Owler Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2020

3.5
Owler CEO Tim Harsch (no image)
Tim Harsch
Pros
Cons
  • "No cons to be mentioned in specific(in 3 reviews)

• "Because we shifted our business model there's some catch up to do, but nothing unmanageable(in 2 reviews)

"Owler is on the cusp of something big!"

Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Owler full-time for less than a year

Pros

Over the last 6 years, Owler has experienced some ups and downs. Recently, the company shifted focus and there was a bit of a shakeup. We have new leadership, a new CEO, and a new business model and product that is right on the cusp of taking off like a bat out of hell!! The team is focused, energized and we have tons of support from our incredible board. On top of that we have a product that people really seem to want! There's finally a clear focus and direction on what needs to come next, and the team is fully aligned and pulling hard to make it happen. The vibe in the office is exciting and the team is awesome to work with! High EQs, high diversity and highly empathetic. We're hiring furiously and because we're still a small team everyone will have a chance to make a real impact.

Cons

A bit of technical debt, but that's pretty much every startup. Because we shifted our business model there's some catch up to do, but nothing unmanageable.

"broken promises, pass the blame, pivot is the name of the game!"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Owler full-time for more than a year

Pros

lunch once a week location has had great press

Cons

The quality if the information being generated is low and has lost value in the eyes of customers. The number of users is being greatly exaggerated and there are still issues around the email SPAM that is sent out every day (non-opted in). Now that the focus is on advertising we are still hitting the same walls around user growth. The off-shore team is responsible for 97% of the content and contribution is non-existent. Bloated equity table with unfair preferences (2x and 3x!) the common shareholder will never make a dime on this one.

"Focused and Energized!"

Current Employee - Manager of Customer Success

I have been working at Owler full-time for less than a year

Pros

Owler recently gained a new CEO, Sales Director, Manager of Customer Success, Head of Engineering & Development, and are actively hiring engineers and more! To say they are refocused, energized, and on an extraordinary path to success is an understatement. Our new CEO is bringing a fresh perspective and attitude of transparency and innovation to the company and shifting the focus back towards our users and customers. With new products on the horizon and a load of exciting innovations to come, there isn’t a single startup I would rather be at!

Cons

Innovation and development take time, and it can be difficult to wait for products to be created, but this is a minimal con!

Continue reading
  4. "Great learning curve and potential"

4.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Owler full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great tech stack. Wide variety of development projects and opportunities. Lots of autonomy. Great work life balance.

Cons

Being a start up. Lacks some structure and processes. The company is working on implementing them.

"Working at Owler"

5.0

I have been working at Owler full-time

Pros

The culture at Owler is special. We have a great team who are passionate about the product and vision. Right from the start one gets lots of individual ownership which is motivating. That coupled with full visibility into the business helps set people up for success. The culture at Owler has helped us 10x our business 2 years in a row which has been fun and a great learning experience!

Cons

The hours can be long, but for all the work we put it its rewarding to see the Owler community grow and millions benefit from our product!

6. "Great company, great business"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Owler full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great business model. Very interesting product. Work with a team of great talents. Company culture is transparent and very friendly. Enjoy the work very much so far.

Cons

Need to have late night calls with India team sometimes, but it's manageable.

Continue reading

"Fast growing company, with a great team where you're surrounded by smart people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Owler full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Owler has a strong mission to build the largest community of business professionals that all help each other by sharing their knowledge of their respective business world's. It is a highly transparent company, in that everyone knows how much money the company has and everything going on internally. Hard work is valued highly and rewarded. It has been an amazing growth opportunity for many in the company to move up quickly in their careers. Thanks to that focus on promoting quickly for results and hard work the team is incredibly smart and driven - there's nowhere else I'd rather work.

Cons

The fast pace of growth over the last year has provided a challenge to keep the culture in place as the company opened a new location and grown significantly. That said the team has stepped up and has been working hard to build that consistency again, even more strongly than before.

"I'd recommend working for Owler"

I have been working at Owler full-time for less than a year

Pros

Owler is a forward thinking and collaborative business environment. I enjoy how dynamic the product and work day can be. Something that continues to impress me about this company is the communication and transparency of the teams. Whether it is statewide, countrywide, or worldwide there is a sense of company culture throughout. I have not been here long but can already see the potential that Owler continues to provide for my professional development.

Cons

This is a start up - so a lot of hats to be worn at first. Many processes that aren't modeled yet. Lots of logistics to be worked out. But hey, I'm never bored.

"Owler is a fun and challenging work environment. It feels more like home than my apartment."

Current Employee - Director of Product Marketing in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Owler full-time for more than a year

Pros

Owler has the best work-life balance of any startup I've ever worked with. The team is extremely friendly and I feel like I'm learning something new everyday.

Cons

There are two offices. One is in Silicon Valley and the other is in India. It makes communication difficult sometimes, but after a few weeks it becomes a lot easier.

10. "Great in 2012 and 2013.. and really bad in 2017"

4.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Coimbatore

I worked at Owler full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. Startup culture 2. Good learning 3. No hierarchy

Cons

1. No Culture 2. No Respect for senior employees

Found 48 reviews