Oxford University Press Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Oxford University Press CEO Nigel Portwood
Nigel Portwood

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent work/life balance as well as great support from colleagues and management (in 41 reviews)

• Casual work environment; brand recognition; location; office design; flexible hours; work from home flexibility (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay and need better infrastructure (in 28 reviews)

• Politics aside, as in most large organisations, senior management is most aptly described as (in 21 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, wonderful place to get experience first job out of college

Cons

Low salary compared to trade publishing companies

"Assistant Marketing Manager"

I worked at Oxford University Press (More than a year)

Pros

-Strong name in the business
    -Reasonably better benefits

Cons

-Micromanagement
    -No employee autonomy
    -No career development

"Don't stay too long"

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart coworkers, summer Fridays, you're not expected to take work home

Cons

Systems are outdated and workflows are convoluted, workload is overwhelming, high turnover among lower-level employees, little-to-no career development

"Compliance"

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time

Pros

Benefits and compensation are fair

Cons

It's very top down and execs are untouchable.

Advice to Management

I hear that things are changing but do as I say not as I do should not be the mentality.

"Very frustrating company to work for."

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time

Pros

If you're in an author-facing role (editorial, marketing, publicity), you'll work with some of the most brilliant people in their respective fields.

Many of the people who work here are truly wonderful, some of the best I've ever worked with.

Cons

There are no words to describe how busy, chaotic, and dysfunctional this company is. This isn't so bad (........?) when you're working internally with colleagues who know first-hand how frustrating it is, but it's another thing altogether when you're working in an author-facing role where authors have no idea how deep the levels of dysfunction goes behind the scenes.

Author relationships are the bread-and-butter of this company, and when you saddle your employees with absolutely monstrous workloads (how can anyone possibly think that working on nearly a hundred projects at any one given time in various stages of development is a good idea?), it becomes incredibly difficult to build, nurture, and maintain those relationships. For someone who cares about these relationships and the quality of their own work, this is a bitter pill to swallow.

Weeding through the massive workload and dysfunction on a daily basis is exhausting. When you're pummeled with this massive workload of dozens of different projects every single day, your mental capacities are zapped by the end of the week.

Advice to Management

None of what I have said or what anyone else has said here should come as a surprise to you. It's my only hope that you choose to actually listen, and ask some unpleasant questions of yourself and the role of this company in the publishing industry.

"Abysmal..Glad I got out."

Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great name for your resume , free mediocre bagels on fridays, you can leave by 5.

Cons

Starting salary was non-negotiable and so low that it was very hard to live in NYC. Antiquated systems, low morale, and editors with big egos made for poor working conditions. Little room for upward mobility. Very glad to have left quickly.

7. "Copywriter"

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time

Pros

Stimulating atmosphere, great people, great books

Cons

Can sometimes be political for no good reason.

Advice to Management

Remember the mission of OUP.

"AVOID AT ALL COSTS."

Current Employee - Editorial Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Editorial Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free bagels on Friday. Health insurance. Generally good people. Some folks can be catty and judgmental.

Cons

I'm not even sure where to start. What a nightmare-place. I dread waking up in the morning because it means I have to commute to this terrible, awful place. Dysfunctional, toxic work environment. No communication between departments or IN departments (good luck being respected by your editor). There is no one single way to do things, which makes the job confusing. You work on several projects at once at varying stages of development. The workload is pure insanity, but good luck expecting any sympathy from your editor--you won't get it. I could go on and on, every day I discover something new that pushes me closer and closer to quitting. I can't imagine how people force themselves to work here longer than a year. Abysmal.

Advice to Management

Editors should be REQUIRED to attend all the same trainings their assistants do. It is, as far as I'm concerned, unacceptable that editors at OUP have the barest minimum knowledge of how ABC or STAR works, and it is deplorable that you force assistants to become experts at technology that became out of date decades ago. Editorial assistants ARE NOT SECRETARIES. There is no reason for assistants to be demeaned, spoken down to, or treated unfairly, which happens on a near constant basis. The sheer amount of time wasted trying to make sense of this dysfunctional work environment is costing OUP more money than updating its outdated systems would be. Editors literally cannot do their job without assistants. This company would fall to pieces without the assistants. And yet management continues to disrespect and demean us. We all went to college and earned a degree, don't talk to me like I didn't. This issue runs deep and, sorry Niko, it's not something drinks every three months can fix.

"Overworked, homogeneous, and wildly underpaid"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent health insurance. Convenient location.

Cons

Extremely white, upper class workplace paying only lip-service to diversity. You can't afford to work here if your family isn't bankrolling you, so you better be rich.

Overworked managers constantly pressuring overworked staff, so be prepared to take on several times more work than you can handle, with tech that went out of date decades ago. You'll be spread thin, and it will negatively impact every aspect of your working life.

And don't even think about getting promoted.

Advice to Management

Free supermarket bagels are not a benefit.

10. "Senior Editor"

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time

Pros

OUP is a venerable publishing house with an exceptional history, producing works of high scholarship for specialists and educated, non-specialist readers. Its brand and international reach can make it an exiciting place to work in.

Cons

A large international organization, OUP is best by bureaucratic entropy, at times lack of vision and transparency, and a low pay scale to vital support staff.

Advice to Management

Follow the essence of your mission and goals to the letter with the kind of transparency and reciprocity you sometimes lack.