Oxfam Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Oxfam CEO Mark Goldring
Mark Goldring

Pros
  • It has a nice work environment and is a great starting job to gain some experience (in 21 reviews)

• Good ethical employer with excellent work life balance policies (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • senior management are not fit to run a pub let alone a huge charity (in 13 reviews)

• No clear way to leverage an internship to a full time position (in 5 reviews)

1. "Digital Media Strategist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Oxfam (Less than a year)

Pros

Enjoyable place to work. Mission is very motivating. Co-wrokers are friendly and senior management care about teams, inter communication and organizational decision processes.

Cons

Lots of meetings and many decisions are made by consensus which can take a long time and water down effectiveness of end product.

Advice to Management

Have less meetings. Study other organizations that are able to move through decisions more rapid and with less bureaucracy

2. "If you're in the right team, it's a dream job"

Current Employee - Canvasser in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Canvasser in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Oxfam full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Oxfam is a guilt-free organisation to represent. They do incredible work every day in places most non-profits would never touch. The base pay is solid and they are very understanding when it comes to sick/personal days. If you stay for 60 days the benefits are fantastic. Many people who work with you will be like-minded, caring individuals who want to make a difference which makes for a nice environment. Very easy to get to (DTLA) if you're near a metro.

Cons

Structurally, the canvassing system is organized through New Canvassing, and timely payment has been an issue. There also seems to be a numbers-based approach to employment which means a sometimes harsh view on canvassers who aren't performing. Bonuses are relatively low considering how difficult it can be to achieve the milestones they set.

Advice to Management

Have a more rigorous hiring process and bring in people who can connect with others in a meaningful way. If employees aren't performing, try to work more caringly with them to structure a plan so they can get back to their best.

3. "Great environment"

Former Intern - Change Leader in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Change Leader in Boston, MA

I worked at Oxfam as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

The office space is full of people who are passionate about justice and the company and brand really values the power of young people and grassroots activism.

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on management :)

5. "Senior Advisor"

Former Employee - Senior Advisor in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Advisor in Boston, MA

I worked at Oxfam (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people are brilliant, analytical, compassionate, and dedicated. The agency is thoughtful, strategic, bold, and well-intentioned. Few organizations do such high-quality work in such diverse areas, from field-level humanitarian response, to global policy expert advocacy, to popular campaigning. The culture is disciplined enough to create strategic plans and follow through on them, even if some risk or consequences.

Cons

There is tension between the high-level big picture planning vs. the on-the-ground work with specific communities, projects, and campaigns. The high-level focus on chasing the brightest ideas and trends leads to frequent change in strategic goals and plans, and a sense of continual flux for workers and their projects. Keeping up with internal structures and required processes is draining and distracting from getting work done.

Advice to Management

Remember to value on-the-ground work, and not just the quickest thinkers in planning sessions. Keep in mind that work happens at the rate of people and relationships, not at the rate of ideas and debates in planning sessions.

6. "Oxfam Review"

Current Employee - Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Oxfam full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic culture of people, smart and caring group. Great awareness of the importance of paying attention to gender inequality. Can get behind and respect the mission and so does everyone else in the company.

Cons

Relatively flat organization. Hard to grow, not a direct path for promotion. Pay is fair, but still not adequate for location.

Advice to Management

Not necessary to have a great divide. This is unfortunately where ageism comes into play. Someone 5 years into their career certainly does not have as much experience as someone 30 years into their career, but it doesn't mean the person with more experience can learn nothing from the person with less experience.

7. "Rewarding and time-consuming place to be a consultant"

Current Contractor - Research Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Contractor - Research Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Oxfam as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

If you care about a progressive and open approach to international development, Oxfam is a great place to contribute. As a consultant, I feel like I'm using my skills toward ends I believe in. It's also thought-provoking to translate research findings to language and formats that works for an advocacy organization.

Cons

Working in the non-profit sector often means working more than you're getting paid for, and the same is true for consultants at Oxfam. It's not bad, just a thing to know that there will be a lot of fine-tuning and responsiveness to internal dialogue that will require you as a consultant to keep refining the work, even if you're not getting paid for those hours.

Advice to Management

Honestly, I would hire more in-house capacity for research and analysis, so that it could be integrated into programming processes.

8. "Positive"

Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

Organization and staff focused on values and mission of the organization, high collegiality among staff, and over time steady leadership by the current executive team most of whom have been at Oxfam for many years. Good, solid, thoughtful leadership - one may not always agree with them, but there's no question they are good people. Competitive pay and benefits with peer NGOs.

Cons

Oxfam at global and US levels going through a restructure to better position for the future. As inevitable with many restructures, it can take a bit of time to settle into rhythms and the new structure.

Advice to Management

Not so much as advice to management, but clarification this review is for the Oxfam US (Oxfam America) branch. Hence, I'm not in position to provide an employee review the Oxfam Great Britain CEO who is listed here ). Oxfam is a confederation - Winnie Byanima is head of Oxfam International, Ray Offenheiser head of Oxfam US, and Mark Goldring head of Oxfam GB (and there are more affiliates in other countries with their own CEOs). This entry for Oxfam in Glass Door seems to merge all Oxfam entities so I see other US staff have commented on the "CEO" perhaps intending their reviews meant for the Oxfam America CEO, Ray Offenheiser (and not the CEO in Great Britain). I've noticed this issue with some other organizations in Glass Door, such as Greenpeace - it may be better to disaggregate these multi-national NGOs for a more clear understanding of employee reviews.

9. "Program Assistant"

Former Employee - Program Assistant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Program Assistant in Boston, MA

I worked at Oxfam full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers and clean environement

Cons

Unclear job description and duties

Advice to Management

None

10. "communication"

Former Employee - Communications in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Communications in New York, NY

Pros

very rewarding job - great colleagues - interesting projetcs

Cons

the internship was un paid

11. "Always a learning environment"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Oxfam as an intern

Pros

- Brown bags were great in that there was always something employees could learn about. The topics of interesting and motivating to me, as speakers always reminded me why I wanted to work for Oxfam in the first place

Cons

- There is some lag time between departments and integration can be very difficult when the organization is as big as Oxfam.

Advice to Management

Diversity is key. I have never enjoyed a company as much as I did Oxfam and it was mostly due to the intelligent and very diverse group of individuals around me.