KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

The latest conversations about Finance

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Smart people to work with.(in 26 reviews)
  • "Nice office space is the only positive that comes to mind(in 11 reviews)
  • "There is a lot of effort around creating a great culture(in 11 reviews)
  • "1. good benefits(in 8 reviews)
  • "2. nice office(in 5 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

good

May 4, 2022 - Software Developer
    Business Outlook

Pros

awesome place, place, place, place

Cons

none none none none none

2. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good for internal relationship building - not good for overall company culture

Feb 28, 2022 - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunity to work across multiple departments and expand your knowledge of the industry is a plus. Many intelligent people who want change management and to make a difference within their teams. I have created some life-long friendships with many co-workers that I never would have met if it wasn't for this role. The company does indeed set out to hire change makers - however it stops at the hiring. I do very much love my direct team and those I work alongside each day. They are the true MVPs!

Cons

Out of all the amazing people who do work here - we are all treated the same and not in a good way. We are belittled for our intelligence, we are called names, and we are "gaslighted" into believing that we are less than. I've been with the company for over 2 ears and still no merit increase - they say it's due to the pandemic, but yet they brag at how profitable we have been through it. They also insult us by saying that we are only productive if we come into the office - even after we've proven to be incredible successful in a remote environment. We know we won't be remote forever - but being told that we are unsuccessful due to being remote was the largest form of gaslighting/insult I've ever seen.

15 people found this review helpful
  3. 1.0
    Current Employee

Fake

Jun 28, 2022 - Software Developer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Not really sure I can think of any at this time.

Cons

A recent job for one of the founders explains all the PR work that has been going on. Fix the problem not try to cover it. Geez. "Oversee social media activity to ensure that the Co-Founder is viewed in a positive light at all times"

3 people found this review helpful
  4. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Value yourself because PEAK6 will not.

Feb 8, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are a handful of gems at the company, but they are leaving.

Cons

1) Underpaying employees - everyone I know that has left is making 10-30K more after leaving, and those were for non-trading roles. 2) The environment is toxic. REALLY TOXIC. 3) Your expertise does not matter to them. Even if you are hired to do a job, if the ownership has made up their mind, you have already lost. 4) Upper management. This one is two fold, as they are not actually able to do the work they need to (a waste of talent in that regard) and seem to be grossly blind to the reality and feelings of their employees.

28 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Smart people, caring, interesting

Mar 8, 2022 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company is very supportive, lots of interesting problems, great people. The problems are interesting. As an engineer there is a lot of opportunity to take ownership. Good size—not too big but not small. The tech org does product well. They are very introspective, always looking to improve.

Cons

I have read many of the other reviews and have not experienced the dysfunction or problems with management that others have mentioned. Base compensation is on the lower end as it’s more bonus driven.

6. 2.0
    Current Employee

Textbook Insanity

Feb 26, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Smart people, diversity of businesses (could be a con depending…) fast paced.

Cons

The environment is chaotic, constant change (although they like to spin this as an advantage, when it's nothing more than confusion, mismanagement (and micromanagement) of people, processes, and businesses. Consistent misalignment and turnover among leadership, zero goals/planning and a desire to be on the cutting edge, when all they do is push people over it with their nonsensical behavior and rhetoric. Politics and the amount of layers are out of control. Sure, as you get larger and scale, more structure is needed, but all you see is useless middle management that can't seem to get out of the way.. They tout transparency when in reality you're left in the dark, with decisions made behind your back. Know your place and keep your head down. Oh, and expect below average pay with fake performance review measures and processes... Zero empowerment and a facade of opportunity and growth as you can move between businesses and "take ownership." Very few are successful and those that are (or think they are) have likened themselves to "yes" men/women who know what happens when you push back, ask questions, and are the least bit curious...if you like drinking the kool-aid and becoming a robot, this might be the best place for you. Sad to see so many talented employees leave, while dead weight hangs around..they don't care about feedback or taking accountability for anything. you'll simply be replaced and they will find someone else who they can "sell" their story to for the short-term until the cycle repeats itself.... With each review and employee that leaves, the mentality is very much "it's you" not us...zero humility, vulnerability or desire to listen and be better.

21 people found this review helpful
  7. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Good campus program, subpar overall

Jan 29, 2022 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

The campus program(where a lot of the tech leads emerged from) is great for those coming out of college to get comfortable and hone their skills in a professional environment. The folks you work with on a day to day manner are generally awesome and great to work with.

Cons

Despite their claims of being a tech first firm it’s abundantly clear that this is not the case . Upper management is unwilling to adapt to the evolving market and value employees accordingly. Peak6 tries to use a agile and product mindset but does so in a very ineffective manner which frustrates engineers and inhibits tech growth.

15 people found this review helpful
  8. 4.0
    Former Employee

Good company to work for

Mar 21, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good culture, dedicated people, most people are not overworked

Cons

None come to mind right now

9. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

When in bad times, you were asked to hold on; when in good times, you were paid peanuts.

Mar 18, 2022 - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

A lot of decent people to work with both on the trading and tech side. They do their best with strong motivations.

Cons

1. As is said in the headline, you were asked to take a cut on your bonus in bad times and were told that we were going to be great again. Then you thought it meant proportional bonus to firm's earnings in bad or good times, but no way they would do this to the tech folks when things get better. Yet they claim to be a tech company and indeed it is the tech that makes trades possible during crazy markets with all my due respect to traders. 2. Some managers are aweful - no surprise as from point 1. They would give a bad review citing random projects from the previous review cycle, which happened to be good samples before. They just don't care about you or your need. They care about their own reimbursement/level etc. What's the point of working there being ripped off financially and mentally? 3. Why it is still successful? You don't need to be nice to all your employees to be successful. People like winners. Is it replicable? - Yes. With a few experienced traders and architecture/techs and capital, you are 30% on your way to a trading shop if you have a team working together. That's what I meant about tech in point 1, technology lays the platform, traders stay or come and go so strategies evolve. But what does tech receive ? Cheap talk like being proudly presented as part of a team that builds a successful technology company in all hands.

14 people found this review helpful
  10. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

High Growth

Jan 14, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you like fast paced, its good

Cons

Lots of pivots Founder run and dictated

Viewing 1 - 10 of 150 Reviews

PEAK6 Reviews FAQs

PEAK6 has an overall rating of 3.3 out of 5, based on over 163 reviews left anonymously by employees. 54% of employees would recommend working at PEAK6 to a friend and 70% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, PEAK6 employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at PEAK6. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

54% of PEAK6 employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated PEAK6 3.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.0 for culture and values and 3.2 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at PEAK6 to be benefits, career development, coworkers and the cons to be senior leadership, culture, management.

Popular Careers with PEAK6 Job Seekers