Oxford University Press Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Oxford University Press CEO Nigel Portwood
Nigel Portwood

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent work/life balance as well as great support from colleagues and management (in 40 reviews)

• Great coworkers, great work environment (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay and need better infrastructure (in 26 reviews)

• Lack of direction from senior management, with a complete misunderstanding of what digital publishing means (in 20 reviews)

1. "Great people, low upward mobility"

Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best people, including my boss, that I could imagine working with. Everyone supports each other through everything. Plus, the job is quite flexible and hands off from management, so there's a lot of opportunity for setting your own schedule.

Cons

If you're coming into the company from a manager role or above, excellent, you have a voice and contribution to the overall goals of the company. Anything from Sales Rep or lower and you're stuck there. Plus, there aren't nearly enough people hired for the workload across the board.

2. "An organizational mess mostly full of passionate, kind people"

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time

Pros

Colleagues (particularly on the lower rungs) are quick to support each other, particularly when filling in training gaps and providing other essential knowledge. There's very much a sense of purpose and solidarity among people doing what they love for a much lower salary than they'd make in a less art- and humanities-oriented industry.

Cons

The software is a nightmare. There are literally (at last count) about 13, for which training barely exists and functionality depends on an overseas (ineffectual) IT department. Certain egos are allowed to run rampant to deleterious effect. HR's policies are almost purposely opaque.

Advice to Management

Prioritize your employees' livelihoods and pay entry-level employees enough that they don't have to be supported by their parents (that'll help fix diversity issues, for sure). Implement streamlined software/systems. Use the words you mean: when you say "we can't do ____," that's not the same as "we won't do ______."

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, wonderful place to get experience first job out of college

Cons

Low salary compared to trade publishing companies

4. "Good workplace, sometimes too quiet"

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time

Pros

OUP offers decent benefits, generally very friendly coworkers.

Cons

When a company gets very large, sometimes it's hard to get the answers that you need, things can be very bureaucratic.

Advice to Management

reach out to your little people regularly.

"Great place to gain experience"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Cary, NC

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved my experience at OUP. Good teamwork, good support from management, and the opportunity to move up. I enjoyed the work and felt good about the company I was supporting. Highly recommend, especially for people just starting their careers.

Cons

When I was there, I think most OUP employees would have agreed that the company does not offer competitive pay for the work and the area and so they struggled to retain people. But, I believe they were taking a hard look at this around the time I left, and the benefits package was very competitive. There was also a fair amount of travel, but to many that was a pro!

"Good people, okay pay, bad technology"

Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits package, wonderful people, fun office environment, stellar work/life balance

Cons

Terrible internal systems, out-of-date technology, awful IT service, very high turnover rate

Advice to Management

Upgrade everything!

"AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!!"

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some absolutely wonderful people met at the entry-level, supportive and caring of one another

Cons

Where to begin...
    -TOXIC Editor--completely self-absorbed and narcissistic , casting blame on assistants at the drop of a hat even when it was his mistake, pinning assistants to compete against each other, declared "winner" and would humiliate other assistant in group email chain-notorious in the industry for horrible business practices, yet tolerated for completely unexplained reasons
    -HR department couldn't care less about the well-being of the employees, only care about preserving toxic work practices that account for extremely high turnover (my editor went through 6 assistants in a year and a half, and was lauded for his "management skills")
    -Unwilling to take ideas from entry-level employees, even if it would increase the productivity of the department
    -CONSTANT miscommunication from management team that led to daily tension between managers and assistants
    -Completely inappropriate practices "excused"--one editor who made sexual harassment comments to assistants allowed to remain at job
    -unproductive review assessments--inappropriate character assassination rather than overview of skills/helpful feedback for job improvement
    -constant job security threatened because of insecurity of manager
    -offensively low starting salary, even for competing nonprofit organizations--starting salary of 28k

Advice to Management

Complete turnover necessary for any productive headway to occur

"Anon"

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time

Pros

Great toilet paper and vending machines

Cons

No encouragement. Lack of positivity.constantly critical of your work. STRESS LEVEL HIGH

Advice to Management

Shut the door and turn it into barnes and noble or bowling alley

9. "Great experience"

Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, great coworkers, good experience, learned alot

Cons

managers to not micromanager, doesn't let internal workers get promoted

"Lawsuit waiting to happen..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Super smart colleagues who work hard;

Cons

Indifferent HR dept who ignore upper management's bad behavior, Executive's busy with enriching their own careers and indifferent to realities re pay/compensation and workloads junior staff endure.

Advice to Management

2% raises for executives is still a significant raise, but 2% of junior staff salaries does not even cover transportation increases annually...what happened to meritocracy?