Oxford University Press Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Oxford University Press CEO Nigel Portwood
Nigel Portwood

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Excellent work/life balance as well as great support from colleagues and management" (in 44 reviews)

• "Casual work environment; brand recognition; location; office design; flexible hours; work from home flexibility" (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay (compared to elsewhere in market), digital developments are slow, can be pressured at times" (in 33 reviews)

• "Not a very high paying business or industry and sometimes poor work life balance" (in 12 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, wonderful place to get experience first job out of college

Cons

Low salary compared to trade publishing companies

"Very High Turnover Rate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management does want to help you

Cons

There is no way they can

Jul 16, 2018 – OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thanks for your feedback. If you’d like to expand on it further to tell us what you think we’re doing well, and if you have any ideas of what we can be doing differently, then please do get in touch... More

"Level of dysfunction is unreal"

Current Employee - Editorial in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Editorial in New York, NY

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time

Pros

The prestige of the name. The camaraderie with other coworkers at your level (tends to happen when you’ve seen most of them in tears at least once).

Cons

Terrible pay, terrible morale, terrible technology, terrible workload. Blame is heaped upon lower-level employees as a way for management to carry on in the face of the disastrous demise they know deep-down is completely and totally deserved. “The name” can only take you so far.

Advice to Management

If you’re intent on continuing to fail the majority of your employees in one way or another, at least invest in a bigger rug to sweep all of the systemic problems and raging dysfunction under.

Aug 16, 2018 – OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We’re sorry to hear that you are having such a bad experience at OUP. It’s our aim to ensure that our people feel supported and rewarded for their work, and we would really like to understand more... More

4. "Global company with the power of a world renowned University"

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time

Pros

I have been able to work with many talented people in all parts of the world. The ability to have all the knowledge and experiences of all these people is certainly unique.

Cons

The tendency toward staying with old systems can be a hindrance at time.

Jul 16, 2018 – OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We’re really pleased to hear that you’d recommend working at OUP to others. We continue to be proud of our amazing people and the skills they bring to our organization. If you’d like to tell us any... More

"Aggressively Hostile"

Former Employee - News Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - News Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This name has been a big boost to my resumé since leaving my position

Cons

My boss told me that I was lucky to be making $50,000 in my 5th year as an editor. Let's remember that this is in NYC for a second. They then told me that I was on the high end of the pay scale. Also, there was a very odd Pro Trump stance during the 2016 election year.

Advice to Management

Pay better. Keep your political beliefs to yourself

Jul 30, 2018 – OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thanks for leaving a review. We’re surprised to see your comments about OUP as a hostile environment, and as somewhere which supports specific political leanings. This is not the sort of working... More

"Great people, good environment, communication needs improvement"

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time

Pros

Colleagues are for the most part wonderful, highly intelligent, and good collaborators. Books are interesting and inspiring. The company is a safe environment for women.

Cons

Low salaries (as is typical in publishing). Not much room for promotion in some departments unless an opening becomes available (if someone leaves).

Advice to Management

Upper management could do better at communicating with the lower-level staff and bringing in all stakeholders when making decisions.

Jun 19, 2018 – OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thanks for the review and recommendation. We completely agree about our wonderful colleagues and inspiring products! However, we’d be keen to hear more about some of the challenges you identified... More

"Questionable Direction"

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time

Pros

Coworkers are generally helpful and want to do a great job, despite outdated or subpar systems and poor direction by management.

Cons

It’s difficult to take managers seriously when they make bad decisions, have poor follow through, and change their minds every other week.

Advice to Management

Take a look at your directors or managers with poor performance, especially those who came from competitors and still haven’t updated their LinkedIn profiles!

Jul 23, 2018 – OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thank you for leaving a review, and we’re really sorry to hear that you aren’t enjoying your time at OUP. It’s good to see your positive feedback about your colleagues – something we see a lot on... More

"Good coworkers, but demoralizing."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I've been here a couple years now. Coworkers are generally friendly, helpful, and intelligent. I'd say the people here are the best part of this job. If you ever need help or have a question, there's no shortage of people willing to lend a hand. If it weren't for my coworkers and my current manager (who's great), I would have already quit a long, long, long time ago.
    - My manager is great and I can tell they are really looking out for me and my career development (when and where they can).
    - Brand recognition / reputation in academic publishing.

Cons

- I just happen to be lucky enough to have a great manager. I can't say this is the case for most assistants I know here. From what I can tell in general, managers don't receive much training on how to mentor their assistants, and there is so little encouragement of career development across the board that it's frankly demoralizing. There are new initiatives to work on that, but they just seem like half-hearted gestures.
    - Having said that, if you're looking for opportunities to grow, look elsewhere. Positions only open up when someone leaves (which doesn't happen often in the higher positions), and because there's a high turnover in the lower ranks, assistants are usually treated as expendable. It is very demoralizing.
    - Embarrassingly low compensation for an insane workload. The general consensus is that we're all on fire every day, from a mixture of ever-present deadlines, pressure from higher ups to perform, and an inundation of administrative "grunt" work. What we get in return is a paltry salary that's not livable in a city as expensive as New York.
    - The work would be easier to accomplish if the systems and tools we used weren't so outdated and clunky. Any task that requires the use of technology will take you forever to accomplish.
    - Lack of diversity. Who can afford to work here except people from privileged backgrounds? OUP's attempts to encourage diversity are, like their career development initiatives, half-hearted and misguided. Pay employees higher salaries, and maybe the disenfranchised populations who come from traditionally lower-income backgrounds would be able to work here. Hire high school grads, or people with diverse work experiences, not just Princeton grads. Publish more books from diverse authors, and refuse to publish books from people like Robin Hanson (the infamous "sex redistribution" professor, who has authored two OUP books).
    - The more I write, the more I question why I'm still working here. This company's future is bleak. with the way they continue to run things.

Advice to Management

Pay higher salaries and start seriously listening to the concerns of the lower level employees. Increase transparency in upper management.

Jun 29, 2018 – OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

It’s good to hear about your positive experiences of your co-workers and your manager, but we’d like to focus on some of the specific concerns you raise around job opportunities and the diversity of... More

"Assistant Commissioning Editor"

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time

Pros

Great place to work, wonderful co-workers, interesting, varied roles

Cons

hard work for little reward, little opportunity for promotion

Jun 18, 2018 – OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review, and it’s great to hear that you liked working here! If you’d like to tell us more about any of the points you have raised, get in touch via... More

"Proceed with caution"

Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My co-workers at OUP were the best part of the job. The vast majority of my colleagues were thoughtful, talented, kind, and overqualified for their jobs. I was constantly impressed with the side projects my colleagues maintained outside of the office.

Cons

The work is overwhelming and unfulfilling. There's pressure to publish more and more each year with little consideration for the time and work that goes into meeting those goals. Outdated technology makes it even more difficult to meet publishing goals. There's little-to-no focus on career development. Entry level employees are treated as disposable, and mid-level employees are undervalued. OUP is an impressive employer to have on my resume but I left with few concrete skills to help me get the kinds of jobs I want. The pay is abysmal, yet upper management consistently fails to see any connection between inadequate salaries and the depressing lack of diversity. I wish I'd left earlier.

May 25, 2018 – OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on what it’s like to work at OUP. We’re always really proud of our people, and hear a lot of wonderful feedback about them. However, it’s concerning to see some of... More