PAREXEL Clinical Research Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
PAREXEL Chairman and CEO Josef H. von Rickenbach
Josef H. von Rickenbach

Pros
Cons
  • As a decentralized employee, work / life balance is sometimes a challenge (in 59 reviews)

• Only upper management seems to understand how it's supposed to work (in 30 reviews)

1. "Senior CRA"

Current Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PAREXEL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PAREXEL seems to hire very positive employee's and the overall environment is very supportive. The salaries are competitive with other CRO's and I think might be a bit higher once you're above the entry level position or coming in from another company.

Cons

It's a CRO so travel is the primary thing that creates CRA turnover. While they try to keep folks regionalized, it is a challenge for any CRO to do this consistently. However, they do listen to you when you are stretched too thin, but it often takes a long time to reduce the travel. As a CRA your performance is based on travel verses quality and that is a problem, but again, it's a CRO and I think that is the nature of the beast being a service industry provider. It's challenging to get everything done with the amount of travel required, this results in really good employee's often receiving the same annual increase as mediocre employee's and this does not result in positive incentives.

Advice to Management

Move towards getting closer to a real work/life balance environment and focus more on quality than metrics. CRA's have too many sites, as do the CMA's and it makes it very challenging to meet all study timelines when stretched so thin.

"Great salary and benefits"

Current Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate in Durham, NC

I have been working at PAREXEL full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great salary and benefits, continuing focus on "people strategy"

Cons

Lots of systems snd lots of change in those systems

Advice to Management

Keep up people strategy!

"Clinical Research Associate"

Former Employee - Clinical Research Associate I in Billerica, MA
    Former Employee - Clinical Research Associate I in Billerica, MA

I worked at PAREXEL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary was good. The most senior mgmt seem to think money will keep people despite the work environment. Training is also excellent.

Cons

Line managers across the board are terrible. There may be a few that are okay, but that is not the norm. They are negative and highly critical. Line managers should be helpful and supportive. PAREXEL management is a team of bullies. The company needs to clean house and start over.

Advice to Management

You will keep losing the best CRAs if you don't start treating them with respect and gratitude. You should be their allies. CRAs are the bread and butter of the company and shouldn't be treated like work horses. Shame on you.

"Positive changes happening with Clinops"

Former Employee - Clinical Monitoring Associate to Clinical Research Associate in Billerica, MA

I worked at PAREXEL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started at PXL about a year and a half ago. I was not happy for a long time because my manager was not engaged and my career was not moving forward. However, a few months ago there was a change in Clinops directors and the new Director has made extremely positive changes, including significantly higher salaries. I was also switched to a new manager who was very engaged in my career and was able to promote me to a CRA within a few days.

Cons

The cons at this point are that of any large company- there is a lot of turn around and staffing on projects doesn't always seem to make a lot of sense. I would go months without anything to do and then be working overtime for a few months. Additionally, as described above, your career with the company is very dependent on your manager.

Advice to Management

The changes that are being made are very positive and they have significantly improved the culture and attitude around the office. Although difficult to achieve it would be beneficial to have managers more on the same page

"A good CRO to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at PAREXEL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've never worked for a CRO that has better project management than PAREXEL. CRAs aren't "bounced around" here; when assigned to a project, I have remained on that project until completion. The Clinical Monitoring Associate position (kind of like in-house CRAs) is extremely helpful to the monitoring group. PXL promotes from within.

Cons

Project teams are spread out globally, so there is some frustration with time zones. There has been moderate management restructuring several times in the 3 1/2 years I've been with PXL, which leads to changes in line managers more frequently than I'd like.

Advice to Management

Pick a management structure and stick with it; it can be frustrating to switch line managers every year. Aligning decentralized CRA with line managers based on geographic location is much easier on CRAs than aligning based on projects.

"Could be better"

Current Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate in Waltham, MA

I have been working at PAREXEL (More than a year)

Pros

1. Good Benefits
    2. Compensation is up to market level.
    3. No Micro management

Cons

1. study managers are very disorganized
    2. disconnect between COLs/study managers and CRA. Managers don't know how to run a study. Need more training. while new to the study, I had a question from site. COL changed the status to "DND"

"CRA"

Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Edison, NJ
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Edison, NJ

I have been working at PAREXEL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits. Great People.

Cons

Line Managers who have been with the company for more than 10+ years as LM's and lost their sensitive to the nature and stress of being a CRA.

Advice to Management

The job really has nothing to do with why CRAs turnover rate is so high. Turnover is usually caused by management. The Clinical Operation Lead and Line Managers who lack interpersonal skills and micro manage to the point that it causes

"Everything I wanted initially but things are questionable now"

Current Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at PAREXEL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Assigned to few protocols and in-house monitor to field site calls are great

Cons

Career development. Three interviews for advancement and no change yet.

Advice to Management

Have the out-going COL recommend their best CRA for their replacement

"Clinical Research Associate"

Former Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate in Remote, OR

I worked at PAREXEL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The salary is great. There are bonus opportunities throughout the year (controlled by your LM).

Cons

Clinical Operation Managers will not follow company SOPs, force CRAs to accept extra trips (so they will not have to take them), and will force you out of the company if you are harming their metrics. I have seen minorities and those with health issues written up and fired at higher rates for problems that are not their fault or are known issues within the company worldwide. HR will take the side of the managers if you have a problem. CRAs support each other on a study because managers are either clueless or unresponsive. The work-life balance is a myth. One to one verbal communication from management is very condescending. There are ample training programs. But caution, if you are not well liked or a new employee you will only receive the online training.

Advice to Management

A change is needed within the management structure. When minorities or those with health issues leave or are fired at higher rates than others; the directors in the company need to address the issues and change the managers.

"Potential hindered by poor management"

Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate I in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate I in San Diego, CA

I have been working at PAREXEL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong training, quick hiring process

Cons

Poorly planned systems, low morale, poor management