Oxford University Reviews | Glassdoor

Oxford University Chancellor Christopher Francis Patten
Christopher Francis Patten

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is non existent for most science departments, but that is expected (in 18 reviews)

• Oxford is very expensive to live in, particularly on a PhD stipend (in 9 reviews)

1. "Money limitations make research hard"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Oxford University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The University still has a great name, that can open plenty of doors

Cons

I have the impression that the students are not particularly well prepared. The money is running low and they give you troubles for every expense claim. Salaries for researchers are so bad that it's hard to find a place to live in Oxford.

Advice to Management

Some of the big money spent for new buildings could go in quality research. Sooner or later the name will not be enough to attract the best talents

2. "can be challanging"

Pros

Good exposure, tag, good career counseling

Cons

mostly short term until your expertise is transferred to a local emplyee

Advice to Management

try to respect junior employees, times are changing.

3. "teaching assistant for intercollegiate classes"

Current Employee - PhD Candidate
    Current Employee - PhD Candidate

Pros

Students gathered into small groups. Frequent classes, so one sees real progress in students.

Cons

Low salary. The marks are not counting towards the final score, so some students do not produce serious work constantly.

Advice to Management

Rise the salary, lower the number of classes but make the marks count towards overall assessement

"Stay away from the Department of Oncology"

Current Employee - PhD Candidate in Headington, England (UK)
    Current Employee - PhD Candidate in Headington, England (UK)

Pros

I am a full-time PhD student. The university itself is great, and has many opportunities for networking, and we do not want for research money

Cons

The management at our department is abysmal. We are divided in research interests, and the research is not very stimulating. Harassment and bullying is rampant, and there is no clear management of rogue group leaders. Very little transparency. Turnover of both students and postdocs is very high.

"Not worth the commute"

Former Employee - Fundraising in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Fundraising in London, England (UK)

I worked at Oxford University (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people but too far to commute.

Cons

I was promised promotion opportunities but there were no jobs in the band above my own!

Advice to Management

Don't make promises you can't keep

"Disappointing"

Former Employee - PhD Student in Oxford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - PhD Student in Oxford, England (UK)

I worked at Oxford University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Total freedom to do absolutely anything you want. If you were born already knowing how to do research, this is the place for you.

Cons

Very little guidance or support. High turnover. Department with high dropout rate and students taking 5+ years. Most researchers are uninterested in collaboration. Very expensive place to live.

"Very competitive environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

I worked at Oxford University (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great content, important brand, a lot of potential to develop the business, interesting people, lots of challenges and learning opportunities

Cons

Very hierarchical, very competitive, lots of insider politics, glass ceiling that often prevents people to develop a career, work and enthusiasm is often not valued, your ideas and innovation efforts are exploited but not necessarily valued

Advice to Management

To break up the rigid hierarchical structure and insider groups would help the company to become more open to innovation and change; consider more that people and their enthusiasm are the most valuable asset of a company - value both more & live OUP's values more.

"Bureaucratic monster, enormous pressure on scientists, little to none effectiveness of support staff and management"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Oxford University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As any research job there are no constraints on how you should organise your work.
    Flexible hours and opportunities for travel.
    Very bright people to work with (researchers and professors)

Cons

40% to 100% overheads on research grants basically means for every £100 of research funds given by the taxpayers,£50 goes to the university and it is spent in unclear ways, feeding an gigantic pyramid of --mostly unnecessary-- support, secretarial, and IT staff. The difference between the salaries of the researchers and the one of the managers is absurd and unjustified.

This lead to an enormous pressure on young scientists who have to focus first on feeding the system and only later on scientific achievements.

Permanent positions are based mostly on personal connections and amount of money brought in.

Advice to Management

The operational procedures are incredibly complicated and work against efficiency.

"Great researching resources and students; poor salaries, employment rights and support"

Former Employee - Tutor and Instructor in Oxford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Tutor and Instructor in Oxford, England (UK)

I worked at Oxford University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The students are ambitious and wonderful to teach (mostly), and the libraries and community of scholars is vibrant and ambitious, if occasionally overly-competitive or a few years behind the trends.

Cons

Few, and increasingly fewer, tenured jobs, with more emphasis on by-hour and adjunct teaching, which means no payment for marking and prep. I was once told that, because I was based at a different college to the one I was tutoring for and was a grad student at the time -- that I had no right to photocopy for my students and that therefore any photocopies I needed for class would come out of my £22 per (classroom) hour wage. In general, Oxford knows that the brand has capital, and that academics cannot be choosy about their jobs in this market, and it seems to take full advantage of these facts by treating their employees as people who should be grateful just to be there.

Advice to Management

Professionalise your approach: ensure that everyone ranging from full professors and chairs to graduate tutors can benefit from salary and per-hour wage transparency, a clear year-by-year salary/wage ladder, and a federalised expectation of what colleges should be providing to their tutors outside of basic wage and/or salary. In general, federalise teaching provision and payment as much as possible: opportunities, hierarchies and support ranges far too drastically from college to college.