Owens & Minor Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Owens & Minor President & CEO P. Cody Phipps
P. Cody Phipps

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Decent Pay, coworkers, buy lunch on occasion, PTO (in 14 reviews)

• Very good benefits if you take advantage of them (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes you work some pretty long hours (in 17 reviews)

• There is not much room for advancement for a warehouse worker (in 6 reviews)

"Shipping Coordinator (JIT)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Breinigsville, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Breinigsville, PA

I worked at Owens & Minor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay that is based off experience. Positive work environment. Good benefits.

Cons

VERY unorganized. Jennifer headset is outdated and creates slow down during direct pick process. Layout of warehouse/pick paths make very little sense. Understaffed due to quick turn over of employees. Generally do not receive schedule including two consecutive days off.

Some, not all, JIT teammates are mandated to come in earlier then others. This would not be an issue if they were also required to leave after working 8-9 hours. Instead some teammates are required to come in at 9am till work is done, 10am till work is done, or finally 11am till work is done.

Additionally, teammates are required to work either the dock or clean an aisle once all work has been selected. This can mean that you start at 9 or 10am, finish your direct function anywhere from 6-8:30 (one to three hours passed eight hour shift) then be required to stay anywhere from 45min to an hour and a half extra to help others finish. They then love to complain about the OT.

Advice to Management

Attempt to correctly staff for the projected work load. Address the inconsistancies with the pick paths. Update the Jennifer headsets. Keep heavy and large cases stocked in lower levels as to reduce safety risks.

2. "Supply Chain Specialist"

Former Employee - Supply Chain Specialist in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Specialist in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Owens & Minor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. This was a great position to get supply chain exposure and the freedom to make medical product recommendations in various departments in direct patient care areas such as OBGYN, ED, surgery, and radiology at multiple hospitals in a local healthcare system.
    2. I was able to go 'above and beyond' this role to gain a better understanding of our healthcare system in multiple divisions which is what I was going to school for at the time (healthcare administration).
    3. I was able to speak with caregivers such as physicians, nurses, MAs, and department management to understand all stakeholders’ needs which helped me to effectively optimize SKU turnover and ultimately, reduce costly overhead for medical equipment (specifically, endo-mechanicals and sutures).
    4. This position introduced me to supply chain and helped form my career today, but I would have left sooner if I would have known the program wasn't getting the right attention to sustain the partnership by management.
    5. Early / flexible hours (i.e. at the first hospital of the day by 6-7am to submit all orders by 1pm). At the time I drove my own car and they reimbursed, now, I believe the company provides a car for this role if the employee drives far enough.
    6. No office / corporate environment for those who wish to work in a direct healthcare / medical environment.

Cons

1. Travel (lots of daily driving). Although I enjoyed the freedom and the travel to all the designated hospitals for the first year was fun and kept my days interesting, management changed the hospitals and my drives ones a week were +6 six hours.
    2. I realized too late that my position wasn't going to advance in my career, it was more a position for someone who only wants to do what they are told and not want to optimize the set ways of the "PANDAC program".
    3. (Non-involved management). My concerns with the health system's feedback with our program / improvements I recommended weren't taken seriously by management which ultimately led to the health system terminating this program's contract. I believe the PANDAC program could have been much better if the region's management was more involved in direct frontline feedback.
    4. No personal / professional job / leadership development - although O&M pays X amount for education, they didn't offer the best training / tools for me to be the best at my job. For example, the ordering system we used to build reports was outdated and my training consisted of weekly personal calls with our national IT team to help me build reporting models on my own.
    5. Lastly, there was a huge disconnect between this job's duties and the ethics we could have improved for the entire department's supply chain by truly understanding, analyzing, and recommending opportunities to improve the specific brand, quantity, and location of all products we were responsible for ordering. It felt more of a "get the job done" - "clock in clock out" type of role which didn't fit with what I want in my career or my company.

Advice to Management

My concerns with our customer's (the health system's) feedback with our program and personal improvements I recommended with business plan proposals didn't feel like they were taken seriously by regional management which I believe, ultimately led to the health system terminating this program's contract. I believe the PANDAC program could have been much better if the region's management was more involved in direct frontline feedback and ensuring that we are tailoring the program to the customer's needs. I also wish management would have tried to coach / develop me into a long-term O&M employee since I was studying healthcare administration during my employment.

Additionally - better training would save money and stress for this role. It's not a 'hard' job per say, but if training had been executed sooner, better, and with an actual training plan within the first month, I don't think new hire turnover would be so high (at the time of my employment we had two "PANDAC counters" quit).

3. "Wouldn't recommend it (to anyone)!"

Former Employee - Order Picker in New Brighton, MN
    Former Employee - Order Picker in New Brighton, MN

I worked at Owens & Minor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Its fairly easy job, like any other pick pack job.

Cons

Only get two 15min breaks for 10+ hours of work. They didn't have air conditioning, so extremely hot. Couldn't give me set schedule since the one I'm at can't keep people. Didn't know if you were on overtime until an hour before you would normally leave.

"Product Manager"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Owens & Minor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice people to work with

Cons

Lack of senior managerial direction

Advice to Management

Lay out the game plan

5. "Purchasing Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at Owens & Minor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Co-workers, good commute, decent benefits.

Cons

Poor training, poor communication from supervisors, low morale, horrible attendance "points" system

6. "Average large company feel with classic uncertainty"

I have been working at Owens & Minor full-time

Pros

Good teammates and solid benefits

Cons

Leadership in constant flux and general uncertainties of direction of company

7. "Warehouse coordinator"

I have been working at Owens & Minor full-time

Pros

Because you get a chance to travel and really get to see different things.

Cons

There is no room for advancement.

Advice to Management

As management you must take better care of their employees. There is no room for advancement.

8. "Warehouse Supervisor"

I worked at Owens & Minor full-time

Pros

Nothing really comes to mind

Cons

Just about everything from pay to employees to management.

"Great Place to work overall"

I have been working at Owens & Minor full-time

Pros

There are some great value set in place by senior management.

Everyone calls each other teammate which is great. The job is great is people who want to learn and grow. There's a nice cafeteria and lots of places for parking.

Pay is decent

Cons

The Manager (worst part of the job) micromanages A LOT and does not like people to disagree with her even if she is wrong. Manager will fire people for disagreeing with her.

The work environment is loud, noisy, disruptive and distracting. The people who work there a long time are very negative and always having fits and tantrums.

Lack of necessary communication between departments.

Advice to Management

There should be extensive formal training for managers before they are put in the position as a manager.

Managers should be more open to communication and listen to concerns and take harassment more seriously.

10. "Terrible management."

Former Employee - Warehouse Coordinator in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Warehouse Coordinator in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Owens & Minor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome co workers. Easy work.

Cons

The worst management I've ever seen. Didn't care if we worked from 1pm to 6 am. All they cared about was themselves.

Advice to Management

Get new management.