PDFTron Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
CEO

"Great for Self-Starters"

I have been working at PDFTron full-time

Pros

The company is a great place for self-starters and those who are comfortable making their own decisions are empowered to do so. The company is currently being reorganized to better accommodate those who need more direction or who are new employees.

When I am working I generally feel like I am making a difference. I am able to make many key decisions on my own and when they are larger scale decisions I feel my opinion is valued by others including senior management.

I get along very well with basically everyone in the company. After working here for a number of years, PDFTron feels like a second family to me.

The company is very strong financially. This means both that jobs here are very secure and that the company has resources to grow and invest in many new technologies and ideas.

Cons

PDFTron is a small but growing company. In the past there has been some difficulty providing a suitable level of empowerment for the capabilities of the employee. Mostly this was due to limited access to management in our previously flat management structure. With the reorganization mentioned above I expect senior employees to more often fulfill the supervision and decision roles.

Advice to Management

Keep on the current track regarding management structure adjustments. Continue to have anonymous surveys and take the results to heart constructively. Never stop looking for new gaps in the market to fill with document software!

"Great Company"

I have been working at PDFTron full-time

Pros

PDFTron is a great place to work for a lot of reasons.

A big one is the people who work here, who are talented and friendly. You will learn and be able to share knowledge in a challenging and egoless environment, and enjoy doing it.

Another big plus is the technologies that we work with every day. The cross-platform nature of the product line (web, mobile, desktop) allows you to work in an area that interests you. Also we’re not constrained by a large legacy system or bureaucratic inertia, so the tools and technologies we use to build our products can and do stay current. Your skills will not grow old and stale.

The founders are true entrepreneurs who are re-investing in the company and growing it.
    A healthy balance sheet allows us to try new things and take calculated risks, including some exciting greenfield projects with big potential.

More reasons:
    • Interesting projects that use current technologies with wide industry support (React and React Native, AWS, Firebase, Emscripten), along with Android, iOS, Windows Store Apps, and cross-platform C++.
    • Working on industry leading, interesting and innovative projects.
    • Opportunity to contribute to product direction, and introduce new processes/technologies
    • Company lunches every Thursday; monthly company-sponsored socials (that are truly optional, the bosses don’t always make it either).
    • The company owners that are passionate about we do, and are open to different points of view and change.
    • A professional environment where everybody works hard, but it is not a sweatshop with intense “crunch times” that are hard on your health and family.
    • A nice modern office in a great downtown location.
    • A financially secure company.
    • Competitive salary.
    • Nice workstation with choice of PC, Mac or Linux.
    • Flexible vacation policy

Cons

There are some growing pains related to coordinating larger numbers of people, which means putting new process in place to make sure everything runs smoothly. Everyone is working on this as a team.
    Like any non-massive company, you don’t get the brand-name recognition of telling people you work at “Google” or “Microsoft”.

Advice to Management

Keep moving the direction we've been going, keeping our products current with technological change, and improving our processes. I also think we need a new website with a more modern design. Our products are industry bests and our website should reflect that.

"Internship at PDFTron"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Pros

The company hierarchy is very flat. Everyone is helping everyone else as far as they can regardless of what they work on currently.

The culture there is on an upward trajectory. You get to go to lunches bi weekly, end of the month parties (even boat parties), stretch sessions and much more.

You get to learn many things working there. As a matter of fact it was a very great learning opportunity for me.

Cons

A DISCLAIMER FIRST; This is based on my experience at PDFTron. It might not be the case from someone else's experience who is working there.

I have jumped around on many products, languages, etc so much that I feel like that it was difficult to concentrate on one project. I have worked on core C++ functionality, I have learned and programmed Android and Java on their main app and another prototype app. I did Android Linux Kernal Unit Test Autiomation. All during a four-month internship. Those projects where Specifically for me that my main project was working on a new product which required a lot of concentration, research, and trial and error. And this was contrary to the fact that I was pretty clear about career goals on the beginning.

Advice to Management

I believe that the internship with employment promise model is not really the best way to approach recent grads. It kinda strips the freedom and peace of mind. We are too old for this stuff.

"Should hire senior devs instead of co-ops/interns"

Former Intern - Software Develer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Intern - Software Develer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at PDFTron as an intern

Pros

- Getting to dive deep into projects where you get to work with yourself or in very small teams. This means it's a great opportunity to make big accomplishments. There is no bureaucracy to stop you from getting stuff done unlike in big companies
    - Free company lunches every now and then
    - Getting to work on all sorts of technologies since this is a small company
    - Stable company

Cons

- My boss liked to micromanage which includes counting the hours we came in and left, had to write daily diaries of what was accomplished or not
    - Gave interns projects that were well beyond the scope what the interns experiences are. I saw a case where one intern received a complaint for being incompetent and needing to step up his game and his boss never once tried to understand why the intern was struggling
    - Lack of mentorship/supervision but yet very high expectations on interns

Advice to Management

Hire more senior devs. Don't hire interns because they are cheap labour.

Have more trust in your employees that they are trying as hard as they can. And if there are any performance issues, communicate and talk to them to at least try to understand where the underlying issue is before jumping the gun and complaining that they aren't trying hard enough.