PACCAR Reviews | Glassdoor

PACCAR Reviews

Updated May 28, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Getting to work on state of the art trucks is great and there is a great work life balance (in 32 reviews)

• Good work life balance and very strong stable company (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • At times, work life balance was a challenge (in 23 reviews)

• Men with facial hair were forced to shave because hairless faces will boost investor's confidence (in 27 reviews)

"Solid Company That Needs to Adapt Culturally"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at PACCAR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company is run well and employees some smart and hard working people. Have been able to weather downturns in the economy with strong focus on being efficient and investing in technology

Cons

Culturally the company is behind with the times. Professional attire required in the corporate office regardless of position. When it comes to perks, flexible work arrangements, etc. they don't seem to realize its the 2000s. Good boys vibe from C-Suite, and at times seems like they still think its the 1970s.

Advice to Management

Need to be more flexible and understand what is important to those born in the late 1970s and on. Business professional attire required for all employees at Corporate, and you are located in the Seattle area?

"Simply Refuses to Modernize"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at PACCAR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Market share has not gone down yet, despite the lack of innovation and technology. The people who work there are nice, but no one gets too committed to a company that doesn't respect employee needs.

Cons

Very little done to keep employees happy. Vacation is 2 weeks. No paid leave for new mothers or fathers. Full formal attire for employees. They still force men to shave their faces. Company meetings look like funeral gatherings. They are out of step in the market and in the area.

Advice to Management

Look around. No other companies run like this any more. Update the systems and listen to the employees. For God's sake stop making the men shave.

"Opportunity to do great things"

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at PACCAR full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love our product. Our trucks are really cool. They are beautiful, massive, and awesome. I have worked at Kenworth, a division of PACCAR, for my entire 22 year professional career and I love this place. So of course, I am completely biased. One of the things that I enjoy about working here is seeing the new designs that I work on rolling down the highway and being a part of building and improving the lives of others, and making the world that we live in a better place.

Our customers are great. There is no better person to tell you how good something is or how bad it sucks than a truck driver. It is brutal honesty, and I wouldn’t want it any other way!

I have to say that one of the best things about this company is that we are big enough to do great things, but small enough that we as employees can really make a difference. We work “lean”, meaning that we are asked to do a lot, making it very challenging but also providing a lot of opportunity. I frequently work extra hours and it has been recognized and rewarded. I took advantage of the tuition partial-reimbursement to complete a Master’s Degree which has helped me strengthen my skill-set and I have applied what I learned from both the coursework and my thesis research to what I do everyday.

I really enjoy the people that I work with and their passion for what we do. One of my fellow co-workers, a group supervisor, recently shared his philosophy of managing his team. He said he doesn’t expect perfection, and knows that people will not get it right every time. He continued by saying what really matters is what they do when something goes wrong. I share his philosophy and believe that it is one of the things that makes us a great company. If things don’t go right we dive in and we make it work.

Cons

PACCAR corporate culture can be bruising to employees based on my own experience. A few years ago I was made aware that one of our senior executives stated that my hair style conflicted with PACCAR’s image and that he wanted something done about it. I’m a 47 year old man and I wear a long neatly braided ponytail. I reported this incident to our HR office and was told “that’s just the way he is” and I was encouraged by HR to leave the building and hide when the executive visited our office. After about seven months of this degrading arrangement I formally submitted a written request for equal treatment and access to the workplace that my fellow employees had. Upon doing so I was warned by the HR office that by making a formal request it would be “career limiting” to me, that it would also negatively impact the General Manager at our location, and that I did not have HR support. Since that meeting I have feared losing my livelihood and have been concerned that by standing up for my beliefs and morals that I was doing damage to leadership team members that I look up to and admire.

I was also among a group of about 30-40 men at our location that were abruptly told to shave our beards. In my case, having worn a beard for almost a decade, I was told that I was violating a policy that had always been in-place, but that had not been enforced. I was given 15 minutes to leave the office, asked to go home and complete my workday remotely using VPN access, and told not to return to work until I had shaved my face. In the few minutes that I had before I left the office I sent an email to the HR manager stating that this policy conflicted with my spiritual beliefs. When I returned to work the next morning I took a signed copy of a request for accommodation, and was told by the HR office “Good luck”. At that point I was in a state of complete confusion, unsure of my status, and feared for my job and my future.

I have discreetly reached out to PACCAR Leadership over the past few years to advocate for change and for an increased respect for diversity but it has been unproductive.

Occasionally we, as employees, are asked to “expend” our earned vacation in a manner that will benefit the accounting books so that it will show a more favorable financial condition. I will bluntly state that “I AM AN ENGINEER” and this is completely mind boggling. In my world, once something has left the “dotted line” that surrounds a control volume, it is gone. You don’t get to count it again!

Despite my comments here in the “con” section, I do have a very positive outlook for the future of PACCAR. I recently observed an effort by our employees to take a critical look at our work environment and to develop recommendations for improvement. It was inspiring to see the new generation of employees collaborating alongside our tenured staff, and I am particularly impressed with our emerging leaders that are challenging corporate dogma, and are doing so with hard data and a systematic transparent approach.

If you are considering a career with us I encourage you to do it. Bring your toughness, your willingness to never give up, and come join us.

Advice to Management

Allow our male employees to have facial hair (beards). Changing this policy will be a show of respect for diversity and will improve morale. Encourage our employees to use their vacation time when it provides them the most benefit, so that they can experience joy and best manage the challenges and tragedy that they face. I believe strongly that these recommendations will improve productivity, help us attract and retain good people, and are in the best interest of our shareholders and our customers.

"This place is sucking the life out of me"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Algona, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Algona, WA

I have been working at PACCAR (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a stable place to work. There are some very knowledgable people who work here. I appreciate those who have trained and helped me. It's very hard to come by and it's unfortunate they are not appreciated or noticed by this company.

Cons

Every position feels like two jobs. They know they need to hire more people but are too cheap to do it. Management plays favorites. You will not move up unless you play buddy-buddy with upper management. They promote people who don't deserve it and don't know how to do the job. That or they "force" people to take job offers, it's "career suicide" if they decline. This doesn't help with morale. Gossip is everywhere and people don't know how to mind their own business. High turnover, low pay and benefits, a lot of unhappy people who want out.

6. "Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer in Mount Vernon, WA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Mount Vernon, WA

I worked at PACCAR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Zero Hierarchy. Young workforce fueling new ideas. Management open to ideas.

Cons

No Cons to point out. Keep up the great work.

Advice to Management

None.

"Stable company"

Current Employee - Domain Architect in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Domain Architect in Renton, WA

Pros

Work life balance is excellent. If you like a gray work environment this is the place to be. Ultra conservative company. Programmed 'fun' events several times a year if you can get out of meetings to attend.

Cons

Low pay for the industry, lean project resources ensure you can't focus in just one. Management top heavy. 'Agile' methodology is really not agile, just a way to give nonsensical kpis in a pretty graph to management. Management also knows they are always right.

Advice to Management

Wouldn't listen anyway.

8. "Great company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Good work life balance and very strong stable company

Cons

I don't have anything right now to share

"Too slow to adapt"

Current Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at PACCAR full-time

Pros

Very very slowly improving. The people you work with almost make it worth it.

Cons

Formal business attire. Men must be clean shaven. Company meetings look like a funeral. Vacation time is only 2 weeks for 5 years. No maternity or paternity leave.

Advice to Management

Our policies are not standard for our industry or our region. How can we have confidence that the company will adapt to a competitive market when we can't even adapt our workplace.

10. "Great Place to Start"

Former Employee - Associate Design Engineer in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Associate Design Engineer in Denton, TX

I worked at PACCAR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very interesting work (if you are in the right group and working for a good Group Lead). Legendary family picnic and many opportunities for your family to see what you do. Advice: Get all you can up-front because your next opportunity may not come before you are gone...

Cons

Minimal to no advancement opportunities and very low pay for engineers.

Advice to Management

Pay your design engineers what they are worth and you may keep a few good ones around. Have more frequent raises in engineering.

11. "Assistant controller"

Current Employee - Assistant Controller in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Controller in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at PACCAR full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Learning opportunity and overall responsibility given

Cons

Work life balance and overall compensation

Advice to Management

Stop acting like a small business and more like a fortune 200 company