PACCAR Reviews | Glassdoor

PACCAR Reviews

Updated July 18, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Getting to work on state of the art trucks is great and there is a great work life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Good work life balance and very strong stable company (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • At times, work life balance was a challenge (in 23 reviews)

• Old fashioned, male dominant, strict dress code (in 27 reviews)

"Horrible managers. They put people in positions by who they want, not what they know."

Current Employee - General in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - General in Renton, WA

I have been working at PACCAR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hours and flexibility. They work with your schedule when you need it. However they look down on you when you are sick.

Cons

Managers are very stupid with little to no experience. A lot of favoritism and your ideas and opinions don't matter.

Advice to Management

Allow people with experience to become successful

2. "Awesome Company"

Former Employee - Mechanic in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Mechanic in Denton, TX

I worked at PACCAR (More than a year)

Pros

Good Pay. Great People. High Morale!

Cons

Not huge on training - they hire other peoples well trained HR Assets lol

"Corporate office"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at PACCAR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job security if you are willing to go along with the "Paccar Way". If want the same job in 10 years that you have the day you were hired, with nothing changing, it's the place for you.

Cons

Old fashioned, male dominated, old-boys company. 1960s-1980s formal dress required every day ("casual" day literally means men don't have to wear a tie with their suit). No room for movement or upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Lighten up

"Very old fashioned"

Current Employee - Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at PACCAR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people here are nice and there are events to the to keep you engaged, but they really don't listen to employees.

Cons

Very old fashioned culture. Men must wear business suits and shave their faces. Walking into the building is like stepping back in time. Corporate events look like funeral gatherings.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees to know how to dress and look sharp. You may find people get happier when they are allowed to work comfortably.

"ITD - Information Technology Devolvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I have been working at PACCAR full-time

Pros

Great place to retire.
    Excellent benefits.
    Stable.

Cons

No upward mobility.
    Lagging behind most of the modern developed world - Google for images of the corporate office.
    Because of the previous point, PACCAR is in a rush to play catch up or make appearances to playing catch up. This has resulted in an erratic approach to most projects and implementation.
    The Agile process implemented at PACCAR has been subverted into a form of micromanaging.

Advice to Management

Toss senior management out and start from scratch.
    They've been there too long and have become myopic.

6. "PACCAR"

Current Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at PACCAR full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Longterm decision making provides stability. Loyalty to employees

Cons

Culture does not fit everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep the business model..Quality, Integrity and Innovation

"You don't want to work here. Really."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at PACCAR full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

401K contribution. Health insurance.

Cons

Conservative, micro managers, discrimination, lack of training and development, tiny raises every 18 months, no career path, good ol' boys environment, men cannot have facial hair if they want to be a manager!

Advice to Management

Welcome to 2017, please leave 1960 behind. Your workforce is old, retiring and no one but imported employees from India and Mexico seeks employment at your company. Maybe you might wonder why rather than the pompous attitude about how great this company was - when Chuck Piggott ran it. Years ago. The Corporate headquarters building says it all.

"Loved my job until I told my boss I was pregnant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at PACCAR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They really value education, which is about the only good thing I can say about them. They match up to 50 per cent of your tuition for your masters degree or continuing ed (buyer beware, there are tax implications) and you can't get promoted past a certain point until you get your MBA or similar. They value hard academic work.

Cons

I was bullied into quitting. Where do I begin? I loved my job, until I came out as pregnant. Then things got really difficult for me. Management was careful not to do anything actually illegal, but anyone would feel bullied under these circumstances. For example, I was required to take my (TIMED) breaks down in the basement. I had difficulty walking due to my condition, but that didn't matter. Break started when I left my cubicle and I had better be back after 10 minutes. The scheduled lunch hour was exactly the same. I didn't understand why I was not allowed to eat at my desk, while other people were. I was also not allowed to keep personal effects on my desk, or anything. No stacked papers, not even work related. My area had to be kept clear.

Additionally, I got into trouble if I was ever late. I'm not talking 1 hour late, but maybe 10 minutes; the amount of time it took me to walk from my car and void my bladder on a particularly bad day for traffic. No leniency.

My manager clearly did not trust me to get my work done and decided that it should take me exactly 8 hours to do my work, so I even had to send an email in the morning proving that I arrived to work on time (when the manager wasn't there).

The dress code had no leniency for pregnancy, either. That meant I had to buy new clothes often, and couldn't take my jacket off even sitting in my cubicle (because I might show my lady-ness). The dress code specifically says that women cannot wear tight fitting clothing that shows their body--good luck finding professional wear that doesn't show your female body shape while pregnant! The icing on the cake was when they asked me for a proof of pregnancy note from my doctor; I was 8 months pregnant. Take a look at me.

The policies also systematically discriminate against pregnant women. Need to take off early for a prenatal appointment? Better get your manager's permission first. That also comes out of your sick days. Your FIVE DAYS of sick day per year. I had completely blown through my sick leave before the end of my pregnancy. And no, they don't have any maternity leave policies.

This job was the most constricting and anxiety-ridden salaried job I have ever worked. I think I was treated better working fast food job in high school.

Advice to Management

Gee, why do you even hire employees if you can't trust them to do their jobs? I wasted about 5 hours per week typing up weekly status reports, going to weekly 1 on 1 meetings, 1 over 1 meetings, and department meetings. What a drag. My advise would be to trust your employees to do their jobs. Most of us have masters degrees, we are grown ups. We don't need your permission to leave early to go to the doctor as we are smart enough not to let there be schedule conflicts with customers. Just lay off a bit; you might find it makes your job that much easier.

"Work Life balance at expense of career Advancement"

Current Employee - Contract Administrator in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Contract Administrator in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at PACCAR (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stability, very professional, pension, 5% matching 401k, easy to bond with coworkers, great work life balance.

Cons

Pay, vacation, benefits, lack of accountability, traditional company that doesn't change easily,

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, do a better job at retaining high performers, do a better job of training and offering job progressions, have annual cost of living adjustments that are directly tied to an employee's performance appraisal.

"PACCAR"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at PACCAR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of upward mobility. High turnover means that the company rewards you for staying around. Your coworkers will be pretty great on a whole. Also PACCAR will probably be around for 100 more years (and probably in the same building)

Cons

Executive management is out of touch. Some things will seem draconian at first. Pay is lower than average.