Oxford University Press Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Oxford University Press CEO Nigel Portwood
Nigel Portwood

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Excellent work/life balance as well as great support from colleagues and management" (in 47 reviews)

• "Casual work environment; brand recognition; location; office design; flexible hours; work from home flexibility" (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay with high demand workflow" (in 36 reviews)

• "Senior management are now corporate bores who care about one thing and one thing only: keeping their jobs" (in 25 reviews)

1. "Great Company!"

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time

Pros

Fun atmosphere, attentive upper management, great coworkers

Cons

I have absolutely NO cons!

Nov 13, 2018 – OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thanks for sharing your feedback and we’re so pleased to hear that you have no cons about working at OUP! We’re always so proud of our amazing people and the brilliant environment and atmosphere they... More

2. "Great work environment, strong efforts to improve process"

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time

Pros

Great benefits
    Flexible work hours
    Excellent work reorganizing tasks to help improve efficiency
    Strong communication from managers

Cons

Need more lateral movement for employees
    Some communication can get lost in the mix since some of your colleagues are in the UK

Advice to Management

N/A - I have always felt that management would listen and communicate effectively.

Nov 13, 2018 – OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thank you so much for your feedback. We’re really pleased to see that you have benefited from some of our perks, such as our flexible work hours and benefits, and that you’d recommend OUP as a place... More

"Overworked, undervalued."

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

—Pleasant co-workers
    —Office location is fairly convenient
    —Coffee cart outside

Cons

—Huge workload, with few resources to help
    —Clunky, outdated computers, printers, and systems
    —Abysmal salary
    —Condescending and hostile upper management
    —No training; it’s “sink or swim”
    —Little chance for advancement

Advice to Management

Here’s an idea: pay people more.

"Could have been so much better!"

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great location and informal dress code

Cons

Lots and lots of talk with no action!
    I received one performance review in my three years and not due to a lack of constant follow up with my manager and their manager.
    There is always too much drama and anxiety for any real work to be done, which is unfortunate since most people are decent hardworking folks who are spending too much time on unnecessary repetitive work.
    Very poor technology support that just adds up to the poor employee experience.

Advice to Management

Please take care of your talent: pay them decent wages and take the exit interviews seriously.

"RUN. FAR. AWAY!"

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pays (slightly) better than unemployment.

Cons

Huge workload with poor pay. Upper management is condescending and hostile. Known sexual harrassers are allowed to keep their jobs. Positions kept open for several months while current employees are expected to pick up the slack.

Advice to Management

Hire more people and PAY THEM MORE. Stop being hostile to your employees. Get rid of creepy old white guys who try to prey on younger people.

"unlikely to ever improve"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One star because a lot of the younger people in entry level are cool, intelligent, and nice. There were a few office committees and events which provided a much needed opportunity for social decompression. Second star because the second manager I had was a vast improvement on the first, although I still didn't receive much help with moving up in the company, and the president of the NYC office is as earnest as he is charming (really though - he was the only mentor I did have).

Cons

There's absolutely no diversity, the managers are incompetent at best and downright abusive at worst (it was mostly worst). I was yelled at, gossipped about, left off of emails and meetings, not because I ever received a poor performance review (I didn't, rather all my reviews were glowing), but because the editors and upper management are egotistical, self-centered, bratty, and resistant to feedback. I spent many, many days crying or having panic attacks at or after work. The office is permeated by white feminism, cisheteronormativity, and a flagrant condescension that floats through the air in a WASPy mist of passive aggression. Naive post-college kids, armed with fancy publishing course certificates and Daddy's extra income, come in week after week being told that they will move up, that being good at their jobs will take them far, that if they don't want to take the job for peanut salaries, then some other rich white kid living in Chelsea will be right around the corner and one day become the next star editor of Nobody Reads These Books, published Spring 2032. In reality, no one is promoted, the pay is beyond laughable even if you do move up, and the amount of money you'll spend on therapy to feed your emptied soul negates it anyway. No, in reality you'll spend a few years being verbally abused by crusty Eurocentric editors, each more pseudo-liberal than the last, before you realize you DESERVE BETTER and get out fast as you can for a real job.

Advice to Management

Rather than spend a few weeks touting all the improvements you plan to make re: employee surveys, ACTUALLY MAKE THOSE IMPROVEMENTS. Promote people who are talented. PAY PEOPLE MORE. Hire people of color and from other marginalized communities (the company does not need more white women). Pay those people more.

Oct 30, 2018 – OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback, though it is disconcerting for us to read. Some of the issues you raise—especially regarding the diversity of our workforce—are ones we’re actively addressing and... More

"Last resort"

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time

Pros

Great work life/balance, friendly people, and really do care about "ethics"

Cons

Low pay, and if you're not in the UK side of things, forget having any say in things. They care maybe a little TOO much about ethics, and not enough about valuing employees, and rewarding/recognizing them. Very little chance for upward mobility.

Lousy vacation time, and managers are way too corporate. The company itself seems to be more about "ethics and doing the right thing" than ever thinking about actually investing in growing the company/making money.

The IT department is a JOKE. They outsourced things to India, and it takes forever to get anything actually accomplished. I have to restart outlook 5-6 times a day, and nobody can tell me why/how to fix it.

Advice to Management

Pay people more to attract talent. You're a non profit, I get it, but we're way underpaid, and undervalued.

Oct 11, 2018 – OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We’re glad to hear that you benefited from our people and our flexibility – and that you recognized our commitment to operating ethically. However we’re concerned about some of the challenges you... More

"Underpaid and undervalued"

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people at OUP are amazingly smart, talented, and professional. It's a great place and trusted name to have on your resume. I honestly enjoyed the work and my time there.

Cons

However, leaving was the best thing I ever did for my career. Please know you are underpaid and undervalued at OUP. I'm in the position to double my salary in a year since leaving OUP after being passed up for a promotion because someone whined their way to the top.

Advice to Management

Please value hard work instead of fearing losing people who complain all the time. Let them leave and keep people who work hard and prove themselves. Expose marketers to more analytics

Sep 18, 2018 – OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thank you for your review. We’re so pleased you enjoyed your time here, but it’s concerning to us that you felt you were underpaid and undervalued. We know that OUP is only as successful as it is... More

"A good place to start, but not to stay"

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time

Pros

Good managers
    Good benefits
    Good use of tools

Cons

Bad overall work structure
    Extremely high turnover
    Unable to make real change within the company
    Low pay with high demand workflow

Sep 18, 2018 – OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thanks for leaving us a review. We’re pleased to see your feedback on our managers, benefits and resources, but are concerned by some of the challenges you mention, such as our structure, being... More

"Value yourself and your time by staying away"

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time

Pros

Most colleagues are nice (at least superficially; there are at least a few genuine people), lunch n learns, bagel Fridays, random social events. Health insurance is okay, but a huge chunks comes from employees. From working here, I've learned what red flags to look out for in a toxic environment. Since leaving, my quality of life has improved greatly.

Cons

Pretty much everything else is terrible. I've literally gotten sick because of my time at OUP, so if you value your health, I'd recommend working at another company. There are serious organizational issues - at least on the books side of the business. Management is really bad, and strategy/direction changes quite often. This leads to those below to scramble to try to make sense of new processes, directions, etc - all without proper training and resources. Many people have no work/life balance, most systems are very outdated. I've also witnessed blatant racism and microaggressions at this job. HR has honestly been the worst experience of any company that I've ever worked for.

Advice to Management

READ the employee surveys! There are serious work load, manager, and system issues that need to be rectified.I honestly think there needs to be an audit on how ethical the various departments (especially HR) operate.

Sep 18, 2018 – OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We would like to know more about your time at OUP and how you feel it impacted your health, as well as the racist, aggressive, and unethical behavior that you claim to have witnessed. We act... More