PLS Logistics Services Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Greg Burns

Pros
Cons
  • Nowhere to go other than build your book of business, benefits are not great (in 16 reviews)

• The industry does have a high turnover rate but if you are truly willing to put in the work you can find a lot of success (in 31 reviews)

1. "Great experience and great people"

Former Employee - Track & Trace Operator in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Track & Trace Operator in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at PLS Logistics Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

PLS employs great people who then form incredible teams. It's nice to work with those who share the same values. You can learn and get experience from true professionals.

Cons

Still few improvements possible re working conditions in some offices, but they are working on it.

Advice to Management

Keep in mind that appreciation motivates and inspires to perform better.

Apr 11, 2017 – Marketing Intern

Thank you for your feedback about your time with PLS!

"Pretty bad overall but good for a recent grad for a few months until you can find something better."

Former Employee - Account Executive Trainee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Account Executive Trainee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at PLS Logistics Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun staff, incentives to do well (example: food rewards, potlucks, etc)... good place to go when you are graduating college and need a job ASAP. It's a great introduction to the working professional world. You'll learn how to hustle, make a lot of calls, be on the phone and handle any situation, and how to not take no for an answer. If anything, this job is great to get some experience before you move to ADP (which, inevitably, you will apply to ADP like most PLS employees). Depending on when you start, the sales benchmarks are reasonable, and you'll earn commissions eventually. Most AETs leave before they earn any commission, but you will receive a salary until you eventually move to commission only, about 18 months into your tenure at PLS. Finally, if your manager likes you, you'll receive leads and customers handed down to you where all you have to do is make a call and you'll get business. This doesn't happen for most, but for the few who have gotten lucky, it's a blessing.

Cons

There is very minimal training and development, and a very high turnover. Of a training class of 20 people, only one or two will stay with the company longterm. Many people find better jobs with better salaries, hours, benefits. You're on the phone all day, no matter what and when you leave all of your calls will forward to your personal cellphone and if you don't answer, the calls will roll to someone else's cell. Oftentimes your clients will be rude, not answer your calls, and blame you for things that aren't your fault. You'll also speak with truckers and trucking companies who yell at and belittle you. This is the industry that we're in. Overall working here has made me a much more mean of a person.

Another big con is the lack of consistency between the offices. During the training phase, you must work 2 Saturday shifts a month. Nothing ever happens during these shifts and nobody ever covered a load. From what I heard, different managers are more relaxed than others when it comes to working these shifts. If someone is making the same pay and working like a dog while the others are barely doing the minimum, that says a lot about the organization and the lack of consistency. On a similar note, the working hours are 7:45 to 5:15 if you're at the cranberry office. Anywhere else, get there before the GSM (around 8-8:30) and you'll be fine. Where's the consistency in that?

Finally, I felt that the bro culture was terrible for the workplace. I know you're thinking I'm some loser who never got along and that's why I don't like the culture, but you are wrong. I fit in and had great interactions with my team. However, this beer drinking and sports culture doesn't benefit the organization in anyway since there is such a high turnover at PLS. These are my experiences and you can choose to take my advice or leave it, but if it came down to another job opportunity and PLS, I'd choose the other job. Or, at the very minimum, be prepared for this type of sales culture. From what I understand, every freight brokerage culture is like this, including TQL - PLS' biggest competitor.

At the cranberry office alone, several top performing people who had been with the company for anywhere from 10 to 20 years just up and quit. If you ask me, that says more about PLS than any review online ever could.

Advice to Management

Hire better GSMs who will be consistent and there for their team, after hours or on weekends.

Apr 11, 2017 – Marketing Intern

Thank you for your extensive feedback on your time with PLS. We will pass your comments on to management.

3. "Great New Manager (Scottsdale) & Great Resume Builder"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at PLS Logistics Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Scottsdale just hired a new manager a few months ago who knows what he is doing (Finally). He's been with the company 5+ years and still runs a successful book of business, which is not easy. Great work atmosphere & laid back. Great first job out of school, and experience to include on a resume if successful. Uncapped commissions -- If you're willing to work hard, day in & day out, you can make a lot of money. Don't expect to put in a year or two of hard work & coast, you need to bring it every day to maintain your business & continue to grow and make good money.There is typically a lot of negativity around the offices, surround yourselves by the successful ones (only a few) and you'll be on the right path.

Cons

The job is demanding. Again, you must be willing to bring it every day and occasionally work long hours if you want to be successful. However, I've had 4-5 managers at my time with PLS, and the one who is currently in Scottsdale, will give the best chance to be successful. Of course you have to be willing to work, but if you follow his plan, you will be successful. I can't say I agree with a lot of decisions made by upper level management nor comment on the future/outlook of the company. However, that really will not affect you in your position as an Account Executive (Trainee).

Advice to Management

Scottsdale manager - Keep doing what you're doing, & the office will finally be successful. To upper level management, take some advice from some of your front line employees who are working the market day in & day out. If you want to keep seasoned employees that have experience, appreciate their work ethic, and come up with more of an incentive structured commission structure. The 20% straight commissions structure is outdated. Be fair to your AE's. Hire mangers based upon skills & attitude & more than favoritism and simply listening to the opinion of 2-3 managers whom have been with the company for years. Whatever they say goes. My best advice, If you want into management, Go work in the Philadelphia or Corporate/SS. The last 8-10 managers have been hired from those locations & in my opinion will continue to come from those locations until their current managers decide to leave the company. Also, the CEO is pretty incompetent but nothing you can do about that. Just go out and party it up with the upper level management and you'll be well on your way to a managerial position in no time. CEO still kicking himself for not selling the company a year an half ago... that has to sting a little.

Apr 11, 2017 – Marketing Intern

Thank you for your feedback. We will pass your comments along to management.

5. "Customer support"

Current Employee - Customer Support in Cranberry Township, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Cranberry Township, PA

I have been working at PLS Logistics Services (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary and flexible work hours
    Good place to start your career with opportunity to move up
    Friendly staff

Cons

Communication is needed more between management and employees

Apr 11, 2017 – Marketing Intern

Thank you for your feedback about your time with PLS! We will pass on your comments to management.

6. "I came for the job, I found far more than just it."

Current Employee - Track & Trace in Cranberry, PA
    Current Employee - Track & Trace in Cranberry, PA

I have been working at PLS Logistics Services (More than a year)

Pros

• awesome both management and team
    • employee recognition scheme
    • regular 'happy hours'
    • productive employees
    • friendly atmosphere

Cons

• a lot of work with dosuments, kind of stressfull.
    • not easy to get a promotion

Apr 11, 2017 – Marketing Intern

Thank you for your feedback!

7. "Great place to work-)"

Current Employee - Finance in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Finance in Tampa, FL

I have been working at PLS Logistics Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working at PLS more than 2 years. PLS is definitely a great company to grow and develop within. There are great options to attend training courses.
    My personal feeling about the company as a whole from all I have seen and experienced over the past 2 years is that employees really matter and you are part of one big family.

Cons

More Bonuses would be perfect-)

Apr 11, 2017 – Marketing Intern

Thank you for your feedback about your time with PLS. We will pass on your comments!

8. "Company with good atmosphere."

Current Employee - Finance in Cranberry, PA
    Current Employee - Finance in Cranberry, PA

I have been working at PLS Logistics Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good stepping stone for the career.
    - There's great work/life balance.
    - Nice work environment.
    - Friendly people.
    - Competitive salary.

Cons

I have no cons, they are great to work with!

Advice to Management

N/A

Apr 11, 2017 – Marketing Intern

Thanks for your feedback!

9. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Billing Specialist in Cranberry, PA
    Current Employee - Billing Specialist in Cranberry, PA

I have been working at PLS Logistics Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good location of the office and comfortable working zones, wonderful team spirit and team work, flexible working hours and good career opportunities.

Cons

sometimes its very loud in the office, so you cannot concentrate on your work, small kitchen

Advice to Management

separate those departments that work mostly on the phone from those that mostly work with e-mails

Apr 11, 2017 – Marketing Intern

Thank you for your feedback! We will pass on your comments about office layout to management!

10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Indexer in Cranberry, PA
    Current Employee - Indexer in Cranberry, PA

I have been working at PLS Logistics Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I’ve been working at PLS Logistics Services for more than two years already. The company has proved itself to be a reliable organization with professional management. Employees are provided with clear reasonable instructions and suggestions with regard to their work organization and duties. But still certain flexibility is present in resolving current issues. Decent work environment and timely payment prove that the company is successful, reliable and its managing employees are involved in the company's daily life and activities.

Cons

there is always place to growth_)

Advice to Management

More happy hours would be great :)

Apr 11, 2017 – Marketing Intern

Thank you for your review!

11. "great place to work"

Current Employee - Operations in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Operations in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at PLS Logistics Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PLS is a great place to work first of all because the best co-workers. General atmosphere in the office is just amazing. Goals are high, so sometimes work is difficult, but what work isn`t? But still you can be sure that if you work hard you will get promoted.

Cons

Sometimes it is hard to concentrate because it`s noizy in the office.

Advice to Management

Provide more communication among teams.

Apr 11, 2017 – Marketing Intern

Thank you for your feedback! We will pass along your comments to improve.