P2 Energy Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
P2 Energy Solutions CEO Scott Lockhart
Scott Lockhart

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There is a good chance yet for P2 to reinvent itself and build new strength in the oil and gas market (in 8 reviews)

• Good work environment with friendly people (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • As well as zero desire to invest in any industry other than oil and gas (in 7 reviews)

• Have not had much in the way of interaction with senior management (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Positive place"

I have been working at P2 Energy Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great, wellness program, RTD pass, and great PTO package.

Cons

Pay can be below market

Advice to Management

Keep communicating openly and working on P2 Way

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at P2 Energy Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1) The executive leadership, since I have been here has been top notch. We recently hired a new CEO and he seems to be very proactive and is targeting a High Performance Culture in the company. This is a huge morale booster.

2) The employees at the company are extremely intelligent and determined which makes you do your job better.

3) My managers and my team members encourage me to do a better job.

4) Definitely better PTO and HSA program than most companies.

5) Great location, flexible working hours and also work from home option

Cons

1) The existing internal processes within the company need to be worked on.

2) More transparency and communication is needed across all the different departments.

3) Pay is below market, but not by a lot.

Advice to Management

1) Focus on employee retention. It is understandable that salaries are lower because of the health of the oil & gas market, but then substitute them with other benefits like phantom stock options or adjusting bonus % or merit %.

2) Need a clear career progression process. This is again important for employee retention.

3. "No way out..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at P2 Energy Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, good compensation, market has opportunity

Cons

No way to grow with current investors

Advice to Management

don't really have any good advice. It's a tough situation.

"Who runs this place?"

Current Employee - Withheld in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Withheld in Denver, CO

I have been working at P2 Energy Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pros change depending on the region / country you work in. Despite the title there are many pros about the P2 Way. Some offices in different countries are relaxed and have nice people. Many build a cooperative culture with social events.

Cons

The "No Compete" clause will lock you out of working in a similar industry for a period of time when you eventually leave P2. It is encouraged to review that clause before you sign, especially if you work in the US.

Many people complain that they do not get paid properly or on time. Or, the right amount.

There is a general lack of leadership. In the last 3 years there have been 4 CEO changes . (5 if you include a temporary board member while they figured out how to manage the portfolio).

Unfortunately, as a result P2 are employing, and overpaying new executives who have no experience in the industry. Remember, P2 is owned by an equity company so it is only 1 portfolio of many.

Attrition - As a result of the above people are leaving P2 because they are either tired of the lack of leadership, the way they are treated, or they just don't believe that an equity company can constantly shrink P2 resources and still flip it for a profit.

Advice to Management

Hire people who know the industry
    Pay people on time and correctly
    Consider the market
    Don't let execs fire good people just so they meet EBITDA target and get compensated
    Don't let services teams get measured on utilization alone. A project that runs over budget can still provide a bonus to that worker, that's poor management!
    Monitor flights for execs if there they gain personal tax benefits for flying out of country, remember it still affects your EBITDA.

"BE CAREFUL what you sign on for!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX

I worked at P2 Energy Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

co-workers who worked long hours with me to get a project complete. We were a team and always encouraged one another.

Cons

Upper Management is very Shady - they say one thing and mean something different, sometimes you didn't get paid on time (4 weeks late at most), you have a non-compete clause when you sign on and if they let you go it's hard to find another job in the same field. If you don't sign the document you can't work for them. The non-compete is a trap BE CAREFUL!! This is a huge company and not able to work for one of there clients or competitors is pretty much my entire career. They have taken my career away from me.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and contractors. They deserve respect!

6. "Not sure what to think"

I have been working at P2 Energy Solutions full-time

Pros

I really like what P2 Energy solutions has to offer. I like where they are trying to go... and for the most part people are very helpful. It is an extremely quiet environment. Not a lot of interaction.

Cons

People offer to help, but when you take them up on it, the look you get is priceless, like wait... I really don't have the time to help you. Pretty funny. Last minute strategy. There's plenty of time to get things done, but there are certain people that stand in your way.

Advice to Management

Let your employees hit the ground running. Don't try to hinder them in the process. And definitely listen to what they have to say.

"Great people, poor salaries"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at P2 Energy Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

P2 has some awesome people to work with! I'm constantly impressed by my colleagues and the dedication they put in their jobs. Benefits are decent, and the downtown Denver location is convenient.

The leadership have some great ideas about where to take the software and what technologies to use.

Cons

Pay is far below market. Even in an aggressively low unemployment rate for skilled workers, bonuses and pay raises have been underwhelming.

Despite great ideas, directives are half baked and management keep changing their minds.

Even with all of that, the worse part is the terrible lack of communications between departments. It feels like everyone operates in their own silos and don't realize the cascading effect their changes can have on other departments in the company.

Advice to Management

Honestly, the CEO has the right ideas here. Focus on improving employee retention to keep the skilled people with P2 and work on collaboration across the entire organization.

P2 Energy Solutions Response

May 4, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

We really appreciate your comments and recognition of the positive direction we are moving towards! We are working hard on building a competitive compensation program and improving communications... More

"Honest Review - Terrible Place to Work and Extremely Overwhelming"

Pros

Most employees are friendly and great to get along with. Great managers. Potential to make long-time friends and connections here. Great 401k and health benefits. There is a lot of diversity amongst co-workers. Generous vacation time. Office looks nice and modern. Fun company social events -- Christmas/Bowling Parties, etc. Ping-pong table. Great HR. Offers opportunity to gain experience if you are entry-level.

Cons

Working with difficult personalities from the Denver office, who will pass the buck as much as possible. Denver headquarters has a "angry" culture. I think several of the bad reviews posted recently, especially the ones entitled "horrible,” "Potential to be...," and “Complete Waste of Time” hit the mark.

As a result, the following corporate expectations and culture extends over to all offices:

Extremely high-workload. Poor work-life balance.

Extremely disorganized. In order to figure out what's going on, you often have to track down at least 5 different people.

Large projects on dropped onto people at the last minute who already have an extremely high workload.

Processes change at the last minute and are often implemented poorly without consulting those that work on the process. This leads to running into difficult roadblocks when something that was not planned or discussed with the people it affected arises.

Extreme micromanagement. You must record everything you do, down to the hour, down to even 15 minute increments. Even if this is done perfectly, you will be criticized and questioned about why something takes so long, and pressured to put in a lower number of hours. This makes working on anything a chore because it must be documented in at least 3 different places in a very haphazard way. You will be criticized by higher management if you work overtime and pressured to lower project hour estimates, and you will be criticized if you do not complete the unreasonable workload (which requires overtime to produce reasonable quality work).

You will be expected to do the work of not only 2 people, but sometimes 3-5. 50-70 hour weeks sometimes the norm.

VERY poor planning. Employees are often blindsided by major new products to build on very short notice with less resources, with little to no appreciation for extended hours and getting these difficult targets done.

A constant "do more with less" culture extended with little appreciation for those doing the work.

A constant feeling of under-appreciation and being overwhelmed. Even if you perform at a level that is exemplary, you will be made to feel that you are not doing enough, and pressured to take on even more.

More and more executive hires, while the actual workforce that builds and supports the actual products is slashed and continually expected to work on even more products than is possible.

Several difficult, hard personalities (esp. from Denver office) to work with that are not let go because they are favorited. These personalities are rude, constantly deflect work to others, and/or are extremely difficult to work with.

Advice to Management

I agree with another review, perhaps it would be best to bring in an impartial third-party to evaluate what is actually going on at the company, such as who is helping it profit and who is allowing it to grow. Some of your best, intelligent workers are not loud, arrogant, or boastful, they are humble and quiet, and there are several innovative engineers that bring innovation and revenue to your products that you are consistently overlooking. They work smart AND hard. Please stop rewarding those who speak the loudest and just simply bully others into doing their work for them. Some of these people need to be let go, but have not been simply because everything is so disorganized and no one really knows who is working on what.

P2 Energy Solutions Response

Apr 3, 2017 – Vice President, Human Resources

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your opinions and let us know how we are doing. Our employees consistently tell us that great people work at P2 Energy and they feel very connected... More

"It's Okay Here..."

I have been working at P2 Energy Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great stepping stone to gain experience and bulk up resume.

Cons

Lots of upper management/executive changes.
    Lots of office politics.

"Software Engineer"

I have been working at P2 Energy Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pto, flexible hours, work from home

Cons

A lot married couples work together creating unfair favortism. Old coworkers don't want change and will do anything from hiding SOPs, tell you have bad of an employee you are, giving you projects that they only have info about then leave for vacation and up to trying to get you fired because you're outsourcing there job.

Advice to Management

If you don't want to go bankrupt by the end of 2018. Please retire the dinasaurs and hire some freshouts to build new software on the latest frameworks and java languages. Hold current employees accountable for there negative actions and replace the ancient database with sql.