PEAK6 Investments Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
PEAK6 Investments Co-founder and Chief Executive Officer Matthew Hulsizer
Matthew Hulsizer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The office space is impressive and can attract people to the company on its own (in 23 reviews)

• You get the chance to work with some really smart people (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is tough specially in technology area (in 8 reviews)

• low pay for trading if not in top percentile, management is disconnected from workers, very boring work, long hours, any talking is almost prohibited (in 6 reviews)

"A Good Place to Innovate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PEAK6 Investments full-time

Pros

A very successful and adaptable firm that's made it through thick and thin in the markets and grown quite a bit. Some extremely talented people. Technologists and analysts are respected and regarded as partners. Can feel really innovative and fast-paced. Some really interesting things to work on. Good support so you can focus on the things you want to do. Committed to education.

Cons

As is common in the industry, middle managers are often selected for talents and skills other than management and so they've got things to learn. Commitment to diversity and civic engagement are weak.

PEAK6 Investments Response

Mar 30, 2017 – COO

Thanks for your feedback. It’s especially great to hear feedback on areas within our culture since those are areas in which we’ve been actively investing a great deal of time and resources. So it’s... More

"Company in transition"

Former Employee - Trader
    Former Employee - Trader

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time

Pros

Some really great co-workers
    Free food
    Great benefits
    Annual party
    Office space

Cons

Little opportunity for career growth.
    Management's increased focus on venture capital.
    Strange changes to desk.

Advice to Management

Enjoyed my time with the firm. Be straight with your people. They're smart people.

3. "Challenging, but good company"

I have been working at PEAK6 Investments full-time

Pros

I have worked for PEAK6 for several years. The firm is challenging, but it is also very rewarding. The people you work with amazing - smart, gritty and very passionate about what they do.
    We are constantly evolving and changing - always thinking about what is next and not afraid to challenge the status quo.

Cons

This firm may not be for everyone as it does require you to challenge yourself, put yourself out that and be willing to be wrong. Considering how quick we are to adapt and change, we can get better at communication across the firm.

"Dedicated hardworking involved employee"

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Snacks and a great holiday party. Owners are very forward thinking and fun.

Cons

Management, politics in office, there seems to be this sense of fake culture being force fed to everyone and the resistance is unbearable. Very negative environment to work in. Let people go without warning or reason. Non-management employees seem to be fired for poor management/project management decisions being made instead of the people making the poor decisions.

Advice to Management

Be better listeners there are some very talented people much smarter than some of you. Matt and Jenny are so blind to the poor culture and management crushing culture at every turn.

"More dollars than sense"

Former Employee - Design Engineer
    Former Employee - Design Engineer

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice office, lots of snacks

Cons

General disrespect of employees.
    They’ve had success in trading, though they’re a one trick pony and do not innovate. They arrogantly think this limited success makes them technology visionaries. They have failure upon failure with their business ideas. Everyone in the org knows the ideas are weak but it’s like the emperor’s new clothes and everyone pretends otherwise.

Advice to Management

Be self-aware, stop thinking you're experts in everything because you had success in trading.

"1 Star Company AT BEST"

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time

Pros

Generous vacation time, good snacks

Cons

Management, Political Culture, No Growth, management does not seem to actually care about employees at all

Advice to Management

Hours are fine, there is decent work/life balance. The issue lies within management and the culture at PEAK6. Every day you see more people being fired for absolutely no reason and no one is given any explanation. HR is a joke there and the C-Suite management team is so disorganized. There is an extreme lack of communication and respect across all fields at PEAK6. It has been described to me as a really "negative energy" space. It is an extremely selfish and political environment - if someone does not like you (even someone low on the totem pole) for no reason at all other than being jealous or petty/immature, you will be gone within a matter of days. I do not recommend anyone working at this company and if you do, I hope you make it out with your dignity still intact. On the flip side, Matt and Jenny, the founders, seem great. They are just in the dark on so much of the going-on's of the company and how their employees really feel.

"Missed Opportunity"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

- The pay and benefits are good
    - Well stocked kitchens
    - Bagels on Fridays
    - Lunch once a month
    - Somewhat of a start up vibe
    - Frequent social events
    - Depending on your role and project, there is potential to learn a lot.
    - They have a buddy system which is a great way to meet others outside of your department.

Cons

- The co-founders are extremely impersonal and micro manage projects.
    - Employees are seen as cogs.
    - Office layout is extremely weird. The leaders have offices with glass walls looking down on everyone else. I'm not sure if this was intended, but it's strange.

Advice to Management

- Take time to get to know your employees. I felt like you didn't care about anyone. As a small company, I expected it to be the type of environment where you (the co-founders) introduce themselves, show appreciation, etc, but it's the complete opposite.
    - Respect the expertise of those you hired. You are not experts in every field. Stick to what you know and are successful at.
    - You basically have two CEOs calling different shots. I'm not sure what one co-founder provides that the other doesn't outside of complexity.

8. "Trader"

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time

Pros

Fun culture, cool office, encouraging

Cons

Can be political, hard to get bonus

"junior trader"

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time

Pros

education office space location managers

Cons

testing mock trading learning from novices working long hours

Advice to Management

not everyone wants to mock trade so you shouldn't really base everything on that

"Do NOT work here if you want a career"

Former Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great office space
    Free snacks
    First few months of training
    Good Benefits
    Yearly party

Cons

- If you are good at your role, there is 0 room for growth
    Peak6 seem to view employees as cogs in their own machine. If a cog is functioning properly, the cog stays put. It doesn't matter if the cog wants to grow/develop itself further. Allowing employees to progress in their careers might lessen turnover.

- 95% of Middle Management
    The role of a trader is to be better/faster/smarter than everyone else around them. Much of the qualities necessary to become a good trader are the ones that doom you to being a subpar manager. Doing 360 degree reviews would allow for feedback on manager performance from those being manged.

Advice to Management

1) Allow employees to progress in their careers
    2) Start doing 360 degree feedback