agreed to provide at time of interview. Also OC corp required safety training was skipped yet was expected perform before Arch/Flash trained. To-do lists were waiting for parts to be purchased. Reprogrammed final palletizer to reduce downtime and significant increase in plant output was rewarded w/ termination without any credit days before probationary period was over and full benefits were due. Later discovered previous tech likewise terminated.

Advice to Management

If OC corp. electrical stds. exist, they were not found.Drawings are poorly maintained and was reprimanded for attempting to bring this plant up to date, as a waste of time. Intrenched "old school" maint. mgmt. is nepotist; mostly friends or family. No regular system backups, as might be expected. There is no headroom for controls and found overloaded and overheated conditions. Had to purchase electrical components on my own in order to procure basic resistors. Funding for controls, or even hand tools must be begged from MEs while EL controls needs are chronically ignored. Expect downtime will increase as capital investment in new lines will suffer downtime operating above max temps.

"Not a very good experience"

Current Employee - Finance in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Finance in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Owens Corning full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice building, nice view of the river, land well-maintained

Cons

* Self-Ego is too high in this place.
    * I agree with some of the postings once you work there "if you state your opinion be prepared to look in your rear-view mirror" because back stabbing is a winner in this place.
    * Not a welcoming place for minority or people with different background; they say "we encourage minority and diversity" but sayings and company policy is one thing, and actions are something else.
    * Be prepared for no promotions or salary increases for several years unless you know someone.

"STAY AWAY! GOOD PRODUCT; BAD EMPLOYER"

Current Employee - Sales in Paterson, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales in Paterson, NJ

Pros

The only thing good about working at Owens Corning is that because they are a reputable company the name is attractive to future employers. As a sales team member we receive extensive training on the Owens Corning sales process (a FLAWED process, but see Cons). Some of those disciplines do carry over well and are an attention-getter on your sales resume.

Cons

I don't know where to start in terms of the Cons...

The sales process is so flawed it's a wonder they are a billion dollar company. First, their marketing department, those people responsible for generating leads, are incentivized. This results in them signing up any lead, qualified or not. Clients have reported back to me that they felt bullied to take the appointment and they are not prepared to buy.

You get NO information about your lead before-hand and are not allowed to follow-up with your lead afterward. Even if you build a nice repoire with your lead, Owens Corning ONLY BELIEVES IN A FIRST TIME CLOSE. If you don't close on the first appointment they believe the problem is with YOU (not the 5-figure product you are attempting to sell). RIDICULOUS! Most consumers need to think about making such an investment and they are likely wanting to weigh the pros and cons between going with a unique more advanced basement refinishing system as opposed to the cheaper, standard building materials, alternative.

So....

- You've spent HOURS traveling to lead and presenting the product (~4 hours + commute)
    - You've spent your own money on gas and wear and tear on car (no gas allowance, no car)
    - No base salary or benefits, so you're going in with the knowledge this could be a $0 day

After leaving an appointment, if you do not close the sale, the marketing department will call and entice into a 2nd visit. THEY WILL NOT SEND YOU. They will send a different sales associate because, again, they believe the problem is with you, not that the consumer just wasn't ready.

It is on these rehash appointments that leads report most often feeling bullied.

To make matters worse, leadership/management is terrible. They should truly be ashamed of themselves. There are grey areas when it comes to the commission structure. Sometimes managers will determine what percentage of the commission you "deserve." It's arbitrary! With NO other compensation (base salary), even when you do make a sale, there is no guarantee you are getting the commission due you.

While we're on the topic of being sold a bill of goods at the interview...

- Was told average closing ratio 30%.... NO WAY!
    - Was told would only be traveling within 45 minute radius of home office... I've traveled as far as 100 minutes.
    - Was told average of 6 leads per week. A week could go by with ZERO leads. Management claims slow week.

THESE STATEMENTS ARE BACKED BY THEIR EXTREME RATE OF TURNOVER.

I TRAINED WITH 10 OTHERS. 9 HAD LEFT BEFORE I MADE MY FIRST SALE.

All of my attempts to remain with Owens Corning have failed because emails, calls, texts sent to management regarding my concerns were never answered/returned/addressed.

Advice to Management

First and foremost... tell the truth. You don't care about turnover because you don't pay your sales people, but what about all the wasted time spent training them when they just leave because you have have misrepresented the job?!?!

Care about your sales people... Remember job satisfaction correlates directly with productivity.

Do not incentivize your marketing team. Pay them the salary they deserve. Or, incentivize based on leads that convert to sales. Do something to INCREASE the qualification process.

Whatever numbers you are crunching that have given you the impression that lack of first time close is MY FAULT... throw them away. You are burdening the lead by sending someone new and making the lead repeat themselves.