PMB Helin Donovan, LLP Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Accountant"

Current Employee - Staff Auditor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Auditor in Austin, TX

Pros

Great benefits: health, vision, dental insurance, 3% 401K match that vests immediately, lots of PTO. Great people to work with and challenging audits. Some overtime during busy season but lots of PTO during "down time" to make up for it.

Cons

More information on partner tracks.

2. "Overall a good employer"

I have been working at PMB Helin Donovan, LLP full-time

Pros

Great people...some of the best I've ever had the pleasure to work with. I know all offices may operate a tad differently, but overall their goal is to provide more of a work-life balance than most public accounting firms. The experience you gain is priceless. You have the opportunity to work on clients of all backgrounds and sizes. Benefits are great with 5 weeks PTO, 3% 401k matches, competitive salaries and bonuses, and a great fitness program. Insurance is a bit high but they're doing their best considering the current climate in that area. Decent training/CPE especially in the area of marketing skills. They have experienced a lot of significant changes in the past few years and while the transitions may have been somewhat difficult, the seem to have the firms best interests in mind. They appear to be on the verge of significant growth.

Cons

The firm in general has gotten a lot better in the area of communication over the last few years. That being said, there is still room for improvement. Also, they do not have a specific program to help develop those that are headed towards partner someday as I know some firms offer. The partners do offer mentoring whenever possible but a specific program would be nice to see.

Advice to Management

Focus on mentoring the "up-and-comers" as much as possible. Continue with your advances in communication down the chain (the results have been great thus far).

"Terribly Disorganized"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant

I worked at PMB Helin Donovan, LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits including health insurance, matching 3% 401k, and PTO.

Cons

Heavy on drama. The firm has no culture. Partners and management do a lot of talking but take no action. Partners and staff have left in droves over the past two years. Also, it doesn't take a lot of research to see that they have closed 2 offices in the last few months. An example of a firm that grew too quickly and then saw the writing on the wall that it wasn't working out.

Advice to Management

Create a culture.

PMB Helin Donovan, LLP Response

Feb 10, 2016 – Managing Partner

The Firm has made significant business decisions over the past two years to focus on profitability, culture and organic growth. Anytime a company or organization makes and implements such... More

"Decent"

Pros

The people are great and some remain my friends. Work was hard, but enjoyable.

Cons

Pay on the low side, management didn't communicate well, or at least it did not make it's way down the chain

Advice to Management

Look at big picture of not just work done and clients attained (kept), but also the culture and work/life balance. Employees who are appreciated, respected, and valued will be happier and work harder.

5. "Lots of Drama"

I worked at PMB Helin Donovan, LLP full-time

Pros

This is great place to develop your skills as an entry level position. There is plenty of work to be done and opportunities to learn.

Cons

There is lots of drama. Management is concerned with themselves as individuals and not what could help or benefit their employees. They would rather rehire all new employees each year than be honest with or kind to their current employees. They say they are open to culture change, but nothing actually changes.

Advice to Management

Your employees are people doing the best they can. I little bit of kindness goes a long way.

"Good place to work"

I have been working at PMB Helin Donovan, LLP full-time

Pros

Firm work environment and management is very good.

Cons

Health insurance is expensive for family coverage

"Lots of opportunities however....."

I have been working at PMB Helin Donovan, LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and okay health/savings benefits. Training is offered, maybe not in the past, but firm is trying to keep up. Increase in communications from partner level.

Cons

Culture was great but it has drastically changed. Compensation package is unfair. No real bonus program, but you get to work a lot overtime. Good talent leaves and the work loads are unevenly spread and never addressed.

Advice to Management

With the changes in culture don't expect to keep great people. Also treat all employees fairly, stop the favoritism. Partners that claim work/life balance should stop being so demanding after work hours, appreciate the fact employees will work that time, but stop the abuse.

PMB Helin Donovan, LLP Response

Jul 1, 2015 – Managing Partner

Public accounting is a difficult career choice and often time demanding. I understand public accounting can be frustrating and appear to be unfair when expectations are not met. Although we do not... More

"Great company. Effectively develops professionals for advanced work and future assignments."

Current Employee - Partner in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Partner in Austin, TX

I have been working at PMB Helin Donovan, LLP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people to work with, diverse client base among middle market clients. Manageable work hours and good benefits

Cons

Requires over time work during busy season.
    Needs to enhance evaluation process.

Advice to Management

Continue to allow growth of professionals and opportunities for advancement.

"Getting Better!"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at PMB Helin Donovan, LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has recently gone through a lot of changes which makes for some hectic moments, however this is understood by management and they take this into consideration when dealing with employees (or me at least). I'm a big culture guy and this management team expects hard work but they really do care about you providing for a nice environment. It's a stressful job so the lack of added unnecessary culture stress that you find at a lot of other firms is a big relief. They understand that life happens, and that you have to deal with it (I haven't found this at every firm). My benefits here are some of the best I received from tons of a vacation time, great insurance, 401k matching. I think you work on harder returns here than most firms this size, so the challenge is both frustrating and rewarding. Lastly, they listen, more void of ego than other firms I've worked at their desire is to make the processes easier and the firm better, not even two months in they would give consideration to my little inputs (again I haven't found this everywhere)... The new(er) PIC has a good vision and I think from my humble opinion will be taking this place in the right direction..

Cons

Changes, while they are tying down their processes this can be quite frustrating.. Understaffed, which they are currently working on

Advice to Management

Keep it up..

10. "Tax Department"

Former Employee - Tax Staff in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Tax Staff in Dallas, TX

I worked at PMB Helin Donovan, LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay with a nice environment

Cons

No training and no plans on training.