PCM Reviews | Glassdoor

PCM Reviews

Updated July 22, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • We work with great people at all levels of the organization, who are supportive of each other (in 20 reviews)

• The management really is nice and there are a lot of good people (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is either family of the CEO or built the foundation of their careers in the early 2000s (in 20 reviews)

• Little to no training or direction (in 8 reviews)

1. "A place to grow"

I have been working at PCM full-time

Pros

Tons of departments, marketing, sales, accounting, finance, design, data analysis. Flexible hours. Management is very open to career growth and discussion conversations about moving to new departments. Basically stand out and bust your rear and opportunities will open up for you. This applies anywhere.

Cons

I have yet to find one.

Advice to Management

Communication is always difficult for large organizations. Continue to keep the company employees informed and transparent to the health of the business. Need more employee perks/discount programs.

2. "Marketing"

Current Employee - Vendor Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Vendor Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at PCM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love the people and culture. If you are smart and you work hard, the sky is the limit

Cons

Wish we can keep the office open later so I can keep on working

Advice to Management

Love the new direction of the Company. Don't stop

3. "Best Company Ever!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Pros

PCM is a great company to work for! It's a company that cares about the employees and places importance on a positive work environment. We work with great people at all levels of the organization, who are supportive of each other. Excellent benefits!

Cons

Miami traffic is the only con.

4. "Account Executive lots of phone calls. . ."

Current Employee - Account Executive in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Boise, ID

I have been working at PCM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job, and I'm employed

Cons

Lots of phone calls. . . lots and lots

Advice to Management

Provide active accounts and less phone calls.

5. "Decent but not the best. More like a stepping stone to another career or company."

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at PCM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Somewhat flexible and not too micro-managed but it really varies depending on who your manager is and whether your marketing or sales.

Cons

Not much training
    Undervalues employees - very difficult to get a raise even with excellent performance
    Uneven treatment - marketing side is favored to the sales side

6. "Lots of potential for commission, going to take months to get your foot in the door"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Rio Rancho, NM
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Rio Rancho, NM

I have been working at PCM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Base pay, benefits, environment. Initially seems like a great job. Lots of free lunches and vendor gifts. Vacation time given on first day

Cons

They require you to have 3hrs of cold calling talk time per day, which initially is unachieveable. Your patience will be tested continously for sales and being hung up on a daily basis

Advice to Management

Too many reps in each territory. Its not possible for everyone to meet the daily standard goals, espicially in first 4-6 months employment. The training does not set you up for success

7. "Account Manager (Inside Sales)"

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at PCM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of office social events with vendor partners, so lot's of free food, drinks, and fun happy hours. The management really is nice and there are a lot of good people. Good thorough training.

Cons

The pay is horrible. Commission structure is horrible. You only make a very small percentage of profit (not revenue). So imagine you sell 100,000, the profit on that would probably be around 10,000. In your first year, you would make like 3 % of that, so 300 bucks (pre-tax) for selling six figures. Your first year, you make 30K (which they consider a good base) with only 3 % commission rate on revenue. Then after that, you make around 20k with like 9 %. VERY POOR PAY

Advice to Management

Pay people what they need to live. Stop using sales reps as cheap labor.

"A Pack of Lies"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in El Segundo, CA

I worked at PCM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice building near LAX. Vendors are awesome and are really the silver lining.

Cons

Management is so corrupt and uses HR to do very shady things. They buy deals from clients, don't pay commissions or change them and from the CEO, right through the shady and former Executive Vice President, Corporate Sales who came from CDW and down through the ranks, they plot and deceive. Very unhealthy place to work physically and mentally.

Advice to Management

Sell yourself to someone like Mark Cuban so that the funk gets its time in the sunshine.

9. "Management changes make long term success difficult."

I worked at PCM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work with many great people.

Cons

Management changes often at the highest levels and reshuffling takes place often.

10. "TERRIBLE COMPANY!!!!!!!!!!"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at PCM (More than 5 years)

Pros

Honestly there really aren't many. All of the 5 star reviews all recently posted on the same day are probably fake and done by the company to try and boost ratings. I didn't work with 1 single happy employee that liked anything about this company.

Cons

I was brought on about a year and a half back through the Tiger Direct acquisition and it was all downhill from there. I'm not nieve I know most big company mergers take time to get all the problems worked out which is why I told myself I would give it a year. As soon as we were acquired tons of false promises where made. Of course the PCM CEO and executive mgt. promised us the sun the moon and the stars. Everything from new offices, new computers, higher pay, less expensive benefits, better commissions etc.

Not one single bit of it was true. Base salary is basically minimum wage, you have to chase down every dollar of commission and spiff you are owed in multiple complex systems half of which don't work right. Cost of medical benefits is astronomically high over $450 every 2 weeks just to cover a family on medical + dental and vision costs. At the beginning of the aquisistion they "overpaid" us around Christmas time and we had to spend the next 6 months paying it all back. The pay is so low the company give draw payment to help cover the high cost of medical benefits on the 1st paycheck and then you have to pay that money back out of your 2nd check which is your commission.

It was a pretty terrible work environment as well an old outdated office with no windows, high cubicles, 10 year old computers, and dirty bathrooms. There was no room for advancement and absolutely no pay increases. Between Tiger and PCM I was there 7 years and was not once offered even a penny raise from either company.

They have TONS of different systems that only do 1 basic function each instead of having 1 or 2 systems that efficiently do multiple tasks. You need to work out of 10+ systems just to try and do your job on a daily basis. The people and support are just like the systems; instead of having 1 person that knows multiple product lines and features they would rather have 20 that know 20 different things. They have thousands of employees but most of the support staff only knows specific things about there own single segment which requires you to get tons of people involved on projects with more then 1 brand or more then 1 product line within a brand. Pcm also outsources tons of jobs overseas to save money so your often stuck dealing with people in Manilla and Pakistan which is not ideal.

Executive management has changed directions and focus so many times just within the past year. Every week feels like flavor of the day with constant focus change and lack of real strategy. Multiple executive vice presidents have come and been fired all claiming to have the next great big ideas. The company is just completely unorganized and seems to be in total disarray.

To add icing on the cake they are also being invested for securities and stock fraud. This is from there Enpoint acquisition which was right before the Tiger acquisition. They were overvauling the company's assets and declaring it was worth more on paper then it actually was. Cooking the books is one of the oldest tricks in the book it's no surprise they got caught. The stock price more then tripled in just a few months from around $8 to $30 all due to artificial growth from aquistions. Of course all the big stock holders including the CEO sold tons of shares at the height of around $27-30 per share probably due to knowing all sorts of inside info. Of course in a very short time the stock went back down to $19 right after the fraud news broke.

There is absolutely nothing good about this company, the pay is awful, management is terrible, systems are outdated, commissions and spiffs are inaccurate, they lie and soon enough will probably be convicted of fraud.

Advice to Management

The company is terrible and not even worth saving might as well jump ship and go work for CDW.