PAREXEL Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
PAREXEL Chairman and CEO Josef H. von Rickenbach
Josef H. von Rickenbach

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work life balance as very good as well (in 91 reviews)

• A great sociable atmosphere and can work from home whenever you need to within reason (in 91 reviews)

Cons
  • As a decentralized employee, work / life balance is sometimes a challenge (in 61 reviews)

• Upper management needs to get it together or they will lose the people that actually keep the clients satisfied (in 31 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Progress is impossible without change..."

Current Employee - Associate Director
    Current Employee - Associate Director

I have been working at PAREXEL full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've worked in various roles and departments at PAREXEL over the past 9 years. People are truly the heart of this company... what makes it "tick". Leadership recognizes, values, respects, and supports this. Leadership demonstrates transparency, encourages proactive problem solving and innovation, and actively seeks feedback from those "in the trenches". There are opportunities to expand your expertise and focus, as there are so many roles and services within the organization. Lateral movement is encouraged and the ensuing growth is recognized as valuable. Opportunities to work with and learn from global team members are always available. PAREXEL is a great company with a very strong future. I am VERY proud to be a part of this organization!

Cons

As a decentralized employee, work / life balance is sometimes a challenge.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen, share, and encourage staff at all levels.

2. "Join PAREXEL"

Former Employee - Clinical Research Assistant in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Clinical Research Assistant in Waltham, MA

Pros

Management is great. It's like a family. They understand family issues and are very accomodating when their employees are in need of assistance - both in and out of work. The company has good training and encourages continuing education regularly.

Cons

The pay could be better, but this is the cost of having been given the opportunity to enter the clinical trial industry. Promotional opportunities are usually good, but the company is affected in economic downturns. They do their best when promotional opportunities are not feasible due to financial concerns and make it a point to continually stay in contact with their employees about the company's status.

Advice to Management

Doing a great job - please keep up the good work!

"N/A"

Former Employee - CRA I in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - CRA I in Houston, TX

Pros

PAREXEL has competitive pay for a Clincal Research Associate and also has great benefits. The company believes in educating their employees through trainings and refresher courses.

Cons

I would have like for PAREXEL to have their CRAs become more regional in their travel. I was decentralized out of TX and managed mostly east coast sites; extremely exhausting!

Advice to Management

I really did not have an issue with the management style at PAREXEL. My manager was fair and very knowledgeable in the area of clinical research.

"Medical Imaging is a good place to work."

Current Employee - Middle Management in Billerica, MA
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Billerica, MA

Pros

Very, very flexible with regards to time off, Lots of opportunity for advancement, job is very interesting with tons of different things to do, travel of all types available (some international), co-workers are by and large FANTASTIC in all aspects, there is of course the occasional turkey, but you can work around them easily. Benefits are great. Pay is probably about average. There is a training available for everything. If you get a crappy assignment you hate, it is easy (if you apply yourself) to transfer to something different.

Cons

Very hesitant to get rid of poor performers they just float around forever, and everybody knows it. However, usually the demands of the job make them miserable so they quit. Senior Management is not really in alignment. There are many initiatives that are a waste of time. It is hard for the company to communicate and a deliver a clear vision. This means there is alot of confusion strategically. However, after reading the other reviews.... don't believe the negative hype. Yes there is typical corporate BS and politics.. but this is present at any job. I suspect most of the complainers are entry level folks that have never had another corporate job and that refuse to believe their negative attitude is the problem. I started at the company at entry level and have had multiple promotions over the years. If you apply yourself , want a dynamic exciting job, you can deal with getting stressed out once in awhile... and you can put up with an average level of corporate crapola, this is the place for you. If you want to punch a clock , put in minimum effort, and can't deal with a corporate environment, you will NOT be happy here. Get a paper hat and sell french fries.

Advice to Management

See "Cons" section. You guys have got to get on the same page and communicate this clearly to the rest of us. No more initiatives please. For the love of God... enough already. Also, lets cut down on mandatory LMS trainings. Please have the courage to make some hard decisions so the rest of us can do our jobs effectively.

Don't believe the negative press here. The best employees are generally happy and have faith in the company. The poor performers do most of the complaining and whining instead of doing something to make things better. Our revenues increase every year, our customer satisfaction is the highest in the company... so we must be doing something right. We just need to get organized better and we will be all set.

5. "A great place to work and make a difference"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lowell, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lowell, MA

Pros

The people at PAREXEL are very straight-forward and great co-workers. The company has grown a tremendous amount over the past few years - but infrastructure has not kept pace. This provides an opportunity for people willing to apply themselves to improve operations and get noticed. More than 25% of jobs are filled internally.

Cons

The work pace is fast and the hours can be long - especially if you are in a global position. Senior Management could communicate better with their employees in the business unit.

Advice to Management

Senior Management could communicate better with their employees in the business unit. Decisions need to be long-term focused and less emphesis should be placed on pleasing Wall Street quarterly.

"Excellent place to build a resume or a career."

Current Employee - Manager in Billerica, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Billerica, MA

Pros

Excellent "first job" for someone right out of college or someone w/ limited corporate experience. The company is full of young motivated people and the opportunities for advancement are HUGE in whatever direction you see fit. Easy to get along w/ everyone. Excellent place to build a resume. Excellent springboard if you chose to move into pharma. I came in at an entry level and within a year or two, they had me travelling internationally and meeting w/ clients. The basic job requirements are easy and provide one with excellent opportunity to make a name for themselves. Failing here rarely has to do w/ ability, but rather motivation. The job is as good as you want to make it.
    excellent time off, excellent benefits, easy, relaxed atmosphere. while we learn slowly, there is the occasional "eureka" moment which is encouraging.

Cons

- For a company that has a massive legal department, we sure are scared of the college kid suing us for wrongful termination. Duds stick around at the expense of the good ones.
    - We tend to affirm a culture of sensitivity when it comes to hearing bad news. occasionally, we like to shoot the messenger when the message is unpleasant. we need a thicker skin when it comes to accountability, feedback, and criticism.
    - we LOVE initiatives. we aren't happy unless some individual is working on some individual goal that is causing others to have to do more work. cut it out. i'd rather miss the one good idea in ten that comes out of these things than entertain 9 miserable endeavorers that we all know will fail / lose support / get out on hold / change in a year.

Advice to Management

- fire more people. seriously. then take their salaries and distribute them to the people who are worthwhile. rinse. repeat every year. we don't need MORE resources as much as we need GOOD resources.
    - act as leaders. get rid of the idea that there is such a thing as a "perfect" plan. make a decision, cancel meetings, and move forward. stop giving the soap box to people who just want to hear themselves speak. make a decision, then stick to it knowing that people are going to moan.
    - foster accountability, not sensitivity. encourage criticism. people with good criticism are by definition helping you. people with dumb criticism prove themselves to be fools and you don't need to listen to them again.

7. "Great place to work and grow."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Diverse work environment. Has all the advantages of both a small company and a large corporation, e.g. great benefits but you can still get get to know the people you work with.

Cons

PAREXEL as a company is in a difficult spot, smaller than their biggest competitors to gain efficiencies from economies of scale but still more bureaucratic than their smaller competitors.

8. "A wonderful and informative summer experience"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Waltham, MA

I worked at PAREXEL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Parexel fosters a very professional environment with a talented and friendly management staff. The career opportunities are immense and most employees are very well compensated for their efforts.

Cons

You have to be prepared to work very hard to excell. Most upper level employees put in well north of 40 hours per week, they are still in the process of expanding and probably need to hire more people to balance everyone's workload.

Advice to Management

Hire more people and don't be afraid to promote from within,

9. "Expectations Met in Full"

Current Employee - Director in Billerica, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Billerica, MA

I have been working at PAREXEL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

PAREXEL is growing and there is ample opportunity for employees who perform well to grow their careers for many years to come. What I enjoy most about PAREXEL is the support of Line Managers and Senior Management. These are realistic and supportive mentors. Our team works hard but we enjoy our work and our staff. I heard this message during the interview process and my expectations have since been met. I look forward to advancing my career at PAREXEL. Great group to work with.

Cons

PAREXEL is technology rich. I see this as a positive after having worked for employers who do not invest much in technology but those that struggle with technology will not be successful in this environment.

Advice to Management

Keep up the open lines of communication.

"Industry Leader - tremendous growth"

I have been working at PAREXEL full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Within my dept, the management team communicates openly at all levels. PAREXEL is a leader in innovation and adaptability to the changing environment. Executive leadership consistently demonstrates their desire and willingness to hear the ideas of those doing the work. Hard work and achievements are recognized.

Cons

Companies can always improve... PAREXEL is no different.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employees and act accordingly.