PAREXEL Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

PAREXEL Chairman and CEO Josef H. von Rickenbach
Josef H. von Rickenbach

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • As a decentralized employee, work / life balance is sometimes a challenge (in 62 reviews)

• Upper management needs to get it together or they will lose the people that actually keep the clients satisfied (in 31 reviews)

"Would not recommend this as a CRO of choice"

Former Employee - Human Resources Associate in Uxbridge, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Associate in Uxbridge, England (UK)

I worked at PAREXEL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

You are expected to work very long hours with very little reward or recognition. Top management do not seem to have a clear vision.

Advice to Management

Involve your employees - you may just learn something!

"Company Passed Its Prime"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at PAREXEL full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits package. You'll struggle to find benefits this good elsewhere.
    A relaxed view on work. Staff are trusted to get the job done so there is little meddling in work.

Money is no object - some of the best software on the market has been bought in.

Cons

Ridiculous job titles - nothing to distinguish a degree educated professional software engineer with years of experience, with that of a script kiddy with no practical software development experience.

Absolutely no commercial pressures. Deadlines are things set, because they probably should have them, not because they're needed or ever stuck to.

Do as you please - there seems to be no cohesive plan for how me minions can benefit the company. PAREXEL seems intent on letting us do our thing & when it's broke, they'll buy a new company & run that one into the ground.

Advice to Management

Either sort out the appraisal process or scrap it. It's supposed to be so we all working to achieve the same goals. Right now we make up objectives at the end of the year to justify what we've done.

Stop employing non-productive employees (project managers, business analysts, directors, VP's) & employee some developers. You might get something done then.

"Parexhell"

Former Employee - Research & Development in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Research & Development in London, England (UK)

Pros

Good benefits and external sponsors.

Cons

Very bad working environment and management in the NPU-UK.
    Gossip, rumours, lies, backstabbing, mediocrity. Management only interested in profit above anything else. High turnover of employees. The values claimed buy the company are nonexistent. Can't comment on CEO or other branches.

Advice to Management

Please change bussiness.

"CRA"

Former Employee - CRA in Uxbridge, England (UK)
    Former Employee - CRA in Uxbridge, England (UK)

I worked at PAREXEL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good environment, supportive colleagues, not stressful, good international teams and Communication, good discounts and benefits, quite good canteen, flexible working hours

Cons

Poor management: lack of experience in management, don't look at the quality of work only at metrics, don't help, when you ask for help, no carrier opportunities and progression, salary can be 10.000 difference for the same role, hiring a lot if EU ppl to save on their salary.

Advice to Management

Most of the management needs to be replaced, there are only few good managers. Company culture and values are not in place.

"Benefits are not too bad. But employee moral low"

Former Employee - Customer Service in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service in London, England (UK)

I worked at PAREXEL full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They give standard benefits, such as health care, dental and pension

Cons

Their version of employee rewards are not rewards at all. Too top heavy, too many chiefs and not enough Indians

Advice to Management

Stop looking after yourselves and look after employees. Everything is metrics driven. They would rather cut employees and get one person to do 4 people's work and they wonder why people are over worked, But they get their bonus, so they don't care

"Very frustrating place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Nottingham, England (UK)

Pros

The benefits package is excellent, with a "cafeteria style" system that lets you pick what you want from a selection. The salary is ok. We've had reasonable pay rises, but that seems to vary across depts.

Cons

In 1 word PAREXEL. Our corporate overlords have instilled an unhelpful attitude in all their minions. This leads to level over non-cooperation, people unwilling to be flexible, lack of people willing to take the initiative & so-one.

I'm left feeling like I'm the only who cares about my job. I get no feedback from management. It takes 6 months to decide what my goals are for the year and then I have to decide what they are.

Advice to Management

You need to encourage your line managers & staff to take the initiative & to take responsibility for what they do. They need to be told, ironically, that they are not mindless automatons, only following orders.

7. "Okay experience"

Former Employee - CRA I in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - CRA I in London, England (UK)

I worked at PAREXEL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are good, good benefits

Cons

Poor management, highly over allocated work, lack of good training

Advice to Management

Start listening to your employees

"Very political"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Uxbridge, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Uxbridge, England (UK)

I worked at PAREXEL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work if you want to learn new stuff.

Cons

Not a good place to work if you want to move up the ladder in your career. Employee turnover is very high due to many factors. There is too much office politics. Ethical standards is very poor.

Advice to Management

Remove the bad eggs and change the culture. Identifying the bad eggs can be done via anonymous survey and onward investigation based on the results gathered.

"Don't count on a Sheffield office"

Former Employee - Clinical Data Manager in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Clinical Data Manager in Sheffield, England (UK)

Pros

Ok to work for if you like the American approach - they provide free tea, coffee, fruit and breakfast cereal plus parking

Cons

Bean counters in the States who know the price of everything and the value of nothing. It is expensive to hire staff in the US of A and Europe so most of the work is going off-shore to India or China

Advice to Management

Value the excellent staff who you already have rather than looking for the cheaper option. Relocating work is initially cheaper but quality drops and as new hubs are created off-shore by other Pharma companies there is high staff turnover and wage inflation in order to keep hold of the staff you have.

"It all depends on your department"

Former Employee - Senior Java Developer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Java Developer in London, England (UK)

I worked at PAREXEL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Convenient location, decent pay, good physical working environment. Can be good work-life balance depending on your project/management/department. Depending on your goals, it can be a great place to coast.

Cons

Beware: they do screen monitoring of every single employee despite what they say in their handbook (with playback feature, of course). Dishonest. Parexel is a package-company: they purchase a lot of software packages; no problem with that, in my view, but if you're hired because you're an excellent Java developer, you should be informed you won't do any Java work at all, but Rather Pega or Informatica or whatever. Very dishonest.

Advice to Management

You expect employees to be honest. Then, be honest with them.

Showing 60 of 1,033 reviews