KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Oxford University Press

Engaged Employer

Oxford University Press

Add a Review

Oxford University Press Employee Reviews about "oup"

Updated Dec 9, 2020

Found 106 of over 908 reviews

3.6
Oxford University Press CEO Nigel Portwood (no image)
Nigel Portwood
Pros
  • "Good brand value, good work life balance(in 68 reviews)

• "OUP is a friendly, congenial working environment with excellent amenities and worker benefits(in 62 reviews)

• Cons
  • "This is by no means to say that OUP is perfect(in 71 reviews)

• "Poor communication, low pay, high turnover(in 50 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Oxford University Press and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "oup"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Good Internship Experience

Mar 31, 2018 - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

In general, I had a very positive internship experience at Oxford University Press in NYC. OUP has a clearly defined internship program, and it was one of the best intern experiences I've had. I was lucky enough to have a very involved supervisor, and in addition to helping with day-to-day OUP tasks, I also was given my own projects that were both beneficial to the department I was working on and specific to my own individual interests. I had a few check-ins with my supervisor and another member of the department where we discussed my projects and goals and how they were coming along. I really felt like they were dedicated to making sure that I had the best experience possible and was able to walk out with professional skills necessary to my line of work. Though the pay was not great (minimum wage + $5 travel stipend), I was grateful to have a paid experience.

Cons

Because OUP is such a big company, it's definitely overwhelming at first. I was one of the only interns on my floor and the only one in my specific department, so as a result, I wasn't able to get to know my fellow interns as well as many others. From the people I did talk to, intern experiences varied from department-to-department, and some interns had less positive experiences due to their supervisors. As someone in a non-editorial department, I cannot speak to the experience of editorial interns. The work was mostly independent and solitary, which could be lonely at times, and I would have enjoyed getting to participate in more meetings and collaborative projects. I am lucky enough to live and go to school in NY, but this would definitely be a difficult internship experience for someone not from the area. I did feel like they gave preference to selecting interns from private East Coast colleges, so the diversity was not great as it could have been.

Continue reading
      Be the first to find this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your internship. It sounds like you had a good working relationship with your manager, and were able to get involved in a lot of projects, so we hope it provided you with some valuable experience. It’s also interesting to hear your thoughts about some of the challenges your fellow interns experienced, so we’ll definitely take your feedback on board, particularly around helping interns to meet and network, and supporting diversity and inclusion through the programme. If you have any further comments or feedback to share, you can get in touch via glassdoor@oup.com

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

You Deserve Better

Sep 23, 2020 - Coordinator in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Looking back, it's really, really hard to identify any. I guess the vending machines were well stocked with healthy snacks?

Cons

The salary for Assistants and Coordinators is unlivable in NY unless you are being supported by family or are a trust fund kid. This perpetuates the lack of diversity in the company and the high rate of turnover and burn out from the "doers" in the organization. In 3 years since leaving OUP, I have more than DOUBLED my salary while still working in publishing. Do not drink the koolaid! That name on your resume is not worth living as the working poor while you struggle to choose between buying groceries and making your student loan payment. Get out of there and hitch your wagon to a brighter and more generous star. I used to fantasize about buying a pair of warm shoes in the winter... and I had 5+ years of teaching experience and an MBA when I joined the company. Nobody with the talent, education and commitment of the young people I met working at OUP should have to deal with that. You. Deserve. Better.

11 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

I would like to reassure you that we take the feedback we hear directly from our employees, as well as through channels such as Glassdoor, incredibly seriously. Since you left three years ago, we have increased the entry-level salary for those working in New York to $40,000, and currently have a significant project underway to support diversity and inclusion across OUP worldwide. That said, we always want to hear from employees – past and present – to find out more about their experiences so we can continue to identify opportunities for improvement. You can reach out to me directly, or email glassdoor@oup.com. Best, Ola Ogunsanya, Regional Head of HR for the Americas

3. 4.0
      Former Employee

Positive experience

Oct 15, 2020 - Coordinator
      Business Outlook

Pros

While it is tempting to gawk at and to hold in higher credence the more salacious reviews posted here, I’m writing this review not as a corrective to those but as a way of adding another voice to the conversation. While I am really disheartened to see so many negative reviews, and while I won’t ever disbelieve them, I am perplexed by how different my time at OUP was compared to those with bad experiences. Overall, I found OUP to be a nurturing place that challenged me in very important ways (both personally and professionally) and allowed me to freely explore, create, and try new things. Perhaps the more negative reviews stem from departments I never really worked with, and thus parallel lives are being lived in one organization, but by and large every employee I worked with was earnest, decent, and committed to OUP’s mission. Sure, I experienced some disagreeable personalities and had to navigate some thorny temperaments, but to me most OUP employees are nerdy, cordial, and hardworking. It’s obvious that those who care about positively changing the workplace culture are doing really good and impactful work to make those changes happen--the volunteers on the Social Committee and the Diversity + Inclusion Committee are incredibly decent, respectful, and goodhearted people who deserve more outward respect and praise.

Cons

This is by no means to say that OUP is perfect—it’s siloed nature, outdated bureaucracy, and antiquated technology + systems hinder everyone’s output. And while I do think senior management is receptive to requested changes, those changes are often slow to be realized or inadvertently cause additional issues. I think OUP knows that it has to be nimbler in a dramatically changing industry, but I don’t think they accurately estimate the rate at which they need to perform this nimbleness. It is a company that rests very heavily on its traditioned laurels, and I think this sense of comfort is at times sabotaging. As evidenced from these reviews, OUP suffers from a distinct retention problem, and it would prove prudent for the company to be transparent about this issue and how it is tangibly working to alleviate it.

2 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We’re grateful that you’ve taken the time to write such a detailed review, and are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time here and felt supported and empowered in your role. Thank you for your comments about our people, and the work currently underway to enhance our culture and further our diversity and inclusion goals, and we appreciate your feedback on the areas where you feel we can improve. If you have any further thoughts you would like to share, you can get in touch with us directly by emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

4. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Entry-level publishing world job

Sep 29, 2020 - Assistant Editor in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Prestigious company on resume and you meet interesting and smart people who work there. Many of my close friends were ones I met through work. Most of the assistants are fresh out of college and so all roughly the same age with similar life experiences. Lots of happy hours, birthday parties, etc. Other benefits are that the head of OUP USA does make himself available to anyone in the organization no matter their role, from intern to C-level. And the retirement account options are decent (with matching), but that's only a benefit if you can live on your take-home pay after contributing. I knew others that were so strapped for cash that they couldn't even contribute 1-2% to their own accounts, because they needed every bit of their miniscule take-home pay. I wasn't able to save much from my take-home salary but was at least able to start a retirement account with a decent chunk when I left. Better than nothing. Others who were from the Tri-state area and lived and home and commuted in might have been able to live on the salary, but many of us moved from several states away and had no choice but to pay for housing.

Cons

Very low pay, low morale, and high turnover. No training other than learn as you go/trial and error. They've recently raised the salaries from what I've heard but when I started in 2015 it was a non-negotiable $30k (and two weeks vacation, which management admitted was abysmal) for editorial assistants which is impossible to live on in NYC. Others a few years before me started at $28,500. In 2015 with a college (and sometimes graduate) degree. These were people who went to Ivy League schools with perfect GPAs. Maybe we're all suckers for accepting being paid that little. It's honestly shameful. But it's the reputation and prestige of the company that draws people in. It took YEARS to make even a few thousand more. As soon as I left OUP for a new job (also in the nonprofit publishing world, hmm) my salary doubled and my workload decreased. I couldn't believe I didn't leave sooner. Extremely limited promotion options were also why I left. If the only avenue for significant salary increases are tied to job title then you're better off leaving the organization to be paid more. I don't regret it as a good first job despite these cons, but I was grateful to leave when I did after a few years of paying my dues. Lack of overtime: I know people who worked for demanding editors and routinely stayed until 9 or 10 at night and never received a dime of overtime, even though legally, their salary was under the threshold that entitled them to overtime compensation. Editors were resistant to approve OT even though time and time again, HR and upper management told them to pay OT if their assistants stayed past 5. I don't know what the current status of OT is, but this was my experience a few years ago.

6 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We really appreciate your taking the time to share such detailed feedback. One of the primary advantages of entry-level jobs in publishing is the opportunity to meet a lot of dynamic, interesting people, and it’s reassuring to know that this was your experience at OUP. That said, it’s obviously critically important that our colleagues feel rewarded and supported, both in their day-to-day work, and in their career progression. We have recently increased the entry-level salary in New York to $40,000, and have a number of ongoing initiatives in place to support career development. People *must* be paid for any overtime they work, full stop, and it’s important that we’re made aware of any instances of non-compliance so that we can address them. This is not a matter of policy or preference, it’s a matter of law. All OUP employees have a “Speak Up” app on their desktops which enables them to report any matters of concerns—whether regarding workplace culture, employee behavior, or unethical conduct of any kind—anonymously to an independent external agency, to ensure that everyone feels comfortable flagging any issues; any reports will be investigated. Please do email me directly (Ola.Ogunsanya@oup.com), or email our Glassdoor inbox – glassdoor@oup.com, with any additional details you might wish to share regarding your concerns about overtime. Best, Ola Ogunsanya, Regional Head of HR for the Americas

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

The worst place you will ever work, in any industry

Mar 2, 2020 - Marketing in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Met some wonderful, kind people at the assistant and mid-manager levels. All of them have wised up and moved on.

Cons

Rampant abuse of lower-level employees (all female) by senior management (all white and mostly male). I was personally bullied and yelled at, and witnessed sexual harassment of other employees. HR is fully aware of this, yet the same senior management team remains in place. Day to day, you are expected to take on the work of 3-4 people with no perks whatsoever, no resources to help you and a computer system that only functions about half the time. There is little to no chance for advancement, which is why most people don't last more than a year or so. The salary is poverty level, and the health insurance is just ok. The bottom line: OUP culture treats its employees (at the lower and middle levels) as valueless and disposable. Even if you want to get publishing experience, it is NOT worth the soul-crushing, toxic environment. If you value your mental or physical health in the least, you'll stay far away from OUP.

18 people found this review helpful
    6. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Get in. Get experience. Get out.

Aug 28, 2019 - Marketing in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people: OUP hires so many hardworking, passionate, driven people. You will make great connections that last even when those people leave the company. OUP has a high employee turnover, so it's a great place to get that first publishing job. They have to replace people so often that it's a good place to find open positions. Turnover also causes a lot of assistants and coordinators to do work that is well above their job responsibilities. You will gain experience that can help you find a new job at a company that takes better care of their employees. Lots of happy hours since everyone quits!

Cons

OUP will teach you the hard lesson that the company you work for does not care about you. Your workload, work/life balance, mental health, career progression--none of that matters to senior management. Oxford will inevitably make you feel like you deserve to be mistreated, under payed, overworked. Be sure to leave before you start accepting the blatant corporate abuse that is tolerated in the office.

23 people found this review helpful
    7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

For all the current OUP employees reading this—the mistreatment and toxicity isn’t okay, and it isn’t your fault.

Aug 21, 2020 - Editorial Assistant in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you are an assistant, or starting in an entry-level position that pays a poverty wage—please know that every other assistant will move heaven and earth to help you. They’ll train you on everything that matters (and anything else that requires training—there isn’t a single systems trainer in the NY office). They will tell you which male editors to avoid at the holiday party, they’ll help you find a contract from 2009 because high-profile academics are berating you and you have 200 other books under contract assigned to you and *somehow* it’s all yours to fix. They’ll tell you to leave your cubicle and take a break when you’re close to tears, and they’ll toast you wholeheartedly with cheap alcohol hidden in filing cabinets when you’re fired, pushed out, or “choose” to leave of your own will because you have bills to pay and your hair is falling out. But before that happens, please also know they’ll be behind you and fighting with you.

Cons

If you ask Oxford University Press what their stance is on a starting wage of $30k in NYC with unpaid OT expected but never acknowledged, or the fact that this non-profit makes a HEFTY profit that’s then sent back to Oxford University as a cash surplus (you know, since Oxford has historically been hard up for money...), or their long history of imperialism and racism, or how most of the editorial board meetings are simply a rerun of a Mad Men episode meant to illustrate how things were in “the past,” or the rampant violations of basic employment law or standard HR compliance, or the fact that the most prestigious and well-respected University press in the world is just...an utter disappointment to anyone with a love of teaching, writing, editing, or just...creating things that have a purpose and do something? Well, OUP’s answer would be: “Oxford.” Truly, that’s the beginning and end of their business strategy, let along their approach to community engagement—“Oxford. O-X-F-O-R-D.” You want to know why books published by OUP have ISBNs? Underpaid assistants. You want to know why these books have covers to show to the world? Longtime talent in the design department. You want to know who makes it so that these books are printed and distributed? Manufacturing. And still, OUP has one answer, and one answer only—and they know it will not be enough.

22 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thank you for getting in touch. As you can imagine, some of the issues you raised here are a real cause for concern and I’d like to address a few of them directly. 1. Firstly, on your comments about salary and reward, the entry-level salary figure you cite is no longer accurate, following earlier adjustments to increase assistant salaries well above that level. Furthermore, we remain actively focused on entry-level salaries and are working to take additional actions, even within the context of the current challenges posed by the pandemic. 2. Secondly, you raised some points around imperialism and racism, particularly in relation to our history. As is the case for many organizations at the moment, this is a topic that has been widely discussed at OUP over the last few months. Presently, in the US, we have carried out a series of listening sessions with our BIPOC employee base and, across our offices worldwide, we are in the process of carrying out similar exercises. Through these, we hope to identify tangible and immediate steps to support diversity and inclusion, and workplace culture, across OUP. We also continue to implement more inclusive recruitment practices and run global inclusion workshops to tackle unconscious bias. As a core value, we do not tolerate racism, prejudice, or harassment in any form, and are committed to anti-racist principles. 3. Finally, I was really concerned to read your reference to violations of employment law and HR compliance. Unpaid overtime is not expected and, in fact, we frequently emphasize—at briefings, in communications—that everyone who works OT should be paid for it. If you would be willing, I would encourage you to reach out to us directly (glassdoor@oup.com) or to our Speak UP hotline (https://wrs.expolink.co.uk/speakupoup) to tell us more about the specifics of this so that we can do something about any such instances. I really hope you will consider getting in touch. Best wishes, David Clark Managing Director, Academic Division

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Making necessary transitions, but it's a good place to work.

Mar 4, 2020 - Sales in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Still values the importance of the scholarship we publish in a very challenging marketplace. Good work/life balance, which is very hard to find. Opportunities to move around, though admittedly requires having a champion.

Cons

The balance between not-for-profit leader in scholarly comms is very often at odds with the requirements to return a profit to the University. Need more investments in the publishing operations if OUP is going to be an active participant in the new publishing environment.

2 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thank you for your feedback, and we’re pleased to hear that you have had a positive experience at OUP. We are always keen to find out what we can do to improve, so if you would like to tell us anything else about what we’re doing well, and where we can do better, please do get in touch via glassdoor@oup.com.

9. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Terrible place to work. Managers haven't got a clue. Very hostile work environment

Feb 15, 2020 - Sales Representative in Cary, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Earning potential as a rep is high. Time off is good. Benefits are good

Cons

Hostile work environment. Amateurish managers (at best). Lots of sniping and very cliquey. Managers play favorites. Inappropriately closeness between managers and some of their subordinates. Complete and utter lack of coaching. Lacking in any kind of real training or coaching in sales, systems etc. Almost all coaching and training is done online, rather than in a face to face teaching environment and is of the lowest quality I have ever experienced in more than four decades of work experience. I worked for OUP for a long time and only put up with it because of the high earnings potential. It was like an abusive relationship. I am glad to be gone from there.

16 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We are concerned by many of the issues you raise in your review, particularly around our culture and learning and development opportunities. We would really like to understand more about your experiences, so we can identify opportunities for improvement, and encourage you to email us via glassdoor@oup.com. Regarding your point about inappropriate behaviours, you can also raise your concerns for investigation by contacting our confidential helpline - SpeakUpOUP@expolink.co.uk.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

A Self-Determining Place, with One Major Flaw

Oct 22, 2019 - Various in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

As someone who has worked in various departments and teams across OUP for nearly 10 years, I can confidently say that, for better or for worse, your experience here is largely what you make of it. I see some employees, usually younger ones, get frustrated when no one drops the next step of their career into their lap, even when they're working hard. It just doesn't work that way here. If you take control of your own career development, create your own opportunities, and proactively pursue what you want, there are opportunities for growth here, but you have to go out and get them. This can work out quite postively: at the moment, I'm in a role that didn't exist until I proposed it to my manager and demonstrated its value against a very real business need. Some companies might offer a more regimented career ladder, but those same companies might not allow the degree of self-determination that a company like OUP can offer, given its size and global scope.

Cons

That being said, I do think OUP's one major flaw (at least within the US) is HR. I don't necessarily mean the individual staff members (there are some real gems), but more just its general structure and ethos. To be honest, I've never seen an HR department that is so at odds with its company's staff, occasionally verging on antagonistic. Specifically, everything surrounding the processes of recruitment, creating a new position, promoting an exisiting person, raising someone's salary, etc.--everything in that area needs to be much more flexible, efficient, and transparent, and, at least in its current form, US HR doesn't seem to be capable of handling important and sensitive issues like these very gracefully. I truly think this would remove the majority of the negative comments on here. It would also be nice to have an HR department that, even just in spirit, felt as though it were on the employees' side instead of being an oppositional force all the time.

8 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thank you for your feedback and it’s great to hear so many positives in your experience at OUP. That said, I’m concerned to see your comments around HR being at odds with our people. As a team, our main focus is supporting and empowering our people as much as possible, so I’d like to understand more about your specific experiences, in case there’s anything we can address. I’m also keen to understand more about your experience of the recruitment process in the US and how we can improve. If you’re happy to contact me directly, then please do use my internal email address or Skype. Alternatively you can always reach out to our Glassdoor email address – glassdoor@oup.com. Thank you. Jamie Stuart, Talent Acquisition Director.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 106 Reviews