PENFED Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
PENFED Credit Union President & CEO James Schenck
James Schenck

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good benefits, nice people, great work life balance" (in 20 reviews)

• "PenFed's commitment to work/life balance is also a plus as a millenial early in my career" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance is mostly non existent" (in 12 reviews)

• "Upper management is out of touch with how things work on a day to day basis" (in 14 reviews)

"Great Atmosphere, Amazing Opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I have been working at PENFED Credit Union full-time

Pros

PenFed has a very welcoming culture. I enjoy working with my team and they challenge me day in and day out. We (along with other employees outside of my team) plan activities outside of work because we have good people and they are fun to be around. PenFed has supplied me with all of the tools that I need to be successful.

The benefits are good - pretty standard within the industry.

The greatest part about PenFed is that there is not an intimidating hierarchy. You often see our CEO around the building and, if he doesn't recognize you, he will come up to you and ask about your role, experience, and other questions about PenFed. This resonates throughout the firm. Not many companies allow for daily conversations between a non-senior employee and the VP of your department.

Moral of the story is... they invest in you (gym, meditation, snacks, etc.) and I don't see a single reason why I would ever leave.

Cons

Sometimes a very fast-paced environment, but you shouldn't see that as a con.

Advice to Management

Keep being personable and pushing PenFed to help their members do better!

Oct 1, 2018 – University Relations and Campus Recruit Lead

Thanks for reviewing us. It is important to us, as an organization, that you feel welcome, challenged, and part of this team. We will continue to work on our investment in our employees and being... More

2. "Decent"

I have been working at PENFED Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits, holiday time off, competative pay.

Cons

No big cons for PenFed Credit Union.

Oct 15, 2018 – University Relations and Campus Recruit Lead

Thank you for your review. We are glad that you feel we have good benefits and coverage for our employees.

3. "Not how they appear!"

I have been working at PENFED Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Foundation, co-workers, and what they say their culture is

Cons

Pay, upper management, HR, technology, sales focused over members, and so much more including they make it obvious employees under upper management don’t matter and easily replaceable.

Advice to Management

To upper management, treat your managers and below better! To HR, upper management is not always truthful so start listening to others, to HR, pay better! It’s sad you lose so many great associates due to above.

Oct 15, 2018 – University Relations and Campus Recruit Lead

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that you are having issues with the organization. We encourage you to talk with your HR Rep to give us the ability to understand what concerns and... More

4. "Too many mergers!"

Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Augusta, GA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Augusta, GA

I worked at PENFED Credit Union full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

PenFed has some great people that WANT to do the right thing . Too many mergers caused them to be unable to do a good job to help the members or place the merged employees appropriately.

Cons

Difficult to transition from a small organization where everyone has a name to a place where everyone is a number.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to fit merged employees into roles according to their current pay scale and instead try to fit them into roles according to their abilities!

Oct 9, 2018 – University Relations and Campus Recruit Lead

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback and will be sure to take your points into consideration during discussions. We want employees to feel that they are in the right position and... More

5. "Fast growing"

Pros

Great coworkers and benefits. A lot of growth in short time.

Cons

Too many directors and vp’s and not enough people to do the work.

Oct 2, 2018 – University Relations and Campus Recruit Lead

Thanks for the feedback. We will continue to work on having good benefits and growth opportunities for our employees.

"Military Friendly Company"

I have been working at PENFED Credit Union full-time

Pros

First, I've seen some reviews that HR sent us an email asking for a positive review... that is not true. Here's an excerpt from the HR email I received, "...request an honest review. Feel free to voice your likes, dislikes, and suggestions for improvement."

I'm a veteran and I've never worked a company so dedicated and supportive of the military community. The company culture focuses on serving the military community and leadership is passionate about it. The compensation and benefits are better than the government contractors I've worked for in the past. There seems plenty of opportunities for growth as there is a preference for promoting from within. They are growing but when they shut down branches they never fire anyone... they always find a place for every employee affected by the closure. They are also investing a lot of time and money to create a workplace environment that engages all of the employees. They offer employee loan rate discounts. I also thought the onboarding was great... it was done in person (not just a bunch of online courses) and they made sure I got everything I needed... no BYOD. The CEO tells his leaders to be sure to recognize and reward those who go "above and beyond." Overall, it's the best company I've ever worked for... I love the culture (serving those who serve) and the leadership philosophy aligns with my own.

Cons

Not much of an opportunity for 50-100% remote work yet that I know of. I'm also sure there are some managers that are difficult to work for but that's true at any company and not the case for me.

Advice to Management

Continue the focus on taking care of your employees and they will take care of the mission/members and they will stick around as well. Provide leadership training to your managers as that will have the biggest impact on employee engagement, productivity, satisfaction, and retention.

Oct 1, 2018 – University Relations and Campus Recruit Lead

Thank you for your review. We are glad that your feel that our philosophy aligns with your own and that you feel that we are passionate about our military, our members, and our employees. We work to... More

"This Job is HOT GARBAGE!!!!!!!!"

Former Employee - Msr
    Former Employee - Msr

I worked at PENFED Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get some money every two weeks

Cons

Hey you reading this. Yes you listen closely. Do like to be lied to? Do you like to take a job where they don't tell you everything you need to do. Then threaten to fire you when you don't do the thing they didn't tell you about? Do you like seeing people being praised for there fashion sense over actual hard work? Do you like working on outdated equipment that crashes daily. Finally do you like coming to work seeing your once happy coworkers turn in miserable souls wanting to be anywhere on Earth, but where they actually are? Well if you answered yes to most of these then come to Penfed. A place where your dreams go to die!!!!!!

Advice to Management

Get a new occupation

Oct 15, 2018 – University Relations and Campus Recruit Lead

Thank you for your review. We are sorry you had a bad experience during your time here and encourage any employee who is having issues to have open and honest conversations with their manager during... More

"Pen Fed is an amazing company"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

Great supportive boss, awesome smart ops and assistant manager, Team is eager to learn and growth their career. Members appreciate the great service

Cons

We are super excited to upgrade our system in the fall

Advice to Management

Please continue to be supportive

Oct 1, 2018 – University Relations and Campus Recruit Lead

Thanks for reviewing PenFed. We are happy to know that you have a supportive team , of all levels, that you work with.

"Ops Officer"

Current Employee - Ops in Clarksville, TN
    Current Employee - Ops in Clarksville, TN

I have been working at PENFED Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I absolutely love my CREDIT UNION!!! They truly care about you and will do the best they can by you and for you! The benefits are amazing! Better than anywhere I've ever been! This is a MUST PLACE to work if you are looking for a home!

Cons

I don't have any at the moment!

Oct 1, 2018 – University Relations and Campus Recruit Lead

We are so glad you gave us a review! We love to hear that you love us and we are lucky to have employees that feel that this is a great place.

"CALLING MEDIA'S ATTENTION"

I worked at PENFED Credit Union full-time

Pros

Hardworking employees and reasonable benefits.

Cons

The company has been maltreating the employees especially the IT department, specifically employees 45 years of age and up. Employees are being either terminated or harassed until they resign. It seems like the SVP was hired to clean up. After several people were forced to resign, they tried to go to HR and CEO but nothing was done. Later on, the SVP was promoted to Chief Digital Officer. Does that even exist? This SVP who is now the CDO and the CIO would tell employees they have no empathy. Who does that? They are brutal and heartless. THIS IS WITHOUT EXAGGERATION. TALK TO FORMER EMPLOYEES FROM IT DEPARTMENT.

Advice to Management

REACH OUT TO EMPLOYEES AND LISTEN. CONTACT THE FORMER EMPLOYEES FROM IT DEPARTMENT BEFORE THE MASS LAWSUIT IS FILED.