PEAK6 Investments Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
PEAK6 Investments Co-founder and Chief Executive Officer Matthew Hulsizer
Matthew Hulsizer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The office space is impressive and can attract people to the company on its own" (in 25 reviews)

• "Peak6 is a great place to work: the company has an established business model but also has an entrepreneurial atmosphere" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "work life balance is tough specially in technology area" (in 8 reviews)

• "low pay for trading if not in top percentile, management is disconnected from workers, very boring work, long hours, any talking is almost prohibited" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"An amazing overall work environment"

I worked at PEAK6 Investments part-time

Pros

Everyone here is so smart, yet so humble. I learned something from each and every employee I worked with, regardless of the conversation.

Your opinion will be genuinely valued and your voice will always be heard

No matter your age or gender (which is rare in a male dominant industry), you will have the opportunity to grow at this company

The emphasis on continuing to learn (whether it be pursuing further education or simply learning from your own mistakes) sets this company aside from so many others

The social events are amazing - also monthly massages, manicures, and free lunches/breakfasts

The friendship amongst the employees (maybe the most important aspect) - people respect each other, both in and out of the office. If you are looking for a place to do really fun work while meeting some incredible people, this is the place.

Cons

The only negative thing I could think of is to maybe put a bit more focus on philanthropy/charity

Advice to Management

Continue to push people to find their passion in the same way you always have; remind employees of how much you really care about all of them (never let them forget this)

Sep 15, 2018 – President

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate that during your time here you were able to see how our investment in helping our employees feel valued is a critical part of our... More

2. "Senior Management"

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time

Pros

Fast-paced, challenging work.
    Meritocracy based promotion structure.
    Collaborative team based approach to trading.
    High ethical standards.
    Strong focus on education.
    Innovative and flexible proprietary trading platform.

Cons

Not for people uncomfortable with change, though change isn't done just for the sake of change.

Advice to Management

Continue to expand the management group to include the next wave of top talent.

"Seriously, don't work here."

Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Chicago, IL

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The kitchen is always stocked, and lunch is frequently provided.

Cons

I worked at Peak6 as a User Experience Designer. Shortly after starting, I realized the project they hired me for was less organized than I expected. The team was constantly putting out fires, addressing random requests from the co-founders, and not dedicating any effort into establishing a solid vision or product strategy.

Two and half months later, myself and a number of others on my team were laid off without notice. I was shocked at how they convinced people to uproot their lives for an opportunity, and had no disregard for their well-being. The co-founders are also completely unaware of product development and design processes. They frequently admitted to not being experts, but continually failed to take steps in order to correct their mistakes. After this project, I hope they learned to trust the expertise of those they hire.

I don't have any ill feelings towards this company, but I would advise against any other designer taking a position here. On the finance and trading side, they seem to know what they're doing—outside of that, they're blind.

4. "Trader"

Former Employee - Trader
    Former Employee - Trader

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are top notch.
    Great perks like free food, parties, educational resources, etc.
    Some really great people who are both hilarious and helpful.
    The trading environment is one of collaboration.
    Great education program for trading assistants.

Cons

Some organizational decisions are not always best explained.
    Compensation isn’t strait-forward.
    Momentum is real.

Advice to Management

Thank you for a great learning environment and investing in your traders’ success. Would suggest focusing more on traders’ career advancement, but the firm does a great job at developing traders or at least giving TA’s the opportunity to become successful traders. I think some or most of the negative reviews are either from tech employees or traders/TAs who couldn’t hack it. Would recommend.

Sep 15, 2018 – President

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. Education and employee development are important components of our culture and we are glad that you have had a positive experience. Please reach out to... More

"Great place to work"

I have been working at PEAK6 Investments full-time

Pros

Smart, great group of people, I enjoy coming in to work every day.
    I learn something new every day even after years of being at the company.
    The most forward thinking company I know of in the industry.
    Not just a trading firm. Always thinking about how to continue growth of the company and people.
    People are encouraged to speak their minds about ideas and things we could do different/better. Not just to your manager but to anyone in leadership.
    Very fun place to work. Great events where employees get to know each other better and build bonds.
    Opportunities exist to take on bigger/different roles because the company is always trying new things outside of trading too.

Cons

If you do not speak up and believe in yourself and your abilities, stronger co-workers will pass you by.
    You need to be bought in to improving yourself and the place you work. If you simply want "a job" this is not the place for you. It's hard work but the rewards can be great if you buy in.
    Snacks are just ok.
    Communication is not perfect. Leadership tries but points out how it's hard to communicate so everyone hears the same message. But they say they are actively trying to improve.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing ahead. I greatly appreciate working for leaders who care about my future and the future of our company.

Sep 15, 2018 – President

Thanks for submitting your review. Working for leaders who care about you and your future is key to employee engagement. Our investment in people goes beyond money. Education and growth are an... More

"If you can get hired here, you can easily get hired somewhere better."

I worked at PEAK6 Investments (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart coworkers, cool office space

Cons

Shoddy tech and a culture of avoiding blame, rather than collaborating to solve fundamental issues.

Advice to Management

Culture is built slowly and intentionally, not dictated from he C-suite

Sep 15, 2018 – President

Thanks for submitting your review. We know that our company isn’t for everyone but we know that those who find success here are committed to hard work and adaptability. Our investment in people goes... More

"If you love management by chaos, this is your place."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Office space is nice, free snacks, yoga, fun company parties/concerts.

Cons

Extremely political, hardly diverse in terms of women and forget about being respected (don't be fooled that the co-founder is female), unprofessional environment and toxic corporate culture. Ruthless environment run by ego maniacs.

Advice to Management

No comment, they aren't interested in advice. Their money does the talking.

Sep 15, 2018 – President

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are committed to our core values and work to operate ethically and with integrity in all aspects of our business. We maintain a diverse workforce... More

"A one-trick pony not ready for prime time."

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time

Pros

- Giveaways for people who write positive reviews on Glassdoor. This, despite the potential to run afoul of FTC Disclosure requirements, leads to transparently fake reviews...but at least there are 5 stars by them.

- The money they save by not providing severance to laid off employees is spent on things like a Trivia night. The Trivia night has free appetizers.

- 7 flavors of LaCroix in the fridge. That includes lime.

Cons

- They don't listen to the experts they hire to do a job. It's obvious they've been successful at one thing. But, until they listen to people who are better than them at other things, the company won't go anywhere.

- As others have said on this site, the CMO is a feckless contrarian who everyone from her team to the owners actively avoid. Everything people said about her is true but nothing is done about it.

- People uprooted their life to move and work on this project team. Then, they were laid off with little reason and no severance. You shouldn't work here unless you are willing to dip into your emergency fund when the owners change their mind.

Advice to Management

- You can't buy culture. Stop throwing money at it. Culture comes from individuals given the ability to be the experts you hired them to be.

- Don't lure people to work for you if you're not able or willing to commit. You messed up a bunch of really great humans' lives for a while. It's not cool to sell one thing and then deliver another.

Sep 15, 2018 – President

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I understand you did not have a positive experience at PEAK6, and as part of the marketing team you likely would have worked on various projects that... More

"A rewarding environment to challenge yourself and learn from others"

I have been working at PEAK6 Investments full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- A highly entrepreneurial culture. PEAK6 is almost unique in it's desire and willingness to invest in people and opportunities that they trust. Do your research, have a well thought out plan and senior management will support you
    - Passion orientated - the Founders are geared towards a rare combination of investment acumen with passion. They understand that successful businesses are borne out of the people's passion for what they are trying to do. They encourage team members to find opportunities they are passionate about and then run at them hard
    - High integrity - decisions are based in positive intent and colleagues speak openly and honestly
    - Positive, cross-functional partnerships - teams happy to help each other out and go out of their way to be supportive
    - A powerful combination of challenging and rewarding. The company sets out a high bar and rewards those who excel
    - Open to feedback and improvement - a genuine humility that everyone has their own areas of strength and an interest in building and improving the company's capabilities

Cons

- Expect to be stretched and challenged. Mediocrity is not widely accepted and therefore it is an environment which you will be pushed to hit high standards
    - Senior management recognize that there are now a breadth of teams and services going on within the company, and working to improve things like company wide communication to ensure teams know what is happening across the business

Sep 15, 2018 – President

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It’s rewarding to hear positive feedback from our employees. We value the work our employees do every day. Our employees are smart and committed to... More

"CMO Ran the Department Into the Ground"

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time

Pros

Great salary and benefits. Great potential to do interesting and exciting work. There were moments of the autonomy and creative encouragement promised and pitched during the interview process. Those moments were incredible. Those moments were fleeting.

Great place for traders and tech.

Cons

Chief Marketing Officer was difficult to work with. Poor communicator, chip on her shoulder, maybe a fear of being exposed as a fraud fueled this difficulty. She could not lead her team or see the value in leveraging the talent of the marketing department to benefit the firm's vast business opportunities. As such, investments struggled, suffered and failed under her watch, layoffs ensued, and ultimately, the department was gutted. Those remaining were (thankfully) absorbed into other businesses owned by PEAK6.

A huge opportunity was lost.

CMO seemed more interested in fudging metrics to excuse her failure in leadership and marketing strategy than utilizing the talent on her team.

Poor communication throughout organization, from leadership on down. Lots of he-say-she-say in project direction, and in the case of employee performance. Felt, at times, more like a catty high school cafeteria than a successful trading and investment firm.

Otherwise, there were some good, fun people who worked there. It's a great trading and tech firm. Not a good place for marketing professionals.

Advice to Management

Live what you preach about fitting the person to the role, not the role to the person. That's a quote from the Chief People Officer. Such was not the case with the marketing department. Not at all.

An honest approach to employee relations would help. A CMO with people skills and basic understandings of functional marketing would have saved everyone a lot of time and trouble.

Sep 15, 2018 – President

Thanks for submitting your review. It is important to hear feedback on Glassdoor and understand how we can do better and continually improve. In the past year, the role of marketing in the... More