KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Oxford University Press Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2021

Found 730 of over 871 reviews

3.3
Oxford University Press CEO Nigel Portwood (no image)
Nigel Portwood
Pros
  • "Good brand value, good work life balance(in 68 reviews)

• "OUP is a friendly, congenial working environment with excellent amenities and worker benefits(in 62 reviews)

• Cons
  • "This is by no means to say that OUP is perfect(in 71 reviews)

• "Poor communication, low pay, high turnover(in 50 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Oxford University Press and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years
      Featured Review

Wonderful experience.

Aug 28, 2020 - Design Department in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Wonderful people, excellent mission teaching the world English and giving back to the University.

Cons

Process heavy, could use a bit of streamlining to make things easier to navigate.

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thank you very much for the review. We’re really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time at OUP and would recommend it to others. We’d welcome the chance to hear more about your experience, and hope you’ll consider emailing us on glassdoor@oup.com.

2. 5.0
      Former Employee

A great place to work as an editor

Aug 19, 2020 - Development Editor in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work-life balance and supportive working environment with good opportunities for promotion. Decent salary and benefits.

Cons

Frequent restructuring causes instability in teams.

1 person found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

It’s great to hear your feedback. It’s important to us that our people are able to achieve a positive work-life balance, and that they feel recognized and rewarded for their work. If you would like to expand on your review further, please email glassdoor@oup.com.

3. 3.0

INTENSE

Jul 22, 2021 - Senior Production Editor
      Business Outlook

Pros

You'll work with some of the brightest minds in publishing.

Cons

Those bright minds will be broken under the whip and chain of OUP's nonprofit payscale/workload. You work intense days, things always need cleaning up, and at first it's exciting. Then you realize the intensity doesn't stop, it just increases, and if you want to get promoted you'll be doing the work of the job title you want while being paid garbage. OUP HR will drag out pay reviews and promotions as if there is absolutely no money in the world, how dare you ask for $4,000 more than we're offering you for this totally new job, we can't possibly do that and meanwhile you're juggling training your replacement, defining and doing new job, keeping up team morale with dark humor and occasional tea breaks and then noooo you can wait forever but the money is always dangling there, just out of reach.

4. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Not Going in a Good Direction

Jul 12, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

People are nice and smart, benefits are good

Cons

Company is heading in a bad direction. Layoffs have become the norm. Senior management gives dodgy answers to everything. I wouldn't recommend anyone join at this time.

3 people found this review helpful
    5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

DO NOT WORK HERE

Dec 4, 2020 - Production in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Firstly do not believe those positive reviews, they are 100% fake, this company a few months ago when filtered by NY was BELOW 2 stars and now suddenly there are all these positive reviews! Please scroll through all the reviews to get the real picture. There is no one currently employed in this organization outside of the UK with a positive outlook. The only positive is benefits, not salary. There is no other Pro to joining this organization.

Cons

Since April of 2020 they have either laid-off or terminated dozens or possibly close to 100 employees. Some employees close to retirement, so for them finding a new job at this age is almost impossible. There have even been entire departments terminated. Now there are almost 2 dozen employees either terminated or jobs outsourced to a company in India named Newgen. If offered a job here vs taking unemployment I would take unemployment; a number of people have been laid off and have not even had 1 year which disqualified them for unemployment benefits. This is corporate crime beyond comprehension.

16 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

I am saddened to read your review, and assure you that we value each and every employee at OUP. We never take any decisions around redundancies lightly but, like all businesses, from time to time, we need to make changes to our organization. We have sought to provide as much support as we can during these difficult times. If you would like to share your concerns and speak to me directly, I encourage you to email me at ola.ogunsanya@oup.com. Best, Ola Ogunsanya, Regional Head of HR for the Americas

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Tons of (Most Interesting) Work with (Mostly Interesting) People

Jan 7, 2021 - Editorial Assistant in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

You get to work on books, which is amazing! Most of my job centers around helping authors and working with other staff in-house (marketing, design, production), so you get to see every part of the book making process. I feel like I'm learning a lot. The other EAs are great and it's a good community. Everyone is very in it together. No worries about vacation time and they raised salaries (still kinda low TBH) during the pandemic.

Cons

There've been some layoffs recently. The editors are a mixed bag. Some of the newer/younger ones are approachable for advice, while some of the problematic ones have been problematic for a while and everyone just kinda shrugs and says "oh yeah, that's just how x person is." It's frustrating. Salaries are average for publishing. Road to promotion seems pretty narrow. The tech is a real mixed bag.

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We’re really grateful that you have taken the time to leave such a detailed review. We’re pleased to hear you’re enjoying your time with us, and that you’ve been able to learn a lot on the job. We always appreciate the chance to understand more about what we’re doing well, and where we can improve further, so if you would like to tell us any more about your experiences of working at OUP, please do get in touch: glassdoor@oup.com.

7. 1.0

Boring and Mindless

Feb 23, 2021 - Editor in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some good people here and there. Looks good on a resume. Very little work. No stress.

Cons

I worked here for 3 years for some reason, got promoted twice, and literally did at most 2 hours of actual work per day. I would come in and read the news for an hour. Luckily I was in a back cubicle so I could mindlessly scroll through the internet all day. It was a joke. Yet when you asked anyone else in my department, they were all "stretched thin" or "extremely busy" all the time. I'm convinced that literally everyone was faking being busy, because I can't imagine getting coffee in the kitchen 3 times per day, sending emails, or entering data in a database to be stressful whatsoever. In retrospect, I honestly feel like I was overpaid. I also expressed interest to HR in relocating and working remotely, yet was told no because they expect people "to be in the office." They couldn't give a good reason as to why. So that made my decision to leave pretty easy.

4 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thanks for the feedback, although we regret to hear that you found your time with us boring and mindless. We’d like to understand more about your specific experiences and where you feel we can make things better for our people. You can reach us by emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

8. 3.0
      Current Employee

working at OUP

May 26, 2021 - Managing Editor in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

great people, with a true passion for education

Cons

a company that could benefit from more risk-taking

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, especially the comment around our people. The need to innovate and think differently has been rapidly accelerated in the face of the pandemic and we have lots of projects in the pipeline that will provide great opportunities for the future of education. We’re always keen to hear what more we can do to improve so if you’d like to share your thoughts, please email us at glassdoor@oup.com.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee

Review

Mar 12, 2021 - Customer Service Manager in Cary, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are supportive and understanding

Cons

Currently there are a lot of changes, but so many companies are changing, so it's not out of the ordinary.

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We are particularly grateful for your comment around our people – we’re really proud of the amazing people who work here. Like many companies, we are taking steps to respond during these uncertain times, to help sustain our business for many years to come and are really grateful to our employees for their ongoing support. If you have any further comments, please email us at glassdoor@oup.com.

10. 1.0

You Deserve Better

Sep 23, 2020 - Coordinator in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Looking back, it's really, really hard to identify any. I guess the vending machines were well stocked with healthy snacks?

Cons

The salary for Assistants and Coordinators is unlivable in NY unless you are being supported by family or are a trust fund kid. This perpetuates the lack of diversity in the company and the high rate of turnover and burn out from the "doers" in the organization. In 3 years since leaving OUP, I have more than DOUBLED my salary while still working in publishing. Do not drink the koolaid! That name on your resume is not worth living as the working poor while you struggle to choose between buying groceries and making your student loan payment. Get out of there and hitch your wagon to a brighter and more generous star. I used to fantasize about buying a pair of warm shoes in the winter... and I had 5+ years of teaching experience and an MBA when I joined the company. Nobody with the talent, education and commitment of the young people I met working at OUP should have to deal with that. You. Deserve. Better.

10 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

I would like to reassure you that we take the feedback we hear directly from our employees, as well as through channels such as Glassdoor, incredibly seriously. Since you left three years ago, we have increased the entry-level salary for those working in New York to $40,000, and currently have a significant project underway to support diversity and inclusion across OUP worldwide. That said, we always want to hear from employees – past and present – to find out more about their experiences so we can continue to identify opportunities for improvement. You can reach out to me directly, or email glassdoor@oup.com. Best, Ola Ogunsanya, Regional Head of HR for the Americas

Viewing 1 - 10 of 730 Reviews