PEMCO Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
PEMCO Insurance President & CEO Stan W. McNaughton
Stan W. McNaughton

Pros
  • Great training, base salary plus excellent commission structure, good benefits (in 9 reviews)

• The 401k match is 2:1, unheard of anywhere else (in 6 reviews)

"Great company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PEMCO Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PEMCO likes to think of itself as a 'relationship company' and it's clear that it walks the walk. From the level of respect it has for its insured to the way it treats its employees (many of whom have worked here for 20, even 30 years!) this is a caring place and a first-class company. The 401k plan is incredible, too.

Cons

A bit behind on technology; with longevity, some employees can become a little complacent or set in their ways.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep company's core values in place while also moving forward with an eye towards the future; invest in the latest technology and actively seek out quality employees to replace the retiring ones.

2. "Claims"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PEMCO Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love my job, the people I work with. I am grateful for the opportunities I have been given and the chance to grow within an organization.

Cons

Commuting through the Mercer/Dexter mess.

"Intern"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great culture and climate. Supportive coworkers and management.

Cons

I was a summer intern, so I was limited on vacation and benefits.

Advice to Management

I felt supported during my internship.

"I will never leave PEMCO. This is the best company I have ever worked for!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at PEMCO Insurance part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual work environment, experienced and professional colleagues, great pay, excellent benefits and flexible work schedule.

Cons

None that I have experienced. I have only been with the company one year and have nothing negative to say so far.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Downhill"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at PEMCO Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, great 401K match

Cons

Appalling quality of middle manager. Over spend on new offices, so much they couldn't complete the work. Agile development methodology poorly implemented and no training. More and more senior managers / execs are ex Safeco, so culture is becoming like Safeco used to be. Managers and PMs pitching employees against each other, limited or no growth. Work flexibility is now terrible, no trust.

Advice to Management

Look very carefully at your middle managers, execs stop using words and start using actions.

7. "A Seattle institution"

Former Employee - Claims in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Claims in Seattle, WA

I worked at PEMCO Insurance (More than 10 years)

Pros

Classic Seattle friendly people, great 401k and benefits, company truly cares to do the right thing for its customers - it's not just a talking point.

Cons

A smaller company with minimal prospects for advancement, long tenured employees, struggles with its identity trying to be a small, local company at the same time as a modern, efficient American business.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, they truly care for customers and the company's long-term success.

"Management Is Confused"

I have been working at PEMCO Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits package is fantastic, and there are some great people working there.

Cons

Management has a hard time agreeing with each other, and the results of that fall to the employees doing the work.

Advice to Management

Organize your vision, Understand what your employees are thinking.

"Good place to work overall"

Current Employee - Claims Data Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Claims Data Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PEMCO Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent 401K, good medical and dental benefits; company has forward attitude towards technology and is relatively good to its people.

Cons

Relatively low pay - in line with insurance industry but significantly below regional median. Corporate officers no longer in the same building with the bulk of the rank and file employees. Little room for growth.

Advice to Management

You are competing with Amazon for the best people. If you want to keep them, you may need to rethink your pay scale.

"Very Relaxed"

I have been working at PEMCO Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is very relaxed and low pressure. Everybody is pretty nice. In my role, I have a lot of flexibility--some people work from home, others work in the office. If you need to get time off of work for a family issue, it's pretty easy to do that. There's a lot of people with high tenure there that can help you if you have any sort of question.

Cons

The high tenure is also an issue--the company is big on tribal knowledge. The biggest con is that there is not any advancement. Since everything is so slow paced and tenure is so high, there is no possibility of moving up at the company. The benefits are not the best and there is a general feeling of a lack of stability.

Advice to Management

Adjust how you manage your employees. PEMCO is no longer a place where you can have a life-long career, so please do not pitch that to people when they apply. Also learn how to plan and act.

"Pemco Employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

Pros

I really liked the culture, the care for employees, the activities and the efforts that leadership made to ensure a positive atmosphere @ Pemco. The pay was excellent and the benefits likewise. The people in the Spokane office were the best ;)

Cons

Middle Management positions constantly changed, Some CSRs hated dealing with people and were vocal about it, leadership seemed to be disconnected in some ways from the workforce.

Advice to Management

Please don't tell entry level employees alllllll about your amazing vacations. It's awesome that you walked the great wall of china last week, we're proud that you've made it that far in life, but most of us are just trying to get by & having these stories told to us created a disconnect in how we can relate to you.