P.A.M. Transportation Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.2
Daniel H. Cushman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • that's why I'm going to try to keep this as real as possible (in 4 reviews)

• Good place to start your career if you're just getting your CDL (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Wait times lies preplans to sit all weekend low pay 5 different DM in less than 2 months (in 8 reviews)

• no home time, management disrespectful (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

I worked at P.A.M. Transportation full-time

Pros

Great Pay, Great Drivers, Amazing leadership, Great equipment, Awesome coworkers, and great working environment

Cons

No real pros because its a great company

2. "Driver"

I worked at P.A.M. Transportation full-time

Pros

Will hire you even if better beginner outfits turned you down

Cons

Not enough freight to keep teams busy. Sat many weekend waiting for loads. Low pay

3. "Driver"

Pros

You can get your school paid for if you stay for a year.

Cons

Pay is low and management doesn't communicate with each other

Advice to Management

Find a way to keep track of trailers. Sometimes there are to many people going after one trailer. Really frustrating

4. "Pam is what u make of it"

Current Employee - Owner Operator
    Current Employee - Owner Operator

Pros

Good company trucks, free school, on company side, but Lease Purchase side better then company side, way way better pay dm that run u and u control where u go and where u don't want to run.when u switch to lease purchase side they cut what u owe for your cdl from 6k down to 2k and you pay as u go or up front.been on the lease purchase side since 12/16 and with pam for a year now. when I first got my cdl I was reading around online about good companys to work and found Pam they had alot and I mean alot of bad reviews and mines is not going to be any better but it didn't stop me from joining and it turned out to be a good choice for me because I don't care about anything else​ other then my truck rolling and money in my bank account.. not everyone is going to have the same experience as the last person.. that's why I'm going to try to keep this as real as possible

Cons

Well for starters when I was company I had to team for 6 months there was no 50k rule they giving these new guys know and I hated it but I had a very cool teammate so it made time pass quickly but once 6 months came I switched over to Lease purchase side of things best move I ever made.. Because well pay sucks on company side 25 cpm for solo and 17.5 cpm for team is straight Garbage only cr England is worse from what I hear. #2 your sitting most of the time but again I had a cool butt dm that kept me and my teammate rolling with good miles just those checks was garbage. But at the same time you are getting experience so it's what u make of it.. if u always complaining about things the dispatcher make it hard for u. #3. Some shops are horrible at getting u in and out at a decent time they all just bs around and take there time "stay away from Laredo yard and Irving yard" now I would say get your time in whatever that may be 6 months or a year and leave if u choose or go to mentor side or be like me and Lease purchase side after 6 months but don't stay company side if u thinking u going to make money because that 55grand a year crap they selling u is a lie.. I made 15 Grand in 6 months u do the math... I make hell of a lot more money being my own boss..

Advice to Management

Better pay on company side, give all the new students the used trucks to beat up that u give us on the lease purchase side and give us the newer trucks u give the company side.

5. "pam"

Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver

I worked at P.A.M. Transportation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

lots of dedicated routes to choose

Cons

very low pay per mile

6. "Nobody knows what they are doing"

Current Employee - Class A With Hazmat Team in Abingdon, VA
    Current Employee - Class A With Hazmat Team in Abingdon, VA

I have been working at P.A.M. Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They will hire anyone

Cons

Advice to Management

Preplan doesn't mean plan to sit at a truck stop for 2 days Drivers only get paid when moving not just for being on truck

7. "Do not work at pam."

Former Employee - Driver in Tontitown, AR
    Former Employee - Driver in Tontitown, AR

I worked at P.A.M. Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Every single guy I went to truck driving school with did not stay at Pam the full year. Every one of us now had to pay the school $5,000 dollars back.

Cons

They run a system where they take new drivers, force them together for six months and barely pay them anything. If you're able to stay with your partner for 6 months you can finally be by yourself and you make about $300 to $400 a week.

8. "Well you gotta start some where."

Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver (Over the Road Truck Driver)
    Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver (Over the Road Truck Driver)

I have been working at P.A.M. Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Only thing good about pam is they help you get your foot into the industry of driving and their equipment is alright. DM's do there best and are friendly.

Cons

You sit.... ALOT! Have to fight constantly to get home on time ( been home late just about Every time). Their pay is ridiculously low, only get decent pay if you stay with your teammate for the whole year obligation or do mentor and mentoring is a hassle because you have a ton of paperwork to fill out. Over all this place stinks.

Advice to Management

Major pay raise! No driver should run the way we have to for that low of pay. Stay with the 10 speeds and get rid of the dang automatics! And get something besides an international or a freoghtliner in 10 speeds because with two people in a truck there hardly any room in the truck.

"Worst pay in the country"

Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver

I worked at P.A.M. Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Equipment, was the only good part of my experience. The rest of the company is garbage. Do not expect a paycheck over 500.00 bucks

Cons

They try to rope you into a contract for a year, of which you must team for at least 50k miles. Now that isn't that bad right? Well.... If you get loads it isn't that bad. We sat more than we ran. It took 4 months to hit 50k miles running as a team. They have the lowest pay in the country for drivers and they WILL treat you like garbage. You are just a butt in a seat to them. No pay, No miles, No sleep (when you are running). They will lie to your face about how much you will make. They say "you can make up to 50,000 dollars your first year"! Total bulls*×$. You will be lucky to make 25,000. Run! Run fast and hard away from this failure of a company.

Advice to Management

Close your doors.

"More companies offer better pay"

I worked at P.A.M. Transportation full-time

Pros

Well, at least they offer schooling for your CDL but C1 is a joke of a schooling pressuring you and stressing you out military style.

Cons

Bad pay, poor terminal maintenance, DMs are rushing you If they don't leave you without work for days.

Advice to Management

Better pay, better trucks, better terminals.