PEAK6 Investments Reviews | Glassdoor

PEAK6 Investments Reviews

Updated April 9, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • The office space is impressive and can attract people to the company on its own (in 20 reviews)

• Lots of good snacks, smart people (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is tough specially in technology area (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management tends to be more ruthless than not (in 6 reviews)

1. "Feedback"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

I wil recommend people for this company

Cons

Need more salary, for bigger roles.

Jan 26, 2016 – President

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We’re happy to hear that you feel PEAK6 is a great place to work. If you have specific thoughts or feedback on how our compensation is structured, please don’t ... More

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PEAK6 Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PEAK6 offers a great opportunity and fantastic upside for an exciting company that is always "on the go" and always looking to improve. Employees are constantly challenged to give their best and that their best gets better every day. Have an idea you want to own and make your own? The company welcomes it and encourages it and will help you cultivate it. Opportunity is there to be more than just a trader. Manage your own group, start a new strategy, or take part in other initiatives.

Their technology is very slick. They spend a lot of time and resources to be the best and have the most up to date, economical tools on the street. Where speed and fractions of pennies matter, they take those details seriously and it saves the firm millions of dollars per year.

Their recruiting and training efforts are 2nd to none. They spend a lot of time with their newest employees and make them feel like they belong from day 1. They say they invest in people: they do. A great training program with a dedicated sr. Trader who is 100% devoted to the success of new trading associates make it a great place to learn and gives new hires a great chance to succeed and be prepared for added career growth. Talent in the trading area tends to stay for a long time. This says something about the opportunity and upside at the firm. The culture at the firm is fun, open, and collaborative. Co workers hang out outside of work. People genuinely like the people they work with. And the firm has done a lot to improve the culture and hire "good fits"

Cons

Employees are treated fairly, and upper management and the partners demand a lot. When it comes time for a pat on the back or acknowledging a job well done, they are few and far between. Compensation is fair and good work is recognized there, but beyond that is almost non existent.

Technology is rampant at the firm and is a must for an ever growing company. The products that the tech team release are great, but what is decided upon seems haphazard. Some projects get forgotten or delayed so much they wind up on the cutting room floor. Updates on what and why are few and people who send in ideas for new tools are not adequately updated and sometimes result in people not sending in more ideas. The staff seems to have abundant turnover.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge your employees with more frequent praise. It will show you care about them instead of just paying them. The firm is still small enough where employees are not a number.

I'm not sure how, but communication between tech and trading should continue to be addressed. The culture in the tech side seems lower than the trading side.

Jan 26, 2016 – President

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate your kind words for our management team and are happy to hear that you feel PEAK6 is a great place to work. We really value every person’s ... More

"Cogs in a Machine"

Former Employee - Java Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Java Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great parties. Some fun people and great technology. Interesting space to work in and plenty of money to get new equipment.

Cons

Constant turn-over. Staffing up teams just to lay most of them off again. Little regard for doing things the right way. Very demoralizing.

Advice to Management

Care about what your doing and the people you're hiring. Don't encourage handfuls of "long term" employees to make all the decisions.

Jan 26, 2016 – President

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize that you had a negative experience at PEAK6. We strive to create an environment where every employee is empowered to share their ideas and be a part of key ... More

"Bright people, entrepreneurial management"

Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Partners and senior management are all best in class. PEAK6 is a data driven organization and decisions are made with logic not emotion. Also, the organization manages risk very well which is critical in the trading industry. The company is innovative and never looks to stay stagnant. The founders regularly seek out new opportunities so employees can look forward to their jobs always growing. Overall a great place to work for those that value ownership, accountability and change.

Cons

This is not a 'touchy feely' company from an employee perspective. Given really high standards, don't expect a pat on the back for success. The bar keeps getting higher so pushes employees to keep growing.

Advice to Management

Great company which I highly respect. Just try to spend a little more time with employees directly and make them feel a bit more valued rather than being solely transactional.

Aug 13, 2015 – President

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate your kind words for our management team and are happy to hear that you felt PEAK6 was a great place to work. We really value every person’s ... More

"Started good but structural changes turned in sour"

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time

Pros

Challenging at first
    Fast paced
    Awesome parties and bands
    Awesome food

Cons

Bad couture , managers are overpowered and manipulative , no values , managers are so nagging that it leaves your frustrated all the time. No good management for support work in technology .. Burn out due to poor management of non office hours of support . No system of feedback.
    Some managers literally harass on missing any thing ..

Advice to Management

Listen to your people.
    Value their time and service
    Parties do not make up for all burn outs ..

Aug 13, 2015 – President

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize that you had a negative experience at PEAK6. We truly strive to provide each employee with a work environment that allows them to grow to their fullest ... More

"Good balance between small and huge. Financial culture without the edge"

Former Employee - Technology in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Technology in Chicago, IL

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working in a few different areas/roles, there were plenty of opportunities to find something you liked. It's ok to stumble a little.. the organization helps find a role that fits you and them if you have potential. Sometimes the culture and rumors make it sound like that's not the case.

It's a no non-sense and fact oriented culture, which for me was a plus. Don't expect to BS your way to success. Less cutthroat than typical financial/trading stereotypes, however. It's no startup, but you can have an impact.

Cons

There's a feeling that it's constantly in transition. They want to keep everyone adapting and changing.. sometimes that doesn't land for most. It's probably the root of most of the reviews here mentioning lack of focus.

Advice to Management

Things are trending positive. Keep making those changes and opportunities for top performers.

Feb 17, 2015 – President

Thanks for your feedback. We're glad that you were able to take advantage of the diverse range of opportunities at the company and you felt supported to find the right opportunity. We are always ... More

"Overall awful place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits package including 401K matching (discretionary), health care, life insurance, etc.

Cons

1. Compensation is far below standards in prop trading. It is also very opaque so it is very difficult to know exactly all of the variables that affect your compensation.
    2. Enormous paradox in how they operate. They claim to be constantly evolving and looking to develop new strategies/ideas but in reality, this couldn't be further from the truth. They have been doing the same strategy for 20 years and any idea that radically strays away from that is shut down.
    3. They treat employees like garbage. People are often fired without warning and there is no severance package to soften the blow. They take you into a room for a meeting and you are not allowed to go back to the desk afterwards, not even to grab your things. You are led outside while someone from HR collects your belongings and brings it out to you.
    4. Nonexistent career opportunities. No transparent path for going up the ranks. Senior management is essentially a group of friends that knew each other from college or previous firms.

Advice to Management

Maintain some kind of focus and treat your employees better.

Feb 17, 2015 – President

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We strive to create a great environment for employees and I am sorry you did not have an overall better experience with PEAK6. If there is anything additional ... More

"Great place to get your foot in the door if you're looking at a career in trading or tech support for the industry."

Former Employee - Desk Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Desk Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- I felt comfortable approaching even the highest-ranking individuals at the firm in many different situations.
    - Food, beverages & snacks galore in the 2nd floor kitchen area. Company parties aren't too shabby either.
    - Beautiful office space.
    - Tech admins do their best to ensure you have the right tech set-up in order to fulfill your duties, as well as go above and beyond what you're tasked with in a given day/week -- if you so choose.

Cons

- Very little tech support beyond what is provided for the trading desk. I understand the reasoning for this, but it would have been nice to have a dedicated team of individuals that might have helped streamline some of the trader support / compliance / monitoring tasks that continued to pile on as the firm grew in size during my 2+ years at the firm. I suppose that is the nature of the business, unfortunately, so I don't see that changing at P6 anytime soon,

- Little to no chance for mobility within the firm as a non-trader unless you have made the political connections neccessary to put yourself in such a position. To be frank, if you get a job here and realize your manager(s) is (are) not going to advocate for you to the extent that you might deem fair, especially given the effort expended for them, you are most likely S.O.L. That's not to say movement upward through the firm can't be done -- it's just that I don't know anyone who has pulled it off. It is very hard to stay motivated when you come to realize this is the case and you feel your career is stalling at the ripe ages of 23 - 26.

- This is directed at the partnership -- particularly CapMan partners and DHs -- if you task someone with a drill-down project looking at return volatility, market trends, option liquidity, division profitability, et al, it would be greatly appreciated if the process were iterative, with an open dialogue kept between the requestor and requestee. I know that partners and DHs are unbelievable busy, but guidance and collaboration (in terms of ideas) is critical to really nailiing down some of the initiatives that are being looked at.

Advice to Management

All in all, I truly loved my time at Peak6.

- Was it frustrating? Yes.

- Did I love waking up at 5:30 AM to make to the office on time to complete reports and watch the market open? Not so much.

- Was I working with some incredibly smart people that I look up to this very day? ABSOLUTELY.

I hope for nothing but the best for P6 in the future. Please let some of my "negative" comments marinate. I'm sure there is room for improvement in those areas, and I wouldn't be surprised if some current higher-ups didn't at least partially agree with those sentiments.

Feb 3, 2015 – President

Thanks for your feedback. We're disappointed you're no longer with the firm and wish you well in your new role. Your comments were very helpful and we appreciate your balanced perspective on your ... More

"Do your home work closely before signing on the line. I mean REALLY do your homework."

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The funny thing is that I can't disagree with the free drinks and snacks but isn't that truly a sad overall commentary about the company? Don't be fooled by the flashy new website with all the "smiling" faces. This place is a shell of what it once was.

Cons

It's really one of the most bizarre working environments I have come across. Again, despite the seemingly "upbeat vibe" the management tries to put out it's really just a smokescreen for a cold, and cutthroat reality that faces you. Would you believe they have cameras installed virtually everywhere on the premises watching and monitoring your presence. I just can't make this stuff up I assure you.

Advice to Management

The thing you have to realize is that the management is very rich and do not want or "appreciate" your advice. In fact doing that will prove to be dangerous to your career longevity there.

Feb 3, 2015 – President

I am disappointed to hear about your experience at PEAK6. We try to encourage debate across the organization to iterate and work through the best approach to re-frame a problem. The management team ... More

"It's a place to work but not excel"

Former Employee - Junior Trader in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Junior Trader in Chicago, IL

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diverse investment in different business

Cons

Very conservative in risk taking

Aug 1, 2014 – President

Thanks for your feedback. We appreciate you acknowledging the diversity of our businesses. This has been a focus for us and we are growing here. Risk management is also something we focus on at ... More