KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Oxford University Press

Engaged Employer

Oxford University Press

Add a Review

Oxford University Press Employee Reviews about "low pay"

Updated Jan 11, 2021

Found 50 of over 908 reviews

3.6
Oxford University Press CEO Nigel Portwood (no image)
Nigel Portwood
Pros
  • "Good brand value, good work life balance(in 68 reviews)

• "OUP is a friendly, congenial working environment with excellent amenities and worker benefits(in 62 reviews)

• Cons
  • "This is by no means to say that OUP is perfect(in 71 reviews)

• "Poor communication, low pay, high turnover(in 50 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Oxford University Press and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "low pay"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Awesome place to work!

Nov 4, 2011 - Assistant Editor in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Have to say I love this place. I like working independently, my boss has provided me with ample opportunity to work at moving up (and did in fact promote me), and has encouraged me to gain acquisitions experience. Good benefits, and a pretty casual environment. Also, the president is really great. Takes the time to talk to everybody, is very open and honest, and has an excellent knowledge of the industry. Anybody who doesn't succeed here or get something meaningful out of the experience wasn't really trying.

Cons

Low pay, but what do you expect from a not-for-profit academic publisher? Also, publishing is a topsy-turvy field right now, but what isn't?

Continue reading
      Be the first to find this review helpful
    2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Decent work, poor pay

Jan 11, 2021 - Marketing Assistant in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good office, caring HR, good IT, free food!

Cons

Poor communication, low pay, high turnover

1 person found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We’re grateful for your feedback, and would love to hear more about what we’re doing well, and where we can improve. If you want to share any further details, please email glassdoor@oup.com.

3. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Entry-level publishing world job

Sep 29, 2020 - Assistant Editor in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Prestigious company on resume and you meet interesting and smart people who work there. Many of my close friends were ones I met through work. Most of the assistants are fresh out of college and so all roughly the same age with similar life experiences. Lots of happy hours, birthday parties, etc. Other benefits are that the head of OUP USA does make himself available to anyone in the organization no matter their role, from intern to C-level. And the retirement account options are decent (with matching), but that's only a benefit if you can live on your take-home pay after contributing. I knew others that were so strapped for cash that they couldn't even contribute 1-2% to their own accounts, because they needed every bit of their miniscule take-home pay. I wasn't able to save much from my take-home salary but was at least able to start a retirement account with a decent chunk when I left. Better than nothing. Others who were from the Tri-state area and lived and home and commuted in might have been able to live on the salary, but many of us moved from several states away and had no choice but to pay for housing.

Cons

Very low pay, low morale, and high turnover. No training other than learn as you go/trial and error. They've recently raised the salaries from what I've heard but when I started in 2015 it was a non-negotiable $30k (and two weeks vacation, which management admitted was abysmal) for editorial assistants which is impossible to live on in NYC. Others a few years before me started at $28,500. In 2015 with a college (and sometimes graduate) degree. These were people who went to Ivy League schools with perfect GPAs. Maybe we're all suckers for accepting being paid that little. It's honestly shameful. But it's the reputation and prestige of the company that draws people in. It took YEARS to make even a few thousand more. As soon as I left OUP for a new job (also in the nonprofit publishing world, hmm) my salary doubled and my workload decreased. I couldn't believe I didn't leave sooner. Extremely limited promotion options were also why I left. If the only avenue for significant salary increases are tied to job title then you're better off leaving the organization to be paid more. I don't regret it as a good first job despite these cons, but I was grateful to leave when I did after a few years of paying my dues. Lack of overtime: I know people who worked for demanding editors and routinely stayed until 9 or 10 at night and never received a dime of overtime, even though legally, their salary was under the threshold that entitled them to overtime compensation. Editors were resistant to approve OT even though time and time again, HR and upper management told them to pay OT if their assistants stayed past 5. I don't know what the current status of OT is, but this was my experience a few years ago.

6 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We really appreciate your taking the time to share such detailed feedback. One of the primary advantages of entry-level jobs in publishing is the opportunity to meet a lot of dynamic, interesting people, and it’s reassuring to know that this was your experience at OUP. That said, it’s obviously critically important that our colleagues feel rewarded and supported, both in their day-to-day work, and in their career progression. We have recently increased the entry-level salary in New York to $40,000, and have a number of ongoing initiatives in place to support career development. People *must* be paid for any overtime they work, full stop, and it’s important that we’re made aware of any instances of non-compliance so that we can address them. This is not a matter of policy or preference, it’s a matter of law. All OUP employees have a “Speak Up” app on their desktops which enables them to report any matters of concerns—whether regarding workplace culture, employee behavior, or unethical conduct of any kind—anonymously to an independent external agency, to ensure that everyone feels comfortable flagging any issues; any reports will be investigated. Please do email me directly (Ola.Ogunsanya@oup.com), or email our Glassdoor inbox – glassdoor@oup.com, with any additional details you might wish to share regarding your concerns about overtime. Best, Ola Ogunsanya, Regional Head of HR for the Americas

4. 2.0
      Former Contractor, more than 3 years

Corporate attitude

Mar 11, 2020 - Copy Editor in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Plenty of work, make own schedule

Cons

low pay, poor quality, hypocritical

3 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thank you for your review. If you like to build on any of the points you mention, you can email us at glassdoor@oup.com.

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Looking for a foot in the door? Unless you're desperate for a paycheck, apply elsewhere.

Jan 22, 2020 - Assistant Editor in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Brilliant, kind employees ruthlessly mistreated by upper management; extremely low stakes.

Cons

Embarrassingly low pay, almost no opportunity for advancement, out-of-touch upper management, outdated and mind-numbingly convoluted systems, rampant outsourcing, loudly empty gestures toward diversity and inclusion, constant turnover resulting from a company culture that encourages employees to leave and usually fails to replace them in favor of spreading the work around.

17 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We’re concerned by a number of the points you raise in your review. We hope you will consider getting in touch to tell us more, so that we can escalate your feedback to the necessary teams internally. You can reach us at glassdoor@oup.com.

6. 3.0
      Former Employee

Great people, tough place

Jul 28, 2019 - Assistant Editor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing coworkers and good work/life balance

Cons

Low pay and management issues

3 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on working here. If you’d like to expand on your review at all, you can get in touch by emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Over rated under paid over worked

Jun 27, 2019 - Senior Editor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Brand name Ethical culture Manhattan office

Cons

Bureaucratic Over extended Low pay Supercilious

16 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We were saddened to read that you did not enjoy your time at OUP. We take on board your thoughts on salary too - we want our people to feel proud of our mission, and though we are a non-profit organization , our global reward teams are reviewing salaries across all markets. If you would like to speak to us about this in more detail you can reach us at glassdoor@oup.com

8. 1.0
      Former Employee

I wish I had listened to the reviews

May 29, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The people. My manager was beyond amazing and so supportive of my interests and ideas. I've met some of the most hardworking and ambitious people I know here. - Flexible hours and relaxed dress code.

Cons

- HORRIBLY low pay. Lower-level employees are paid a laughable salary that is far below industry standards. It's ridiculous and almost offensive how poorly lower-level employees are paid, especially considering how they are often doing the work of 3-4 people for months and months on end. Many of my colleagues live with multiple roommates and some can barely even afford to feed themselves. - During my time at OUP (less than a year) I watched over 12 people in my department leave. Lower-level staff is basically treated as disposable. Hiring freezes and upper-level management’s extreme slowness in actually hiring new people result in the remaining employees struggling to balance the work of 3-4 people at one time. One of my colleagues did not have a manager for the majority of their time at OUP and was forced to play the role of both assistant and manager (and sometimes even editor). There are no bonuses or any incentives at all for balancing additional positions on top of your own responsibilities. - No room for growth whatsoever. During my interview, I asked what the opportunities for growth were within my role and department and was told that my only option was to become a sales rep. Lower-level employees are told that there’s no way for them to move up to a manager position unless they have sales experience—and then upper-level management goes and hires people from other companies who have NO sales experience. There is no path for upward mobility here. There are no mandatory check-ins or performance reviews. It seems like OUP couldn’t care less about retaining talent. - While my manager was fantastic, I can’t say the same for the majority of mid-level and upper-level management. Some of my colleagues are more like baby sitters for their managers rather than assistants. Upper-management seem to have very little EQ and don’t know or even care to understand what it is that lower-level and mid-level employees do; they just keep force-implementing new processes without taking the time to see if they are feasible. I witnessed an editor belittle my colleague over emails and harass them in person. When confronted about his behavior, the editor just laughed. I reported the editor to HR and Compliance, but given how little has been done about other editors who have sexually harassed employees in the past, I doubt anything will come of my report. This same colleague went to HR in the past, in tears from stress and mistreatment, but received no follow up. When they brought it up to HR again, the only response was, “Oh yes, I remember that.” - Outdated systems, incompetent IT support, and unreliable internet. Many of OUP’s systems are horribly outdated (if you try Googling them, nothing shows up) and oftentimes don’t work. I had an issue with a system for months and was shuffled back and forth between IT support providers who, although were very nice and tried to help solve my issue, were unable to fix it and actually made things worse for me. Even the people who created the system refused to help me and just shoved me back to IT. The internet connection in the office is shoddy and there were periods of time where no one was able to access their email or the internet. Do yourself a favor and listen to the negative reviews. I was one of those people who thought “Oh it can’t be THAT bad”. It really is that bad.

19 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Hi, I am OUP’s Group HR Director and I was troubled to read about your experience at OUP, it’s not how I would want any of my colleagues to feel. You reference some serious allegations that I am very concerned about and would be keen to understand more about. If you feel comfortable, please contact me via glassdoor@oup.com (marked for my attention). Alternatively you can use the new confidential Speak-Up service we launched last week across the globe, by emailing SpeakUpOUP@expolink.co.uk. On career progression, we are addressing this - launching our Global Job Classification making all levels across the Press visible, and providing a framework and support to develop the skills that enable our people to progress. This is not a quick fix but I, and my team, are committed to making this a reality for all our people globally. I hope to hear from you soon. Lesley

9. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Low pay, low morale, highly toxic

Apr 25, 2019 - Marketing in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are some nice people here, at the mid- and entry- levels. The office is centrally located.

Cons

Horribly low pay, huge workload, and outdated technology aside, upper management is the worst I have ever encountered in any industry. They push all the work down to the people below them, give them no tools or training, then wonder why they don't get the desired results. There is no way to move up, unless you are part of a clique with upper management. (OUP's idea of "professional development" is a sad shelf of books next to the vending machine. ) I have personally been bullied, yelled at, and undermined by management. Several colleagues have been sexually harassed, but the harassers still work here, so I guess that is not a deal breaker. Do yourself a favor and work literally anywhere else.

21 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Dear colleague, I am disturbed to read your comments on management, bullying, and sexual harassment. As OUP’s Investigations Manager, please let me reassure you that we do have a Dignity at Work Policy which covers sexual harassment. We investigate all reports of unethical behaviour, so please do contact me directly in confidence at investigations@oup.com, or through our external hotline SpeakUpoup@expolink.co.uk, and give as much detail as you can on what you have witnessed to allow a proper investigation. Thank you and kind regards, Mary

10. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Dead end for your career

Apr 8, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Low expectations and not very stressful

Cons

Low pay, outdated systems, meh benefits to start off. Management is a joke, and most of them aren't qualified to do their job. Career advancement is pretty much non existant, and if you want to learn anything, they'll offer no way to learn/apply new skills outside of a few online courses. Departments don't work well together at all either, which makes it very frustrating.

18 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thank you for taking time to leave this feedback. We would like to understand more about your comments on management and career advancement, particularly as we are actively trying to raise awareness of development opportunities at OUP. If you would like to speak to us further about your views, or would like to know more about career development options, please do get in touch at glassdoor@oup.com - we would welcome the opportunity to understand a bit more about your experience of working here.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 50 Reviews