PA Leadership Charter School Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jim Hanak

1. "Great place"

I worked at PA Leadership Charter School full-time

Pros

It's great place to work

Cons

None. Great place to work.

2. "Marketing Assistant"

Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in West Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in West Chester, PA

I have been working at PA Leadership Charter School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive work environment, Hands-on administration

Cons

The cyber environment is constantly changing, but PALCS is always ahead of the curve

3. "Leadership Center Project Coordinator"

Current Employee - Teacher in West Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Teacher in West Chester, PA

I have been working at PA Leadership Charter School full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, good pay, collegial work environment

Cons

Unfortunately, technology driven companies do not do a good job of assigning work loads. They are always balancing new technology with individual ability and aptitude.

Advice to Management

Pick a systemic technology learning platform, and resist change until an annual evaluation.

"Charter School World"

I worked at PA Leadership Charter School full-time

Pros

The people you work with there are all teachers who are willing to go the extra mile to help their kids. Everyone was very kind and the work environment was laid back.

Cons

Uncertainty of the school's position especially with the local politics and the NCLB Act. No real room for growth as the school's budget can be limited from time to time.

"Full time employee"

Pros

I like the flexible schedule, the benefit package, hardworking teachers and administrators.

Cons

Changing technology makes for a need to constantly learn new methods of instruction.

7. "PALCS really does make it possible!"

Pros

I am a PALCS staff member. From my first day on, I witnessed not only PALCS’s commitment to serving our students and families according to their unique needs and situations but also to giving each employee a unique opportunity in a unique educational setting. Each day I have come into work, I still see PALCS cultivating the individual and providing an environment (both professional and educational) that produces personal growth and success. No, I cannot say that PALCS compares to traditional schools due our school’s cyber nature and authorized charter, but our services and options benefit those who cannot blossom to their full potential in traditional margins.

Brought into the school’s booming success from day one, I can tell that PALCS is doing really well. I know that enrollment is already up by 10% for next school year. And, I understand that PALCS provided wage increases to all and back bonuses to many employees this spring. Overall, I am thrilled to belong to and participate in PALCS’s effort to keep our school a progressive, proactive, inspiring, and enriching educational venture for all of our members—staff, students, and families included.

Cons

I know that no workplace is without fault or problems, and PALCS is no exception. We’ve suffered hard times due to economic downturn, legislative cuts, and academic fluctuations, but we do the best we can as a non-profit educational organization to meet and exceed the needs of our PALCS family. From my experience, my co-workers make each individual—a student, teacher, child, parent, assistant, or director—their priority, pursuit, and passion.

Advice to Management

Whether someone is a part of faculty or family, keep helping each individual to reach his or her personal goals and potential. Continue to foster enrichment and betterment for each individual and our community. Strive for the friendly and flourishing atmosphere that we’ve achieved each school year thus far.

"Funny how positive reviews come on the heals of negative ones, hmm?"

Former Employee - Employee in West Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Employee in West Chester, PA

I worked at PA Leadership Charter School full-time

Pros

Pro: Working for this school makes you question yourself in terms of future goals, emotional and mental breaking points, and how much you can turn a blind eye to in order to get a paycheck.

Cons

1. This business is HORRIBLE at financial management. Dont blame the accounts payable employee - they pay what they are told they are allowed to pay, and then have to deal with all the calls from vendors demanding payments.

2. Employees and students are replaceable - that is the overarching truth for this place.

3. Management deludes themselves in believing that it is only a handful of employees who are unhappy or angry.

Advice to Management

No advice. You've been given the advice before by others, and don't pay any mind to it.

"Grateful I got out when I did..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, PA

I worked at PA Leadership Charter School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is very hard to find anything positive to say about PALCS, unless you consider adding to your resume a positive. If you need a job, and I mean, NEEEEED a job that can get you over the hump until something better comes along, then hey, go for it.

Cons

I spent several years at PALCS and watched how the wheel turned. Please note, I was not a teacher, I was support staff. Bills never got paid on time, meaning your selection of vendors to use was limited. Getting what you needed to get your job done had it's moments. Sometimes, you got what you needed, other times you waited months upon months.

Morale was at an all time low when I left. Many good employees who topped out on the payscale were let go. Others who were FOJs (friends of Jim), were allowed to continue working, yet their roles were reduced. Not their pay, just their roles. It became very evident that it was who you knew and who you were friends with to keep you employed and out of the crosshairs of management.

Management is weak there. The wrong people are in the wrong positions and the people that can make a difference aren't allowed to. Teachers are overworked and are viewed as replaceable. Support staff, for the most part, do not have the proper training or experience to complete their jobs.

Sadly, all the good ones left or were fired. There's a general feeling that there is no heart left.

Advice to Management

Can't say anything that hasn't been said already: Open your eyes and see the good that is being squashed by the bad.

"RUN-DO NOT- take a job there!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, PA

I worked at PA Leadership Charter School full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I'm hard pressed to come up with Pros. It used to be a nice place-NOT anymore, that changed years ago.

Cons

Management is awful, incompetent and does not know what they are doing. No raises, work is piled on and they look to get rid of those that want to do a good job and then praise the bottom feeders. Employees leave in droves when they see the insanity that pervades the school, it's management and the 'rules' they go by (that change at the drop of a hat)!

Advice to Management

Communication, yearly raises, get rid of the dead-beats, pay attention to what REALLY goes on within the school rather than have your head so far up the political Netherlands. Doing so does NOTHING for the school and you let idiots run the place and have let so, so, many good people go and/or you got rid of them. The school is crumbling right under your feet, the decline is so rampant.

11. "Having a wonderful time working here."

I have been working at PA Leadership Charter School full-time

Pros

Great staff. Wonderful energy. Always put the best interests of the students first. It seems a few disgruntled people are trying to soil what is an amazing organization.

Cons

Every organization can use some improvements and PALCS is no different. I expect changes. It seems some of the posters do not.

Advice to Management

Be more visible. Especially those who are not the senior leadership staff.