PAETEC Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
PAETEC President and CEO Tony Thomas
Tony Thomas

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good people but never felt like objectives were clearly spelled out (in 4 reviews)

• I have never felt like I could not balance life/work because of management style or company policies (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • no 401 match your killing yor employees comp plan reductions again lack of stock options grants management takes it for themselves (in 4 reviews)

1. "Sales at PaeTec (now Windstream)"

Former Employee - Sales in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Sales in Charlotte, NC

I worked at PAETEC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Local and fast growing company.

Cons

Publicly held and made abrupt and poor business decisions to meet financial earnings calls.

"great place to work"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Fairport, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Fairport, NY

Pros

great people, with a great deal of flexibility to allow for growth.

Cons

lack of communication between the levels of management

Advice to Management

more transparency into decisions made would be nice.

3. "Highly competent, dynamic and enjoyable"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Rochester, NY

Pros

PAETEC is a beautiful blend of passionate, competent culture with strong industry knowledge. Family is invited to all company events, and daily do's are often punctuated with fulfilling personal interaction. Service with a smile is an understatement!

Cons

Coming from a much larger software development department with my previous employer, the opportunities for promotion seem a tad limited, but the salary and benefits are amazing at all levels.

Advice to Management

Keep rocking the big picture scene! You guys have created an excellent, enjoyable culture based on a family-like level of care and personal service.

"This is an amazing company to work for!!!"

Former Employee - Order Processing Specialist in Voorhees, NJ
    Former Employee - Order Processing Specialist in Voorhees, NJ

Pros

I worked for this company couple of years ago. The management was great with keeping the company in shape. They give you amazing opportunities and recognize all your efforts!!

Cons

To work for this company you have to be on top of your work flow.. If no it will take you a lot of work and time to catch up..

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"PAETEC--a good place to work in transition that will take some time to work out."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

A great corporate culture built around people who work together and strive to offer exceptional service. The network is excellent and performs well.

Cons

The mergers have caused some indigestion and the economic climate has made the sale of their core products difficult. Pay is slightly lower than competitors but the culture is unbeatable.

Advice to Management

Get competitive with your payscales to retain top talent.

6. "LOVE THEM"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

Pros

Great work enviorment! People come to work to work and take responsibilty for thier clients

Cons

New merger with Windstream could possibly be the end of my position since they under staff and churn salesforce fast

Advice to Management

Reorganize your mangement and have Windstream really take advantage of smart hardworking people that could take your company to the next level. You need to adopt to the PAetec way because that's what customers want...we know we asked.

7. "Great Place to work"

Pros

Always a challenge but not over the top. Work balance is awesome, upper managment is always avaliable. Investment in the network and equipment to keep it going is top notch.

Cons

Comp was good before downturn since then 401K cost of living increase and other benifits have been reduced / eliminated.

Advice to Management

Salary and benifits are comming back slowly as fincials improve. Managment does what it can for the employees and communication is excellent

8. "Growing fast but still a great place to work"

Pros

Growth - The company is growing very fast. This growth will allow employees to venture into a lot of different areas.
    Employee focused - Decisions are still made with the employee in mind. Friday company call still occurs which is unheard of in most companies. My experience with management is they are very employee focused and will do whatever is needed to help balance work/outside life for an employee.

Cons

Growth- The fast growth has affected customers. The service end has taken a hit, but the company is focusing on fixing the issue.
    Compensation- When PAETEC started people accepted lower salaries to work there. Today it is different and management needs to understand the name brand of PAETEC isn't as strong as it used to be for potential new employees or existing employees. People won't necessarily stay

Advice to Management

Continue to learn from the kenan migration and take the next migration slower. Continue to focus on the employees and continue with the open communication.

"Great place to work. Best job I have had......So far"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive

Pros

I have been with PAETEC for three months, and so far this is the best job I have had. Why? 1) Co-workers here WANT to help you, very rare at other places I have worked, especially in sales; 2) Management wants to solve issues, not point fingers; 3) Ever worked anywhere where there is a planned CEO call every week? Even though Arunas has missed a couple, for obvious reasons being the CEO, he has stepped up and delivered news, and he is confident, he wants to succeed. You get a real sense that his attitude is "Let's do this. Let's do it right. We are the best, and if there is an area we are not the best, why not, and let's fix it"; 4) No micro management. Just do your job, make your quota, and move on to next month. And if you don't make your quota, why not and let's fix it; 5) My manager has asked me repeatedly, "what can I do to help you succeed?" AND THEN ACTUALLY DONE IT!; 6) Training is awesome! Just moved up the rankings another three spots to number 35 on Training Magazines top 125 in the world! 7) $65/month reduced medical for non-smokers, plus another $20/month if you complete the Wellness program. 8) Even in this economy the company is still acquiring. Two acquisitions since I started three months ago! 9) Stock program at 10% discount.

Could still be in the 'honeymoon' phase. Time will tell.

Cons

1) Currently there is no 401k match, but I think I heard it may be coming back; 2) Only $100 reinbursement for driving. So at 43cents per mile you cap out at 232 miles. Not much when a meeting is 80 miles round trip; 3) Internal sales system is a drag. You have to toggle between two different systems, and the functionality is horrendous! Not very user friendly.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you are doing, and remain dynamic. Bring back the 401k match. Continue to expand and partner. Address issues quickly.

10. "An excellent company"

Pros

PAETEC truly is one of the most customer and employee focused companies in telecom. In short, they practice what they preach.

Cons

PAETEC is a rapidly growing company, and consequently, continues to have a lot of change. That also equates to additional job opportunities.

Advice to Management

PAETEC management should continue to adhere to the values which have grown the company so quickly over the past 12 years.