PKF International Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
John Sim

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • working hours, Stringent HR policies (in 5 reviews)

• lack of company objectives, relatively low salary (in 4 reviews)

1. "senior audit"

Current Employee - Audit Senior in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Audit Senior in Houston, TX

Pros

work life is really flexible

Cons

I don't think there is any

Advice to Management

the manager are all supper nice!

2. "Awesome people"

Former Employee - Marketing in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing in Houston, TX

Pros

Great Benefits, Great people to work for and with

Cons

Paid time off could be better

Advice to Management

listen to the work staff

"PKF Texas - Work for them!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at PKF International (More than 8 years)

Pros

PKF Texas cares about its employees. They are very competitive in terms in salary. They offer great benefits, perks and flexibility. It's a family atmosphere. Employees are also given the opportunity to learn and advance their careers. While it's still public accounting, the overtime expectations are much lower than other firms.

Cons

Just like every other company, there will always be things that can be improved. However, I think PKF Texas gets most things right and they are always working to improve the company, keep their employees happy and grow.

"Not bad"

Former Employee - Texas in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Texas in Houston, TX

Pros

Good start for young student especially college students. They could learn a log of auditing skills and practice.

Cons

busy season long hours working. billable hours very long to cheer the management and no life.

Advice to Management

Try to get more people in busy season to get the job done.

"Run!"

Former Employee - Staff in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Staff in Lawrenceville, GA

Pros

Monthly treats for birthdays and anniversaries. Free coffee.

Cons

The demographic is retirement age. Most everyone is just there to collect a paycheck, talk behind your back, but friends to your face, they are reluctant to change and are just buying time to retire. Few people are there to make a change, but unable to, do to the executive management "all knowing"

Advice to Management

You are part of the problem. Hire people that are experts in their fields, yet don't let them have a voice or allow them to make a difference.

"Audit department in San Diego Office"

Former Employee - Accountant/Auditor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Accountant/Auditor in San Diego, CA

I worked at PKF International (More than a year)

Pros

Small office will allow you to work on various types of engagements

Cons

Salary not comparable to other small firms in area. Have high turnover and have trouble replacing staff. We tried to fill a senior position the entire time I was there. Management will make you feel incompetent, offer you no formal feed back. On a random day of their choosing you will be called into their office and be handed a laundry list of reasons why you suck at your job (and it seems like at life for that matter.) No incentives to pass CPA exam or obtain license. I paid all study materials and exam fees out of pocket and was never compensated for any of it ( Over $2,600). I keep close contact with people in the office and they tell me morale is at a all time low. Miserable experience.

Advice to Management

Be more proactive in complementing your staff for their hard work. Boost morale by showing appreciation of staff and value their hard work and efforts

"Not bad for public accounting"

Current Employee - Tax Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at PKF International full-time

Pros

Lots of perks. Free parking, beverages, Wednesday breakfasts, lunches during busy seasons. Bonus for getting your CPA and all professional expenses covered. The best thing about the company is that it feels like a family. The firm does a lot of extra activities and events so it feels like a very social place.
    Hard work and quality work is recognized. Seniors, managers, and directors will tell you when they are pleased so it is nice to know that you are not working anonymously.

Cons

Work/life balance is tough here. But I guess it's the same all over in public accounting. If you're doing this, you pretty much have to accept that you will have no life 6 months out of the year, and then maybe more than that. If you want to move up here you will have to do more than just put in your time, you really need to go the extra mile. And you will only be expected to give more of yourself if you want to move into management.
    My major issue with the workload is that sometimes management is so project driven that one or two people will end up working 70+ hours while the rest of the staff are walking out the door at 4pm.
    I'm still trying to decide if this is really where I want my career to go or not.
    I'm still trying to decide whether this

Advice to Management

Promotions to management are rare because of turnover at the staff level. I think that the management of the firm needs to realize that it is indicative of a problem when they have to hire so many managers from outside the company.

8. "Was a better place to work in the past, not so great in the present."

Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Houston, TX

Pros

4 weeks vacation, catered lunches during busy season, free beverages, free parking and catered breakfast every Wednesday. Even though I've been dissatisfied overall for some time now, I still believe that the firm President has his employees' best interests in mind and just has issues with communicating that in an effective manner to the junior staff.

Cons

Over the last couple of years, there seems to have been a shift in the overall work environment and attitude in the office. I find much of the change in the tax department due to turnover, but can't really speak to the other departments. When experienced employees choose to leave they are typically not replaced, leaving the remaining employees to pick up the slack. Management's solution seems to be bringing on new hires every 6 - 9 months with little to no experience to bump up the overall head count but without addressing the issue of inexperience. This creates a stressful work environment for the remaining employees as we are often left without experienced staff/seniors to help out on the more complicated projects.
    Another frustration comes from the constant implementation of new processes or procedures that management doesn't follow or enforce. I feel it would help solidify the tax department if the people making the decisions and guiding the department were made to follow the same rules as the rest of us.

Advice to Management

When an employee leaves, hire someone to fill their position at the same level. Hold the higher-ups accountable for following their own rules. Open communication is key. At a departmental level I would rather feel connected to the decision maker(s), even if the issue/decision was not favorable to me, rather than be left wondering if management is even aware of the issue.

"My experience has been positive while working at PKF. I have been given challenging projects to work on."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

The opportunities I have been given to learn have made this job challenging but rewarding. This is not a place for someone who cannot deal with pressure. Public accounting is that way, though. When I have needed to be off due to family or my own health circumstances, my manager has stepped in to take over. I love my coworkers.

Cons

I am not sure that there is a downside. Public accounting is hard and I know some of my coworkers gripe about it and don't like the hours but I do not see how PKF could change that.

Advice to Management

Keep trying and learning just like the rest of us are.

"Disappointing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

job stability, 4 weeks of vacation, and friendly co-workers/management.

Cons

No work life balance whatsoever, promises are made and not kept while they continue to string you on in hopes of using you to complete jobs in an unreasonable amount of time. The pay is not commensurate with the amount of hours and you would be better off going to big four if you're going to work that much.

Advice to Management

Change the way you deal with your employees and for once be sincere about your promises instead of just giving lip service.