PAE Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Nov 27, 2020

3.4
PAE Chief Executive Officer John Heller
John Heller
Pros
  • "It has good pay, Nice environment, and Good benefits(in 32 reviews)

• "Good management good people good benefit(in 19 reviews)

• Cons
  • "some upper management and their views(in 23 reviews)

• "Terrible benefits, bloated bureaucracy, low pay, toxic work environment(in 19 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of PAE and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 4.0

Good Stepping Stone

Feb 10, 2020 - Research Analyst in Winchester, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Great to gain experience -Great team -Productive and efficient work team -More casual work environment than many in the industry

Cons

-Upper management can seem disconnected/unaware -Paltry raise potential

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Its a job

Nov 27, 2020 - Welder Leader in Barstow, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good Schedule and work load

Cons

Lacked upper management quantity and organization

3. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Mech I

Oct 21, 2020 - Aircraft Mechanic in San Diego, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, good hours

Cons

Little upward movement. Upper management is not great.

4. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

No advancement/Low salary

Oct 15, 2020 - Administrative in Suitland, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great employees to work with.

Cons

Poor management. No diversity in upper management.

1 person found this review helpful
    5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Company was in major transition when I left. Very high turnover rates.

May 23, 2019 - General Clerk I in Lees Summit, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Most supervisors are very affable and willing to support their team to the best of their abilities. - Generally supportive and pleasant employees. Small teams and occasional fellowship activities allow opportunities to connect with coworkers. - Low stress, easy work. Doesn't take long to settle into a routine.

Cons

- Low base pay with no yearly raises. Only way to advance is to move to General clerk II and III, then management. - Supervisors are incredibly overworked and spread thinly. New hires are often left with little support. - Changed attendance and vacation policies a few times. The biggest change was the required use of available PTO before using sick days. - Mandatory overtime often left night shift working from 3:00 -12:00 am on Friday, only to start as early as 6:00 am Saturday. - Little to no explanation/support regarding the benefits package. Many employees were left confused or uninsured. - Very large disconnect between upper management and lower level employees. Poor communication resulted in slow process changes and minimal instruction. - Overall negative work environment with an incredibly high turnover rate. Most of my wave of hires had left before 1 year. - The work is often very repetitive and droll.

7 people found this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Worst company I've EVER worked for.

Jan 26, 2019 - General Clerk I in Overland Park, KS
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. Steady paycheck. Better than my old retail jobs where hours would get cut for the first quarter of the year. 2. More than the current federal minimum wage. I make $12.95/hr plus a $4/hr health and welfare benefit. However, don't count any of that $4/hr as actual income (see Cons). 3. My current supervisor is easy to work with and receptive to feedback and making any changes they can (their authority is extremely limited). 4. Great for people who like to work independently, with practically no responsibility or accountability. Once you're finished with training, you can listen to music or podcasts while you work. 5. Mandatory overtime is an easy way to get money if you have a flexible schedule.

Cons

1. The pay is rapidly becoming less competitive with other entry-level positions, with many retail/customer service/call center jobs paying $12-$16/hr. Also, there are no raises in the base pay. The only way to make more money is to get a promotion. 2. Health and Welfare dollars are a JOKE. They are marketed to you by the company as extra pay the government wants to give you. In reality, the company can and does pull the company cost of your insurance from your health and welfare dollars. When I didn't have insurance through the company, the $350 or so in health and welfare I'd get with each check was split evenly between a $2/hr cash-out and deposits into my 401K. Now that I have insurance through the company, I get just $80 per check in cash-out and NOTHING for my 401K. The difference? The company is pulling the $250 or so of THEIR contribution out of my health and wellness dollars, which seemed unjust until I looked at the laws governing the health and wellness dollars. 3. Relating to the health and welfare benefits: HR did a TERRIBLE job of explaining how these worked, and when everyone's health and wellness dollars were low in the first paycheck of the year, we were referred to corporate HR, who referred us to a benefits website that didn't work, and then we were given a number to call "if we were having problems" - despite widespread confusion among my coworkers. I had to look up the law on these dollars to realize that the company was legally stiffing us. 4. HR/upper management is practically inaccessible to clerks. They give you the run-around or talk down to you when you come to them with a problem, walking in with questions is highly discouraged (not that our HR gal is even in the building that often). 5. The time off policy SUCKS. I've worked there a year and get 40 whole hours per YEAR, and because we get no separate sick time everything comes out of that 40. They also force you to use all your PTO hours before you can take unpaid time. You get three unpaid "days" each calendar year but those "days" are any length of time on a given day. Need to go to the doctor and get off a couple hours early? If you take off for a couple hours and are out of PTO, you've just used one of your unpaid "days". At most of my other jobs, you get about 80 hours paid vacation either right away or you build up time with each paycheck. Here, you have to work at the company for something like 2 to 3 years before you get 80 hours. 6. Inconsistency in the rules for our process. The government has a pretty darn specific handbook for how we do our process. However, there is still a good bit of gray area. The QC team likes to act like all of the leads, supervisors, or even the day and night QC teams are all on the same page. The reality is, they aren't, and it makes it very confusing when you have a question and get different answers depending on which person you ask. If QC gives you an error in a gray area, there isn't really anything you can do about it - while there is a dispute process, it is opaque and seems very arbitrary. 7. Mandatory overtime requires a lot of flexibility, making it hard to have a 2nd job. Management typically does not make a decision on required OT hours for the month until after the month has started. Saturdays are usually open for overtime but whether the hour between shifts is available seems to depend on the whims of management. Sometimes every day between shifts is available, sometimes only every other week is available for each shift, sometimes they don't allow the hour between shifts at ALL so you MUST come in on Saturday. Keep in mind, too, that if you work extra hours on a week that contains a holiday, you will NOT be paid the overtime rate until you have reached 40 "regular" (non-holiday) hours. 8. No appreciation from upper management when clerk performance is good, and heavy pressure on the supervisors (which trickles down to the clerks) when performance is bad. We currently have the best quality percentage as a company that we've had in MONTHS and no kudos from upper management. All we hear is "production isn't high enough", "please come in when the roads are bad", etc. 9. Catty work environment, on days especially. I had someone sticking their nose into my business so badly that I found them reading my email after letting them use my computer when theirs "wasn't working." There are a lot of cliques and unhappy/miserable people who gossip constantly. All the bosses play favorites in one way or another. 10. Only meek people/doormats get promoted. Upper management slowly crushes out even the slightest bit of backbone in the supervisors. Upper management rules with an iron fist and does not want to be challenged, so if you like to rock the boat too much your promotion chances are about 0. 11. A result of 10, and the terrible management, is that real issues like racism, sexism, bullying, harassment, etc are not address; rather, they are brushed off and swept under the rug. Ask anyone who works here and they will have stories to tell. Some of the supervisors are so conflict avoidant, they do not address even relatively small conflicts and issues that turn into much bigger conflicts and issues with time. 12. Terrible work conditions have led to a revolving door of supervisors. I've had 6 different supervisors in the space of a year. Clerks are fleeing like it's a sinking ship too, so the rest of us have been forced to work mandatory overtime for months on end to make up for the short staff.

11 people found this review helpful
    7. 2.0

General Clerk

Oct 23, 2018 - General Clerk I in Lees Summit, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some good supervisors. Work is for the most part easy. Mandatory OT isn't too overbearing. Great benefits if you are single with no children.

Cons

Pay is drastically lower than most other government facilities / contractors. Very strict work environment. Most supervisors play favorites. Upper management refuses to listen to anyone. Benefits with a spouse or child is unreasonably priced.

8. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Easy money

Aug 13, 2018 - Shipper Packer/Material Handler in Overland Park, KS
      Business Outlook

Pros

The work is easy and there is a nice H and W program that the company is required to pay. It is easy and reliable money.

Cons

The benefits are so-so, the upper management undermine the staff and there is no communication what so ever. Unfortunately, upper management is so focused on the numbers that they don't take in consideration the job tasks as well as the compiling workload. Between underbidding the contract and getting dinged on making mistakes.

2 people found this review helpful
    9. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

PAE was a great place to work, but the lack of management and constant change made it difficult at times.

Dec 17, 2013 - Proposal Manager in Arlington, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

PAE has great talent in its people. I met and worked with individuals with exceptional knowledge in business development, contracting, and program operations and especially enjoyed my work with some of the O&M and logistics personnel working in places like Africa and Afghanistan.

Cons

From day one at PAE, there was a sever lack of management and direction. My hiring manager and Director left within two weeks of my hiring. At that point, we had a team of 12 individuals. Management was not replaced until almost a year later and by that time 7 of the 12 had left. From that time on, we went through two major changes in upper management and the staff suffered immensely. No one seemed to care.

2 people found this review helpful
    10. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

South Pole station an alcoholic's dream job

Jan 31, 2016 - Maintenance Supervisor in Centennial, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

The team I was on for my 12 month contract was second to nun. Everyone worked together to overcome some life threatening problems.

Cons

Management puts more time and effort into planning parties and social events. Alcohol is available and drank 24/7 on and off the job. Alcohol related problems are covered up for fear the NSF will make rules to remove it. You have upper management that runs the place like a frat party. They have forgot what they are down there for. To support science, research is at the bottom of the list. If your a drunk, than this may not be a con.

10 people found this review helpful