PLS Logistics Services Account Executive Trainee Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 23, 2018

Account Executive Trainee

Greg Burns

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Able to make a nice income if willing to grind in the beginning to grow a book of business" (in 19 reviews)

• "Great work environment, you get what you put into it" (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • "You are there to build a "book of business" which takes time and a lot of communication with companies" (in 19 reviews)

• "Everything you have read about HIGH turnover is completely true" (in 35 reviews)

"Account Executive Trainee"

Current Employee - Account Executive Trainee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Account Executive Trainee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at PLS Logistics Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I get to work with some really cool people. The sales can be difficult but you just need to be aggressive and assertive. I am finding some really good success early on and can already see how rewarding this can be as i continue growing my portfolio of clients. New software is coming that will only increase our efficiencies as well

Cons

Wish i had a little more support at times as when I'm busy, it is difficult

Advice to Management

Huge help in my success thus far

Jan 3, 2018 – Marketing Manager

We are happy to know you enjoy your position at PLS. We look forward to the success the future will bring, especially with the new advances in technology and employee engagement. Thank you for the... More

2. "Account executive trainee"

I worked at PLS Logistics Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Loved working here just took a new career path would recommend anyone with a go getter mentality to work here. Environment is amazing and the people you work with are fun in and out of work...it is cut throat but that's expected in sales. My managers Dan and Denis were both there for help whenever needed. Really enjoyed my time here would go back in a heartbeat

Cons

Sales training is lacking but they are working on way of improving it now so should be resolved soon. Communication is sometimes an issue but it's a very high pace job so understandable

Advice to Management

Need to improve sales training also invest more in you're employees high turnover is a huge turnoff. But overall I really enjoyed my experience in the southside office and would recommend working for PLS

Aug 28, 2018 – Marketing Manager

Thank you for your feedback! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your experience in our Pittsburgh office.

"Disfunctional Company, READ OTHER REVIEWS!"

Current Employee - Account Executive Trainee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Account Executive Trainee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at PLS Logistics Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Easy to BS throughout the day

Cons

-No one takes this job seriously which makes it difficult for anyone who wants to succeed

-Dirty Environment (kitchen, etc.)

-Managers are never available when needed

-Hard to take the job seriously, most new employees leave within 2-4 months

-Some employees can slack off, miss sales goals and keep their jobs. Others are held to a different standard and easily dismissed.

-“Bro” Type Of Culture, some may say douchebaggy

-They won’t say anything about working weekends UNTIL AFTER your first week, then suddenly you find yourself working two Saturdays a month and realizing the salary really only amounts to a small hourly rate when you do the math.

-Negative place in general

Advice to Management

Tough one here. I’ve worked for startups and mid level companies and haven’t seen the problems this place has.

Mar 13, 2018 – Marketing Manager

It’s disappointing to hear your negative takeaway about the time you’ve spent with us. The AET position can be very difficult at times and we are constantly looking for ways to improve the position... More

4. "Good Building Block"

I have been working at PLS Logistics Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, Engaging industry, Team atmosphere, good support from management/coworkers, Great experience for recent grad, great location in Old City, Philadelphia.

Cons

Hard to gain traction in sales, Clients and customers lack respect for the position, long hours for little pay, pointless Saturday sessions.

Advice to Management

Eliminate or scale back Saturday shifts, place higher emphasis on sales training to better prepare AETs entering the sales cycle - I felt that I was thrown into sales without being given a point of reference.

Jan 18, 2018 – Marketing Manager

Thank you for your review and it’s great to see you are enjoying your time in Philly! You have been there for less than a year, but give it time and we know you will begin to see the success grow. We... More

5. "Account Executive Trainee"

Current Employee - Account Executive Trainee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Account Executive Trainee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at PLS Logistics Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment. Fast learning environment, well rounded training with constant mentoring. Great place to build a sales career!

Cons

Get what you put it, sales can be difficult but if you follow the course you will succeed.

Advice to Management

Keep working hard for you employees. In a tough sales environment it helps to know you have our backs.

Aug 21, 2017 – Marketing Manager

Thanks for your review!

"Account Executive Trainee"

Former Employee - Account Executive Trainee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive Trainee in Dallas, TX

I worked at PLS Logistics Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you love verbal abuse work here

If you love managers who only look out for themselves work here

If you love people who will tell you the wrong thing for personal gain for their "favorites" work here

If you need a stepping stone work here if you have no other option

Cons

I would give PLS Logistics a 0 if I could

I honestly can't think of one pro...

All you do is make a ton of cold calls and if you're a "favorite" you advance

If you are a girl.... good luck with their sexual harassment

If you need team support you won't find it here

They lie about the benchmarks and make it impossible to make with the companies having to be over 5 million to not have a credit check

You're definitely better off in a job where you would scrub toilets

Advice to Management

Get new GSM's

Aug 21, 2017 – Marketing Manager

Thanks for your review. These negative experiences are shocking as they do not represent PLS as an organization. Please report your accusations further to publicrelations@plslogistics.com as none of... More

"Pretty bad overall but good for a recent grad for a few months until you can find something better."

Former Employee - Account Executive Trainee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at PLS Logistics Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun staff, incentives to do well (example: food rewards, potlucks, etc)... good place to go when you are graduating college and need a job ASAP. It's a great introduction to the working professional world. You'll learn how to hustle, make a lot of calls, be on the phone and handle any situation, and how to not take no for an answer. If anything, this job is great to get some experience before you move to ADP (which, inevitably, you will apply to ADP like most PLS employees). Depending on when you start, the sales benchmarks are reasonable, and you'll earn commissions eventually. Most AETs leave before they earn any commission, but you will receive a salary until you eventually move to commission only, about 18 months into your tenure at PLS. Finally, if your manager likes you, you'll receive leads and customers handed down to you where all you have to do is make a call and you'll get business. This doesn't happen for most, but for the few who have gotten lucky, it's a blessing.

Cons

There is very minimal training and development, and a very high turnover. Of a training class of 20 people, only one or two will stay with the company longterm. Many people find better jobs with better salaries, hours, benefits. You're on the phone all day, no matter what and when you leave all of your calls will forward to your personal cellphone and if you don't answer, the calls will roll to someone else's cell. Oftentimes your clients will be rude, not answer your calls, and blame you for things that aren't your fault. You'll also speak with truckers and trucking companies who yell at and belittle you. This is the industry that we're in. Overall working here has made me a much more mean of a person.

Another big con is the lack of consistency between the offices. During the training phase, you must work 2 Saturday shifts a month. Nothing ever happens during these shifts and nobody ever covered a load. From what I heard, different managers are more relaxed than others when it comes to working these shifts. If someone is making the same pay and working like a dog while the others are barely doing the minimum, that says a lot about the organization and the lack of consistency. On a similar note, the working hours are 7:45 to 5:15 if you're at the cranberry office. Anywhere else, get there before the GSM (around 8-8:30) and you'll be fine. Where's the consistency in that?

Finally, I felt that the bro culture was terrible for the workplace. I know you're thinking I'm some loser who never got along and that's why I don't like the culture, but you are wrong. I fit in and had great interactions with my team. However, this beer drinking and sports culture doesn't benefit the organization in anyway since there is such a high turnover at PLS. These are my experiences and you can choose to take my advice or leave it, but if it came down to another job opportunity and PLS, I'd choose the other job. Or, at the very minimum, be prepared for this type of sales culture. From what I understand, every freight brokerage culture is like this, including TQL - PLS' biggest competitor.

At the cranberry office alone, several top performing people who had been with the company for anywhere from 10 to 20 years just up and quit. If you ask me, that says more about PLS than any review online ever could.

Advice to Management

Hire better GSMs who will be consistent and there for their team, after hours or on weekends.

Apr 11, 2017 – Marketing Intern

Thank you for your extensive feedback on your time with PLS. We will pass your comments on to management.

"College Students Beware"

I have been working at PLS Logistics Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The biggest pro is that you are guaranteed to get a full time offer, degree or no degree (none required). Casual office attire.

Cons

Like the other posts, I find it very strange that one finds pages of good reviews before getting to the scoop on the true PLS. It raises the question of how they got so many good reviews - I would like an answer to how they got employees to say such things - incentives? The company is essentially a pyramid scheme in the sense that they ride new employees to sign up new customers that are then gifted to the long term personal. They preach unethical behavior (a few specifics so their public relations can't give me a hard time) such as screwing over carriers out of detention and even going after prospects that are within the 60 days rule on salesforce. The job usually lasts 6 months or 9 if you succeed. Sales training consists of a 30 minute slide show. **changed to overtime when the law was going to shift and then changed back to longer hours and no OT after the injunction in Texas...... **

Advice to Management

Stop with the act. Catchy and cheap motivational slogans are not a supplement to real sales training. Try to build relationships with employees - maybe less people will leave the company if they actually feel like they are apart of a real company. No manager should preach "Don't ask for permission, ask for forgiveness" when it comes to playing by the corporate prospecting code. No management should read private skype messages and brag about it.

Dec 19, 2016 – Marketing Manager

I'm disappointed to see your negative outlook. I will share your advice with the leadership team.

"Do not work here"

Former Employee - Account Executive Trainee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Account Executive Trainee in Tampa, FL

I worked at PLS Logistics Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free coffee. Free pizza sometimes. People that work with you are down to earth and willing to help you. The pay was actually not that bad. It's a job to get right out of college to build your resume.

Cons

9/10 new hires are "let go" after the first 4 months. Don't let the recruiters fool you. This place is awful. You can work your hardest and be $1 away from hitting your number and still get "let go". You are just a number to them. Office politics are so blatantly obvious it's sickening. This job is extremely stressful because you have no clue when you will be "let go". Managers want you working non-stop without taking any breaks. If you go outside to eat a sandwich, your manager will go out of his way to confront you about why you should be cold calling instead of eating a sandwich (this is not an exaggeration because it happened to me over and over again). Do not believe any of the 5 star reviews. They are not real.

Advice: If you decide to take this job immediately start looking for employment elsewhere. You will regret it if you think you're going to last in this "company".

Advice to Management

None. You guys are too far gone.

Dec 19, 2016 – Marketing Manager

I'm surprised to see this feedback - PLS Is an industry leader and a key to our success is motivating and supporting our employees. I will share your review with the leadership team so they're aware... More

"Cold Calling and Logistics"

Former Employee - Account Executive Trainee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive Trainee in Houston, TX

I worked at PLS Logistics Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company gives you the resources you need to succeed. The start up vibe and culture make the job fun to go to. young staff, and always in a great area of town

Cons

There are quite a few.
    Logistics itself is just not easy, and the learning curve is steep.
    Don't fool yourself. This is a sales job. you will spend hours googling random companies only to call them and hope they have freight to ship, and hope they are willing to take a run on you.
    Very difficult to build your book of business, the market is pretty saturated and you are trying to be the middle man between demanding clients, and truly terrible drivers. The 2 never really mesh well.
    the constant fear of being fired month to month

Advice to Management

don't let the office turn into a frat house. the culture quickly went from a light hearted open door policy to a swear happy angry place

Dec 9, 2016 – Marketing Manager

Freight brokerage is a challenging but rewarding job. I'm sorry to see your negative outlook of PLS since we work hard to train our employees for success.