P.C. Richard & Son Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gary Richard

Pros
  • Richard & Son is a great family owned and operated company that invests back into the sales people and the community (in 6 reviews)

• Great company to work for, very family orientated (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Grow up people - you can do alot worse things to make money then having to work on holidays and long hours (in 17 reviews)

• long hours no overtime, old outdated broken merchandise, sleazy con men sales people, verbal abuse from management, old POS system, discrimination (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great"

I worked at P.C. Richard & Son part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company to work for, very family orientated.

Cons

Long Hours and a lot of holiday work as to be expected.

2. "Sales"

I worked at P.C. Richard & Son full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, family owned & operated. Great management & competitive pay!

Cons

Literally only downside would be the long hours.

3. "Not bad"

Former Employee - Sales Counselor in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Counselor in Bronx, NY

I worked at P.C. Richard & Son (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative, always learning and you decide what you make by selling more

Cons

Becomes monotonous as a result . Some times customer reject you

Advice to Management

They should give a base salary for commission sales

5. "sales"

Current Employee - Sales Person in Deer Park, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Person in Deer Park, NY

I have been working at P.C. Richard & Son full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ive been with P.C. Richard & Son for 29 years . I started out as a stock person earning $5 dollars and hour I was given an opportunity by our sales president Todd to become a sales person. Todd promised me that this would be a great direction in my life. He was right. Now I make almost $200k a year and have a lucrative 401k plan. P.C. Richard & Son is a great family owned and operated company that invests back into the sales people and the community. We have a very high level on training and have many opportunities to expand ourselves within the company. I would highly recommend anyone looking to start a career to come join our great team and become part of the Richard family.

Cons

There is no downfalls to speak of. P.C. Richard & Son invests back into the employees. The harder you work the more success you will have.

Advice to Management

All of the managers have a high level of training from the district managers and sales trainers. They are here to make sure that the sales people and customers are taken care of and treated equally.

6. "sales counsler"

Current Employee - Sales Counselores in Southampton, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Counselores in Southampton, NY

I have been working at P.C. Richard & Son (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with the company for 21 years. I have always been able to support my family in a comfortable manor. family oriented closed thanksgiving, xmas , and easter. when my son was diagnosed autistic 5 years ago I was told by the Richard family that I could have what ever time I needed to attend my sons needs. it is a great place to work and succeed.

Cons

with all retail sales positions there are a lot of hours to be worked. but at pc Richard they are flexible with the time you need off.

Advice to Management

keep leading us forward. don't forget what has gotten us this far. keep putting the time into new employee's so our future will be protected.

7. "Everything everyone else has spoken on here is SO TRUE!"

Former Employee - ACE Sales Counselor in Carteret, NJ
    Former Employee - ACE Sales Counselor in Carteret, NJ

I worked at P.C. Richard & Son full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management sometimes when they weren't acting, greeted you and said hello and by your name and treated sometimes like an actual human being and same with coworkers.

Cons

I was let go at the end of the day by two managers after making me work the whole day making me go thinking as if like nothing happened till the very end of the day for customer service when pulling me aside addressing the issues. I was working as an Ace associate for an minimum wage hourly plus commission. I was one of the people responsible with him for doing freight Tuesday and Friday, tagging incoming freight with prices, putting it out on the floor after looking it up in the system or putting the remainder in the stock room, etc., etc. and price changes around the floor. Clean the floor clean, neat and maintaining safety and most importantly customer service. The company stresses no overtime, yet they schedule me before my meal breaks for 39 hours a week and it ends up being 36 and a half to 37 hours a week after meal breaks.I am grateful for the accommodating of the bus. I wouldn't have gotten a hourly raise had I been there longer after a year and any extra money would be from the commission I made would just barely just to make up hourly wages lost and maybe transportation costs per month, which I made me lose incentive quickly to give it a chance or go further with this company. I made 4600 my first 3 and a half weeks from from July July 6th to 31st and 5000 in lesser time with 11 days left in the month from August 1st to the 20th when let go with 11 days left had they not let me go & even though I didn't have a lot of credit cards since you ask when prompted by management and the system for preapproval and they still let me go? This company still stresses and you will hear it if you don't meet expectations like I didn't like not at least once credit card a day, covering and exceeding your draw, etc. Even if I had been there a year. I will be lucky if my commission alone after taxes covers my monthly bus pass that it I use to get to and from work and but no hourly rate increase a year sealed it for me. The company tries to make you believe that you can make good money during training and on the floor, but only top selling associates do especially if they have their own clientele base and all the managers and HR try to make you believe into thinking the same during training. They pride in taking competitors down Crazy Eddie, Tops, etc. in training, but if they are not careful, they will soon join them, especially with other competitors being national, while they, PC Richard are only tri-state regional only. I felt there was no way in moving up while working there. On the sales floor and training room, your trained to be pushy commissioned salesman with a draw and speaking from experience from what I've seen like the full fledged commission ones to push items that you might not need. Like if you just came in for a television, they push items you might not want, like credit cards, extended warranties, generation cables, etc. This job is not for me and not for everybody! Be warned before taking the ACE or full commissioned job with this company before accepting any offer this company.

Advice to Management

Learn manners, learn business ethics and reprimand in private instead of on the sales floor embarrassing the associate in front of fellow coworkers and customers where everyone can see it, also business ethics and learn to respect all of your associates and others under you just as you, yourself would want to be treated and you'll get respect back! Just because your in a higher position of an assistant, actual store manager or district manager doesn't mean you can bully those beneath you, take advantage of your higher position over someone else and you go think you can get away with it.

8. "Unifying Morale from the Senior Management to the showrooms"

I worked at P.C. Richard & Son full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company culture promoted from the top. Gregg and senior management always made you feel good when leaving a corporate meeting. I worked for a couple great showroom managers that knew how to drive business and get the best out of their employees as well. A number of my co workers genuinely enjoyed solving people's problems and wanted to help in any way they could.

Cons

Getting that inspiring feeling of the company culture down to the showrooms can be a bit of a challenge. In the showrooms I worked in, it always got lost at the middle management/DM level.

Advice to Management

Look for people that embody the company culture in middle management and help get them to pass that inspiration down to the showroom level. This in addition to a DM that can drive numbers across a district. The two DMs that oversaw my district used a more negative, verbally coercive management style that did not make employees feel good about their jobs. This hurt the company and the morale.

9. "Light work"

Pros

Easy Going, Customers can get rude but every call can be controled

Cons

Not much just need better pay

10. "Good place to get started on sales"

Pros

Good opportunity if you are good at sales, great place to learn if not

Cons

Work holidays and store opens sundays and nights

"Poor Management"

Former Employee - Sales in Farmingdale, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in Farmingdale, NY

Pros

Good core group of employees

Cons

Unqualified Managers running the show
    Little chance of advancement unless your last name is Richard
    Managers are bullies who do not appreciate hard working associates

Advice to Management

Understand the importance of your employees. They are the ones on the front line working hard for the success of the organization. Hold managers accountable especially in departments that have a revolving door.