PEAK6 Investments Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 22, 2019

PEAK6 Investments Co-founder and Chief Executive Officer Matthew Hulsizer
Matthew Hulsizer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The office space is impressive and can attract people to the company on its own" (in 25 reviews)

• "Peak6 is a great place to work: the company has an established business model but also has an entrepreneurial atmosphere" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "low pay for trading if not in top percentile, management is disconnected from workers, very boring work, long hours, any talking is almost prohibited" (in 6 reviews)

• "The company is ruled by how you are perceived in many cases, and middle management is a huge mess" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"An amazing overall work environment"

I worked at PEAK6 Investments part-time

Pros

Everyone here is so smart, yet so humble. I learned something from each and every employee I worked with, regardless of the conversation.

Your opinion will be genuinely valued and your voice will always be heard

No matter your age or gender (which is rare in a male dominant industry), you will have the opportunity to grow at this company

The emphasis on continuing to learn (whether it be pursuing further education or simply learning from your own mistakes) sets this company aside from so many others

The social events are amazing - also monthly massages, manicures, and free lunches/breakfasts

The friendship amongst the employees (maybe the most important aspect) - people respect each other, both in and out of the office. If you are looking for a place to do really fun work while meeting some incredible people, this is the place.

Cons

The only negative thing I could think of is to maybe put a bit more focus on philanthropy/charity

Advice to Management

Continue to push people to find their passion in the same way you always have; remind employees of how much you really care about all of them (never let them forget this)

Sep 15, 2018 – President

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate that during your time here you were able to see how our investment in helping our employees feel valued is a critical part of our... More

2. "Great place to develop software"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PEAK6 Investments full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Modern tech stack applied to challenging problems, great work environment and colleagues, investments in employee development with plenty of internal growth opportunities. I've worked in prop trading for 10 years and am glad I landed at Peak6.

Cons

Employees are held to high standards

Jan 23, 2019 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. At PEAK6, we put an emphasis on developing a work environment where employees feel valued, are proud of their accomplishments, and work hard to solve... More

"Stayaway"

I have been working at PEAK6 Investments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice are in Chicago, IL

Cons

Pretty much everything else; the interview process is flawed

Advice to Management

Fire middle management

Feb 1, 2019 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate hearing feedback from our employees who have been with us for a significant part of their careers. We work hard to help our employees... More

"Fun and challenging"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PEAK6 Investments full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone in technology has been a joy to work with. The people are smart, collaborative, and helpful. You have a lot of opportunities to expand your skill set and grow. The projects have been very fulfilling and challenging overall.

I also notice an effort amongst the senior management to get feedback on how they can improve the workplace which is awesome.

Everyone is passionate about what they're working on. You occasionally see a good part of the tech team grinding on their projects late into the evening and this is where all the team bonding and fun shenanigans/jokes happen.

Cons

Occasionally we're grinding on our projects late into the evening.

Advancement (the path to raises, promotions) isn't straightforward

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your people whether it's company events or education.
    Compensation/advancement when it comes to promotions or raises should be more clear

Dec 12, 2018 – President

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate your feedback. PEAK6 is a collaborative environment where employee opinions matter. When employees offer feedback, we are able to improve... More

"Senior Management"

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time

Pros

Fast-paced, challenging work.
    Meritocracy based promotion structure.
    Collaborative team based approach to trading.
    High ethical standards.
    Strong focus on education.
    Innovative and flexible proprietary trading platform.

Cons

Not for people uncomfortable with change, though change isn't done just for the sake of change.

Advice to Management

Continue to expand the management group to include the next wave of top talent.

Oct 24, 2018 – President

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate your feedback. As you highlight, we take a highly collaborative approach to our teams in all parts of our businesses and our environment... More

"Trader"

Former Employee - Trader
    Former Employee - Trader

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are top notch.
    Great perks like free food, parties, educational resources, etc.
    Some really great people who are both hilarious and helpful.
    The trading environment is one of collaboration.
    Great education program for trading assistants.

Cons

Some organizational decisions are not always best explained.
    Compensation isn’t strait-forward.
    Momentum is real.

Advice to Management

Thank you for a great learning environment and investing in your traders’ success. Would suggest focusing more on traders’ career advancement, but the firm does a great job at developing traders or at least giving TA’s the opportunity to become successful traders. I think some or most of the negative reviews are either from tech employees or traders/TAs who couldn’t hack it. Would recommend.

Sep 15, 2018 – President

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. Education and employee development are important components of our culture and we are glad that you have had a positive experience. Please reach out to... More

"Great place to work"

I have been working at PEAK6 Investments full-time

Pros

Smart, great group of people, I enjoy coming in to work every day.
    I learn something new every day even after years of being at the company.
    The most forward thinking company I know of in the industry.
    Not just a trading firm. Always thinking about how to continue growth of the company and people.
    People are encouraged to speak their minds about ideas and things we could do different/better. Not just to your manager but to anyone in leadership.
    Very fun place to work. Great events where employees get to know each other better and build bonds.
    Opportunities exist to take on bigger/different roles because the company is always trying new things outside of trading too.

Cons

If you do not speak up and believe in yourself and your abilities, stronger co-workers will pass you by.
    You need to be bought in to improving yourself and the place you work. If you simply want "a job" this is not the place for you. It's hard work but the rewards can be great if you buy in.
    Snacks are just ok.
    Communication is not perfect. Leadership tries but points out how it's hard to communicate so everyone hears the same message. But they say they are actively trying to improve.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing ahead. I greatly appreciate working for leaders who care about my future and the future of our company.

Sep 15, 2018 – President

Thanks for submitting your review. Working for leaders who care about you and your future is key to employee engagement. Our investment in people goes beyond money. Education and growth are an... More

"If you can get hired here, you can easily get hired somewhere better."

I worked at PEAK6 Investments (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart coworkers, cool office space

Cons

Shoddy tech and a culture of avoiding blame, rather than collaborating to solve fundamental issues.

Advice to Management

Culture is built slowly and intentionally, not dictated from he C-suite

Sep 15, 2018 – President

Thanks for submitting your review. We know that our company isn’t for everyone but we know that those who find success here are committed to hard work and adaptability. Our investment in people goes... More

"If you love management by chaos, this is your place."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Office space is nice, free snacks, yoga, fun company parties/concerts.

Cons

Extremely political, hardly diverse in terms of women and forget about being respected (don't be fooled that the co-founder is female), unprofessional environment and toxic corporate culture. Ruthless environment run by ego maniacs.

Advice to Management

No comment, they aren't interested in advice. Their money does the talking.

Sep 15, 2018 – President

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are committed to our core values and work to operate ethically and with integrity in all aspects of our business. We maintain a diverse workforce... More

"A one-trick pony not ready for prime time."

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time

Pros

- Giveaways for people who write positive reviews on Glassdoor. This, despite the potential to run afoul of FTC Disclosure requirements, leads to transparently fake reviews...but at least there are 5 stars by them.

- The money they save by not providing severance to laid off employees is spent on things like a Trivia night. The Trivia night has free appetizers.

- 7 flavors of LaCroix in the fridge. That includes lime.

Cons

- They don't listen to the experts they hire to do a job. It's obvious they've been successful at one thing. But, until they listen to people who are better than them at other things, the company won't go anywhere.

- As others have said on this site, the CMO is a feckless contrarian who everyone from her team to the owners actively avoid. Everything people said about her is true but nothing is done about it.

- People uprooted their life to move and work on this project team. Then, they were laid off with little reason and no severance. You shouldn't work here unless you are willing to dip into your emergency fund when the owners change their mind.

Advice to Management

- You can't buy culture. Stop throwing money at it. Culture comes from individuals given the ability to be the experts you hired them to be.

- Don't lure people to work for you if you're not able or willing to commit. You messed up a bunch of really great humans' lives for a while. It's not cool to sell one thing and then deliver another.

Sep 15, 2018 – President

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I understand you did not have a positive experience at PEAK6, and as part of the marketing team you likely would have worked on various projects that... More