PEAK6 Reviews

Updated May 2, 2021

PEAK6 Co-founder and Chief Executive Officer Matthew Hulsizer
Matthew Hulsizer
Pros
  • "Nice office space, free snacks, some nice co-workers(in 25 reviews)

• "You get the chance to work with some really smart people(in 15 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Tough work life balance at times(in 11 reviews)

• "Engineers are not happy because they are tasked with dumb things that add zero value to the traders(in 10 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Demanding but rewarding place to work

Dec 13, 2020 - Finance Director in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

P6 offers a lot of opportunities for hard workers and rewards taking chances

Cons

Very high expectations and sometimes tough to balance work and life.

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Let’s say this again

May 2, 2021 - Software Developer in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

One thing you always learn is a compliment follows a criticism. Looks like this is what Glassdoor wants a reviewer to do, hence this section - since N/A is not an acceptable option, I will state that I am still trying to find something really positive to say about my experience at CapMan.

Cons

It is a very strange place to say the least. Strawman arguments abound. A lacking cohesive vision is considered a core competency. They are certainly not guilty of being ahead of the curve - any curve really. Objectively, they are many years behind their industry peers and do the best work leading from behind. Yet, the propaganda machine invokes trailblazers and innovators to brainwash people into believing they are something they are not. Operational excellence is a term used all the time. Again, an objective definition of operational excellence will confirm what Peak6 calls excellence, the industry peer group calls mediocrity. Although the term “industry peer” is used loosely here because CapMan is in a class by itself - all the world class prop trading firms are in another class. If Peak6 were a country they would be closest to North Korea. A community that hues to an ideology that is so ancient, so based on a cult of personalities that it is easy for outsiders to expose but difficult for lifers to understand - because they have been brainwashed. And hence the company’s insistence on hiring people right out of college, eschewing experienced trading hires (or any experienced hire from another well run peer). If they need to hire for experience, it is usually from an industry that is not financial services related. This way no one knows any better. Look at the list of experienced hires - senior people some - who come here with no experience whatsoever in financial services, let alone proprietary trading. These people take a joke of a company and make it into a sitcom worthy of a Thursday night airing on CBS. Another line used all the time is that “it is a tribe”. Yes, a tribe it is - an uncontacted one at that - which has the ideology of self-isolation. You are in the tribe, but few if any become members of the tribe. For that tenure is the only option - the longer you stay, the more you atrophy and the more you are rewarded because you have stuck around. Skills, experience, outcomes, leadership - none of these matter. Also, you are not allowed to know more than the dear leaders because doing so puts a target on your back as the egos are fragile but their pocketbook is virtually unlimited.

4 people found this review helpful
    3. 4.0

The push to be better

Sep 11, 2020 - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Since I've joined PEAK6 there has been a realization that we can constantly be doing better in all areas of the business. Leadership is trying to diagnose these areas and it's clear they want to get feedback in order to move a certain direction. - Our Agile practices are definitely not perfect, but the push to make them better as a member of a team are there. - The people who work at this company in our trading, engineering, and other departments are very talented. - Culture from being in the office to being remote is obviously different but everyone is trying to normalize it with different virtual/social distanced events. - Lots of opportunity to create your own path

Cons

- There has been a lot of turnover since I've been here and I'm seeing a lot of negative comments towards those individuals trying to pick up the slack. - There have been some attempts to fill out surveys and other initiatives that have fell short and have been dragged through the mud. - There has been a lot of disparate items attempted to make our Agile processes better which is somewhat a good initiative but it needs to be more thought out and wholesome. - A lot of people have been stuck in their own ways and unwilling to change or have not been with another company to see things differently

3 people found this review helpful
    4. 3.0

Read the fine print

Sep 11, 2020 - Ops
      Business Outlook

Pros

Colleagues are great, office is beautiful and they try to be a fun place to work.

Cons

When they say that this place isn't for everyone what it really means is: -our goal setting process changes year-to-year: so hard to understand your own professional development and hold management accountable for real goals because they are consistently reinventing the wheel -leadership at the highest levels is always changing: unable to have long-term vision because no one is at the top long enough and org thrown into chaos at every turn -lack of consistency in performance evaluation (see above as main causes): your role can be moved to fit their whims and plug gaps in newsest acquisition. Tenure is about the only thing that matters for significant advancement. -compensation is inconsistent: you will always be paid below industry standards and colleagues with same or less experience can regularly be paid more than you just depends on the moods of leadership (not an exaggeration literally no system in place for final check and approvals from owners) -get you in early to to take advantage of your lack of life experiences: truly in hopes you will not be able to see they above and by the time you do it will have been the only job you've known so leaving is even scarier

15 people found this review helpful
    5. 1.0

1 out of 5

Mar 18, 2021 - Software Developer in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

The fact that I don't have to be in the office anymore is a giant PLUS. No more drama, no more managers coming up and intimidating employees, no more useless meetings, no more office politics.

Cons

Everything they tell you about this place take with a grain of salt. The truth is worse. It is a very very very political place. It is very bureaucratic. It is all about PowerPoints, facetime and blindly drinking the Koolaid. If you are the type of person who will not question anything and will just follow orders without rocking the boat - you will do awesome here. If you have any amount of ambition and character you will not survive. Toxic culture, backward looking, underwhelming place that will pretend to be something it is not.

11 people found this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

"Why aren't you staying past your scheduled hours"

Dec 28, 2020 - Developer in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Cool office/location. - cool paintings in the office - cool building shape

Cons

- I had 3 convos with my manager about why I was leaving on time or as he called it: leaving early? Thats not an exaggeration. weird weird weird work culture. sad when I see more senior engineers say they're leaving "early" at 6pm CST. Everyone got in around 7am-8am. - I understand salary jobs means no overtime BUT they will take every second they can get from you. get in early, stay late. - management is seriously the worst part about peak6. they tend not to do much, although a manager here or there can have a cool/impressive background most of their time is spent working on PowerPoints. Yes, managers are constantly developing PPT slides or Google slides. It feels like it is out of a movie. Additionally, flat structure is a joke. as a dev I never met my cto who worked one or two rows away. and it's not like this is the cto of google, it's a medium sized company with CONSTANT team pow wows. - severely underpaid. even some employees there don't realize this. compare the salary of any role at p6 with the equivalent role at BAM or Citadel and youre losing out on at least $10-$15k a year (including healthcare, office perks, monthly nail appointments etc) - why don't some employees recognize this? Because of HR Propaganda. this is one of the weirdest parts about peak6. basically they will constantly present this "lattice" ladder of improvement. "Just because it is a lateral shift does not mean it's bad!" ....what??? - hyper college like campus where you are expected to work within the culture and consider people there your only friends and treat "professors" (managers) like deities. don't believe me? go ahead and sign that offer letter. they purposely try to hire outside of the city theyre hiring for to curate an internal community. Walmart employs similar tactics when hiring managers. - realistically, if you are going there to trade, I can't convince you to not join because theyre PR is strong. as a developer, I highly encourage you to keep applying elsewhere or to leverage their offer - very little career development. when you leave p6 youre really banking on just the raw number of years of experience, not really what you actually did. I had friends who were hired 1+ years before who did not get promotions, raises, or lateral transfers of their choice. - only hires female interns ( 😬)

15 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0

Great company!!

Dec 8, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

*people - wonderful colleagues and staff *office - super "people" friendly!

Cons

*working from home can be tough

8. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

No job security

Feb 19, 2021 - Processing Specialist II in Kalispell, MT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good hours work from home I had a nice manager

Cons

Constant lay offs, company sold 4 times

6 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0

Exciting place to work

Sep 14, 2020 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome atmosphere, I haven't found a barrier to contribute where I think I can make a difference. The company knows its strengths and weaknesses and works on both! The management team really listens and drives change. I am amazed at how much employee feedback is valued.

Cons

Not a lot. All cons have been communicated thanks to the openness for feedback.

3 people found this review helpful
    10. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company

Oct 9, 2020 - Trader in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company and great people.

Cons

Tough work life balance at times.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 174 Reviews