PENFED Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
PENFED Credit Union President & CEO James Schenck
James Schenck

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefits, solid leadership, CEO who cares about the membership (in 14 reviews)

• PenFed's commitment to work/life balance is also a plus as a millenial early in my career (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not promoted (in 10 reviews)

• Detached middle and upper management (in 10 reviews)

"Great place to be and headed in the right direction!"

Current Employee - Manager in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in McLean, VA

I have been working at PENFED Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been at PenFed for a year. It is definitely an organization in metamorphosis, but headed in the right direction. We have a fantastic building and environment full of dedicated professionals with the common goal of helping our members do better. Every time an employee discovers an area or process that needs a fix, it’s viewed as an opportunity to improve the organization, not just extra work. If you are looking for an opportunity to join an organization dedicated to being the best it can be, then PenFed should be on your list of companies. If you are the type of person who likes to take ownership, fix something, and see the resulting impact of your effort, there isn’t a better place in the DC metro area to call your employer.
    In addition, we have great benefits, generous leave policy, all the tools and technology we would ever need, and plenty of training to keep the ship headed in the right direction.

Cons

As with any organization dealing with growth and change, there are speed bumps, road blocks, and hurtles to navigate – growth always presents its fair share of challenges. Some people see these hurtles as extra work, and some see them as opportunities to expand one’s skill set and ultimately raise their market value. If you see a challenge as an opportunity, you will not have much of a “Con” list after joining PenFed.

Advice to Management

Keep heading in the direction we’re going – it’s the right direction for our organization and our members. Listen to your boots on the ground and make sure your executive team keeps focusing on our winning strategy and keeps the line level decisions with the middle managers where they should be.

"Getting better in so many ways"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at PENFED Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In the last 6 months, I've seen multiple improvements in PenFed as an employer. The benefits are getting better and are now closer to standard industry benefits. There has been a huge hiring surge to help with the workload. Work spaces have been renovated and are now great. And there is much better decision making and collaboration at the executive and senior management levels.

The key thing that hasn't changed - PenFed's personal and professional caring for its employees makes this a very special place to work.

We're growing and that's wonderful. We're improving our technology and that's wonderful too.

Cons

Still more work than people to do it so the hours can be long.

Advice to Management

Don't stray from the path we're currently on - it's working!!!

"Horrible management"

I worked at PENFED Credit Union full-time

Pros

Family oriented and understanding

Cons

Management team and core were passive aggressive and cold.

"Uncommunicative work environment."

Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Eugene, OR

I worked at PENFED Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good coworkers, occasional food, gym, generous internet access during off time, excellent health benefits.

Cons

Metrics do not take current situations into consideration, no movement between positions possible (even lateral) without reaching metric goals that may not be possible at the time, improper communication about system and policy changes (including estimated solution times for ongoing issues), communication between departments is also minimal. The general movement of the company seems to be going in the direction of a typical bank - expansion over member satisfaction.

Advice to Management

Facilitate better communication between departments & between managers/workers. Take into consideration individual worker situations when determining whether they should be allowed a lateral move & don't restrict solely based on adherence to metrics.

"Love it"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Augusta, GA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Augusta, GA

I have been working at PENFED Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've heard negative reviews, but I love my job and team. I work in the Payment, Products, and Services department. They communicate well and always give helpful constructive criticism. The CEO tries to send out frequent encouraging emails and keeps all the employees up to date on internal news.

Cons

I do wish they had a more comprehensive training department. I came on board as part of a merger and have had to forge my own way. Quite frequently, I have to halt my progress because I don't have access to certain functions or sites. It takes a while to get cleared and get access from IT.

Advice to Management

Keep up the communication. In the job descriptions, attach a list of accesses, permissions, and drives that the employee will need. Give training on how to use each one and its relevance to the position.

"Supervisor"

I have been working at PENFED Credit Union full-time

Pros

Rapidly growing company constantly looking for new talent. Trying to innovate and adapt the latest and greatest technology. Goal to become the best and not afraid to spend money to make it happen.

Cons

Individual employee pay below market average.

"Opportunities for Growth"

I have been working at PENFED Credit Union full-time

Pros

I've been at PenFed for 8 months now and I've had so many opportunities to work with people across different teams and been given the resource and guidance to advance in my career. PenFed's commitment to work/life balance is also a plus as a millenial early in my career.

Cons

A little old fashioned, but definitely changing now with the new, quality hires coming in.

Advice to Management

Be open to new ideas.

"Poor senior management"

Former Employee - IT Manager in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Chantilly, VA

I worked at PENFED Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Middle managers and peers were some of the nicest people I have ever worked with or for. Pay is decent for this area.

Cons

Senior management is completely out of touch. IT VPs are lost and have no vision, but will terrorize the junior staff if anything goes wrong.

Advice to Management

Stop with the teacher's pets already! The people who you associate with are leading you the wrong way! Listen to those who actually do the work and make things happen.

"Excellent vision."

I have been working at PENFED Credit Union full-time

Pros

Excellent business strategy. Earnest, dynamic and capable DEO.

Cons

Growing pains - but being addressed with very good new hires

Advice to Management

Your heart's in the right place. Stay the course.

"No room for growth."

Current Employee - Bank Teller in Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - Bank Teller in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at PENFED Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

members, some co-workers, members, members

Cons

Pay, lack of communication, benefits....