PEAK6 Investments Reviews | Glassdoor

PEAK6 Investments Reviews

Updated October 12, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The office space is impressive and can attract people to the company on its own (in 22 reviews)

• Lots of good snacks, smart people (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is tough specially in technology area (in 8 reviews)

• low pay for trading if not in top percentile, management is disconnected from workers, very boring work, long hours, any talking is almost prohibited (in 6 reviews)

"analyst"

Pros

Has bright and driven employees. Cool office space with food in kitchen. Daily excitement with trading and attempts to implement and leverage technology

Cons

Not open to new ideas. Hard to get a serious audience. Will ignore data that is inconsistent with prior beliefs.

May 25, 2016 – CEO, Capital Management

Thanks. We definitely have a fast paced environment and things move quickly. Sorry to hear you felt we’re not open to or don’t see the value in new ideas. As you might imagine with a business our... More

"Great place to start your career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Extensive on-board training and mentor program

Cons

Hard to know where to focus

Apr 22, 2016 – President

Good to hear — thanks. We have a pretty comprehensive training program, so glad to hear you found value in the program. And, if you have more insights on your comment about finding it hard to know... More

"Challenging but rewarding place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

As many others have pointed out, this is a fast paced, high risk, high rewarding environment.

PEAK6 has a great track record and reputation in the options trading industry, but they've also had success at launching new businesses, selling businesses, and fixing broken businesses.

The office space is very impressive, and they have many nice perks (great health benefits, annual parties, poker tournaments, willingness to send people to conferences, stocked kitchen, Friday bagel days, etc).

The reason I stay at PEAK6 is because of the people. Management has focused on improving the culture over the last few years and it's paying off. Is this the perfect place to work, no, but the perfect place doesn't exist. PEAK6 is constantly looking to improve the environment for their employees, and they reward those who put in the time and effort.

They have sophisticated home grown trading technology that continues to get better with time.

This firm is one of the best at managing risk, which is why they've been around for nearly 20 years and have managed to avoid blowing up.

Cons

This firm and industry are challenging to work in. Management demands that employees give their best, which makes this a place where lazy people can't hide (I actually think this is a pro).

Long hours are required (so work life balance suffers at times).

The org structure can make it feel as if you have numerous bosses at times (instructions and priorities coming at you from different directions).

Communication continues to improve, but still has a way to go.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing your employees. It helps us all grow and become better individuals and professionals.

Continue to diversify and identify additional business opportunities that employees can help operate, this is what sets PEAK6 apart from other traditional trading firms.

Comp is an area where other firms may provide an advantage, so make sure you're paying the people you don't want to leave. Once they are gone it's too late.

Make sure your top talent isn't at risk of burning out.

Identify the disgruntled employees who are clearly unhappy, and help them find the door. The negative/unhappy people do nothing but complain and hold the team back.

Advice to others -
    We all have choices in life, and where you work is one of them. For those that are still working at PEAK6 but are rating it low stars and complaining on glassdoor, please move on. You owe it to yourself to be happy.

Mar 30, 2016 – President

Great review — thanks for the feedback! You hit on a number of important issues at PEAK6, and capture a number of things we talk about regularly. I love your last point around identifying people who... More

"Open and encouraging environment"

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent level of flexibility and independence is given to employees responsible for profit generation.

Cons

Sometimes high expectations are given without tangible support or guidance. Almost like a double-edged sword. Employee talent can be underdeveloped as they can end up spending an inordinate amount of time working on something less ideal just because it's useful for someone higher up.

Mar 30, 2016 – President

Thanks for taking the time to provide a review about your time at PEAK6. It’s good to hear that you felt empowered. I agree that we have high expectations for people and we do want people to work in... More

"Great Opportunity but you have to work for it!"

I have been working at PEAK6 Investments full-time

Pros

Fast paced constantly changing trading environment. New traders go through an extensive training program and then get to learn first hand from the most successful traders in the firm. This leads to high success rates and a great team atmosphere. If you like to work hard and put in the hours to figure it out they sky is the limit. There are no barriers. Access to high levels of capital, constantly evolving idea generation tools, and competitive compensation make this a unique place to work.

Cons

PEAK6 still has some problems evolving away from a small trading shop to a big time firm. Meaning the structure might be too flat and we can do a better job empowering employees with decision making power to aid them in their longer term career paths. Also as a firm we like to try many new ventures, both in trading and otherwise, which is awesome but we can do a better job aligning employee incentives with firm goals to push the needle even faster.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to feedback and pushing forward, I think things are on the right track.

Mar 30, 2016 – President

Thanks for sharing your feedback about life at PEAK6 — it’s good to know that you feel things are on the right track. I agree we are still evolving from a trading firm to a broader organization... More

"Trader"

I have been working at PEAK6 Investments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Peak6 is a great place to work: the company has an established business model but also has an entrepreneurial atmosphere. The people here are smart and imaginative, always looking to improve and do things better. Management is great. They have an open door policy and listen to suggestions. Furthermore, they are always trying to find ways to engage and develop their employees.

Cons

I do feel sometimes we are very fast and aggressive, but sometimes too slow and careful. I think we can find a better balance. There should be a little more flexibility in strategies as well, especially when there are good reasons to do so.

Advice to Management

Keep the open door policy. Continue to develop and improve both the overall business plan and the employees.

Mar 30, 2016 – President

Appreciate the positive feedback. A lot of your feedback is directly tied to areas where we’ve been actively focusing on improving, so always good to hear things are going well. Also, interesting... More

"Fast Paced, High Risk, High Reward Environment"

I have been working at PEAK6 Investments full-time

Pros

The people they hire, at least in Tech, are among the best of the best and you can't help but improve your own skill set by being around them.There's a lot of exposure to new technologies on the cutting edge of the industry, which is also a great opportunity for growth in one's own skill set.

The perks of working at Peak6 are a huge plus in my book: company-sponsored sports teams, snacks in the break room, regular team outings to restaurants, etc. Also, every year they have an annual party that's a blast. All this leads to an environment where you like your coworkers like they're your friends, and many of them are friends outside of work.

Cons

They seem to be having a big problem with employee retention in Tech. I wish I knew exactly why it was, but there's a lot of people that have been leaving lately because they feel like they're doing menial, thankless jobs, and management isn't making a concerted effort to fix the issue.

Advice to Management

For Tech management: fix the problem with employee retention. Hire faster, retain longer, and prioritize the issue of 1st tier support that's causing so much discontent.

Mar 17, 2016 – CTO

Thanks — it’s encouraging to hear your positive feedback about our tech team. The collaborative, spirited environment you describe is a definitely part of our culture we strive for, so it’s good to... More

"Right place to be for me"

Current Employee - Derivatives Trader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Derivatives Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PEAK6 Investments full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Approaching 10 year as a trader for Peak6. Obviously it's not smooth sailing all the time. Plenty of ups and downs along the way. If you are a hard worker and committed to being successful in this business then this is the place to be. You will have plenty of support from other traders to help you along the way. Technology and management changes over the past few years, has had a big impact on my impression for the future. .

Cons

Getting things done on the tech side can have its trouble spots. I think faster turnaround on projects is needed. Trader priority should come before anything else. Sometimes I feel tech is shorthanded. (problem being addressed more recently) Cost at times can be high, however you can take steps to manage cost.

Advice to Management

Improve turnaround time on tech projects. Tech projects that take couple of hours should not be in que for months or even years.

Mar 17, 2016 – President

Thanks. It’s great to hear from someone who’s been with PEAK6 through these periods of growth. We do feel like we’ve made great strides in a number of areas. Also appreciate you sharing your feedback... More

"PEAK6"

Current Employee - Options Trader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Options Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PEAK6 Investments (More than 3 years)

Pros

PEAK6 makes it a point to hire for culture, so I enjoy spending time with my peers. Trading is a tough business, but the firm is a great place to become a volatility trader. Trading is an entrepreneurial activity, so your success will ultimately be on you; however, the firm has the tools, capital, and resources to give you a great chance.

Cons

Slightly too focused on short term under performance at times.

Advice to Management

N/A

Mar 17, 2016 – President

Sounds like you’ve had a good experience at PEAK6 — glad to hear it. Opportunity is definitely available at PEAK6, but as you point out, it also means stepping up and taking those opportunities... More

"Trader review"

Current Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL

Pros

A lot of in-house knowledge of equity options. A decent set of trader teams that can each be profitable independently. Good opportunity set if you're able to get on the right track. Awesome office space. Management has made good progress focusing on culture and transparency.

Cons

Trader comp is below industry averages, very significantly below any top tier trading firm. In-house tech slightly behind a lot of off-the-shelf products. Upper management tends to be more ruthless than not.

Mar 8, 2016 – Trading Business Manager

Thanks — good feedback on your experiences as a trader. Glad to hear, too, that you feel there’s opportunity for you. Appreciate that you see the focus on culture and transparent communication... More