Owens & Minor Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Owens & Minor President & CEO P. Cody Phipps
P. Cody Phipps

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Very good benefits if you take advantage of them (in 15 reviews)

• Decent pay, will definitely keep you busy all day (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours are sometimes the norm (in 17 reviews)

• There is not much room for advancement for a warehouse worker (in 6 reviews)

"A previously secure place to work. Lack of transparency left teammates feeling anything but secure."

Current Employee - Inventory Control in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Inventory Control in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Owens & Minor full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Prior to current events within the company, O&M had been a rather repetitive job where you knew what to expect. Job security was almost promised as long as you did your job. Yearly, and holiday bonuses were a big perk.

Cons

Management played favorites in a very obvious and unprofessional behavior. Punishing everyone for the mistakes of one person took a huge toll on team morale. Lack of support from leads and upper management left many feeling stuck and lost. Worst of all, lack of guidance kept many from reaching a higher level of success. If you were not favored, you were not assisted in being developed.

Advice to Management

Identity abusive leadership. Encourage leads to pay greater attention to your staff. Develop those who show interest in doing better, instead of only helping those you personally want to succeed.

2. "Analyst"

I worked at Owens & Minor full-time

Pros

Great employees to work with.

Cons

Too much change in leadership

3. "Account Receivable"

I worked at Owens & Minor full-time

Pros

The people on the team was great.

Cons

limited growth opportunities were limited.

"Was a great place to work"

Current Employee - Safety
    Current Employee - Safety

I have been working at Owens & Minor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Paid time off decent co-workers

Cons

New CEO screwed you the culture at Owens and Minor, many lay offs, crappy 2% raises many veteran works leaving

Advice to Management

GET Cody out of here before stocks drop even more

5. "Supervisor"

I have been working at Owens & Minor full-time

Pros

friendly people to work with

Cons

do not have any cons

"Anonymous"

Former Employee - N/A in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - N/A in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Overall good pay, great schedule and flexible hours as supply chain specialist. Great people who are always willing to help.

Cons

Poor communication within upper management. Lack of direction. Company seems unsure as to where it wants to be. Recent layoffs, no job security.

Advice to Management

Pick a direction and go. Your employees are your greatest asset. Work harder on keeping them instead of having surprise layoffs every three months. Everyone is on edge as no one knows what’s going to happen.

7. "Pretty good job if you don’t care to have a life outside of work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

I worked at Owens & Minor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some really great coworkers

Cons

OT every day
    People call off all the time or leave before their shift is over

"Anonymous"

I have been working at Owens & Minor full-time

Pros

Coworkers are great. Good health insurance, steady work.

Cons

Stressful, overworked, so many projects and initiatives to work on daily along with daily tasks, it's mind boggling. Work tons of late nights and weekends to keep up without a thank you or pay to commensurate even when running circles amongst by peers.

Advice to Management

Give back to the little people. Stop handing out bonuses to everyone at the top (managers and above). Give back extra to the people that actually run your company. The amount of bonuses you dispense is sickening and undeserving of those receiving them. "Lets pay McKinsey millions of dollars for RBT and then give everyone at the top disgusting amount of bonuses" it's just wrong while portraying how broke the company is to anyone that asks for a raise as piddly as $5,000. "No we can't do that but we can give people af the top $50,000 bonuses for nothing". Culture is completely dead. It used to be a fascinating culture that really cared about everyone. Now they only care about their stock which has plummeted.

"Supply Chain Specialist"

Former Employee - Supply Chain Specialist in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Specialist in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Owens & Minor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. This was a great position to get supply chain exposure and the freedom to make medical product recommendations in various departments in direct patient care areas such as OBGYN, ED, surgery, and radiology at multiple hospitals in a local healthcare system.
    2. I was able to go 'above and beyond' this role to gain a better understanding of our healthcare system in multiple divisions which is what I was going to school for at the time (healthcare administration).
    3. I was able to speak with caregivers such as physicians, nurses, MAs, and department management to understand all stakeholders’ needs which helped me to effectively optimize SKU turnover and ultimately, reduce costly overhead for medical equipment (specifically, endo-mechanicals and sutures).
    4. This position introduced me to supply chain and helped form my career today, but I would have left sooner if I would have known the program wasn't getting the right attention to sustain the partnership by management.
    5. Early / flexible hours (i.e. at the first hospital of the day by 6-7am to submit all orders by 1pm). At the time I drove my own car and they reimbursed, now, I believe the company provides a car for this role if the employee drives far enough.
    6. No office / corporate environment for those who wish to work in a direct healthcare / medical environment.

Cons

1. Travel (lots of daily driving). Although I enjoyed the freedom and the travel to all the designated hospitals for the first year was fun and kept my days interesting, management changed the hospitals and my drives ones a week were +6 six hours.
    2. I realized too late that my position wasn't going to advance in my career, it was more a position for someone who only wants to do what they are told and not want to optimize the set ways of the "PANDAC program".
    3. (Non-involved management). My concerns with the health system's feedback with our program / improvements I recommended weren't taken seriously by management which ultimately led to the health system terminating this program's contract. I believe the PANDAC program could have been much better if the region's management was more involved in direct frontline feedback.
    4. No personal / professional job / leadership development - although O&M pays X amount for education, they didn't offer the best training / tools for me to be the best at my job. For example, the ordering system we used to build reports was outdated and my training consisted of weekly personal calls with our national IT team to help me build reporting models on my own.
    5. Lastly, there was a huge disconnect between this job's duties and the ethics we could have improved for the entire department's supply chain by truly understanding, analyzing, and recommending opportunities to improve the specific brand, quantity, and location of all products we were responsible for ordering. It felt more of a "get the job done" - "clock in clock out" type of role which didn't fit with what I want in my career or my company.

Advice to Management

My concerns with our customer's (the health system's) feedback with our program and personal improvements I recommended with business plan proposals didn't feel like they were taken seriously by regional management which I believe, ultimately led to the health system terminating this program's contract. I believe the PANDAC program could have been much better if the region's management was more involved in direct frontline feedback and ensuring that we are tailoring the program to the customer's needs. I also wish management would have tried to coach / develop me into a long-term O&M employee since I was studying healthcare administration during my employment.

Additionally - better training would save money and stress for this role. It's not a 'hard' job per say, but if training had been executed sooner, better, and with an actual training plan within the first month, I don't think new hire turnover would be so high (at the time of my employment we had two "PANDAC counters" quit).

"Wouldn't recommend it (to anyone)!"

Former Employee - Order Picker in New Brighton, MN
    Former Employee - Order Picker in New Brighton, MN

I worked at Owens & Minor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Its fairly easy job, like any other pick pack job.

Cons

Only get two 15min breaks for 10+ hours of work. They didn't have air conditioning, so extremely hot. Couldn't give me set schedule since the one I'm at can't keep people. Didn't know if you were on overtime until an hour before you would normally leave.