PENFED Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
PENFED Credit Union President & CEO James Schenck
James Schenck

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good benefits, nice people, great work life balance" (in 21 reviews)

• "PenFed's commitment to work/life balance is also a plus as a millenial early in my career" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance is mostly non existent" (in 12 reviews)

• "Upper management is out of touch with how things work on a day to day basis" (in 15 reviews)

1. "I'm a part of something bigger than myself"

I have been working at PENFED Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's by no means perfect but at the end of the day, I feel surrounded by awesome people who genuinely care about me as a person.

Cons

Growing pains. Different departments seem to be on different pages as the company evolves. Better communication goes a long way.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward!

2. "Great company"

Current Employee - IT Service Desk Analyst in Papillion, NE
    Current Employee - IT Service Desk Analyst in Papillion, NE

I have been working at PENFED Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They care about the people who work for them .They want to make sure that employees succeed and push them to become better employees

Cons

The technology is a little bit behind the times but that is starting to change.

Advice to Management

Micro managing does not work. It makes employees feel like they are not doing their job correctly or are not performing correctly which would be better addressed in a 1 on 1.

3. "Overall good employer"

I have been working at PENFED Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, good work-life balance, nice co-workers, opportunities to learn

Cons

Career limitations for those not living in D.C. area

Advice to Management

It would be to the benefit of the organization to open higher-level (non-Ops) positions in the non-D.C.-area locations. The reason behind opening service centers in different time zones is to be there for the members. Having other departments operate at a higher-level in the other service centers will allow for a much longer working day and more benefit to the membership.

Nov 21, 2018 – University Relations and Campus Recruit Lead

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your input on growth opportunities in other locations and will forward your feedback to the appropriate channels.

"member service rep"

I worked at PENFED Credit Union full-time

Pros

can work from home after 6 months

Cons

not enough pay for what we do

Advice to Management

grow up

Nov 21, 2018 – University Relations and Campus Recruit Lead

Thank you for your review.

"Wowzers -Run for the hills."

Current Employee - Somewhere Between the 7th and 11th Floor in Tysons, VA
    Current Employee - Somewhere Between the 7th and 11th Floor in Tysons, VA

I have been working at PENFED Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some great people work here. Foundation does great work.

Cons

Non-organized - disorganized is too kind and suggests that some organization exists.
    No vision.
    No direction.
    No plan to improve (SF is not a plan)
    Managers don't know how to communicate, manage, listen, or look you in the eye. Vendors are trusted more than employees because employees are "jaded" by working here.
    Ask yourself - do you want to be ignored for being an employee JUST because your an employee? Do vendors really know best 'cause they're so agreeable? REALLY? WTF people????? Who in their right mind trusts a sales person over employees who are passionate about their jobs and have a vested interest in improving the company? This shows the total lack of respect the SR management has for their employees. (If you're in sales and want to unload some overpriced crappy software, this might a "PRO").
    And no Mr or Ms HR rep, I'm not going to HR - I've seen what happens to good people who complain. (Hint: they get FIRED!!!!)

Advice to Management

Just make it better. Stop putting up with incompetent abusive managers. Promote the good people before they're all gone. Or at least let people transfer departments. Please stop settling for "80% is good enough" because it's not.
    Or don't.

"Disorganized, Disassociated Dysfunctional, Dated, Doddered, and Defunct."

Current Employee - Mortgage Specialist in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Mortgage Specialist in Omaha, NE

I have been working at PENFED Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Legally they have to pay you but the pay is relative.

Cons

Disorganized Dysfunctional and Dated are the top three. The attitude is off the charts this unwillingness to be better or have more modern and current processes is ridiculous. There are long hours, no training, no real communication if so your talked to like a 5yr old. No policies and procedures, systems are trash. Etc

Advice to Management

The un-willingness to change the attitude behind the processes that are aged along with how employees are treated will continue the revolving door of turnover. There needs to be a removing of bad management because of you can’t teach or train someone to be better it because they didn’t want to be better there is a difference between “able to” and “willing to” PenFed is unwilling to come out of the archaic ways and unwilling to train, unwilling to hiring good managers ... the negative reviews you read are true. I have only been here a short period of time (not even 6mos) and getting ready to quit. Choose wisely when given an offer.

7. "It's all a Facade.................."

I have been working at PENFED Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Coworkers
    It's a Paycheck
    Did I already mention the paycheck?

Cons

Everything about this place is a facade and a lie. All Penfed cares about is there corporate image. You have to deal with favoritism, dated equipment and incompetence on every level. That's why the turnover rate is so high in every department. Penfed only cares about Penfed. They do not care about there employees. They pay lip service to us "Oh, how can we improve, Oh, you are the back bone of Penfed where nothing without you, Oh how can we make things better." We as employees have told them time and time again. You what they do? You already know the answer, nothing! Then they got the nerve to beg us to give them positive scores on this site. Then turn around and deny it when they respond to someone. And the only reason they respond to someone is to save face. They don't care! Penfed just wants to look good so when a someone reads these reviews they won't think there so bad. The positive reviews on this site are all phony. Not one of my coworkers likes this company period and everyone of them is looking to leave. Because I know someone in corporate is going to see this review. Please do not bother responding to this, saying things like "We appreciate your honesty and Thanks for your candidness ." Save it! Just ignore this like you ignore us on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Advice to Management. No response! If you don't know why just read my review one more time.

Nov 21, 2018 – University Relations and Campus Recruit Lead

Thank you for your review. We are genuinely sorry to hear that you are having a tough experience. We do recommend that you talk to your human resources business partner and talk about your exact... More

"Not what they appear"

Former Employee - Engineer in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I worked at PENFED Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers (until the great ones leave), pay (until you're told you earn too much), schedule (until you're directed to report to work, after another late night), growth (until your performance is based on administering another enterprise application which doubles your already full-time workload)

Cons

If certain people decide (or person decides) they don't like you, do not expect to last much beyond your next review. I know the person who was doing this job, he was told he made too much. According to him, his next review was suddenly sub-standard, whereas he said his previous reviews were "meets" or "exceeds". He even showed me a letter praising him a few months before the person who signed the letter, let him go.

Advice to Management

Drop the "destination employer" strategic intent. The very high turn-over rate clearly says your intention is to be a strategic employer of IT talent, regardless of longevity.

Nov 21, 2018 – University Relations and Campus Recruit Lead

Thank you for your review. We work hard to ensure that the employee reviews are based on the work performance of the individual. Please work with your HRBP to discuss any concerns you may have so... More

9. "Decent"

I have been working at PENFED Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits, holiday time off, competative pay.

Cons

No big cons for PenFed Credit Union.

Oct 15, 2018 – University Relations and Campus Recruit Lead

Thank you for your review. We are glad that you feel we have good benefits and coverage for our employees.

"Not how they appear!"

I have been working at PENFED Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Foundation, co-workers, and what they say their culture is

Cons

Pay, upper management, HR, technology, sales focused over members, and so much more including they make it obvious employees under upper management don’t matter and easily replaceable.

Advice to Management

To upper management, treat your managers and below better! To HR, upper management is not always truthful so start listening to others, to HR, pay better! It’s sad you lose so many great associates due to above.

Oct 15, 2018 – University Relations and Campus Recruit Lead

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that you are having issues with the organization. We encourage you to talk with your HR Rep to give us the ability to understand what concerns and... More