PLS Logistics Services Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Greg Burns

Pros
Cons
  • Nowhere to go other than build your book of business, benefits are not great (in 16 reviews)

• The industry does have a high turnover rate but if you are truly willing to put in the work you can find a lot of success (in 30 reviews)

"PLS is what you make of it.... the more you put in the more you get out of it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cranberry, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cranberry, PA

Pros

I have been at PLS for just under 3 years and they have great training, a growing company, opportunities for advancement, and a fun open office environment. Manager's have an open door policy and are pretty easy going.... With an office in Florida I have seen some of my friends get to transfer to the warmer beach front office. All in all for a sales based company you are hard pressed to do much better. You just need to have a lot of drive.

Cons

Long hours and demanding work... When I interviewed I was told PLS would put the spotlight on you to perform and perform well. For me that was all I needed to hear I was hooked. For a lot of folks that does not fit well with them. This company is growing and with growth comes growing pains... You need to be upbeat and have a serious level of drive... If you are not type A it can be a hard place to work...

Advice to Management

Keep growing and keep trying... Rome was not built in a day and neither will PLS. There are going to be a lot of ups and downs but learn from mistakes and work towards being better... All in all the company has grown since I have been here… PLS must be doing something right.

"Great place to work for the competative entrepreneurial type"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Cranberry Twp, PA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Cranberry Twp, PA

Pros

Uncapped earning potential is the biggest upside in my opinion. Some people are not wired to live on 100% commission. If you look at the Account Executive role as your own business and treat it that way, you can do very well. Is the training up front tough?.. Sure. Can the hours be long ?.. yep. Are you going to have to make a ton of calls in order to build a successful book of business? .. You can count on it. But any solid business requires a solid foundation and that does not come without hard work. That hard work is meant to prepare you for what it takes to be successful in this job. Again.. if you are looking to come to work and just collect a paycheck for the hours you are at work... this job is most likely not the job for you. I have had multiple trainees start on my team as AET's who rolled out to be commissionable AE's and are making great money and love what they do. While you report to a branch manager as an AE, you do essentially become your own boss and are in no way micro managed once you become commissionable and roll out. No one plans out your day to day. It is on you to successfully manage your book of business, but yet you are given the resources to keep growing your business as needed.

The company has a young and energetic culture and is rapidly growing. Lots of events and happenings. I have made many close friends throughout my career. Being part of a company that is rapidly growing and expanding is exciting and leads to all kinds of opportunities for growth and advancement. With a new office in Jacksonville and more on the horizon.. this means opportunities for relocation.

Being a privately held company, ownership and leadership have alot of flexibility to implement new ideas and suggestions for improvement. I have personally taken ideas / suggestions to leadership and seen many of those ideas implemented as long as they make sense for the company.

The company's focus is on recognizing and rewarding success in sales not only in monetary compensation but also various sales contests. Some are group based and some are based on individual performance. The top performing sales people in the company are amongst the highest paid across the board which I believe really demonstrates the company's focus is rewarding producers and performers, and not paying fat salaries to high level executives.

Cons

This is a high stress job which will wear you down if you do not manage it accordingly. Because the company is growing, there is a high level of turnover as the best people rise to the top and others don't make the cut.

"Love it, everyday is something new!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Okay, so I read through enough negative comments from people who have not "made it" to finally reach the point where I thought it important that you hear from someone who LOVES it at PLS! First let me say this, I am extremely competitive, self starter with strong communication skills that loves to speak with people and find out the what, where, who, etc of their business and then find solutions that will help them execute their supply chains more effectively, and you know what I make great money doing it. The culture is great, my goodness we have a basketball court indoors that we use for many different contests or just to go play some "horse" if we are too stressed. We have cookouts all the time where the branch manager cooks for us and I love having SportsCenter playing in the background and music going all day. Leadership of the Branch is outstanding...I can not say enough about how strongly I feel about this place! Overall, we do have people that come in that must have interviewed well but when the time came to do the job they just did not have what it takes, sometimes that hurts the pride a little as I can see from some of the negative reviews. Thought it time you heard from the "other side of the fence."

Cons

Stressful
    Market conditions change quickly
    Logistics is never a well oiled machine, so many times there are last second changes that can happen, i.e. accidents with trucks, carriers that "fall of freight" that they agreed to take, etc

Advice to Management

Ensure more interviewing takes place to "weed out" candidates that obviously will not make it

"Great Opportunity and Great Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Account Executive Trainee in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

PLS offers tremendous opportunity. Although it is very demanding and a nice challenge, there is plenty of room for growth. Management does a great job at providing the necessary resources to help you succeed. It is a great work environment and your success lies solely on you and your drive to be successful.

Cons

For Account Executive Trainees, it can be mentally tough to hear rejections and the whole process itself is a challenge in general. The first year or two you will need to put in your hours, again, it is only for your own good.....but there are some long days for sure.

"You get out what you put in."

Current Employee - Account Executive in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

In this positition you can make as much money as the amount of work you want to put in. If you want put forth the effort and focus on building your own book of business you can control how much you make with no cap.

Cons

The job can be stressful at points but it depends on the book of business you have built for yourself. You also can have a lack of control sometimes with what happens but as long as you have good relationships with the people you work with you can control this.

"Account Executive in Training"

Current Employee - Account Executive Trainee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at PLS Logistics Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a wonderful opportunity to rise and grow in a team like environment. One of the few opportunities out there where you truly can name your own salary based on how hard you are willing to work and how committed you are to being successful. There is plenty of support and coaching available at all time you just have to take advantage! Too many perks and incentives to list, all in all its a fun and rewarding place to work.

Cons

There are expectations you must meet it takes a person truly committed to be successful but when you are you will be rewarded.

"Best Decision I Ever Made"

I have been working at PLS Logistics Services full-time

Pros

PLS is a company that lets you create your own destiny. You do not have to wait around to hope you get a raise every year. You go out and earn your raise and you will receive that raise sooner than you ever expected. PLS is always tweaking the company and the training to make it better for the employees that are not afraid of a little hard work. Nine hours a day, 5 days a week with no weekends is all you have to invest and you can make in excess of $100,000 within a few years. I joined PLS several years ago and never looked back. I could not be happier with the lucrative commissions, entertaining employee and customer events, and numerous lifelong professional and personal contacts I have made over the years.

Cons

You will have to work hard and you will have to work smart. If you cannot think on your feet and communicate effectively you will struggle. This job is not for everyone and that is explained many times in the interview process. The right people shine quickly. The wrong people stand out like a sore thumb. Make sure you are 100% committed to investing into your career before you take the job.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your people and your technology. We have to continue adapting to stay competitive.

"Unlimited Opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cranberry Twp, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cranberry Twp, PA

I have been working at PLS Logistics Services full-time

Pros

PLS is a growing company that offers those on the brokerage side unlimited earning potential. The job is demanding and the hours can be long, but the payoffs are definitely worth it. You have the ability to name your own salary once your reach comissionable status and can essentially give yourself a raise. As with any sales job, you've got to hit numbers but I think the goals are reasonable and set you up for success in the long run.

In addition to the salary I've learned a ton about transpotation and sales at PLS. Whenever you have a question or need help, someone is there to help you reach an answer or solve a problem. The coaching that you receive can help set you up for long term success in the business world.

Cons

The hours are long in the beginning and when you are running your own book of business you have to be on-call nights and weekends but if you manage your book of business correctly your issues during these hours will be minimal.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your people and technology. Those are the two items that can continue to grow the business in the short and long term.

"Happy to even have worked for this company"

Former Employee - TAS in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - TAS in Nashville, TN

I worked at PLS Logistics Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Pay, great management, nice colleagues

Cons

The supervisors are the the best.

Advice to Management

Never talk to anyone, become your own

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Account Executive Trainee in Cranberry, PA
    Current Employee - Account Executive Trainee in Cranberry, PA

I have been working at PLS Logistics Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Account Executive Trainee position is a great entry level sales opportunity. PLS provides great industry and sales training. The managers and "veteran" co-workers are very helpful and motivational. Success is unlimited due to the job being fully commissionable. I would highly suggest this job to anyone that is driven to succeed and likes being in control of their destiny.

Cons

Getting through and passing the benchmarks can be difficult, but they are realistic.